Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Biggest First week sales of all time

Comments

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

Originally posted by RobertDinh

Looks as though kaiser is picking and choosing things that only support his point of view again. All of a sudden TBC and WOTLK sales don't count because they are expansions? Well let me say this, wow didn't hit 11 million until TBC, and TBC just like wotlk rejuvenates the wow population by adding fresh blood. Each expansion helps wow to grow more and more, not wow vanilla helping each expansion to grow. Also let me clarify, gw1 was not an mmo period, and don't say "we all know that" don't speak for other people, cause often times they don't know that. It is a very dangerous mentality when you speak from the perspective that your opinion is right no matter what and that you just assume everyone thinks the way you do (for example saying "WE ALL KNOW") I mean did you survey everyone and ask them if they all knew? Because many people still confuse GW1 and say it was an mmorpg. Anyway you accuse people of trolling so I guess they should be allowed to mention you may be a fanboi? Anet says they want you to have a permanent effect on the environment. You go on to say "things will be permanent that doesn't mean they will be there for all eternity". So let me ask you, what is your definition of permanent? And how do you know for sure that the dynamic event system will meet that definition? If your "permanent" impact reverses itself in 15minutes is it permanent? 1hour? 1day? 1 week? While permanent and temporary can often be subjective relative to the topic they are being applied to, a game where the events are specifically said to be cyclical in nature, should not be labeled as letting players have a "permanent" impact, so much as a temporary impact. Also don't tell others to get informed when you are clearly biased and ill-informed on many aspects yourself.

^ this forum needs to be optimized for smart phones. Site owners I hope your paying attention to this crap? the guy comes off like he's retarded.

This guy used to post on GW2G, and he posted like that there to. Until he got banned, that is.

And before you said GW2 won't be considered an MMO when its released, why do you say that?

Like it or not GW2 will still play like a Hub based Rpg. I don't care what mechanics are in place we will always place it with games like PSO and once you do that people dispute its validity on being a true mmorog.

Even though i disagree with that.

Then say so in the first place. I'm sure reasonable people will call it an MMO, simply because it will be. Hell, people incorectly called GW an MMO, I'm srue the genuine one will bear the name. And most games have hubs of one sort or another, almost always in the form of main cities.

• BonzarBonzar Member Posts: 176

Like it or not GW2 will still play like a Hub based Rpg. I don't care what mechanics are in place we will always place it with games like PSO and once you do that people dispute its validity on being a true mmorog.

This is the most unqualified answer ever. He asked why you said what you said, not to just repeat yourself. Why is it going to be considered hub based? I assume you don't have any real answer, that this is just an emotionally based notion you have.

Since hub based games adhere to certain conventions, why don't you point out how GW 2 will follow these conventions?

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Looks as though kaiser is picking and choosing things that only support his point of view again. All of a sudden TBC and WOTLK sales don't count because they are expansions? Well let me say this, wow didn't hit 11 million until TBC, and TBC just like wotlk rejuvenates the wow population by adding fresh blood. Each expansion helps wow to grow more and more, not wow vanilla helping each expansion to grow. Also let me clarify, gw1 was not an mmo period, and don't say "we all know that" don't speak for other people, cause often times they don't know that. It is a very dangerous mentality when you speak from the perspective that your opinion is right no matter what and that you just assume everyone thinks the way you do (for example saying "WE ALL KNOW") I mean did you survey everyone and ask them if they all knew? Because many people still confuse GW1 and say it was an mmorpg. Anyway you accuse people of trolling so I guess they should be allowed to mention you may be a fanboi? Anet says they want you to have a permanent effect on the environment. You go on to say "things will be permanent that doesn't mean they will be there for all eternity". So let me ask you, what is your definition of permanent? And how do you know for sure that the dynamic event system will meet that definition? If your "permanent" impact reverses itself in 15minutes is it permanent? 1hour? 1day? 1 week? While permanent and temporary can often be subjective relative to the topic they are being applied to, a game where the events are specifically said to be cyclical in nature, should not be labeled as letting players have a "permanent" impact, so much as a temporary impact. Also don't tell others to get informed when you are clearly biased and ill-informed on many aspects yourself.

^ this forum needs to be optimized for smart phones. Site owners I hope your paying attention to this crap? the guy comes off like he's retarded.

This guy used to post on GW2G, and he posted like that there to. Until he got banned, that is.

And before you said GW2 won't be considered an MMO when its released, why do you say that?

Play like a hub based rpg? Seriously? please... someone else explain it. im tired of having to repeat myself constantly. I think I may just make a sig  trying to explain some of this stuff so i can just point to it from now on.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Play like a hub based rpg? Seriously? please... someone else explain it. im tired of having to repeat myself constantly. I think I may just make a sig  trying to explain some of this stuff so i can just point to it from now on.

Will GW2 have main hubs where people interact? will these hubs lead to individual or team based instances? Its guild wars whats to explain?

You said people stayed away from GW1 because it wasnt a real mmo, well what do you think Gw2 will be?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Huh? What, exactly, is your definition of a true mmorpg? I'm astounded at the number of assumptions that people make in this forum. I mean yes it is the internet so that means everyone is a know it all but really mmorpg.com seems to draw the worst of the lot.

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

I'm calling it right now.

GW2 is going to be nothing but a game we all buy and don't play just like the first one.

You guys are expecting way too much out of this game.

You not playing it does not = we dont play it.

Just watch. No need to argue about it now.

We will all own a client box (or Digital DL) and near noone will play it just like the first game.

This big bad WoW killer with less than 100k users just like GW1.

Doesnt mean it wont be good, just not gods gift to mmorpg like you people expect.

Just wondering if you've been paying attention at all. Are you aware that GW1 was not a full blown MMORPG?

Come back to this thread once GW2 releases. It wont be considered a true mmorpg either.

I'm sorry dude, but your just coming off as an idiot. Peopla have already explained to you that trying to compare GW1 and GW2 is like trying to compare WoW to Warcraft. It's just a completely uneducated argument. I'll take you up on your bet, you come back to these forums after GW2 releases...and I'm sure it'll be much bigger of a hit than GW1 was. *shakes head at Rockgod99 in disgust*

Originally posted by Karesh

I'm calling it right now.

GW2 is going to be nothing but a game we all buy and don't play just like the first one.

You guys are expecting way too much out of this game.

You not playing it does not = we dont play it.

Just watch. No need to argue about it now.

We will all own a client box (or Digital DL) and near noone will play it just like the first game.

This big bad WoW killer with less than 100k users just like GW1.

Doesnt mean it wont be good, just not gods gift to mmorpg like you people expect.

Just wondering if you've been paying attention at all. Are you aware that GW1 was not a full blown MMORPG?

Come back to this thread once GW2 releases. It wont be considered a true mmorpg either.

I'm sorry dude, but your just coming off as an idiot. Peopla have already explained to you that trying to compare GW1 and GW2 is like trying to compare WoW to Warcraft. It's just a completely uneducated argument. I'll take you up on your bet, you come back to these forums after GW2 releases...and I'm sure it'll be much bigger of a hit than GW1 was. *shakes head at Rockgod99 in disgust*

hmmm I never said it wasn't going to be a bigger hit than Gw1 but i do think its going to be played in the same way.

Buy the box... mess with it and put it away forever. This whole B2p thing lends itself to that type of activity anyway.

Lets not get all upset at me because I don't think Gw2 will be the holy grail of mmos lol.

For me its all about player expectations and I believe they are way too high for the type of game Gw2 will be.

Will GW2 have main hubs where people interact? will these hubs lead to individual or team based instances? Its guild wars whats to explain?

You said people stayed away from GW1 because it wasnt a real mmo, well what do you think Gw2 will be?

...GW2 will be a MMO. It has been confirmed to be persistant with instanced dungeons, personal story, and story sensitive areas such as Logan Thackery's office and your personal instance. It looks like a MMO to me.

• slashbeastslashbeast Member Posts: 533

Take into consideration this game was/is developed by the brains behind vanilla WoW. Speaks for itself really...

...GW2 will be a MMO.

We will have to wait and see bro. My bet is going on Gw2 being a basic B2p hub experience that requires next to no financial backing from the playerbase which in turn will make A-net full stop development just like Gw1 to create another game (probably gw3).

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I'm shocked people still don't undrestand that GW2 is going to have a persistant world. Maybe MMORPG.com needs to make an article specificly about that.

Anyway I have to admit I was more excited for FFXIV but GW2 is blowing everything else out of the water. I've read on other forums that people are interested in GW2 who haven't played MMOs before. I think sales will at least be better than GW1... I get more excited with each thing I learn about this game.

Whether it's a success or failure(unlikely regardless) at least they are attempting to do something truely different.

Apparently a lot...

Yes there will be SOME instancing, for things such as dungeons and the Personal Story missions. The main world however will not be broken up into instances with towns as hubs for meeting and interacting with others. The main world will be open and persistant and playable with everyone, not party only instances like GW1... it has been explained many times, and is one of the mainr easons why it has been stated by the devs that unlike GW1, GW2 IS in fact a real MMORPG.

How do you think the Dynamic Event System will work with the whole impacting the world and others around you, scaling to match large numbers of people etc.... let me guess. Didn't bother to read the several articles covering the DES? Or the several others covering, well, anything about the game and you're simply making assumptions based onw hat GW1 was like so many people have been sadly doing.

Originally posted by natuxatu

I'm shocked people still don't undrestand that GW2 is going to have a persistant world. Maybe MMORPG.com needs to make an article specificly about that.

They really need to have a FAQ sticky post in this forum. The number of baseless assumptions and just plain ignorance about the game is amazing.

Originally posted by natuxatu

I'm shocked people still don't undrestand that GW2 is going to have a persistant world.

Oh boy your going to be really upset when this game releases.

I'm telling you guys, please don't do it... You did it with WAR, AoC, Aion and so on and so on.

High, unrealistic expectations...

I'm going to enjoy the fireworks once this game releases.

People wonder why this gaming community is so unhappy...

...GW2 will be a MMO.

We will have to wait and see bro. My bet is going on Gw2 being a basic B2p hub experience that requires next to no financial backing from the playerbase which in turn will make A-net full stop development just like Gw1 to create another game (probably gw3).

No, there is no wait and see in this one, if ArenaNet lied about this it would be the most blatant bold faced lie in the history of games. Its in their FAQ, ffs!

Will Guild Wars 2 be an MMO?

Yes. Guild Wars 2 provides a massive, online persistent world.

Apparently a lot...

Yes there will be SOME instancing, for things such as dungeons and the Personal Story missions.

Nothing else needs to be said. ill see you guys when the game releases.

Apparently a lot...

Yes there will be SOME instancing, for things such as dungeons and the Personal Story missions.

Theres plenty more to be said, because ias i said before, you obviously haven't read anything about the game. If you had, you woul dknow that the specific portion of the game labeled as 'Personal Story' missions, is seperate from the rest of the world, and is mainly the story of your character. The main world is seperated from those missions, and the main world will be open, persistent, and will have the DES. To make it a bit easier for you, here is an excerpt from an article just released today on Gamespot:

GS: The previous Guild Wars game offered an excellent hack-and-slash role-playing experience with some really interesting meta-game strategy, but despite its online play options, it wasn't necessarily massively multiplayer in every sense. We understand that the intent is to make the sequel a full-on massively multiplayer game. Tell us how. And tell us why.

EF: This was a common critique that we heard about Guild Wars. We made the first game heavily instanced to combat a lot of the things we saw as problems with massively multiplayer games--things like kill-stealing, griefing, and the inability to affect the world. With Guild Wars 2, we saw the opportunity to combat those same problems, but this time, [we'll do so] in a fully persistent world. So we use things like our event system, shared player goals, and our loot and experience point systems to eliminate many of the problems we see with other persistent-world games. To give one specific example, our event system lets players affect the world through their actions, so we don't have the problem that other games have in which a sick quest character is given an antidote only to drop to the ground a few seconds later so another player who takes the same quest can then "cure" the character. In our game, a sick character is cured until something makes them sick again, and players will almost always have the chance to prevent that sickness from occurring in the first place.

GS: How will Guild Wars 2's player-versus-environment play better reflect what ArenaNet feels massively multiplayer games will be about? For instance, how does the game handle grouping?

EF: Grouping is handled in a manner that will be familiar to most players. You can start a group and invite anyone you see fit. We see groups primarily as ways for players to keep track of each other and to help facilitate communication. One thing that is unique to our game is that it's a perfectly viable option for multiple players to play together without grouping at all. We distribute loot and XP to any player who participated in killing a monster. This means that a player can never take XP or loot away from another player by trying to help them, and it's always a viable option to help a player who's in trouble. We want it to always be a good thing when one player runs into another in the world.

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647
    Yea man those anet visionaries sure are innovative, turning MMORPG endgame into 5player dungeons.

Yea man those anet visionaries sure are innovative, turning MMORPG endgame into 5player dungeons.

Ah I see where you are coming from now. You want a pve raiding game.

Originally posted by kaiser328

Apparently a lot...

A bunch of words...

It's going to be fun watching you turn from a big guild wars mark to a pure forum flamer/hater once this game releases.

Do yourself a favor, tone down the fanboismz and hype.

I'll be buying this game but you my friend are going down the path of the darkside.

I'll be playing SW:TOR as well. How about them apples.

(or am I confusing you for someone else)

Originally posted by arenasb

Originally posted by kaiser328

Apparently a lot...

A bunch of words...

It's going to be fun watching you turn from a big guild wars mark to a pure forum flamer/hater once this game releases.

Do yourself a favor, tone down the fanboismz and hype.

I'll be buying this game but you my friend are going down the path of the darkside.

I'll be playing SW:TOR as well. How about them apples.

(or am I confusing you for someone else)

I havent decided yet. ill probably pay for all clients (TOR, GW2, FFXIV) not expecting to play passed the initial month. Or in GW2s case until A-net wants more money and decides to abandon GW2 for a new project like they did with Gw1 even though it could have use da couple more campaigns/expansions.

Who said anything about endgame? None of us. Not the devs. Those are dungeons spread throughout the game. They havent even really gotten to discussing the endgame and what there will be to do yet.

Just give it up already, every single thing you say is invalidated and shot down, usually, by multiple people. You can cry about it all you want, but GW2 will not be WoW 2.0 (now with more raiding!) just to make you happy.

Rock, I think that was an unfair jab at ANet but whatever. I do wish they would have had one more expansion for GW, however with their small staff (at the time) I can see why they made their decision.

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647
    arena don't misconstrue my point of view, just because i point out the inherent flaw in making an mmorpgs pve end game about 5player dungeons (they are mmos for a reason) doesn't mean i want pve end game.

I just find it silly that a game would cater to 5player pve as it's endgame content, when it is an MMORPG.

Poor kaiser, if you were actually informed you would have seen that the developers have said a few things about their pve end game (which will be 5 player instances)

It's funny that you think you are shooting things down though when you clearly aren't even up-to-date on all of the anet articles and what they have said about the game.

robert, as kaiser said, nobody has talked about end game yet. So I think that is an assumption which has no basis yet.

This discussion has been closed.