Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Biggest First week sales of all time

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

You failed to mention they let you buy max level characters.

Max lvl characters?! Where did you get that from?!

• ImmortalAriaImmortalAria Member Posts: 11

The only thing i can think of is PVP charas....but you don't buy those....

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by ImmortalAria

Hmm, might have been I misunderstood how those worked, then. Never played GW, just always heard about people starting with max level characters, so I thought they were purchaseable. My bad then.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by Morcotulcon

Originally posted by uquipu

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

What's their plan again?

Sell boxes, servers are free, and how do they make money going forward to pay for the servers?

Cash shop?

Lots and lots of expansions for you to buy.

And yes, Cash shop but with a different logic. In GW1 there are costumes and fashionables, Skills and pets unlock packs (in GW1 you have to "steal" the best/unique skills from mobs and bosses, but you cant use them if you dont have the lvl needed for them), more storage in bank (but you have plenty of storage and you can change between characters of the same account) and char name change. There are no items that make disadvantages, there are no more stats or skill points, no teleports, no world chat tokens, no special armours/weapons, no exp items, etc.

Probably GW2 will be simillar.

You failed to mention they let you buy max level characters.

What??? O.O you must be mistaken -.-" !

Everyone can be max lvl characters without paying, that is one of the features GW1 has since the beguining! They did it for the ones that wanna do PVP with lvl 20 or dont have the patience to do everything from lvl 1-20! As everyone that plays/played GW1 knows, there's so much more to do in the "end-game" (in other words, when reach lvl cap) that doing the lvls from 1 to 20 is just a way learn how to play or to try different class combinations. In fact, for those that start from lvl 1, the PVP arenas have lvl restrictions in order to exist balance!

• ImmortalAriaImmortalAria Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by ImmortalAria

Hmm, might have been I misunderstood how those worked, then. Never played GW, just always heard about people starting with max level characters, so I thought they were purchaseable. My bad then.

It was an option at character creation, you didn't have to pay shit lol

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I'm not getting this GW2 hype. Did GW1 really sell that well? I tried it, it was ok - and I know a few people who bought it, but didn't play it after a few weeks. I don't know anyone who plays it now, or anyone who thought it was the greatest game ever - which is what you need for a sequel to sell in the tens of millions. 

Warcraft initially sold well due to the brand name and massive single player reputation of Blizzard. It went on to continue to sell due to the appeal to the "everyman gamer" (as opposed to MMO fans),combined with "fun casual" graphics and through word of mouth. Everyone I know has heard of Warcraft, even my 65 year old mother has asked me if I have played of it. But who really has heard of Guild Wars, outside of the MMO community? I even asked a raid member if he was thinking of getting it and his reply was "They made a sequel? Didnt really get the first one, so no, doubt it".

If a game, or sequel, is to beat WoW, it will take alot more. The only people I could think of would be something like COD Online or "World of Quake".

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

gw2 should start advertising itself in order to beat wow, and not only on internet or gamescon, but on TV aswell. There is not that many people reading their blogs and articles (they are lazy), most of them (people who read) are mmo hardcore gamers and gw1 fans. If they want more audience they need commercial :D

P.S. gw2's hype is based on only 1200 votes which is quite low, while EVE online for example has 7500 votes. Surely their score is more closer to the truth than gw2's. Most of those 1200 votes are gw fans that rate it with 10, so hype is not 100% accurate factor which we use to see which game is the best. However, if people would read articles more, they would realise that gw2 really deserves that hype. However, we shall see how well will people rate after playing it, but I'm confident that it will do just great!

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Does it matter? is the question I ask myself right now and the answer is simply no.

I loved GW, spent a solid 4 years in that game made a great circle of friends and don't regret a moment of it, with that in mind my experience of Anet is a good one, to that end I wish them nothing but the best and hope that they continue to make enough sales to grow and keep making games, that and whether or not I enjoy GW2 are the only 2 things that matter to me. I hope they have fantastic sales for the former reason and I hope GW2 rocks for the latter reason. Beyond that I couldn't give a monkeys elbow if it beats x game in sales.

• NoEndInLifeNoEndInLife Member Posts: 189

I can pretty much guarrantee that GW2 will be a success. The truth of the matter is that in a sense it doesn't really have any competition.

With this one time payment model they are using, nothing is really stopping ppl from buying it. I mean even if it's half the game devs say it is, people are still going to buy it because they are probably going to think "why not?".

If the game fails it still makes for a great alternate mmo seeing that it's free, and if it's great well then you have a new main mmo.

"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet." -Bob Marley

I'm probably one of those people who just get wet.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by yoyoyoblaka

GW2 won't dethrone WoW i can guarantee that. The guild wars series just doesn't have that lasting element to it, 

Anyone that has played GW1 should know that. Seriously though guild wars 1 wasn't even that great, I wouldn't even really consider it an MMO its more of a diablo type game. 

so do the devs   they says its a CORPG...and lasting element...ive been playing GW1 for 56 months....lasting...yeah i think it can

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Well first not even the main GW community wants GW2 to be a WoW Killer. It's all the other people who are spouting off that crap. Honestly, we don't care if it kills any game. We don't care if it is best best game ever. We just want it to be fun. BTW popularity does not equate fun, and I'll use WoW as an example. yes I have a level 80 in WoW. I got sick of trying to get caught up to everyone else. By the time I finally get good enough gear to start ToC, Ruby Sanctum came out. My subscription is up now. But I'm just bored with it. That's not to say I'm not going to try cataclysm when it is released, because I am.

Also what does such a loyal fanbase tell you about ArenaNet as a company. ArenaNet obvious has done something right if they have a high retention rate.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Well WoW:Wotlk sold 2.8 million copies in the first 24hours (not avaliable in china -- still not LOL), and over 4 million in the first month.... now granted it was an expansion but thats a hard number to beat, SC2 sold 1.5 million copies in the first 48hours so will probably go onto sell 2.5+ million in the first month.

GW might have a following but not big enough to sell in those volumes.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Absolutely not.  There is just no way that this will be the biggest first week.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by expresso

Well WoW:Wotlk sold 2.8 million copies in the first 24hours (not avaliable in china -- still not LOL), and over 4 million in the first month.... now granted it was an expansion but thats a hard number to beat, SC2 sold 1.5 million copies in the first 48hours so will probably go onto sell 2.5+ million in the first month.

GW might have a following but not big enough to sell in those volumes.

This pretty much.

GW2 will gain sales over time but I don't believe it will have a record number in the first week. The game just isn't on many peoples radar. SW:TOR has a much greater chance of getting record sales, it's a much more well known product.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Regardless of the hype meter on this site, Star Wars: The Old Republic has much more hype going for it than Guild Wars 2 does in the overall gaming community. Plus the fact that its Star Wars will attract a huge group of fans who aren't even into MMOs. I don't think Guild Wars 2 can sport anywhere near the kind of first day sales TOR will have...

Not saying GW2 will be a bad game or anything. I think it looks great! Just saying that it doesn't have a universally loved IP like Star Wars behind it OR a company as well known as Bioware developing it.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Why do ppl (except the developers of course) even care about these kind of numbers? Its not as if a MMO is some kind of sportsteam which tries to win a championship. GW2's payment model doesnt even compete with subbased games like WoW. Actually, because its not (hindered by being) subscription based its easier to get higher amount of boxsales.

Im also looking forward to GW2, but I really dont give a shit about the amount of boxsales.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by arcdevil

they call it "standard development". others know that as "shameful ripoff from unoriginal developers void of any talent that lost their way long long ago"

Except of course that when Blizzard rips a concept off another IP/Game they tend to do it better. And that's why they run a MMO that generates a billion a year in revenue.

Perspective. Get some.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by thedarkess

gw2 should start advertising itself in order to beat wow

I'm a big GW2 fan. I follow the information as it is doled out and am probably as informed about the gameplay mechanics as any fan. That being said, the phallacy of trying to 'beat wow' is not something that, I think, any developer should try and do.

As I understand it, WoW's popularity came about from a kind of perfect storm of circumstances, one being EQ's technical requirements, disenfranchised gamers, Blizzard's previous success with single player and RTS games. I am not sure today's MMO environment can duplicate those circumstances to allow a true juggernaut like WoW back into the arena.

Then we had (and will have) a slew of MMO's that were all striving to copy WoW's success by replicating their UI, instance style, battlegrounds, etc. Suffice to say, not one of those titles has ever achieved any kind of subscription numbers to allow a serious discussion on whether or not they are competing with WoW. I think TOR will be the most successful of these efforts, but ultimately will not be able to reach or retain half of WoW's sub numbers. But predictions are easy.

My point is GW2 should look to making a great GW game, expand upon their strengths, shore up their weaknesses, and adhere completely to the philosophy of crafting the best game they can with their own unique vision. Anything else, like trying to beat wow, is an ill-advised distraction that can only offer disappointment to both the developers and the fans.

No one is going to say no to 11+ million subs, but the next game to do it won't get there by copying WoW. It will get there because it is different and innovative in all the key aspects, and advances the genre forward in ways that fans will support.

Why are ppl even talking about beating WoW? GW IS NOT SUBSCRIPTION BASED! GW2 will be about selling boxes, there will be no charts about how long ppl stay playing after the initial buy. You simply wont be able to compare both games success.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by someforumguy

Why are ppl even talking about beating WoW? GW IS NOT SUBSCRIPTION BASED! GW2 will be about selling boxes, there will be no charts about how long ppl stay playing after the initial buy. You simply wont be able to compare both games success.

You should know by now how the mmo culture works. Everything that is coming out will be compared to the most popular item. I've stopped worrying about why people compare such and such game to WoW. Just let it go and judge the game on its own merits.

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Personally, I don't care if it beats WoW, SWTOR, Tera, C9 ect. or anything else out there. It just doesn't matter. I play and like GW, fun game with interesting mechanics. That is all I really wish for GW2. The innovation is nice and should provide at the very least a novel experience to gameplay. Hell, I don't want it to completely blow every other MMO out of the water, I want competition and variety among the developers.

Do I think GW2 will do well in initial box sells? Hell yea I do! Best ever? I don't know. So please people, stop adding such mindless hype to it. Just cheer on the devs and don't mention anything about beating WoW or anything else. It makes the GW2 community look bad and the game overhyped.

*sigh* Its all that damned video's fault... gets people too excited when they didn't even say much of anything concrete. Read the ArenaNet Blog, visit the GW2 main site. That is where all the information is, that is the core of the game, that is where the hype should be coming from; not some flashy video.

So please, I implore you, don't say best game ever, and don't say WoW killer. Discuss the mechanics, talk about how this is an interesting feature in an MMO, talk about the actual game instead of this mindless hype.

Originally posted by arenasb

Originally posted by someforumguy

You should know by now how the mmo culture works. Everything that is coming out will be compared to the most popular item. I've stopped worrying about why people compare such and such game to WoW. Just let it go and judge the game on its own merits.

Yes I know, but in this case its a ridiculously stupid comparison because of the different payment models.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Agreed that some people are really over their heads.

This is not a developer fault, they market their product and keep the interest on, if its going to generate a truckload of hype its not their fault.

I am very excited about this game but entirely conscious that I might be mistaken about it, I tend to not overhype as the OP, saying that this game will be a Best Seller in the gaming world is a bit of arrogancy, it might be or it might be not but trying to judge before even near the launch is tough.

The demo gameplay next week can bring good or bad news to us, if it brings good news you can expect that the hype gauge of GW2 in this site will get near to 10 in a few months, but if these people expect too much they might get disappointed by little details and this is not healthy for a launching game.

Word of mouth is a powerful thing, frustrated  overhyped people might burn the game down and this is dangerous.

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

The only real way to measure gw2's success outside ol box sales for the first game is is expansions sales. That should tell you extremely roughly how well the game is doing. If the expansions sells roughly the same amount as the original then it means the number of people that have given up on the game is about the same as the number of new players being brought it. It would mean the same as say 2 million subscribers to A-Net since as long as players continue to buy the expansions they're as good as subscribers. Of course this would count sales of expansion bundles with the original game as well as the expansion alone.

If the box sales increase then the game is doing amazingly well as not just has the majority of players continued to purchase the expansion but also the number of new players choosing to buy the game exceeds the number of old players leaving. It would also mean the game has a good reputation and the majority of players enjoy the game. If the expansion sells less then it's pretty self explanitory. 

• HunterhyenaHunterhyena Member Posts: 91

Hmm. Let me assess this. People think that GW2 will be WoW killer? HA. Never. Only the Fanboys do. No one wants it to. Not even the Developers. They want it to make other companies realise that P2P isn't the only way a MMORPG can be a good MMORPG. GW2 won't beat WoW in subs because it has none. It will just make people realise that P2P is scamming you. Keeping a MMO running doesn't actually take that much money if your game is of good quality. Take GW1 for example. It wasn't the best game but it still kept running even WITHOUGHT P2P Model. For those who are staying away from Guild wars 2 because they hated GW1 are being ridiculous because. IT IS NOT THISAME DAMN GAME! THEY ARE ALMOST COMPLETLEY DIFFIRENT. For those who are confused about the Respawning boss. here is short explenation

in normal MMOs the boss respawns in thisame place after 5 minutes doing this same evil deeds in this same evil place. In GW2 that is not so. U defeat the dragon but it doesn't die it flies away to do some other evil doings. U still get the XP and loot but. It isn't this same. It might go and terrorize a village now or Go attack a fort. Maybe it just feels like blocking people's way into a cave. They respawn but not in this same place causing this same problem. They do diffirent things.

"Hi I'm the big bad Shatterer I will go fry some Charr today" *flies to Outskirts of Black Citadel* "argrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh" "Stupid people defeating me I think I will go destroy their water supply for defeatnig me" *flies away (really respawning)* "hmm easy pickings* *destroys and corrupts water* "muahahaha... oh no those blasted heroes have defeated me again"

Blasted heroes:  ok guys lets cure this water supply.

Blasted hero (barbaric personality) Nana. I think I I won't help these villagers

Villagers: darn you Blasted Hero with barbaric personality

Blasted heroes: yay we fixed the water supply

Villagers: Here is your reward and 20% off trade. But that Barbaric Personality guy will have 20% increase muahaha!

Blasted heroes: whats that. The Shatterer is terrorizing some old farmer's crops. BLASTED HEROES TO THE RESCUE!

hehehe,hahahahaHAHAHAHA

laughing Hyena, get used to it -_-

This discussion has been closed.