Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ex RTW employee speaks about APB

2»

Comments

• AldosACAldosAC Member CommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by sadeyx

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Very damaging to whom ? Again you talk as you yourself are somehow involved in production of APB ?

If indeed these comments are genuine, then try to consider the reason for them.

You dont "come out" and say such damning and slanderous things about an organisation for the sake of truth, you say them to damage the reputation of said organisation.   Thats the only possible reason!   What kind of person do you think he is after reading this?  Does integrity mean nothing to him?

This person has lost his job and will no doubt be seeking employment elsewhere.  so what do you think a prospective employer would think about this individual and the irresponsible way he has behaved after emplyoment termination?  He's just lost his job, do you really think someone would sabotage his own future for the sake of a few comments just days after?

I have no affiliation with RTW but I am an employer and do operate a succesfull business in the UK, as such I am person who pays attention to facts and details.

They are being made reduant!  i'm very well aware of the laws in the UK around Redundancy and termination of emplyoment.   He is currenty going through what is known as the 'consulation period' which goes on for no less than 30 days.  during this 30 days he is still bound by the terms of his contract.   So if these comments were true not only does he risk being fired for breach of contract he risks never working in the games industry for several years to come.

It should be obvious that i do not subscribe to this "OBEY YOUR SUPERIOURS" mindset.

Have you ever held a job?  Do you understand anything about responsibility?  If you sign a contract stating you will obey your superiors, unless they're in violation of that contract, you had damn well better do it.

The constitution itself gives us the freedom of speech. Which seedy corporate contract deny us. And you say yes to that?

By "constitution", are you referring to the Constitution of the United States?  Ya know, the one that applies to citizens of the United States, but doesn't do a whole lot for people that work in... oh... I don't know, Scottland?

The sad thing is that he as the worker gave all his love to the project. Which after that failed due to stupid decision of some executive that does not know the thing about gaming. That probably didnt  even play the game for more than 10 minutes , and dont know a thing about the competition , except what he saw in a spreadsheet.

Really now?  Do you touch yourself when you spout crap like this, dreaming of the fall of corporate society?  How about we keep fantasies out of this and try to pay attentiont to things this guy actually said.

Now that worker is fired, while the executive is still getting his fat paycheck.

Maybe he is, and maybe he isn't, but if he is, how long do you think that'll continue for?  Executives don't continue to get paid if their company shuts down now do they?  So how about we stop fantasizing that the "executives" are all out to destroy the world.

That is the sad truth. And that are the people ruining our games.

Oh, so they're our games now?  What a relief!  Here I was under the assumption that they were their games, and we were paying for the privilege of playing them.  Huh!  Glad to have that one cleared up...

And you expect the poor worker that had his life work ruined. To shut up about it ?

... life work?  Being a little molodramatic now aren't we? 

If anything he was to mild...

While I'm at it, how about we don't take a man's word as the gospel truth, simply because he said it.  Last time I checked, it still wasn't that difficult to lie convincingly.  Did this guy provide any credentials other than "I'm ex-RTW"?  Is anything he said actually verifiable?  Or are we just assuming now that everyone on the internet is an honest, upstanding citizen of the global community?  I'm not saying the man is lying, simply saying let's not forget where we are.  Did I mention I'm the President of EA?  Seriously, I am.  Seriously.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Robokapp

Seriosly. Biggest hype will get you great box sales in first 3 days. Then...you have the biggest expectations in the world to cater to. Super-short term profits won't cover development. Why...do this? It's silly. Spread word not hysteria.

90% of hype is player-generated.

For example: devs say "our game has PvP that matters, but we can't go into specifics just yet." Players think: "OMG OMG OMG it'll be DAoC 2! The same amazing RvR, except it'll have perfect class balance and no exploits or glitches and it'll be persistant and ever-changing and OMG OMG OMG YES I WANT THIS GAME!"

Some devs (*cough* ArenaNet *cough*) hype their game a lot and, when mixed with the normal player-generated hooplah, the total hype is astronomical. If devs don't give enough info, they're looked at as shady or not confident in their product, and if they give too much they provide plenty of fuel for over-hype and unrealistic expectations. Lose-lose. The best way to do it (in my opinion) is release information very carefully and very specifically; answers like "we can't talk about that right now" let peoples' imaginations run wild, and that's not a good thing.

As for the OP, interesting read. Yes, he didn't work on APB specifically but he was still with RTW. I thought the game was rather fun in beta until PunkBuster prevented me from playing it, but I doubt I would've paid anything for it after release.