Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Biggest First week sales of all time

123457»

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by arenasb

Rock, I think that was an unfair jab at ANet but whatever. I do wish they would have had one more expansion for GW, however with their small staff (at the time) I can see why they made their decision.

GW1 was a great game, to abandon it right after an amazing expansion like that and blatantly say "sorry folks GW wont get anymore campaigns/xpacs" was heart breaking.

Imagine buying multiple campaigns, expansions, Dlc, shop items and more only to have them decide its time to move on.

it would have been much better to atleast leave a small Expansion team on GW1.

Oh well... lets hope they don't get greedy with Gw2.

[Mod Edit]

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647
    Someone clearly hasn't read up on gw2 properly.

Already been said that end game pve will be focused around 5 player dungeons. This is just another example of some fans having strong opinions but not being properly educated on the game information.
  • FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Rock, I think that was an unfair jab at ANet but whatever. I do wish they would have had one more expansion for GW, however with their small staff (at the time) I can see why they made their decision.

GW1 was a great game, to abandon it right after an amazing expansion like that and blatantly say "sorry folks GW wont get anymore campaigns/xpacs" was heart breaking.

Im sure the gw2 fanboiz here will defend A-net to no end but for me that has me a bit worried about investing any cash besides what i spend on the initial client.

Imagine buying multiple campaigns, expansions, Dlc, shop items and more only to have them decide its time to move on.

Thus far, GW:B has provided some good content with the WiK campaign. The next part should start happening sometime soon.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by kaiser328

Apparently a lot...

Yes there will be SOME instancing, for things such as dungeons and the Personal Story missions.

Nothing else needs to be said. ill see you guys when the game releases.

A bunch of words...

It's going to be fun watching you turn from a big guild wars mark to a pure forum flamer/hater once this game releases.

Do yourself a favor, tone down the fanboismz and hype.

I'll be buying this game but you my friend are going down the path of the darkside.

I've seen it time and time again. this game will not live up to that wonderful game client only within Kaisers mind.

You've been warned.

As i tried explaining to Robert... hype/fanboism has nothing to do with anything. Where exactly in my post did i say "OMG ITS THE BEST THING EVER" ? I was simply educating you on how mistaken you were by saying things like its a hubbed instanced game like GW1. Where is the "hype" in that?

Pointing out facts / features in response to a completely uneducated comment like it being all hubs & instances =/= hype

regarding your post after this one...

You cant be serious. Is that your whole beef with Arenanet? They stopped making expansions and made GW2 instead?

As has been discussed, GW1 is not even a full MMO. They wanted to expand and improve on the world of Guild Wars, and it simply couldnt be done on their old engine and old setup. They were planning more expansions, but instead decided it would be better to develop a whole new game from the ground up and design it from the start as a full MMO. What is wrong with that?

I just dont get it. What difference is it really to you? Expansion would probably run $50-60 and be nothing more than more hubbed/instanced gameplay, which apparently you dont like. So now theyre doing the opposite, making an entirely new game with new classes, new time setting, new features, etc in an open persistent world and charging the same price as it would have been for the expansion... and youre complaining? /facepalm

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

Im sure the gw2 fanboiz here will defend A-net to no end but for me that has me a bit worried about investing any cash besides what i spend on the initial client.

Thus far, GW:B has provided some good content with the WiK campaign. The next part should start happening sometime soon.

Dude I would have given my left nut for a couple more expansions to GW. I know they gave a couple events and a Dlc here and there but to cut it short like that...

with that said im still looking forward to GW2 i just dont expect it to be the best thing ever, ive been let down way too much the last few years in this genre to expect great things from anyone.

Originally posted by kaiser328

Apparently a lot...

Yes there will be SOME instancing, for things such as dungeons and the Personal Story missions.

Nothing else needs to be said. ill see you guys when the game releases.

A bunch of words...

It's going to be fun watching you turn from a big guild wars mark to a pure forum flamer/hater once this game releases.

Do yourself a favor, tone down the fanboismz and hype.

I'll be buying this game but you my friend are going down the path of the darkside.

I've seen it time and time again. this game will not live up to that wonderful game client only within Kaisers mind.

You've been warned.

As i tried explaining to Robert... hype/fanboism has nothing to do with anything. Where exactly in my post did i say "OMG ITS THE BEST THING EVER" ? I was simply educating you on how mistaken you were by saying things like its a hubbed instanced game like GW1. Where is the "hype" in that?

Pointing out facts / features in response to a completely uneducated comment like it being all hubs & instances =/= hype

regarding your post after this one...

You cant be serious. Is that your whole beef with Arenanet? They stopped making expansions and made GW2 instead?

As has been discussed, GW1 is not even a full MMO. They wanted to expand and improve on the world of Guild Wars, and it simply couldnt be done on their old engine and old setup. They were planning more expansions, but instead decided it would be better to develop a whole new game from the ground up and design it from the start as a full MMO. What is wrong with that?

I just dont get it. What difference is it really to you? Expansion would probably run $50-60 and be nothing more than more hubbed/instanced gameplay, which apparently you dont like. So now theyre doing the opposite, making an entirely new game with new classes, new time setting, new features, etc in an open persistent world and charging the same price as it would have been for the expansion... and youre complaining? /facepalm

I never said i didn't like Hub Co-rpg gameplay. I think your mistaken. I simply think people are expecting too much. i was/am a big fan of GW1 and am going to buy Gw2 on release lol.

Again its the over hyping of the game that bothers me. all i read are posts from gamers sounding like GW2 is going to be the holy grail of gaming.

We read the same thing When WAR and Aion released. I think we should all just wait and see before we get all crazy lol.

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

Dude I would have given my left nut for a couple more expansions to GW. I know they gave a couple events and a Dlc here and there but to cut it short like that...

with that said im still looking forward to GW2 i just dont expect it to be the best thing ever, ive been let down way too much the last few years in this genre to expect great things from anyone.

Actually, I would say that WiK was about the size of the asuran portion of EOTN. Sizeable thing and the enemies! By the 6 gods they were good! Varied builds, good AI, hard res among them.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

FS made those missions relatively easy.

• rebelhero1rebelhero1 Member Posts: 229

I never got the concept of the "wow-killer".

I swear, it's turned into something like an Urban Legend.

Here's the deal;

1.) WoW will not die until Blizzard is ready. People are WAY too devoted to it.

2.) People out there, somewhere, enjoy WoW. Who are you to wish for something THEY enjoy to go away.

3.) Finally, WoW has little relevance to how much you enjoy another game. Oh, say, GW2.

Developers are learning that copying the "WoW-formula" is NOT lucrative. They are trying new things. Look at GW2 and TOR for example.

You people need to relax on the whole "WOW KILLED MY KID AND RAPED MY WIFE" thing.

I mean, I don't exactly *love* it but it's not like it's presence is going to really affect anything at this point.

Playing: *sigh* back to WoW :(
    --------
    Waiting for: SW:TOR, APB, WoD
    ---------
    Played and loved: Eve and WoW
    --------
    Played and hated: WoW:WotLK, Warhammer, every single F2P

• HunterhyenaHunterhyena Member Posts: 91

GW2 might beat WOW in sales but it won't kill WoW off. It will kill P2P model off if it is succesfull with its B2P. Which will kill WoW. WHY do people still care about killing WoW. If some developers made a game simply to beat WoW. It Would have to put info into most people on the planets brains. WoW is known world wide. People that don't know what a RPG let alone a MMORPG know about WoW. It is too late to be able to kill WOW with subs and sales! ArenaNet are trying tot make people believe in the fact that a P2P model is a huge scam. B2P FTW! Now here is one of my classic Examples

Jimmy Billybob: Hey Donny Jimmy Dan. I play WOW I spend £15 a month which equals £180 a year. WoW is so fun. 

Donny Jimmy Dan: really! I think I will give it a gander and play it and tell my friends!

2 years later.......

Blizzard jerks: Muahahaha we rule the world. everyone knows about us. If some new MMO comes. They will never be-able to touch us.

Jimmy Billy Bob: hmm I'm loosing a lot of money on this. Is this really how much it cost to keep a MMO running.

Donny Jimmy Dan: if every MO is doing it. it must be Jimmy Billy Bob.

Every other MMO: If I want to be the new WoW I must make a P2P it is the ONLY way.

Mike O'Brien(AKA CHuck Norris): Hmm I just did some calculations. People are being scammed by P2P model.

Jeff Strain: Really! Lets show these people that a succesfull MMo doesn't need P2P model.

Patrick Wyatt: YH! YH! ALRIGHT! LET'S DO IT! YH!

A fiew years later

GW1: YAY IT SOLD 6Mil!

Trolls: it's NOT A REALL MMO! DOESN'T COUNT. P2P MODEL RULES!

Anet: let's make a new game to show them that B2P works and they are being scammed

GW2: Pure Epicness :)

Future....

Blizzard: Noooooooooooooo I'm melting I'm melting. Because of succesfull B2P!

Jimmy Billy Bob: I was scammed £360 IN 2 YEARS JUST BECAUSE OF BLIZZARD'S GREED!

Donny Jimmy Dan: ME 2! DAMN IT I WILL TRUST IN B2P NOW

Jimmy & Donny: B2P FTW!

And for those who are staying away from GW2 because of Ncsoft. NCSOFT ISN'T MAKING OR HAVING ANYTHING TO DO WITH GW2 IT IS ALL ANET! ANET !ANET! ANET!

simply by making a phrase like WoW killer. U are making it seam even more impressive. What is the deal with wanting to kill WoW. Killing P2P model is what we need 2 do.

[Mod Edit]

hehehe,hahahahaHAHAHAHA

laughing Hyena, get used to it -_-

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150

ye.. no it wont kill anything but maybe the hype!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

No, I don't think so; big yes, biggest? No, not likely.

Guild Wars is hardly as well known as some other releases that are coming up.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

My GOD the hype for this game has skyrocketed. It's now the most hyped upcoming pc game on gamespot.com and is second only to the new cod game on all upcoming games. On IGN it's ranked 7 with not another mmo in sight. These are general gaming sites no less. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I WAS excited about this game.That has cooled.Reasons...faction conflict  with open field warfare is not in the game.So....no hooks that compel me to continue to follow the game.Hey...maybe i'm mis-informed.I sure hope so.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I WAS excited about this game.That has cooled.Reasons...faction conflict  with open field warfare is not in the game.So....no hooks that compel me to continue to follow the game.Hey...maybe i'm mis-informed.I sure hope so.

World PvP: WvWvW

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

World vs World, WvW, World PvP or Casual PvP, is a mode of Player versus Player combat which takes place in the Mists. Worlds, or servers, are randomly matched up against two other worlds. Those match-ups will be rotated every week to match worlds against those of similar strength. The combat is open and features many objectives and roles which players can do; "players may decide to fight alone against a supply caravan, join a single group and capture a mine or create a large alliance to assault one of the numerous fortress that could give an advantage in the zone." The battle is on a large scale, where hundreds of people can fight on each side in week-long battles.

Each opposing world starts out with castles, mercenary camps, mines, lumber mills and villages. Separating the starting zones are neutral zones controlled by no one, also containing fortresses, mines, and villages.

The resources gained from mines and lumber mills are used to rebuild walls, create siege engines, and generally defend the team's fortress.

These territories and control points will confer benefits to the world that controls them; "maybe everyone gets increased energy regeneration or healing rate or enhanced loot drop rate." Players can gain experience and level their character in World PvP. Guilds will be able to take and hold keeps.[1]

Players are free to come and go from the battle as they please and there is no limit to the number of players entering. Players enter with a character of any level and use skills they have available to that character. Characters can enter as a sidekick which will allow them to play as a higher level character.

World PvP is intended as a casual form of PvP, designed to be a more relaxed bridging point between PvE and the tactics and pressure of structured PvP. It is hoped that players of any level or PvP experience can participate and be useful.

• HunterhyenaHunterhyena Member Posts: 91

Robert can you give us a link to where you heard about the 5 player dungeon at the end-game. I have been looking at all interviews and info on GW2 I have not seen anything about end game.. Are you physchic then?

hehehe,hahahahaHAHAHAHA

laughing Hyena, get used to it -_-

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Hunterhyena

Robert can you give us a link to where you heard about the 5 player dungeon at the end-game. I have been looking at all interviews and info on GW2 I have not seen anything about end game.. Are you physchic then?

The developers have said that dungeons will be limited to 5 players. However, that's all the information they have given us. Robert is taking that information out of context and assuming that it is all we have for end game activities.

• VaettirVaettir Member Posts: 68

Regardless of how successful GW2 is, the sheer hype surrounding it is a huge encouragement for other developers to innovate outside of the 'accepted' MMO norms. 

If all goes well, I think we can hope to see much more variety in the future of the genre. This is a good thing.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This makes no sense. The servers are still running, even if you buy the game with all campains now, it would still be great value for money. How can you call them greedy for that lol?

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Elreic

What think you? I realuze WoW did well week 1, but that was in era when people were not generally fed up with MMO's and the 'pool' of MMO players, dissatisifed and otherwise, is now MUCH larger than it was then.

Due to all the horrendous launches of late, I dont see week one sales breaking records..  Many many people learned the hard way to wait until they hear how it goes.

I think all the miscontents, people sick of WoW etc etc.. are going to try GW2.

Many folks are just sick of the medieval/fantasy setting in general, well at least I am.

If the GW2 reality is at least 80% of the hype (and they are doing a great job hyping, book release, new driblets of info every week or so), then this game is going to be amazing. With 150 developers, it is a serious development team.

I really do hope it goes well.. however, many games in the past that have hyped up so much, produced so little.

Those who do not remember the past, are doomed to repeat it.. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.. i.e. believing the hype, pre-ordering, buying at launch.  Lots of insane folks out there.

GW2 biggest seller week one, of all time.

We shall see

And if it is great, WoW will finally lose the throne.

WoW wouldn't get nearly as much attention if all the people who actually dont play the game.. would stop walking about it... that's probably half their marketing.. Granted you have to be living under a rock to have never heard of it, heh.

"WoW sucks!" 

'what's WoW?'

"World of Warcraft"

'hmm...maybe I'll look at it'

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

This thread has gone way off topic and turned into nothing but an exchange of personal attacks. Please remember to follow our Rules of Conduct, found in my signature below, when posting.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.