Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Big FFXIV will be?

13»

Comments

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

True who knows what could happen.

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

I think you guys have some great points but are missing a lil something here. While I do not know exactly what the business model is for RIFT I do know that GW2 is b2p which means no subs. GW2 will have many more people playing it than FFXI but its like a f2p so It doesnt steal many subs at all. More or less its kind of its own entity that dents the market but doesnt eat it all up (like say a WoW). True FFXI is fantasy but its even more niche than that furthermore they are going to console which gives them access to a very untapped client base. The bigger issue is that I think alot of people miss is that they already have the customer base. And what are they playing? FFXI. I am not saying every1 will switch over but what I am saying is it may be a lil more complicated than trying to take subs away from wow and aion. Honestly no1 really need ot fear Tera and GW2 because one is f2p and the other is b2p. Unless some1 is actually trying to take subs your in the clear. Instead of why the game will have few players think of reason why it may have many.

There are a few

1). like I said before they have a client base already waiting

2). Many of the recent fantasy releases (in the west) like Aion, WAR, etc, have been disappointing 

3). Its from a confirmed successful franchise and no I dont only mean MMO's please dont forget SE actually know how to make games.

4). Nobuo Uematsu returns which is an FF fans wet dream for alot of us who love good music.

5). they get the PS3 market all to themselves (waiting for news if microsoft wil give in on the subscription fees).

The market is bigger now and I am not going to point the finger at WoW for ruining it the fact is WoW brought more people into our lil corner of the universe. The fact is though alot of people that play that type of game simply just don't understand that (I am sorry I have to cap this and use funny colors) THE EAST AND WEST MMO MARKETS ARE NOT THE SAME STOP TRYING TO JUDGE THEM THE SAME WAY.  The fact is players in the east have a different cultural expectation of what an mmo should be like than players in the west. It is not the same not by a long shot. I believe the guys at SE are actually figuring that out. So they made some compromises in some areas to make it more west friendly but the fact is we weren't the first ones in mind when making this game (in fact that goes for half the mmo titles we see).

Sorry for the long comment but what I am trying to get across is not that the game will be a success guaranteed but that the standard some of you guys may be using to quess may be off by a good bit.

• joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by ProfRed

FFXIV for many people is a temporary game.  Everyone I know who plans to try out FFXIV plans to leave it no matter how good it is for either Tera, Telara, GW2 or SWTOR.

I'm not looking for a game, i'm looking for a home for the next some odd years, and i don't like to jump around between them.

I am surprised you think any of the games listed will entertain you for some odd years.  All of these games that have been released are epicly shallow and boring and probably hold the average person for 2-3 months.  Aside from WoW, FFXI was the only game I know of that actually held players for years on end.   I would say hands down FFXIV has the best chance to pull that off from any of the listed.
    You have a no sub semi MMORPG, a korean grind fest, a single player story driven mmorpg, and another WoW clone...  Maybe it's just me but there isn't anything besides FFXIV that even interests me on the MMO front besides something like World of Darkness from CCP or Blizzards next MMO.

You may be absolutely correct and only time will tell.

I'll take Tera out of the equation because i honestly have no interest what's so ever. Rift and GW2 are going the persistent world route which should be interesting. They also both have and are built for PVP, which is an important side aspect for me. How meaningful and to what extent is too early to tell, but it's there. I also love the team behind Rift building their game and main forums around the community first.

TOR scares me as much or if not more than anything else. I honestly don't know what to expect but i'm a SW dork, since i'm old, so i'll see when i see i guess. If it turns out to be a single player game then i will not hesitate to walk away.

I'll play what ever i consider the best game that suits my needs and the one that keeps me hooked the longest, regardless of the "brand name" on the cover.

^^^This. Spoken like a true prodigy and couldn't agree more.

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

Originally posted by Hyanmen

The amount of content and how fast the game is updated is ultimately going to decide whether we will play these games for 2 weeks or 2 years.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

END OF LINE_

~V

• nordamaxnordamax Member Posts: 92

Well, only few weeks left to discovery the truth. We will see. I hope this time it gives something different to keep me play.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Voltlives

The amount of content and how fast the game is updated is ultimately going to decide whether we will play these games for 2 weeks or 2 years.

END OF LINE_

~V

As I understand it SE are planning to patch in new content into XIV every three months. This is on top of a huge game at launch.
  • VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

Originally posted by Illyssia

Originally posted by Voltlives

END OF LINE_

~V

As I understand it SE are planning to patch in new content into XIV every three months. This is on top of a huge game at launch.

That would be so fantastic, I don't wanna hold my breath though.  Gonna have to do some digging and see what I can find on that.  Already committing to this game, that would be the icing on the cake!

END OF LINE_

~V

• nordamaxnordamax Member Posts: 92

Ok. I decide to Pre-order it today.  Never be a fan of FF. However, it does impressived me this time.