Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Biggest First week sales of all time

Comments

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

I haven't read every response so I hope I'm not restating, but in 2009 Guild Wars' total worldwide sales topped 6 mil. Also in 2009, World of Warcraft topped 8.6 mil in sales in the US alone. So even if Guild Wars has added an additional mil this year (it had 5 mil in 2008) that means that there are only about 7 million players who ever bought the game, vs a reported 11.5 million current subscribers to WoW. So which will sell better, Cataclysm or GW?

Now this is not to say that GW2 could in no way rival or even top WoW somewhere in the distant future, but the answer to biggest first week sales is an obvious no. Even if everyone who ever bought GW1 buys this game, it still won't beat Cataclysm's first week sales.

The only franchises currently in existence that seem like they might have a long-shot chance of getting top first week sales in the mmo market that I can think of would be GTA or Halo. And they would have to spend an unbelievable amount of money in marketing to do so, as well as have outrageously successful betas and advance reviews.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Sorry for the double, but this is unrelated to my previous post:

Some of you folks really need to learn the difference between a full stand alone game and an expansion. People keep comparing sales of TBC and WOTLK.... those are expansions to a game which already had millions of subscribers (which were acquired over several years, not at launch), not stand alone games. Of cours ethey are going to sell millions, because most players already playing will pick up the expansions, as well as some ne wplayers getting into it due to the expansion.

If you're going to compare WoW and GW2 (potential) sales numbers, please keep that in mind. WoW initial sales were nowhere near the expansion sales because it grew over time, and thos expansions are not stand alone and cannot e played without buying the previous game. GW1 however did have expansions which were playable as stand alone games without the others.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

I strongly think.... no no, I strongy know for a fact that RIFT Planes of Telara online will have the biggest sales following SWTOR, GW2 and Telara. RIFT online is the new kid on the block and from what I been seeing in about 35 video on RIFT, it will become the greatest MMORPG of all times imo.

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by kaiser3282

-snip-

*takes kaiser off the burner*

There there, let them be ignorant and leave the trolls be.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

A lot of people will be turned off of GW2 because NCSoft is involved. I personally won't buy another NCSoft game after my Aion account, which was inactive for months was hacked and banned all without me being notified about any of it. It's too bad, it looks like it could be good.

Originally posted by kartool

A lot of people will be turned off of GW2 because NCSoft is involved. I personally won't buy another NCSoft game after my Aion account, which was inactive for months was hacked and banned all without me being notified about any of it. It's too bad, it looks like it could be good.

For like the 3496593465963 time.... NCSoft handled everything with AION, they were both the developer and the publisher.

NCSoft is not MAKING GW2, Arenanet is, and Arenanet will be supporting the game as well. NCSoft is basically just the financial backing.

What happened in AION or to your AION account has absolutely nothing to do with Guild Wars 2.

This has been yet another Public Service Announcement on behalf of the Educating the Ignorant Alliance.... please pass it on to the next ignorant person you bump into.

• IkonicIkonic Member UncommonPosts: 310

Wasn't Tabula Rasa only published by NCsoft?

• canibusclubcanibusclub Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

Originally posted by canibusclub

Originally posted by Luthor_X

This game will not only be the death of WoW, but it will slaughter it and beat it like a step child. It will definately put the final nail in SWG's death coffin.

For the last time, there is no such thing as a "WoW Killer".

mark my words , this game is gonna KILL WoW!!!

Please, for the love of god and all that is holy, stop saying "WoW Killer." I'm extreamly excited for GW2, but everytime someone says WoW killer I cringe. Its too much of a buzz word, and it makes the community, and you, look imature and overhyped.

oops sorryimage I guess I just got a lil too excited. Carry on.

• canibusclubcanibusclub Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by kartool

hmm same thing happend to me with aion. Spent 6 months leveling a character getting him to 50 getting him all the best gear and than bam I get hit in the head with the "banhammer" as they like to call it, for no reason at all.

They wouldn't even respond to my messages , I was so furious. They did try to give me the run around on the phone and it went nowhere.   I told my self that I would never play another Ncsoft game.

I guess I am willing to give gw2 a shot, but ffs please do NOT let those idiots at aion have any control over policing that game.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

Sorry for the double, but this is unrelated to my previous post:

Some of you folks really need to learn the difference between a full stand alone game and an expansion. People keep comparing sales of TBC and WOTLK.... those are expansions to a game which already had millions of subscribers (which were acquired over several years, not at launch), not stand alone games. Of cours ethey are going to sell millions, because most players already playing will pick up the expansions, as well as some ne wplayers getting into it due to the expansion.

If you're going to compare WoW and GW2 (potential) sales numbers, please keep that in mind. WoW initial sales were nowhere near the expansion sales because it grew over time, and thos expansions are not stand alone and cannot e played without buying the previous game. GW1 however did have expansions which were playable as stand alone games without the others.

hmm... ok. I suppose if you want to discount expansions then GW2 might actually have a chance of beating WoW. I would think that it would only be fair, then, to not even pose the question since sequels almost always outsell the originals in week 1. Obviously, GW2 will post much larger numbers than GW1 and may even have a shot at WoW, not because it's GW or it's awesome, but because it's 2. I guess by that logic GTA 4 should be proud that it beat Halo 1.

If we're just looking at original releases of stand alone games do we even have the numbers? I'm having a really hard time finding them. I know that on day 1 WoW sold 240,000 copies and had over 200,000 unique subscribers. The only other number I could find was for WAR, which had 500,000 created accounts in the first week. That must have at least been in the ballpark, although I assume WoW had closer to 1 mil subscribers in the first week.

But, yeah. If all you want to count is WoW's first release, first week sales then, yes, it'll get beat soon. Maybe by GW2. I don't know how much it says about a sequel in an industry that is expanding to 8 billion in revenue per year that it took down a first release in 2004, but kudos to them if they do it.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Luthor_X

This game will not only be the death of WoW, but it will slaughter it and beat it like a step child. It will definately put the final nail in SWG's death coffin.

For the last time, there is no such thing as a "WoW Killer".

Pffffft.....SURE there is, and her name is Blizzard.

But I'm still going to be playing GW2, more than likely...alongside of EQ2, TSW, or Rift (whichever one of those I deem worthy by then...for now...it's EQ2 until someone can present me with something I enjoy MORE).

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by Ikonic

Wasn't Tabula Rasa only published by NCsoft?

I believe so (i could be wrong there), however it certainly was not developed by Arenanet, so don't see what relevance that has to anything.

As an additional note to this and my last post:

1) Movies: To put this whole publisher/developer thing into perspective. Theres a lot of big movie production companies out there, for example Paramount, which do hings like provid ethe financial backing for the movie. There are a lot of different directors out there as well, some who work exclusively for certain companies such as Paramount. So if 1 director makes a terrible movie which is produced by Paramount, does that mean any movie that Paramount produces is going to have the same things wrong with it, or be bad at all? No. Howver chances are the same director will make a bad movie, regardless of who he is producer is, It works the same way with game publishers and developers.

2) Regarding "I was hacked in AION (or whatever game) so I dont want to play GW2(or whatever game)". Do people honestly not realized that (im like 99.9% certain on this) that no MMORPG in history can claim to have never had a single player hacked or any other form of hacking at all. If you're going to use such a lame excuse as "because i (or someone else) was hacked in X game...." for not playing a game, then you might as well say "im just going to quit MMORPGs forever" unless you're going to maybe stick to nothing but games made by completely new companies that have never made a game in the past to be hacked.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I'm calling it right now.

GW2 is going to be nothing but a game we all buy and don't play just like the first one.

You guys are expecting way too much out of this game.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Rockgod99

GW2 is going to be nothing but a game we all buy and don't play just like the first one.

You not playing it does not = we dont play it.

Just watch. No need to argue about it now.

We will all own a client box (or Digital DL) and near noone will play it just like the first game.

This big bad WoW killer with less than 100k users just like GW1.

Doesnt mean it wont be good, just not gods gift to mmorpg like you people expect.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Who is "we"?

I still play guild wars. Speak for yourself bud.

We will all own a client box (or Digital DL) and near noone will play it just like the first game.

Doesnt mean it wont be good, just not gods gift to mmorpg like you people expect.

Just wondering if you've been paying attention at all. Are you aware that GW1 was not a full blown MMORPG? That GW2 is implementing all the stuff that was lacking from GW1 which kept people from playing (or continuing to play) GW1? On top of adding all those things, also adding in lots of new features that arent seen often, if at all in MMOs?

Your argument is like trying to say "well warcraft 1/2/3 only has X amount of peopel still playing it, so obviously World of Warcraft numbers must be the same". 2 different types of games, though taking place in the same world/setting/lore and having some features in common.

Just wondering if you've been paying attention at all. Are you aware that GW1 was not a full blown MMORPG?

Come back to this thread once GW2 releases. It wont be considered a true mmorpg either.

Originally posted by arenasb

Who is "we"?

I still play guild wars. Speak for yourself bud.

Yeah you and ten other dudes... Why bother with GW1 it hasnt had a solid dev team behind it since its last campaign.

That was what two years ago? How many mmos just stop development like that?

Like I said I think you all are expecting way too much out of this game and maybe even a developer thats already proven to drop a older game once they start to develop a new one.

^ that can't be disputed its a fact bro.

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647
    Looks as though kaiser is picking and choosing things that only support his point of view again.

All of a sudden TBC and WOTLK sales don't count because they are expansions? Well let me say this, wow didn't hit 11 million until TBC, and TBC just like wotlk rejuvenates the wow population by adding fresh blood.

Each expansion helps wow to grow more and more, not wow vanilla helping each expansion to grow.

Also let me clarify, gw1 was not an mmo period, and don't say "we all know that" don't speak for other people, cause often times they don't know that.

It is a very dangerous mentality when you speak from the perspective that your opinion is right no matter what and that you just assume everyone thinks the way you do (for example saying "WE ALL KNOW") I mean did you survey everyone and ask them if they all knew? Because many people still confuse GW1 and say it was an mmorpg.

Anyway you accuse people of trolling so I guess they should be allowed to mention you may be a fanboi?

Anet says they want you to have a permanent effect on the environment. You go on to say "things will be permanent that doesn't mean they will be there for all eternity".

So let me ask you, what is your definition of permanent? And how do you know for sure that the dynamic event system will meet that definition? If your "permanent" impact reverses itself in 15minutes is it permanent? 1hour? 1day? 1 week?

While permanent and temporary can often be subjective relative to the topic they are being applied to, a game where the events are specifically said to be cyclical in nature, should not be labeled as letting players have a "permanent" impact, so much as a temporary impact.

Also don't tell others to get informed when you are clearly biased and ill-informed on many aspects yourself.

Originally posted by RobertDinh

Looks as though kaiser is picking and choosing things that only support his point of view again. All of a sudden TBC and WOTLK sales don't count because they are expansions? Well let me say this, wow didn't hit 11 million until TBC, and TBC just like wotlk rejuvenates the wow population by adding fresh blood. Each expansion helps wow to grow more and more, not wow vanilla helping each expansion to grow. Also let me clarify, gw1 was not an mmo period, and don't say "we all know that" don't speak for other people, cause often times they don't know that. It is a very dangerous mentality when you speak from the perspective that your opinion is right no matter what and that you just assume everyone thinks the way you do (for example saying "WE ALL KNOW") I mean did you survey everyone and ask them if they all knew? Because many people still confuse GW1 and say it was an mmorpg. Anyway you accuse people of trolling so I guess they should be allowed to mention you may be a fanboi? Anet says they want you to have a permanent effect on the environment. You go on to say "things will be permanent that doesn't mean they will be there for all eternity". So let me ask you, what is your definition of permanent? And how do you know for sure that the dynamic event system will meet that definition? If your "permanent" impact reverses itself in 15minutes is it permanent? 1hour? 1day? 1 week? While permanent and temporary can often be subjective relative to the topic they are being applied to, a game where the events are specifically said to be cyclical in nature, should not be labeled as letting players have a "permanent" impact, so much as a temporary impact. Also don't tell others to get informed when you are clearly biased and ill-informed on many aspects yourself.

^ this forum needs to be optimized for smart phones. Site owners I hope your paying attention to this crap? the guy comes off like he's retarded.

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Looks as though kaiser is picking and choosing things that only support his point of view again. All of a sudden TBC and WOTLK sales don't count because they are expansions? Well let me say this, wow didn't hit 11 million until TBC, and TBC just like wotlk rejuvenates the wow population by adding fresh blood. Each expansion helps wow to grow more and more, not wow vanilla helping each expansion to grow. Also let me clarify, gw1 was not an mmo period, and don't say "we all know that" don't speak for other people, cause often times they don't know that. It is a very dangerous mentality when you speak from the perspective that your opinion is right no matter what and that you just assume everyone thinks the way you do (for example saying "WE ALL KNOW") I mean did you survey everyone and ask them if they all knew? Because many people still confuse GW1 and say it was an mmorpg. Anyway you accuse people of trolling so I guess they should be allowed to mention you may be a fanboi? Anet says they want you to have a permanent effect on the environment. You go on to say "things will be permanent that doesn't mean they will be there for all eternity". So let me ask you, what is your definition of permanent? And how do you know for sure that the dynamic event system will meet that definition? If your "permanent" impact reverses itself in 15minutes is it permanent? 1hour? 1day? 1 week? While permanent and temporary can often be subjective relative to the topic they are being applied to, a game where the events are specifically said to be cyclical in nature, should not be labeled as letting players have a "permanent" impact, so much as a temporary impact. Also don't tell others to get informed when you are clearly biased and ill-informed on many aspects yourself.

^ this forum needs to be optimized for smart phones. Site owners I hope your paying attention to this crap? the guy comes off like he's retarded.

This guy used to post on GW2G, and he posted like that there to. Until he got banned, that is.

And before you said GW2 won't be considered an MMO when its released, why do you say that?

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

This guy used to post on GW2G, and he posted like that there to. Until he got banned, that is.

And before you said GW2 won't be considered an MMO when its released, why do you say that?

Like it or not GW2 will still play like a Hub based Rpg. I don't care what mechanics are in place we will always place it with games like PSO and once you do that people dispute its validity on being a true mmorog.

Even though i disagree with that.

• thepureonethepureone Member Posts: 18

150 devs wots that saying about cooks?

Ah this one again... youre so entertaining sometimes. Does everything you read just go way over your head?

Did you even read the entire post? They have not said every single little detail of everything you do will be everlasting and eternal. They have said that your IMPACT on the world will be permanent.... which i went on to explain through several paragraphs of how what you do can have permanent impact, though exactly what you did might not be permanent. Reading comprehension FTW! Maybe i can simplify this one too... Go kick someone. It hurts them, but only temporarily. But the resulting anger and hurt feelings they have as a result can be permanent. Do you need to somehow perform a  magical eternal and everlasting kick that never ends for the kick to have a permanent effect?

Sorry, i didnt realize i needed to clarfiy every single word i say with direct reference to exactly who i am refering to. So here goes, i will attempt to fulfill your request somewhat.... Im sorry RobertDihn, that i didn't, specifically for you RobertDihn, explain myself in terms that you RobertDihn, could understand. That portion of the post was not directed at you, and those who it was directed at know what i was referring to, since they are the ones making the comments i was referring to. If what i am saying in response to someone elses comments does not apply to you or your comments, then please, move on.As for the WoW expansion thing... i dont know how to explain it much more simpler for you, but i will try.

WoW = game

TBC, WOTLK, Cata = EXPANSIONS to an existing game which require the pruchase of said game in order to play them, not standalone games that can be purchased and played seperately from WoW.

GW2 = brand new stand alone game (just like WoW was), not an expansion in which a large portion of sales are made to an already existant playerbase. Does not require the pruchase of anything else to be playable.

Do you understand any of this yet? If not, then please just don't even bother reading and replying to my posts. It's starting to feel akin to a 1st grader attemtping to perform advanced calculus and thinking it is impossible only because he is incapable of grasping it at his current level.

(i cant believe i actually need to explain the difference between expansions and games at this point, on top of explaining the difference between temporary actions and permanent consequences)

This discussion has been closed.