Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next teased

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Saerain

I wonder if I'll ever be able to forgive WoW for turning this into the art direction of the decade.

Nice composition, though.

WoW to blame?

lol DAoC had crappy graphics as well.

I guess that doesnt count.

no I understand and agree with what he saying. Pretty much the entire world of EQ2 execpt for areas that were created the same time WoW was released (they released almost exactly the same time as I recall) uses the same loud cartoonish colors that WoW does. its clear they made that predictiable art direction change after wow became so successful

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Neloth

SOE have to pull something drastic to make EQ3 even remotely attractive, looking at what we have in store:

• SWTOR

• GW2

• Rift

• FF14

Not to mention the even less known but promising:

• Blizzard's secret project

• Bethesda's secret projekt

• Project Copericus

• Fallout Online

• Warhammer 40K

That's some serious competition, and many of those promise to change much of the old ways of grinding, bringing back the fun etc. If SOE do the same old, then they will fail pretty hard.

Out of all that, only SW:ToR, GW2, FF14, and maybe Blizzard's secret project represent any kind of "serious" competition. I'm not saying games like Rift, 40K, Fallout Online, and those company projects won't be a success, but I think you understate the popularity of the Everquest franchise.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

I would love to see a spiritual EQ1 succesor with some VG in the mix.

I expect to see WoW in Norrath.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

I'm looking forward to hearing a little bit more about it. Naturally speculation and knee jerk reactions will ensue.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339

It better have fippy darkpaw charging something to his death

We should all keep in mind that the game industry is going to a wide demographic and currently Guitar Hero is a major hit.

red, red, blue, blue, red, red....dance!

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

We should all keep in mind that the game industry is going to a wide demographic and currently Guitar Hero is a major hit.

Bards should be happy

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

Everybody dance!

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

I watched that video and it is just horrible. It's doesn't look anything like EverQuest , it could be better called WoW 2.0

Too colourful, childish looking. Unrealistic. Too many unneeded details. I know, mostly kids play games and that's the public $OE want to attract. But they shouldn't even call it EverQuest Something.

I'm 100% sure it will not appeal to serious former EQ1 players. Only those that think WoW graphics are good can can actually like EQ Next.

$OE is so lame. Why try following world of warcraft so hard..? Don't they think EverQuest is known for what it was, not for being similar to WoW..? 

Hey, let's try to make everything as close to WoW as possible and we'll be succesful. Yeah, right.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Sounds like we're all going to hell.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Luxumaru
    So THATS why EQ II is going free2play, I knew SOE had to have some other money maker in progress to do such a thing. I bet they only did it so people could come in, like EQ II, then ditch it to buy this "new" game when it comes out.

Keep in mind, Everquest Next was talked about well over a year ago and teased in the EverCrack Videos, so EQN wasn't a surprise to fans. SOE going with EQII as a F2P is just another marketing plan. I'm sure the F2p will attract a fresher group of players who could potentially be lured to EQN. Its a little to soon to tell.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

Originally posted by Papadam
    I dont understand why people care about the EQ franchise, its just extremly generic fantasy. Why not creat something new with a more unique lore/world.

In essence that's what Vanguard was supposed to be.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

not much to go on still

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by Cecropia

to borrow a post on ForumFall...double rainbow game...dance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0D4oZwCsA&feature=channel

hysterical

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by EverSkelly

I watched that video and it is just horrible. It's doesn't look anything like EverQuest , it could be better called WoW 2.0

Too colourful, childish looking. Unrealistic. Too many unneeded details. I know, mostly kids play games and that's the public $OE want to attract. But they shouldn't even call it EverQuest Something.

I'm 100% sure it will not appeal to serious former EQ1 players. Only those that think WoW graphics are good can can actually like EQ Next.

$OE is so lame. Why try following world of warcraft so hard..? Don't they think EverQuest is known for what it was, not for being similar to WoW..? 

Hey, let's try to make everything as close to WoW as possible and we'll be succesful. Yeah, right.

Oh Christ. And here I though SWTOR was WOW but with light sabres. Let me help you out, maybe you can dub it Everwow, hows that? Now you can troll without having to think about what to call it.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I wonder if I'll ever be able to forgive WoW for turning this into the art direction of the decade.

WoW to blame?

no I understand and agree with what he saying. Pretty much the entire world of EQ2 execpt for areas that were created the same time WoW was released (they released almost exactly the same time as I recall) uses the same loud cartoonish colors that WoW does. its clear they made that predictiable art direction change after wow became so successful

Indeed.

And I don't dislike it, exactly, but I do dislike that it seems to be all there is, anymore. I miss when we were still reaching for visually realistic fantasy art styles.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Yaaaaaay...another MMO franchise mined out for a sequel. This sounds to me like SOE saying, 'we're too chicken shit to actually try to come out with a new IP so here is another EQ".

Originally posted by Rydeson
         I'm surprised that SOE is going to do another EQ game..  I currently play EQ1 and 2,, but enough is enough IMO.. There does come a time of overkill.. I'd would rather they just make the needed changes in the two current versions.. But then maybe it would be just easier to take EQ1 and remake it..  My gut feeling tells me that EQ Next = EQ1 + WoW  ..

My initial concern is that it not be some sort of prequel. I'm somewhat basing this on the image styles shown. I'd be a lot happier knowing it was a continuation of the narrative.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com

Could care less if it looks like WoW, impress me with the gameplay. There was only one thing I cared about visually with EQ1 and that was the night time that was actually dark for once.

WoW to blame?

Indeed.

And I don't dislike it, exactly, but I do dislike that it seems to be all there is, anymore. I miss when we were still reaching for visually realistic fantasy art styles.

agreed not at all what I had predicted a decade ago. I assumed realism would be pushed as well as more creative ideas for game play. I didnt think about the desire of the gaming industry to reach out to more players  which are always younger as I get older.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

WoW to blame?

Indeed.

Which is odd considering we're finally reaching the point where people have hardware capable of rendering psuedo-realistic scenes...

I'd like to see some photo-realistic fantasy. Make it look "real" but still keep the "magic" and all that.

/le sigh

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by Neloth
    SOE have to pull something drastic to make EQ3 even remotely attractive, looking at what we have in store:
    SWTOR GW2 Rift FF14 Not to mention the even less known but promising: Blizzard's secret project Bethesda's secret projekt Project Copericus Fallout Online Warhammer 40K   That's some serious competition, and many of those promise to change much of the old ways of grinding, bringing back the fun etc. If SOE do the same old, then they will fail pretty hard.

We can only hope that designers have learned from the past and learned from what current gamers are experiencing.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Cecropia

to borrow a post on ForumFall...double rainbow game...dance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0D4oZwCsA&feature=channel

hysterical

LMAO in a kill me now sort of way :)

Thanks for that.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• KazlinKazlin Member UncommonPosts: 124

To all the ppl thinking this is a WoW spinoff or a game like WoW EQ is known for what it is and it has been stated this is not a game made for kids they have a game like that that has 7 millon subs and thats freerealms.

This game is not a prequel sequel or anything like that its simply a reformat of the original story and the long history of lore just being retold a diffrent way.

EQ2 is not going F2P the F2P model is a serious downgrade to a subscription. EQ2 was rushed and announced way to early for them they released it when EQ1 was at its stride they know what they did and are correcting there mistakes. EQ2 was a good game for what it was but it should have never been called EQ  the classes were to complicated and way to many for what they wanted.

EQN is going back to the roots of EQ they stated it over and over already and alot of the old old 1995,96 and 97 ppl are working on the game they had a pannel to ask there customers what they wanted to see in the game and etc.

I am really looking forward to this game  i dont see GW2 FFXIV fallout or 40K a threat at all the only thing i am hopeing for is not a easy mmo but i want it to be like the old days in EQ where it took sometimes a month to get off of 1 level to actually slowly progress through all the game and not be a fast auto piolet to level cap that WoW forced on the market i actually like a slow leveling process where it took a year or close to one to hit cap or evan longer i hate fast autopiolet to end game.

Knowing SoE is makeing this with there heart and soul i belive they will pull off a great game once again .

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by BuzWeaver

Originally posted by Rydeson

I'm surprised that SOE is going to do another EQ game..  I currently play EQ1 and 2,, but enough is enough IMO.. There does come a time of overkill.. I'd would rather they just make the needed changes in the two current versions.. But then maybe it would be just easier to take EQ1 and remake it..  My gut feeling tells me that EQ Next = EQ1 + WoW  ..

My initial concern is that it not be some sort of prequel. I'm somewhat basing this on the image styles shown. I'd be a lot happier knowing it was a continuation of the narrative.

I didn't catch his name, but one person on the panel explained:

'Just to give you guys a bit of a overview of the direction that we are taking with "EverQuest Next": it is not taking place before or after EverQuest 1 or 2. Instead, it's a reimagining of the EverQuest universe. Think of it as being like the recent Star Trek movie: it took place in the past and changed everything, but the familiar faces, their manners and traits were all still there, just given a fresh slate to tell a new story. We're doing the same thing.'

This is about three minutes into panel 2 part 2.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon