Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA will not have an item shop, not in America, neither in Europe.

LocienLocien Member Posts: 87

Lately there has been a couple of rampant rumors spawned from speculation and too fast conclusions after a press release which introduced a collaboration between En Masse Entertainment and Digital River. On almost every TERA fansite as well as on MMORPG.com everyone has assumed these rumors to be true and started to spread doomsday propaganda as well as claiming that they will never play TERA.

En Masse Entertainment and Frogster Interactive have both continously claimed that there won't be any microtransactions in TERA and they haven't said anything else to this point to contradict that. These rumors all originated from a press release earlier this week when En Masse announced their cooperation with the company Digital River which is going to handle the payment system for TERA globally.

Now if you would like some evidence for the fact that TERA won't have an item shop, here it is;

http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showpost.php?p=201423&postcount=1  A statement released by senior producer Brian Knox which reads

"After a press release by Digital River announcing our e-commerce partnership a few players expressed concerns that TERA would be a micro-transaction game in addition to requiring a subscription fee; that is not the case.

TERA is not a micro-transaction or cash-shop item game. The game is built and designed to function as a subscription-based game. We would have to make dramatic changes to the game's design to support micro-transactions and there is no intention of doing so.

TERA will have paid services, which could include character transfer, name change and gender change. We do not have a complete list of these services yet, but we will let you know as we confirm them - those services will likely be available inside the game.

There may be a point in time of TERA's lifecycle that we offer "vanity item" sales, pets, and other items that players have enjoyed in other AAA+ titles.

To clarify the press release further; Digital River OFFERS many options to En Masse to choose from for TERA and for future products we publish

We're more than happy to answer questions, and hope that this clarification allays any concerns you might have."

http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showpost.php?p=166246&postcount=1  Here's a statement posted by senior community manager Even "Scapes" Berman voicing concerns about TERA's release in Europe which reads

"• There will not be a separate microtransaction payment model for TERA in Europe. TERA will use a subscription-based payment model in all regions."

http://www.tera-online.com/about_tera/faq/faq.php TERA's official FAQ page also explicitly states "Like other MMORPG titles, TERA will use a monthly subscription model with a retail box."

Now these rumors have to stop and I'm asking all of you to please end this and not talk about this more, okay? Thanks.

Comments

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by Locien

There may be a point in time of TERA's lifecycle that we offer "vanity item" sales, pets, and other items that players have enjoyed in other AAA+ titles.

Did you miss that part.  Sounds like they are looking at the potential of selling vanity items, pets etc in a cash/item shop to me.  It may not be at launch, but it is still something that they are considering.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by Shoju

Did you miss that part.  Sounds like they are looking at the potential of selling vanity items, pets etc in a cash/item shop to me.  It may not be at launch, but it is still something that they are considering.

Not this again...

Stop complaining about their "open to consider" stance against vanity items. It may or may never happen, also the majority likes them so you shouldn't be surprised.

Let's close this once and for all. :)

• hekimohekimo Member Posts: 85

omg they are considering adding vanity items in the distant future!!! pay to winnnnnn!!!!

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

Does it really matter? This style of payment is becoming very common among the MMOs. WoW, EQ , EQ 2 all do it. And I will bet a dollar that even the vaunted SW:TOR is going to do it as well, just look at Biowares DLC for ME2 and Dragon Age. Honestly it does not adversely affect your gameplay? Are they banging on your door attempting to steal your wallet? 

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

Originally posted by Serpentar

Does it really matter? This style of payment is becoming very common among the MMOs. WoW, EQ , EQ 2 all do it. And I will bet a dollar that even the vaunted SW:TOR is going to do it as well, just look at Biowares DLC for ME2 and Dragon Age. Honestly it does not adversely affect your gameplay? Are they banging on your door attempting to steal your wallet? 

There is no need trying to explain to trolls since they never plan to play the game in the first place. People who are so picky about stuff like this do not count for even 1% of players when it comes to a game like Tera, swtor, gw2 and wow and others. This is not darkfall where 99% are angry pisssed haters with no lifes. Real players who actualy play the game rather then spend most of there time trolling the forums couldint care less about the game shops when it comes to pointless items like this or even xp pots and wow and f2p mmos have prooven this already.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

The reason some of us are against "vainity" items is because it never ends there. But I grow weary of this debate as some people are able, in their own mind, to justify whatever carnival tricks game companies come up with. As long as people keep espousing the opinion that nothing others do in the game effects them this shell game called RMT will continue. The cheerleaders deserve what they get.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

initialy they will have pay to xfer, respec ....ect then when they realized how much money can they make by selling weapons and armors in cash shop it will change.  When the game starts to fail and ppl ditching the game they will change cash shop to get more profit.  This is what happened to STO and it will happen to other mmo b/c its tthe only way to keep the game going.

Originally posted by Raizeen

There is no need trying to explain to trolls since they never plan to play the game in the first place. People who are so picky about stuff like this do not count for even 1% of players when it comes to a game like Tera, swtor, gw2 and wow and others. This is not darkfall where 99% are angry pisssed haters with no lifes. Real players who actualy play the game rather then spend most of there time trolling the forums couldint care less about the game shops when it comes to pointless items like this or even xp pots and wow and f2p mmos have prooven this already.

You mean the ones that assume the position every time a game dev develops a new dildo?

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Originally posted by Philby

The reason some of us are against "vainity" items is because it never ends there. But I grow weary of this debate as some people are able, in their own mind, to justify whatever carnival tricks game companies come up with. As long as people keep espousing the opinion that nothing others do in the game effects them this shell game called RMT will continue. The cheerleaders deserve what they get.

Even were it true that vanity items do not affect other players, why should we agree to let them charge for these items?  Who the fuck made that rule?  These are paid games where you pay for the box, and then you pay monthly for ongoing development.  Cosmetic items have been provided in game thru quests, drops, and events, for FREE.  Now all of sudden we should pay for them because...?

Paid games never charged for these before the f2p craze because it was common sense to the developers themselves.  Some morons who don't have any sense of the value of money and the effort they expend to get it, paid $25 for a digital pony skin.  Now developers are thinking, why should we provide that fun for free, when we can charge for it on top of everything else?  Let's set aside ALL content that doesn't affect another player, and charge for it.  See what you can think of.

These morons should be thanking the people making all this noise.  If not for them, you can bank that "AAA" mmos would do more of the stuff Crytic is doing.

It's really amazing that you have to drag these morons kicking and screaming from being milked.

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

You mean the ones that assume the position every time a game dev develops a new dildo?

I take you as you one of those haters who login in to wow and reports everything on the trade chat in hopes of getting some people banned. So so so so sad. Why not just like maybe not play the game if you hate it so much? Personaly someone who cares that much about how they look on a game especialy a guy makes me wonder a little.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

initialy they will have pay to xfer, respec ....ect then when they realized how much money can they make by selling weapons and armors in cash shop it will change.  When the game starts to fail and ppl ditching the game they will change cash shop to get more profit.  This is what happened to STO and it will happen to other mmo b/c its tthe only way to keep the game going.

This is silly. There is no fact this this at all. Please name one AAA sub based game that has a cash shop. Not an item/vanity shop but items that effect the game play (xp potions, weapons, etc)

I take you as you one of those haters who login in to wow and reports everything on the trade chat in hopes of getting some people banned. So so so so sad. Why not just like maybe not play the game if you hate it so much? Personaly someone who cares that much about how they look on a game especialy a guy makes me wonder a little.

Personal attacks are always the answer arnt they.. At least you are wondering about something instead of just  assuming the position. At least in this instance.

• AsgeirAsgeir Member UncommonPosts: 17

Also Asia version will go on P2P too, has said recently Brothermagneto to spanish fansite terahispano.com.

Source: http://www.terahispano.com/joomla/foro/5-tera-noticias-a-anuncios/6156-tera-p2p-en-todas-sus-versiones (it is in spanish language).

• J0K3R_3DJ0K3R_3D Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Lathander81

This is silly. There is no fact this this at all. Please name one AAA sub based game that has a cash shop. Not an item/vanity shop but items that effect the game play (xp potions, weapons, etc)

Age of Conan. Im pretty sure ive heard about the  xp potions and I know ive seen a purple weapon on someone low level. When I researched how to get said weapon, I found you had to buy it. There is also mounts and stuff, like a rhino or a mammoth (maybe both).

And vanity items arent good either. Its content being developed and as paying customers we have a right to that content. Not to mention how these supposed "vanity items" usually look much better than a lot of the stuff in game and arent offered otherwise. Like say ... a very unique and well made flying ground and flying celestial mount that automatically 'upgrades' with your flying skill? Thats a shot in the nuts to paying customers. The only way I would agre with vanity items is if they are offered in game as well. Make it hard to do or very rare to get in game ... or pay for it. At least that way, sub players arent getting fully shafted.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Imo I think that press release is pretty good. The game is not near the top of my want to play list but I will keep an eye out for feedback. Personally I will never play a game with any kind of item sales, vanity or oherwise, but at least they have made their position clear and given me the information needed for me to make a decision without getting stung down the line.

I would be happy to try it out if I'm not playing anything else, it just means if they do decide to sell items I will have to quit, that's my choice. Either way nice response from them.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

About time this had a bump...

At least until the other thread is locked.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Wow we got some stuck up people playing MMO's nowadays. How dare they sell things on the side that don't effect gameplay.

Sounds like an item shop  will be included in the future?  Wont bother with this asian grinder I guess.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Sounds like an item shop  will be included in the future?  Wont bother with this asian grinder I guess.

Yet you still pay for the same shit they sell in WoW

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

This!!!

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by bansan 

Even were it true that vanity items do not affect other players, why should we agree to let them charge for these items?  Who the fuck made that rule?  These are paid games where you pay for the box, and then you pay monthly for ongoing development.  Cosmetic items have been provided in game thru quests, drops, and events, for FREE.  Now all of sudden we should pay for them because...?

Paid games never charged for these before the f2p craze because it was common sense to the developers themselves.  Some morons who don't have any sense of the value of money and the effort they expend to get it, paid $25 for a digital pony skin.  Now developers are thinking, why should we provide that fun for free, when we can charge for it on top of everything else?  Let's set aside ALL content that doesn't affect another player, and charge for it.  See what you can think of.

These morons should be thanking the people making all this noise.  If not for them, you can bank that "AAA" mmos would do more of the stuff Crytic is doing.

It's really amazing that you have to drag these morons kicking and screaming from being milked.

......and this!!!

regarding the op, I may try tera now

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

What shit are you talking about? I have never purchased any CS items in WOW or any other game.  If its just fluff and doesnt offer an advantage to the morons who do purchase, then I could care less. But the difference between WOW and an asian pay to win are millions of miles apart.

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

What shit are you talking about? I have never purchased any CS items in WOW or any other game.  If its just fluff and doesnt offer an advantage to the morons who do purchase, then I could care less. But the difference between WOW and an asian pay to win are millions of miles apart.

You, sir, are an idiot. It's not going to have an item shop, it's going to have a vanity shop IF any at all. Nowadays all sub based games include a vanity shop, so just deal with it. But why would you EVEN read the original post in this very thread before posting ignorant comments, right?

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Originally posted by bansan

This is a fantastic point.  There really shouldn't ever be a need to spend extra money like this.  Of course, I won't buy cosmetic items (except in one case, where that's actually the only thing you need to spend money to buy, and I want to support the game), so it's rather moot to me.  I never bought the sparkle pony, I don't plan to buy cosmetic items in LotRO, and I wouldn't buy them in TERA.  Even in F2P game, I am only willing to pay for actual content, though I have yet to find a F2P where I'm honestly willing to do that, either.  (I'm subbed to LotRO)

TERA's position as a subscription game puts it squarely on my radar.  It still need to be a quality game, but I will say hands down that an item shop setup truly does ruin games.  We need look no further than Allods Online.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

Originally posted by Rynne

You, sir, are an idiot. It's not going to have an item shop, it's going to have a vanity shop IF any at all. Nowadays all sub based games include a vanity shop, so just deal with it. But why would you EVEN read the original post in this very thread before posting ignorant comments, right?

Read it?  Yes I read it. I also have been around this hobby for awhile. Asian grinder with a cash shop is what this will be. It may start at fluff items but once the game doesnt take off in the west it will add more and more advantage items. One doesnt need a crystal ball to see where this is going.  Enjoy your Aion clone as long as it lasts.