Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community Update: August 13th, 2010 from AoC boards

Comments

• Kurt_HKurt_H Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by Kurt_H

Originally posted by Vormir

At the present I think Funcom really should get some new gameplay designers. Don't touch the artists though - the game world is beautiful.

Word has it that recently Funcom has done precisely the opposite to your request.

A link of that word would be nice, the article here is clearly talking about gameplay designers and scripters.

I live in Norway and word is that a large part of the team were let go a month or so ago. This included the entire art team. The digital arts and FX community is tiny here so word of what's happening at Funcom tends to filter out. I'd suggest directing your question at Famine.

--------------
    Waiting for Guild Wars II
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/videos/

• VepgenusVepgenus Member Posts: 398

At the present I think Funcom really should get some new gameplay designers. Don't touch the artists though - the game world is beautiful.

Word has it that recently Funcom has done precisely the opposite to your request.

A link of that word would be nice, the article here is clearly talking about gameplay designers and scripters.

I live in Norway and word is that a large part of the team were let go a month or so ago. This included the entire art team. The digital arts and FX community is tiny here so word of what's happening at Funcom tends to filter out. I'd suggest directing your question at Famine.

Hmmm interesting, I think if this is true it lends credibility that AoC is going F2P after their engine upgrade. I wouldn't doubt if Funcom has thrown in the towel when it comes to AoC and are preparing to put the game on life support.

• nihcenihce Member Posts: 539

F2P today is a viable bussiness model that brings in more money than subscribtions, especcialy for niche games (WoW is excluded from this). 

As was stated long time ago, Funcom planned to move their entire dev team to Montreal, which has happened in last month. Majority of Norway FC devs were faced with a choice - either to move to Canada or leave Funcom. Some certainly refused to move and those left. As was said in latest community letter Funcom already hired new guys in Canada, probably to fill the spots that were left open after move. 

I don't think this is any indicator that FC is going F2P. I am not saying they will not change the model, but it is quite unlikely that people that were "fired" are an indicator for it. F2P is still a game that needs developing and as DDO has shown the updates are not in any case less frequent when game is F2P. 

Originally posted by Vepgenus

Posted on the EU forums recently:

22nd July 2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post

We are currently investigating the performance issues you mention as a priority, and 1.05.04 has one potential resolution in it (I say potential as sieges are probably the most complex part of the game, difficult to test, and you will only ever know the strength and reliability of any potential fix until it reaches the live environment)

That was over a year ago.

I wonder what "priority" means in Norway.

Yup FC doing a great job on fixing those sieges!

Sieges were fixed for all servers except Fury, which problems are probably the result of malignant code hidden somewhere (probably created by exploits, cheats and other illegal use of code). To find a piece of code that is malignant is extremely hard and as I was told by my former guild mate, this process is so complex that it will probably never be resolved or will take loooong time to do so. 

And Craig somehow confirmed this by stating that there is not much they can do for Fury currently. I agree this is very bad but FC did implement certain fixes that are promised in this letter and they indeed worked on almost all servers. 

Originally posted by nihce

Majority of Norway FC devs were faced with a choice - either to move to Canada or leave Funcom. Some certainly refused to move and those left. As was said in latest community letter Funcom already hired new guys in Canada, probably to fill the spots that were left open after move. 

Partially correct. 

--------------

Majority of Norway FC devs were faced with a choice - either to move to Canada or leave Funcom. Some certainly refused to move and those left. As was said in latest community letter Funcom already hired new guys in Canada, probably to fill the spots that were left open after move. 

Partially correct. 

Hmmmmm I sense that Kurt may have some insider information possibly an employee of Funcom?

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Originally posted by FC-Famine

The developers have already said that new PvP content was on the way. No one has stopped focusing on PvP content at all. Thus, more details to follow.

Stopped, huh? I fail to see how implementing Bori (PvP only to secure right to farm rocks) and blaming the community for having to release it means a lot. Your boss said "The neSt content additions, including new PVP features will come in the next major version, 2.1, we will taKE a lot more about that at the end of the month", so this is months away by the looks of it. I'd be surprised, if you even read all the suggestions made in the PvP forum threads created by Sirillion. Pretty much all the suggestions in those threads have been made much earlier than now, that you request for them. Perhaps you should spend more time discussing suggestions than doing whatever you wish, before even talking about it with the community and maybe taking some suggestions? Let the people know when you actually BEGIN to work on PvP.

You've done absolutely SQUAT for PvP pretty much since 2008, partly because your company is just rubbish creating any content that involves actually PvPing, but mostly because your boss is the biggest PvE-man I've seen so far in this genre.

I hardly insider information here. It's fairly common knowledge in the visual fx industry here not least because former Funcom employees have friends and have been door-knocking studios for jobs. And common knowledge is that that a sizable group were let go recently and that included the entire art team. Word is few of those were given options on Montreal. 

I'm merely connected to people (present and past ) at Funcom.

--------------

• Mr_pantiesMr_panties Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Vepgenus

Posted on the EU forums recently:

22nd July 2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post

We are currently investigating the performance issues you mention as a priority, and 1.05.04 has one potential resolution in it (I say potential as sieges are probably the most complex part of the game, difficult to test, and you will only ever know the strength and reliability of any potential fix until it reaches the live environment)

That was over a year ago.

I wonder what "priority" means in Norway.

Yup FC doing a great job on fixing those sieges!

Sieges were fixed for all servers except Fury, which problems are probably the result of malignant code hidden somewhere (probably created by exploits, cheats and other illegal use of code). To find a piece of code that is malignant is extremely hard and as I was told by my former guild mate, this process is so complex that it will probably never be resolved or will take loooong time to do so. 

And Craig somehow confirmed this by stating that there is not much they can do for Fury currently. I agree this is very bad but FC did implement certain fixes that are promised in this letter and they indeed worked on almost all servers. 

You again talking out of nowhere, with incorrect information? Do you play on all other servers?

Let me spell it out for you since you're clueless. Sieges on other servers don't happen. If they happen, its 1 siege in 2-3 weeks or worse. Even then, not all sieges can finish - which means they crash. Population all over the game is so small nowadays that it just can't support 48 vs 48 sieges anymore.

So, no. Its not true that sieges aren't working exclusively on Fury. Its something you made up, and something you took out of context from one GM letter that was written many many months ago.

Interesting claim that you made out of your ass (just as guardians combo skipping, lol):

a.) Sieges were reported to work by FC officials and by players at the time when fix was implemented (Fury went berserk because of that ... they were the only ones having problems)

b.) If sieges are not in depth discussed on forums it doesn't mean they don't happen - for eg. Cimmeria had 3 sieges last week that are documented. And by the forum activity one would say it is the biggest server

c.) Crom is bigger than Fury (if you don't believe me check yq numbers)

d.) The real problem is not sieges crashing but SIEGES being boring (this is the complain about sieges on US board - while on EU dominating complains are about sieges crashign). Like I said prior to siege fixes ... fixing sieges will not bring any desire to fight for them, they are just soooo bad in its concept that they need a revamp - add mercenaries, add siege mounts, add ANY KIND of depth!!!

Interesting claim that you made out of your ass (just as guardians combo skipping, lol):

I couldn't read anymore past this statement image

Combo skipping is a well documented exploit.
  • Catriona85Catriona85 Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by FC-Famine

The developers have already said that new PvP content was on the way. No one has stopped focusing on PvP content at all. Thus, more details to follow.

The developers also said that Bori was working as intended, they also said sieges were being fixed and we have been hearing of this pvp content "on the way" for 2 years.  Correction for you also, Nobody has STARTED focusing on pvp content. Sorry, but Bori is NOT pvp content. Neither is being FORCED to grind pve to fill out that AA tree.

I honestly don't know how some of you people can face yourself in the mirror in the morning.

Now one of the biggest PvP guilds on your biggest PvP server has quit. Sick of Bori, sick of lies and broken promises. So Famine, how long before you are forced to go f2p ? - Right now you are on a sinking ship trying to convince the orchestra to keep playing. While the Funcom circus poodles run around kissing pve arse and telling everyone it's "all going to be ok."

PvP'ers started quitting almost immediately  Bori was introduced. This situation was then amplified by Funcom blaming the players for their (Funcom's) horrendous concept. Then we started seeing pvp10 players with ~100 kills. This was the final straw for many of us.

We have a pve freak in charge of what was supposed to be THE pvp game. And it COULD have been. You people honestly have not the slightest inkling about pvp. Not the SLIGHTEST. All that was needed was 1.04 with those few small fixes that we all know about. That would have retained almost all your pvpers, while Funcom focused on their "little favourites" - the pve crowd.

AoC will go down in mmo history. Of that there is no doubt. But not the way that we all had hoped. For this I am genuinely sorry because I so wanted AoC to be a killer game. It's a pity all it had in the final analysis were; pretty graphics,combos and fatalities.  The rest was ruined by inordinate pve focus, poor design choices, amateur engineering and a general lack of professionalism.

Tranca [RUS corp]

a.) Sieges were reported to work by FC officials and by players at the time when fix was implemented (Fury went berserk because of that ... they were the only ones having problems)

b.) If sieges are not in depth discussed on forums it doesn't mean they don't happen - for eg. Cimmeria had 3 sieges last week that are documented. And by the forum activity one would say it is the biggest server

c.) Crom is bigger than Fury (if you don't believe me check yq numbers)

d.) The real problem is not sieges crashing but SIEGES being boring (this is the complain about sieges on US board - while on EU dominating complains are about sieges crashign). Like I said prior to siege fixes ... fixing sieges will not bring any desire to fight for them, they are just soooo bad in its concept that they need a revamp - add mercenaries, add siege mounts, add ANY KIND of depth!!!

And yet again you manage to come here with false information. Did you even play actively pre and just before last server merges? No? So you got everything from Aoc forums, and even there you used your specially adjusted filter? Did you even visit other servers?

Let me tell you again. There is no server that can manage 1-2 siege per day through a week and not have atleast 1 siege that crashes. 1 siege crashing = sieges not working since something, under certain conditions, is still messing up the system. Please don't post nonsense, rather go to those guilds in which names you talk (like for whole crom server and cimmeria lol) and ask them if they saw a crashing siege recently.

Stop spreading false myths about only Fury sieges crashing. Its something funcom's employees do to downplay the seriousness of the problem.

edit - just a quick link for you HERE

Check the date. Its all over the place, but its being played down for reasons I said in previous post. Sieges are not on same level on other servers like on Fury (ok, not anymore since half server quit in last 1-2 months) due to number of active pvp'ers, class selections and frequency of sieges. If they were done more frequently with those parameters included, they would crash as much as they do on Fury.

I did play with best players among my side, I was among the best and am much more reliable than a guardian tha is  combo skipping (lol). You see, this crash is the only one on us or eu servers reported last month. And as said cimmeria had 3 sieges last week reported. Opposite on fury Nas vs Futi siege crashes 80% of the time

I did play with best players among my side, I was among the best and am much more reliable than a guardian tha is  combo skipping (lol). You see, this crash is the only one on us or eu servers reported last month. And as said cimmeria had 3 sieges last week reported. Opposite on fury Nas vs Futi siege crashes 80% of the time

Yes those evil Nastrandir and Futilez hackers that cause siege crashes. It's a disgrace. Those commie pinko bastards Ruscorp too. Their crash rate was unbelievable also, probably because of all the hacking we used to do. Let's not forget Ragnarok, the cheating hacking Norwegian thugs. Their illegal antics caused sieges to crash also. In fact Ruscorp,Nastrandir,Futilez and Ragnarok were so good at hacking we could even crash sieges on American servers as well as the other EU servers we didn't even play on.

It had "NOTHING " to do with the fact that Funcom fucked up their own game and don't know how to fix it.  Their utter disgrace of a game director Craig Morrison would rather blame the players.

Tranca [RUS corp]

Callo you writing another fiction novel I see? You played and did sieges on a more regular basis over 1 and a half year ago on Fury. Hello! It was even before patch 1.5 and when sieges didn't crash. You also don't have a clue about guardians and how they play - ask best on Fury if they combo skip or not and who's funny in this discussion here.

Btw, you need to up your skill of forum searching, its atrocious. Maybe better option is to roll on those other server and see it from first hand (like I did on quite a few), instead of making things up and then getting put into place?

Oh and yeah, since you pulled the individual skill card - you were bad after 2nd merges on your bear shaman. Really bad.

edit. to help you a bit more with search funcion on forums - more here

Notice the word crash and dates. Now do the same on other part of forums. See the pattern? Do you think all sieges, especially crashes are being reported on forums?

I find it difficult to believe that someone is espousing the idea that players have somehow corrupted Funcoms code/databases or whatever and are to blame for crashing sieges. Does this player generated hackfest also include such things as broken res points. Which were fixed, but then popped back again with yet another iteration of their shitty code ?

Tranca [RUS corp]

Lets not go into skill thing + I doubt you saw me play in PVP after BS revamp :D (who are you btw?) ... I am not saying they don't use it, but it is not a skill that would give you a big advantage as it is with BS, barb and conq

Yes, that german server was the same as fury and we all know that. If you would search the forums as you claim you know how, you would find out that same problem often happens on this german server. But I was talking about big international servers, that one I honestly forgot about - Crom, Tyranny, Cimmeria, Set, Wiccana ... 

@tranca: this does happen (hacks corrupting game files) and has happened in many MMO's. search with google. As for rezz points. no, this is funcom shit doing. As are shitty sieges altogether.

Lets not go into skill thing + I doubt you saw me play in PVP after BS revamp :D (who are you btw?) ... I am not saying they don't use it, but it is not a skill that would give you a big advantage as it is with BS, barb and conq

Yes, that german server was the same as fury and we all know that. If you would search the forums as you claim you know how, you would find out that same problem often happens on this german server. But I was talking about big international servers, that one I honestly forgot about - Crom, Tyranny, Cimmeria, Set, Wiccana ... 

Dude there's no such thing as a "big server" on AoC anymore.

@tranca: this does happen (hacks corrupting game files) and has happened in many MMO's. search with google. As for rezz points. no, this is funcom shit doing. As are shitty sieges altogether.

Now its international servers? Weren't it "all servers but Fury" like you claimed before? Or is the story changing now? I think your arguments are flawed and no where near refined as those from our dear game director who immediately backs off the topic when being presented by facts and data.

Ok, lets continue.

2 Russian/Polish servers - Rohat and Two Eagles. Sieges crashed since 1.5, nothing improved later. Servers are dead now, no sieges cause of extreme lack of population

Spanish Community - no servers anymore, everyone is off to aquilonia and Crom

2 French servers - Ishtar (PVe) - no sieges. Stygia (PVP-RP) - here is link, look at word crash (it's in red)

2 German servers. Mitra (PVE) I presented before, Asgaard (PVP-RP) - no info on forums, but I know from experience that crash ratio is similar to other servers

English EU servers - Hyrkania (RP-PVE) - no sieges. Crom (PVE) - siege ocasionally crashes as presnted before. Aquilonia (PVP-RP) - very rare sieges nowadays, crashes not specified. Fury (PVP) - known situation

US servers: Set (PVE) - no regular sieges, from this thread here it can be seen sieges crash post 8#

Wiccanna (PVE) - no regular sieges

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

Crom, but if want best community that's Hyrkania.

Now its international servers? Weren't it "all servers but Fury" like you claimed before? Or is the story changing now? I think your arguments are flawed and no where near refined as those from our dear game director who immediately backs off the topic when being presented by facts and data.

Ok, lets continue.

2 Russian/Polish servers - Rohat and Two Eagles. Sieges crashed since patch 1.5, nothing improved later. Servers are dead now, no sieges cause of extreme lack of population

Spanish Community - no servers anymore, everyone is off to aquilonia and Crom

2 French servers - Ishtar (PVe) - no sieges. Stygia (PVP-RP) - here is link, look at word crash (it's in red)

also try to look at the number of players which is nicely documentated, keep this in mind for later.

2 German servers. Mitra (PVE) I presented before, Asgaard (PVP-RP) - no info on forums, but I know from experience that crash ratio is similar to other servers

English EU servers - Hyrkania (RP-PVE) - no sieges. Crom (PVE) - siege ocasionally crashes as presnted before. Aquilonia (PVP-RP) - very rare sieges nowadays, crashes not specified. Fury (PVP) - known situation

US servers: Set (PVE) - no regular sieges, from this thread here it can be seen sieges crash post 8#

Wiccanna (PVE) - no regular sieges

Tyranny (PVP) - dead servers, no sieges. Before it was max 1 raid vs 1 raid

Cimmeria (PVP-RP) - little bit less population than Fury. Much rarer sieges than on Fury, don't know exact numbers nor status of crashes (average sieges per week would help here and if alteast one crashed recently)

Ok, now lemme just add that on all of those servers, 48 vs 48 sieges aren't really happening anymore due to lack of population. Fury had them until few days ago, we'll see what will happen now that Nastrandir as guild left. Related to that, no siege was in full force from both sides.

When you look it in this light - you can see where the problem is. Sieges aren't happening at all. If they are, they are very very rare (as in one in few weeks), and no where near full force. So yeah, sieges don't crash... simply because they are not happening anymore.

But when you have frequent sieges, no matter the server - you'll eventually get a crash. That means that sieges aren't working, and the content is broken. It has been like that now for 1 year and 3 months, ever since funcom released patch 1.5.