Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried out the game for a bit my impression

Well I tried out Final Fantasy XI a bit.  Now to be fair to the game, no I did not progress very far at all.  I only made it to level 8, so any opinions I put down are solely those of a new player with little to no game knowledge.  I played a monk character because it sounded interesting.  I liked the graphics ,however that being said, having to go into my registry to edit a file just to get the smoothest widescreen options is a bit tricky for some folks, so I think that is something they should address.  Overall for a game of its age I still think its looks really good and the animations flow very smoothly in comparison to even newer titles.  The gameplay itself is a bit daunting and well, completely confusing.  This is not necessarily totally a bad thing because more titles should branch out and not follow the formulaic grind of others.  The level progression I could not really comment on because low levels are always fairly easy to accomplish.

The community was fairly quiet almost seeming dead even though I saw many people moving around, no one really interacted,  When I did get interaction everyone was extremely helpful, and gave me quite a few websites to look at for answers, which while helpful only added to my confusion.  I think in my case perhaps its just that the most daunting aspect of this game is the fact it has SO MUCH content that has already occured. Its sort of like joining everquest and wanting to start over in innothule swamp hunting froglok tads...sure you can do it but no one is really there to do it with you.  Most of the playerbase has forgotten more about the game then most new players will ever learn at this point. 

My overall impression is, I am sure it is a great game, its just not really new player friendly, and much like using unix vs windows is completely unapologetic for its vast array of content.  I can see they have made subtle changes to try to make things a little easier on new players but it seems more like an afterthought then a solid attempt.  Graphically I saw quite a few pretty things and I completely applaud the original content and ideas I saw.  I think the job systems is very interesting, I just didnt like the prospect of trying to group with the 1 or 2 players around my level once I his 11 or 12 that were off in the dunes etc.  What can I say, I have been spoiled by games like WoW which encourage soloing.  Something I never thought would happen since I cut my teeth on ultima online and everquest.  I think alot of us older gamers these days either have our clique that we run with in games if we want to group or we just prefer to log in and get a few simple things accomplished in a shorter amount of time.

I think if a group started this game together they could probably have alot of fun, but it is not a solers game.  And that is fine, I dont think games should conform to industry standards.  I just dont think it is for me, it just left me wishing I had tried it at release instead of waiting till now to do it.

Comments

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

You just give out a typical MMORPG review.

You must understand that. Games like this is already quite old. No one restart or start on games like this, however FFXI is special in the fact that you have access to every job on one character and everyone start @ level 1.

If you start a new character in WOW, do you think you will even see people in the beginner town? Even barren chat die down. You have to be lucky to even see people that doesn't come PK you for the hell of it.

Also FFXI have nothing to do in reality at low level. It is all about grinding until 50 where you start your rank missions and goes from there. 

The game changes when you reach a major city like Jeuno. @ level 20 for the KFC and when you reach whitegate for the daily 700 man besieged, you wish you don't want to see these people any longer.

none

• YawnnyYawnny Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by wrongfeifong

The game changes when you reach a major city like Jeuno. @ level 20 for the KFC and when you reach whitegate for the daily 700 man besieged, you wish you don't want to see these people any longer.

Right, because a player who just said he is new to the game is going to understand what you just said. Secondly, check your grammar out boyo.