Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next teased

Comments

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Make it completely different from EQ2 and I'm sold.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Originally posted by RexNebular

OK, this is blatant jumping to unfounded conclusions, but here goes... those two screenshots make me think "Ever-Free RealmsQuest".

Bingo. I bet it's gonna be free and casual-friendly.

Well, I would love to be proved wrong, its just the first thought that jumped into my head as I saw those screenshots.  Hopefully when we do get any real info on the game, it will be to our pleasant surprise :)

Smedley: eqnext built from the ground up to be scaleable. Will run on a laptop or powerful pc. We want it to take full advantage of current hardware.

Also, This game is NOT being made for kids. It’s not like free realms! People have seen the screen shots from yesterday and think this is free realms graphics. It’s not.

http://eq2wire.com/2010/08/07/live-blog-eqnext-panel2/

yeah i didnt link im bad like that.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339

"We want to take full advantage of current hardware"

As long as it runs good on all the crappy computers out there they won't automatically shoot themselves in the foot with a statement like that.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by Papadam

I dont understand why people care about the EQ franchise, its just extremly generic fantasy. Why not creat something new with a more unique lore/world.

I, personally, long for a good "generic fantasy" game. We've reached the point where everyone tries to put a twist on it or do something different. One of EQ1/EQ2's big draws for me is and has always been the "generic fantasy" setting. Also, I think that Norrath is fairly unique and in depth. If you follow the quests and stories, there's a lot going on.

I liked Warcraft's lore before WoW. I think Age of Conan being developed by a European company completely destroyed anything CONAN about the game. LORTO just raises more questions than anything. IPGAME this failed to do OBVIOUSTHINGALLFANSOFIPKNOWS. I think that was always EQs strong point. It paid obvious homage to D&D and MtG and the games that came before it (even in the game manual). Plus they made their own lore interesting.

A reboot of their established lore wouldn't be a bad thing at all in my opinion.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by Papadam

I dont understand why people care about the EQ franchise, its just extremly generic fantasy. Why not creat something new with a more unique lore/world.

I, personally, long for a good "generic fantasy" game. We've reached the point where everyone tries to put a twist on it or do something different. One of EQ1/EQ2's big draws for me is and has always been the "generic fantasy" setting. Also, I think that Norrath is fairly unique and in depth. If you follow the quests and stories, there's a lot going on.

I agree with skeaser here, I like the stereotypical fantasy setting and was excited for EQ II. I never played EQ I but EQ II has some great lore going for it, and I like the gameplay alot as well.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Saerain

I wonder if I'll ever be able to forgive WoW for turning this into the art direction of the decade.

Nice composition, though.

WoW to blame?

lol DAoC had crappy graphics as well.

I guess that doesnt count.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by RexNebular

OK, this is blatant jumping to unfounded conclusions, but here goes... those two screenshots make me think "Ever-Free RealmsQuest".

Bingo. I bet it's gonna be free and casual-friendly.

Its going to be hardcore and full PvP

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by MMOExposed

WoW to blame?

lol DAoC had crappy graphics as well.

I guess that doesnt count.

Nobody cares about DAoC. Only one game made it mainstream, and that game was not DAoC.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • VasburgVasburg Member Posts: 65

The screenshots look good.... for an iPhone game. Which I hope it is.

Otherwise it would look like cartoonish WoW crap.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

seems at this stage they are toying with the idea and using their EQ2 graphics artists and seeing what they can do with them.

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

I don't believe artstyle will ever really bother me... Or, I don't think it can or should keep me from playing a game that has good game play. It would be a shame if one of the greatest games of our time was, for instance, a 2-dimensional "old school" looking game, if you will, and a good amount of people neglected to even try because of the visuals.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by twstdstrange

I don't believe artstyle will ever really bother me... Or, I don't think it can or should keep me from playing a game that has good game play. It would be a shame if one of the greatest games of our time was, for instance, a 2-dimensional "old school" looking game, if you will, and a good amount of people neglected to even try because of the visuals.

thats the problem of today, most retards do not look further then visuals.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I'm surprised that SOE is going to do another EQ game..  I currently play EQ1 and 2,, but enough is enough IMO.. There does come a time of overkill.. I'd would rather they just make the needed changes in the two current versions.. But then maybe it would be just easier to take EQ1 and remake it..  My gut feeling tells me that EQ Next = EQ1 + WoW  ..

Originally posted by Rydeson

I'm surprised that SOE is going to do another EQ game..  I currently play EQ1 and 2,, but enough is enough IMO.. There does come a time of overkill.. I'd would rather they just make the needed changes in the two current versions.. But then maybe it would be just easier to take EQ1 and remake it..  My gut feeling tells me that EQ Next = EQ1 + WoW  ..

Unfortunately, I belive the reason is $$$.

Even if some development head is crafting this game because they like the EQ IP, some publishers office somewhere only gave it the greenlight because of its subscriber base, meaning cash.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by Milky
    Edit: More info/videos of the panel at SOE fan faire. 
    http://www.massively.com/2010/08/07/fan-faire-2010-john-smedley-and-the-soe-crew-talk-everquest-nex/
    Everquest Next was teased at SOE fan faire.  Here is what is claimed to be an in game look.  I have been waiting for more details about the game and more information is expected to come out today and over the weekend.  Truthfully I am very skeptical of the game given SOE's recent history in how they are treating their games and players.  They really haven't done it 'right' since the original EQ.  There is a chance of this game taking a page from the past and recapturing the magic, but knowing SOE's recent past, they likely will not have learned anything from previous lessons.  At this point I'm either going to be very surprised or extremely dissapointed.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks Milky! Ever since I first heard about EQN I've been trying to find as much information as I could, realizing that there probably wouldn't be any 'substantive' information till this years Fan Faire. As a member/subscriber of Ten Ton Hammer, I was able to present a question for the TTH team to submit and of course I asked about EQN.

I do appreciate you posting this!

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by twstdstrange

Originally posted by Rydeson

Unfortunately, I belive the reason is $$$.

Even if some development head is crafting this game because they like the EQ IP, some publishers office somewhere only gave it the greenlight because of its subscriber base, meaning cash.

It's still really too early to write much about EQ Next except that SOE are actually actively developing it. I think 2011, and assuming SOE aren't hit in the budget pocket, we may well see a demo and maybe a road map to game release. Downside is that the timing seems to square with Blizzards road map for their next generation mmo. Whatever, both are a long way behind SWTOR and XIV releases, and folks I am doubting the indie mmos on the horizon will make an impact.
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

It is hard to get excited looking at the direction of soe games the last few years.  For a company that calls itself an industry leader they don't seem to be doing anything other than emulating other games. 

The people who created the best years of soe have long since departed and things just seem so out of touch with people want. 

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I think it looks good, graphically. It's real enough to be believable, while bright enough to be fantasy. I'm just hoping the animations and sound effects match up, as I think a big part of the appeal of EQ1 over EQ2 for me was the sound effects. The graphics in EQ2 I thought were ugly, while the sounds made the game feel very 'soft', if that makes sense. EQ1 has nice crunching sounds and squeals when you get hurt, EQ2 was like hitting wool.

I'm holding out hope for EQN. If they can keep away from the whole 'quest chain' plan and actually go back to the roots of what made EverQuest great, then I think it could be a major success.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I still dont understand the hype this is getting.

people complained about EQ2 from EQ.

explain to me how these same people wont complain about a EQ3 from EQ2?

plus this is a new market time. Unless the gameplay pulls off something big, this game will fail.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Who at SOE is still around that made the important decisions pre-POP?

Who at SOE is still around that made the important decisions post-POP and currently?

Exactly why EQ Next doesn't appeal to me.

EverQuest has never really rustled my jimmies (Ha.).

The only time I've ever been intrigued by EQ was when I watched the Icons episode explaining how it came to be. That was rather fascinating.

I finally decided last year to try this whole EQ thing out.

I've never uninstalled a game so fast in my life.

Of course, I am a spoiled WoW brat, so that didn't help.

Regardless, I still haven't been able to find that episode of Icons. The hunt continues!

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I still dont understand the hype this is getting.

people complained about EQ2 from EQ.

explain to me how these same people wont complain about a EQ3 from EQ2?

plus this is a new market time. Unless the gameplay pulls off something big, this game will fail.

personally dont see much hype at all, atleast not an amount SOE would hope for.   dont know about EQ1 community but really no one talks about it on various EQ2 boards...

oh and most I play with came from EQ1 and while they do talk about "the good old days" only 1 of them actually went back for awhile - rest saying they would never dream of going back....other wise agreed with you, find it weird they want a 2nd sequal...2 games based on the same area´s should be enough, Freeport, sinking sands, gnolls...erh have to make some greatly enhanced gameplay to justify this, and knowing the way they pushed EQ2 doubt it will be anything but solo quests to max lvl with endgame instance grinding, instead of a real timeline.

bet I ll be excited when its close to release  ;(

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I like the screenshot, but graphics can only go so far. I'll play a game with great game play even if the graphics aren't what I personally like, but a game with only mediocre game play, the graphics can tip the balance one way or the other.

Really depends on game play, and payment model. No matter the game play, I'm not interested in a cash shop.

If there's no cash shop, or at least a subscription server, even if other servers have cash shops, then it's all about the game play, and of course we know nothing about that so far.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

SOE have to pull something drastic to make EQ3 even remotely attractive, looking at what we have in store:

• SWTOR

• GW2

• Rift

• FF14

Not to mention the even less known but promising:

• Blizzard's secret project

• Bethesda's secret projekt

• Project Copericus

• Fallout Online

• Warhammer 40K

That's some serious competition, and many of those promise to change much of the old ways of grinding, bringing back the fun etc. If SOE do the same old, then they will fail pretty hard.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

If that second shot of Freeport is real then I am impressed.. Just looking at it I can tell that a lot more thought and care went into the design than anything in EQ2 EVER.