Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play what ?

Comments

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

After reading the chart it looks like false advertising.

While certain aspects of the game are free 2 play, it appears to be a glorified free trial/demo.

Maybe send this advertising over to some lawyers and see how they chew on it.  ( lolunlimited internet but with a 5-10gb cap).

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Well, at some daytimes the landscape is beautyfull coloured.

The wild life and monstes have a special, not ugly appeal, sometimes are quite funny.

Quests so far are pretty much old standard, questhelp is rudimentary.

The Chars are like such out of a ten year old game and the animations are substandard.

Could survive as f2p game if it gets a playerbase.

So far i see it they got around 140 players growth since friday f2p start.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• DapyxDapyx Member Posts: 10

After I raised same issues on their forums, you know what people responded? That if I want to play a high quality, "western-style", "made by americans" game, I have to pay.

Why should I care if a game is made by americans? Runes of Magic is made in Taiwan by chinese and is better than some "made by americans" games. And truly f2p, not free trial.

Aion is made in Koreea and it's a big hit. 

Want to bet against me? I bet 100€ that Alganon will shut down before the end of next year if they will continue to use this f2p - "free trial" model. Not only it will shut down, bu with some financial loss, too.

Alganon is not DDO, LOTRO or Everquest 2. And their team doesn't have the same resources of Sony or Turbine.

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

Not sure where the 140 players numbers come from. I have been on at various times hoping that the population would grow but sadly it has not. My count from both servers combined have been averge 80 players. Peak was Saturday at primetime 8:00pm, and it was 95.

Even if they went to a real Free to Play the game is been walked up to the noose.

Good luck last remaining QOL staff. But those numbers will not make the game last too much longer.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by dsmart

You are 100% wrong.

Like all F2P games, if you want perks and such, you have to pay for them. Our model does not require you to buy anything in order to play the game. I guess the chart wasn't clear enough?

Anyway if you had actually played the game - like those who are doing just that - you'd know all this.

I don't consider reaching the max level cap a "perk".

In my honest opinion, your offer looks more like an expanded trial, rather than an actual Free-to-play game.

• TelonTelon Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Dapyx

After I raised same issues on their forums, you know what people responded? That if I want to play a high quality, "western-style", "made by americans" game, I have to pay.

Why should I care if a game is made by americans? Runes of Magic is made in Taiwan by chinese and is better than some "made by americans" games. And truly f2p, not free trial.

Want to bet against me? I bet 100€ that Alganon will shut down before the end of next year if they will continue to use this f2p - "free trial" model. Not only it will shut down, bu with some financial loss, too.

Alganon is not DDO, LOTRO or Everquest 2. And their team doesn't have the same resources of Sony or Turbine.

I read the thread on there and don't recall anyone saying anything about high quality games.  They just said games like RoM are Asian grinders with the cash shop is spend to win.  That US f2p mmo's are starting to go with pay as you go.

I don't see how you can say Aion is a big hit, maybe over sea's.  But here in the US they just had server merges cause so little people are playing it now.

As for DDO and them, remember to unlock them all you have to keep paying $14.99 a month or pay the cash and unlock them in the games store.  From what I've read of EQ2's f2p it's going to be very limited too.  Believe DDO, LotRo, and EQ2X are setup to where some classes and races are locked till you pay for it.

With Alganon you can play for free and be limited or spend a whole one time fee of $20 to unlock it.  Or you can play Asian grinders where to really get anywhere you have to keep spending that cash month after month.  So to me pretty much all f2p or limited to a point.  Either stuff is locked or the game is so much of a grind you have to spend money to get anywhere.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Thats just nonsense. No such thing was said.

And no, Aion is NOT a hit in the US.

If you're going to post, at least post something that has some basis in reality.

Alganon is steadily growing thank you very much. I remember back in Dec when most of you - who aren't even playing it - were saying that it was dead in a few months. It is now August - and we're still making strides.

The biz model is just fine and we have no intentions of changing it.

If you don't like the game, don't play it, don't post about it. What's so hard about that?

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

Thats just nonsense. No such thing was said.

And no, Aion is NOT a hit in the US.

If you're going to post, at least post something that has some basis in reality.

Alganon is steadily growing thank you very much. I remember back in Dec when most of you - who aren't even playing it - were saying that it was dead in a few months. It is now August - and we're still making strides.

The biz model is just fine and we have no intentions of changing it.

If you don't like the game, don't play it, don't post about it. What's so hard about that?

The world isn't resuming to USA. Aion has a great base of players who pay for it. It has many players in Eu and Asia, etc. 

I didn't knew that you are trying to attract just players from USA, but that being the case, I wish you good luck.

I may like the game, I didn't said I don't. I'm just saying that the business model is not going to work for Alganon.

I post about whatever game I wish to discuss, I'm trying to be polite and civilized and at least I'm not attacking people.

Good luck with your game/business model/whatever. Good luck at beating LOTRO, DDO, Everquest 2 and other games out there who use the same "f2p" model. Good luck at beating real f2p games.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Don't play it - CHECK

Don't post about it - LOL

Before the takeover at QoL, criticism was allowed and Tork treated people with respect. Ever since then, the atmosphere has been stifling and hostile to legitimate criticism.

When  you piss people off, they are much more likely to want to share their complaints with others.  The Alganon revamp provided a wonderful opportunity for QoL to generate goodwill and respect.  Find a real replacement for Tork and let them be the face of the company on the forums and elsewhere.

Treat people with respect and listen to your community.  What's so hard about that?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Before the takeover at QoL, criticism was allowed and Tork treated people with respect. Ever since then, the atmosphere has been stifling and hostile to legitimate criticism.

Yet more nonsense from you. Don't you ever quit?

The fact is that there are 100s of complaints (emails even) from the forums from long before March (when I officially took the reins). And it has nothing to do with respect or me. Nobody is being disrespected. Idiots who want to misbehave are treated like idiots who are misbehaving. No exceptions. If there are others there who are behaving, following the rules, playing the game etc then you and your ilk (oh thats right, you guys were already banned there, so you come whine here) should follow suit instead of ignoring the rules.

Now that you're in yet another thread, my guess is that it will be locked before long. But carry on, it doesn't bother me one bit and the fact that people are playing the game and pretty much ignoring you and your ilk, just means that you're just a sad nobody out on a lose-lose forum vendetta. Must be nice.

Fact is that your efforts are pointless. So why don't you just move on with your life? You DO have one, right?

we could ask you the same thing, you do have a life right? then why lie several times on your projects?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Actually, I was treated with no respect when I posted my comments on the forums, even before the takeover.  I was banned for "trolling", despite the fact that none of my posts were trolling posts at all (the first one gave my opinion of the state of the game, and the second was responding to someones request for reviews by posting bad reviews for the game because there were no good reviews to be found).  This so called "respect" that Tork (along with the rest of the community) was supposed to treat people with was completely absent.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• darqkdarqk Member Posts: 20

Ok I just have to say a few things about all this. First of all, I tried out Alganon and I just laughed the entire time I played it because how bad it was. My rig is fine. I have been able to play WoW, Coh, CO, Allods, AOC, WAR, and countless other games that are much more graphically demanding than this but when I tried to play this game I would wait about 20 mins for an area (town) to load. I first thought I would try the game because I heard about how it was basically a dollar store version of WoW. Seeing as how I am usually a sucker for b-budget knockoffs, I thought what the hell, can't be that bad. Then I played it. It's bad. So bad that I don't even think Ed Wood would have had any respect for it. 

But That's just my opinion. Sure, many others may feel the same way but that's how humans are. They see something and if they like it they will tell you they like it, and if they don't then they will tell you they don't and why. Which leads to my next point. I think that it speaks volumes about how bad a game is or how big the ego of a boss of a game/game company is when the boss makes accounts on forums of his games genre to defend his game or bash anyone who criticizes his game. There's a saying, Everyone's a Critic. People just have to except that, move on, and worry about what they have to do instead of calling people who don't like your game idiots on internet forums. I mean that's about as bad and as childish as what Spike Games did to Spoony when he gave a review of the Deadliest Warrior game.

So with that I'll close with this, If you like Alganon then play it. If you don't then well don't. I have chose to do the latter not just because the game sucks IMO but because of the childish lengths Quest Games goes to in order to defend their dollar store game.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

I have been playing RPGs, MMOs, and every console and computer game since Atari and Commodore VIC 20, so I have seen games in all form of basic graphics, pen and paper, and to high end games of today. What I learned is that it doesn't matter what is used to create a game, it is the people who play the game that matters.

When I started reading this thread, I was looking for how the release of Alganon was going. I like to read what people have to say about a game, both good and bad, and it helps me decide if I want to try it.As most intelligent people who read these forums, I can tell the difference between the fanbois, trollers, and typical flamers and can piece out the forums that really tell about a new game.

Most of time, I am still willing to give a game a shot despite what is posted, because, in the end, the game is still free to try, and costs me nothing to give it a shot. In this fashion, I have disliked some like Earth Eternal, Soul Master, and Fantasy Earht Zero, while playing and paying microtransactins for games like DDO and League of Legends. But not since the Allods debacle have I seen a developer treat those with opnions with such rude words.

I have twenty years experience in customer service and I have never seen a representative of a company go to such lengths as to make the comments that you have on this forum, Mr. Smart. Because of your actions, and your actions alone, I will not be trying Alganon, nor any other game you chose to represent.

In fact, if you were flipping burgers at Mc Donalds, I would turn around and go eat at Burger King and I can't stand Whoppers.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by negacrowbar

I have been playing RPGs, MMOs, and every console and computer game since Atari and Commodore VIC 20, so I have seen games in all form of basic graphics, pen and paper, and to high end games of today. What I learned is that it doesn't matter what is used to create a game, it is the people who play the game that matters.

When I started reading this thread, I was looking for how the release of Alganon was going. I like to read what people have to say about a game, both good and bad, and it helps me decide if I want to try it.As most intelligent people who read these forums, I can tell the difference between the fanbois, trollers, and typical flamers and can piece out the forums that really tell about a new game.

Most of time, I am still willing to give a game a shot despite what is posted, because, in the end, the game is still free to try, and costs me nothing to give it a shot. In this fashion, I have disliked some like Earth Eternal, Soul Master, and Fantasy Earht Zero, while playing and paying microtransactins for games like DDO and League of Legends. But not since the Allods debacle have I seen a developer treat those with opnions with such rude words.

I have twenty years experience in customer service and I have never seen a representative of a company go to such lengths as to make the comments that you have on this forum, Mr. Smart. Because of your actions, and your actions alone, I will not be trying Alganon, nor any other game you chose to represent.

In fact, if you were flipping burgers at Mc Donalds, I would turn around and go eat at Burger King and I can't stand Whoppers.

Yah OK, whatever.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by sevitoth

Honestly, does it really matter? EQ2 f2p comes out this Tuesday, with LOTRO f2p not too far behind it. Noone is even going to notice this game. There is no way that Alganon can compete with the big boys. It's only a matter of time before the price is dropped, or the game shuts down altogether.

Admittedly both EQ2 and LOTRO are better games than Alganon, as is DDO, and they will offer more actual F2P content and a much higher level cap than Alganon (EQ2 caps at 80 if you don't buy/own the current expansion), but they still aren't completely free to play. Take LOTRO for example if you don't subscribe to, or are not a lifer, then as a F2Player you will have to pay for content, quests etc. This is already the case with DDO. I'm not sure how EQ2 is being handled though, they indicate everything prior to the current expansion will be included, so I'm guessing that it's the best F2P option of the three as far as included content goes.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by negacrowbar

Yah OK, whatever.

Man, you REALLLY don't get it do you. People don't like jerks, they avoid them at every opportunity. In fact, a large amount of jerks in a game community is enough to deter a fair amount of players away even if they like the game itself. From what I understand, Alganon is a PVE-centric game with its strongest asset over the competition being lore. Considering that, your potential customer base would be RPers and other social MMO types; these MMoers have ZERO F***ING tolerance for douchebaggery, be it from other players or the friggin guy running their game.

Currently I'm playing EVE, a game with unusually thick-skinned players and where griefing is a glorified past-time. EVE players are used to jerks in TQ, but even they don't take shit from CCP. With the nullsec community raging over lag, when CCP asked for support to vote for EVE as best European Game, a threadnaught was born. Instead of banning posters, deleting posts, flaming them back, you know the stuff you're known for; CCP took the beating they had coming. Now, they have a devblog about the ongoing efforts to fix lag because they realize THE CUSTOMERS PAYS THEIR BILLS.

Now, back to you, you've already scared off the loyal Alganon players like Hakkiem and continue to give both the game, QoL and yourself a bad reputation and stigma that no PR campaign could ever hope to fix. Instead of humbling yourself and trying to make ammends for any poor behavior on your behalf, you continue to dig yourself deeper into this hole. Goodluck, you're going to need it.

Smart MMO CS reps take their beatings and ignore trolls, you actively engage them and lower yourself to their level. You seem to have forgotten (or simply never learned) what most people learn in their first shitty job during their adolescent years, 'The customer is always right'.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I should be hired as diplomat for Alganon and all things in general.

I don't know why other than I am diplomatic :P  Well I try to be diplomatic!

On topic, I tried a bit of the closed beta on Alganon, didn't really get into it.  I saw some bits of promise here and there though, as well as bad things here and there.  I don't think their version of f2p is really that atrocious or off though?  It is as said more of an extended trial.  But really with the way MMOs are evolving we are seeing that model popping up more.  As to Mr.Smart yes he could learn to be more polite and definitely learn to handle customers better.  But like most things in life there are two sides to all stories and any of us who have dealt with customers must admit that right or not, sometimes customers are really hard to deal with, lol.  Not excusing him, btw, just sayin I am sure we are all prone to outbursts, some more than others. 

Apart from SWG I wish all games success and luck.  If anything would serve Alganon best it would be adding more races and some deeper lore, spoken as an outsider looking in.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

I should be hired as diplomat for Alganon and all things in general.

I don't know why other than I am diplomatic :P  Well I try to be diplomatic!

On topic, I tried a bit of the closed beta on Alganon, didn't really get into it.  I saw some bits of promise here and there though, as well as bad things here and there.  I don't think their version of f2p is really that atrocious or off though?  It is as said more of an extended trial.  But really with the way MMOs are evolving we are seeing that model popping up more.  As to Mr.Smart yes he could learn to be more polite and definitely learn to handle customers better.  But like most things in life there are two sides to all stories and any of us who have dealt with customers must admit that right or not, sometimes customers are really hard to deal with, lol.  Not excusing him, btw, just sayin I am sure we are all prone to outbursts, some more than others. 

Apart from SWG I wish all games success and luck.  If anything would serve Alganon best it would be adding more races and some deeper lore, spoken as an outsider looking in.

well its dificult to talk with somone with a narrow view of things and only thing he does over the internet is outburst all his posts, he is almost look like a normal person when someone talk a good thing about his game, and also if you check his past you will notice several lies he told about his main game he is so proud of and peope like him reallybring a bad name for the genre, sometimes I ask myself QoL are really that desperate? i'm sure they could find someone better

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • nynnivanynniva Member UncommonPosts: 235

I wonder how many people on this thread have actually given this game a shot - its far more polished than a lot of the crap out there that dares call itself an MMORPG.

So the F2P model isn't "completely free to do everything that people who pay money can do"

Um...show me a F2P game that IS? I mean, if you could do the same things that someone who spent money could do, then why would anyone spend money? :P

If you want the level cap/ability cap lifted - yes. Granted, to get to the point where that is necessary means you've already spent a good amount of time in Alganon (all for free). All of the other restrictions are pretty irrelevant, which if you'd given the game a try, you'd see. The only thing that's a bit quirky is the 'communication pack' but I can definitely see the reason for it - otherwise we'd just have "Barrens Chat." :shudder:.

However, lets compare this to a lot of other F2p garbage out there, where oh yes, you COULD grind to the lvl cap just like anyone else, that is, if you can stomach the getting smacked around by lvl capped players who've spent hundreds of dollars on I-win buttons. You could get to the level cap while watching people who started after you zoom by you by spending a lot of cash to get shiny shiny shiny weapons and xp items and so on and so forth that you'll never have without doing the same.

99% of "free to play" games are designed around the concept of "what can we get people to buy." Its the classic hamster pellet tactic. Lets add this or that game feature that players will need to shell out cash to circumvent, etc. etc. Alganon is not like this at all. I've been playing for 3 months or so and the ONLY thing I shelled out cash for was the initial client purchase - the tribute shop I haven't had to touch since to have a full, enjoyable game experience.

The only thing that's really changed as far as I can see it is that they're going to let you have that experience FOR FREE now, and in a couple of months if you're still there and you like it then you have the option to upgrade.

Chances are, most of the 'free' games out there that 'let you get to the level cap' you've probably never gotten to the level cap in, because you've probably gotten frustrated by the marketing tactics long before you got that far, with every time you turn around finding out you need to spend $$ to progress. Alganon by comparison is very, very reasonable.

Gaming? That's not gaming!
    That's just people sat 'round in costumes drinking...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by nynniva

However, lets compare this to a lot of other F2p garbage out there, where oh yes, you COULD grind to the lvl cap just like anyone else, that is, if you can stomach the getting smacked around by lvl capped players who've spent hundreds of dollars on I-win buttons.

Why do we have to compare Alganon against just the crappy F2P titles?  It's competing against the good(LOTRO, EQ2, DDO) and bad F2P titles.

Even after you pay the $20, you're still left with far less content than you'll get from the good F2P games that are out or are about to be converted to F2P.

Comparing Alganon to P2W games doesn't make sense, since Alganon currently has no real end game and we don't know what their model will be if they ever get there. Even with a P2W game like RoM, you could max level a dual class character and never need to buy anything if you don't want to PVP or do instances.  To do the same in Alganon you'd need to pay $20 just to max level.

Paying to unlock levels is simply a bad model and QoL deserves the criticism they are getting for implementing it that way.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

Need some clarification. The subscription table the topic creator posted was missing 2 items: Communication Pack and Guild Creation. Is this included for free also? What is the communication pack? How does it work? Can we still join a guild even if not paying? Is Guild creation literaly Guild creation only? What does it mean Quest Limit 10 for free players? We can only perform 10 quests????

I was able to play the Beta for only 1 week before I could not play anymore. At that time the game, for me, was unplayable IF I tried playing it Full Screen. Characters would not show up, would get stuck; the game would act as if I had been hit by massive lag attack.

I didn't want to play any other way besides Full Screen (I can't focus on a game, ebook, movie, etc without full screen) so I quit. Another fact was that I was in the middle of my semester, had a tough probability math class, and was focusing more on college than games. Got great grades if you ask.

The impression I got from the game (not the dream game written on the website) was at first similar to every other game. I started and quickly got to work on some quests to help my village or town with some, in my opinion, very cliche and overused quest storylines.

There is a pest problem...

Village X needs this Y item...

Present yourself to Chief X...

This sucks. I have seen them on many MMO's, both great and not great, both free and not free. I know even on real life quests would be the same BUT the way they are used is always the same.

For ME, the graphics were the same as WoW and I only played for 2 days on a private server before I got bored to my bones of it, I repeat the same (I guess you can include War but I only say it because of pictures, ROM and Allods).

Combat, same as above.

Right now I can't play the game to see what changed so I won't comment on the New state of the game but I can comment on the subscription model.

DDO: You have to buy a Leveling Sigil if you want to level beyond a cap(can't really remember level cap without it). It can be acquired another way but it has to be bought or you are stuck.

Alganon: You have a solid cap with no chance of passing it without buying the cap breaker.

Once my pc is fixed I will try the game and try to post the most fair review of it as I experience it. I will ignore how Mr. Smart may be computer smart but completely incompetent as PR and some might say a moron. I will try the game and say what it is and what it is not. I wished we had a thumbs down or karma system here to thumb down Smart everytime he comes here. He really isn't a nice person, to much ego in a small container.

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

"If you don't like the game, don't play it, don't post about it. What's so hard about that?"

So let me get this straight. You do not want us to talk about Alganon on a Alganon forum that you can not swing the ban or delete hammer to?.... OK, whatever!

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by Elmarolly

"If you don't like the game, don't play it, don't post about it. What's so hard about that?"

So let me get this straight. You do not want us to talk about Alganon on a Alganon forum that you can not swing the ban or delete hammer to?.... OK, whatever!

I actually don't mind Mr. Smarts comment, I think it's wise. If anyone has never played a game, then they really shouldn't have any right to comment on it... Now, do I belive that they have to have played the game recently to weigh in on the subject matter? Nope, I think discussing past experiences if perfectly fine.

Originally posted by nynniva

So the F2P model isn't "completely free to do everything that people who pay money can do"

Um...show me a F2P game that IS? I mean, if you could do the same things that someone who spent money could do, then why would anyone spend money? :P

Runes of Magic. A f2p player ca achieve all things a p2p can. It's a true f2p game and they are not limiting content, level and so on. Instead they are making their money from Cash Shop. Me and many more other players were able to reach endgame and even be top players on our servers being totally ftp. And that's because you can use ingame currency to obtain Cash Shop items.

Why would anyone spend money? Because being a totally f2p and reaching endgame requires time, work, skills and a good playing strategy. Many people find that hard or don't want to wait very much so they are buying gear from other players - thus buying a lot of diamonds and making Frogster rich and enabling us, f2p players, to make cash to buy Cash Shop items.

Oh, and just wait until Forsaken World Beta to see a f2p game worthing to play. It already features amazing graphics, good game mechanics and a nice lore. And will be f2p, not free trial.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by Flex1

DDO: You have to buy a Leveling Sigil if you want to level beyond a cap(can't really remember level cap without it). It can be acquired another way but it has to be bought or you are stuck.

Leveling Sigils were taken out of DDO a long time ago. The level cap is 20 for everyone F2P and P2P. Even when they had a leveling sigil, it would usually drop in a dungeon way before you ever needed it.

DDO works because whatever content you buy, stays unlocked for all your characters and you dont even need to buy any to play and advance. Plus, through favor points that you earn, you can unlock races and character builds. So, it is never P2W like eastern games.