Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are PC & MMO players ruder then Console gamers?

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I really don't understand this, why is it that the social aspect is absent when playing a PC game online while console players are not so rude like PC gamers, bear in mind I dislike the shooter games since I get instant killed all the time. The difference is more people talk to you on a console game and they use a microphone yet PC gamers are mostly limited to keyboard chat as there isn't much microphone support, even WoW is guility of this and you can only microphone chat with people with a guild who use teamspeak or Vento but not every guild uses it which sucks and finding a guild is very problematic enough, & don't bother playing any of the Left 4 Dead games, you will be kicked out by those who abuse the the kicking system.

I've had numerous times when I wanted to chat with people in a guild and they just ignore you, just why? Problem is I've not played console games for a long time and since I'm not into shooters anymore like Gears 2 then it really means I'm better off with single player games. =p

Comments

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Dead thread. image

• chaoster89chaoster89 Member Posts: 56

this is the first time i have ever heard somebody saying that pc gamers are more rude than console gamers everytime i log on to xbox live to play some MW2 or halo 3 the only thing i hear is a bunch of 12 years old saying some of the worst insults you could ever imagine when you kill them.

Originally posted by chaoster89

this is the first time i have ever heard somebody saying that pc gamers are more rude than console gamers everytime i log on to xbox live to play some MW2 or halo 3 the only thing i hear is a bunch of 12 years old saying some of the worst insults you could ever imagine when you kill them.

Really, I've not played my Xbox 360 for a long time and when I did, I usually have my headset not connected due to the random screamy people so I guess I was wrong after all. =o

• lvluplvlup Member UncommonPosts: 33

1. What console games other than FPS do you talk too ppl in?

2. how many console MMORPG's are there? By the look of you signature, none...

3. PC gamers are rude, but don't talk....?

4. PC gamers are 12 yr old kids on Xbox live that tlk about random shit like where you live or what trophies you've collected. So therefore unless there is something going on that needs quick commentary ie. group PvP. We don't necessarily need to talk.

5. Who talks anymore? A lot of ppl just text each other now a days. PC gamers are ahead of the times.

• RuethusRuethus Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

I really don't understand this, why is it that the social aspect is absent when playing a PC game online while console players are not so rude like PC gamers, bear in mind I dislike the shooter games since I get instant killed all the time. The difference is more people talk to you on a console game and they use a microphone yet PC gamers are mostly limited to keyboard chat as there isn't much microphone support, even WoW is guility of this and you can only microphone chat with people with a guild who use teamspeak or Vento but not every guild uses it which sucks and finding a guild is very problematic enough, & don't bother playing any of the Left 4 Dead games, you will be kicked out by those who abuse the the kicking system.

I've had numerous times when I wanted to chat with people in a guild and they just ignore you, just why? Problem is I've not played console games for a long time and since I'm not into shooters anymore like Gears 2 then it really means I'm better off with single player games. =p

I personally have not noticed this.  Seems to me that both are just as bad as each other.  You do have to keep in mind, I've done it and had it happen to me, when you type something to someone in game, there's always the chance they'll miss it.  Hence, they're not purposely ignoring you, they just didn't see that you sent them a message.  Either way though, I've listened to many people make asses of themselves, whether it's on a console or over vent...

Originally posted by lvlup

1. What console games other than FPS do you talk too ppl in?

2. how many console MMORPG's are there? By the look of you signature, none...

3. PC gamers are rude, but don't talk....?

4. PC gamers are 12 yr old kids on Xbox live that tlk about random shit like where you live or what trophies you've collected. So therefore unless there is something going on that needs quick commentary ie. group PvP. We don't necessarily need to talk.

5. Who talks anymore? A lot of ppl just text each other now a days. PC gamers are ahead of the times.

I'm not a fast typer though, I can talk faster then typing with a keyboard so how are PC gamers ahead of themselves?

• lvluplvlup Member UncommonPosts: 33

Has nothing to do with how fast you type. I personally don't answer (just so we're clarifing) "RL" phone calls unless it's a text. I've noticed alot of poeple my age are the same way.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Well, the OP lacks much support in her observations as to the concept of rude and systems. No stats to support the claim, "why is it that the social aspect is absent when playing a PC game online while console players are not so rude like PC gamers".  Perhaps she plays on servers that are...less friendly. Nevertheless, she has obviously not hooked-up with a good WoW guild and is being ignored in her present clan, that might be a hint.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

I'm an old fart... and between sitting at my comp for 8 hours straight, grinding mobs, and going to the microwave to make hot pockets I do not have any more energy to exhaust on "speaking".

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Originally posted by BruceYee

I'm an old fart... and between sitting at my comp for 8 hours straight, grinding mobs, and going to the microwave to make hot pockets I do not have any more energy to exhaust on "speaking".

A fellow retiry?

• KaoRyxKaoRyx Member Posts: 68
    I've found that XBox live users demonstrate the most rude online community of all. Far more so than PC gamers. However, this is usually just cursing and name calling, the most rude people in PC games are generally just trolls, looking to incite and do little else.
    There are bad eggs in any community, but the only way I could see PC gamers being considered "more rude" is if you consider Kill Stealing to be the most egregious offense ever. That happens a lot, I suppose, but it's a dog eat dog world out there.
    In the end, I think any online community has the potential for rude behavior. Once again, it all ties back to the "John Gabriel Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory".

Also, agreed with lvlup. As soon as I turned 20 I just stopped answering my phone. If you wanna talk to me, txt me. I only want to speak to you if I can see you.

Someday we'll all look back on the age of computers - and lol.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaa! Hahahahahahaaa!

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

In my experience, rudeness and trolls can be found on all platforms, but it was slightly worse on xbox live when I played Call of Duty on both platforms.  A lot of times, the ratio differs not so much on platform as it does on the specific game itself.  Some games just lend themselves to maturer players.  Lastly, even in a mmorpg with rampant rude and immature players like WoW, I was always able to find myself a great guild where chatting and vent was a pleasurable experience.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

Because they have keyboards? Easier to type rude stuff than say it to their face/mic :D

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

PC gamers don't use Integrated Talk Functions in their own First Person Shooters because they know it goes through the Server itself and it raises everyones ping...making their response time slower. Most Shooter Gamers go through TeamSpeak and Ventrillo and they use that to talk to members of their own team directly. Console Gamers are younger and most dont even meet the ESRB requirements to even play shooters today.

I mean.....You don't go to a sporting event and expect every member of both teams to engage in a nice social hour with all the spectators...and forget about playing do you? You don't go to a fashion show and expect every designer, model and judge to speak with everyone for a few hours. You don't go to a restaraunt and expect the cook and the staff to cater you and have a nice 2 hour chat. Do you walk out in public and expect every stranger to notice you and talk to you as well? If you do, then you are the one with the problem.

But yeah, you can post about how people in online games are mean because they don't talk to you and actually want to play the game. The thing about PC games is that PCs do many things. If you want to talk to people you can join many of the sites and forums that are based around being a socialite. Living in an age where every game out there has its own forumboard and community means you can find a place to reach that community.

Join a forum, then join a team or guild and get their teamspeak/Ventrillo IP and then enter the game you play and start chatting with people of your own team. Thats how it works.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

You must have never used Xbox Live. Ever. It is full of the worst, most despicable, rudest, least civilized people I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with. Call my "Old School" if you must, but if I beat you in a video game, I do not need to hear what you have/will do to my mother in the most excruciating detail you can muster. I also do not need all of the racist comments or profane language, which sadly, seem to make up two thirds of the average Xbox gamer's vocabulary. This is not helped by the fact that if I am not being cussed at or having my mother disgraced, I am being yelled about by children far too young to be playing the game, and definitely way too young to be given a microphone. I want to know what parents decided "Yes, let me give my unsupervised 12 year old a copy of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, a subscription to play online with other people, none of whom know what 'etiquette' is and then give him a microphone to tell them where he lives and practice the atrocious phrases he learns".

I know children play on the PC, I know they have a keyboard in the place of a microphone. The difference, is that they are just not nearly as rude. Personally, I attribute this to the fact that a good gaming PC cost much more than a console and requires more upkeep and knowledge to use. It is simply not as attractive to a younger buyer (14-25) since it is more difficult. Followed by the fact MMORPGs cost 15 dollars a month as opposed to Xbox Live's 8 dollars a month. I am just very happy I don't have to deal with such rude people in most PC gaming communities. The PS3 gaming community is far, far, far better than the Xbox community too. The PC one wins though. They are the most helpful bunch and the nicest. Sure you have Trade Chat in World of Warcraft, but you also have the games that are just packed with awesome players like LOTRO and Fallen Earth.

So then, why are PC and MMO players ruder than console gamers? Well.... they're not. You just need to spend more time on consoles. You obviously have never played one. Ever. In your life. Go play one match of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and tell that to me again ;)

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Are you joking?!? Xboxlive is just as bad, if not worse.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

I have never before heard anyone assert that PC gamers are ruder than console gamers, and I think the assertion is blatantly false.

I think console gamers are ruder than PC gamers because they are usually younger and relish more the new concept of being able to say and do what they want with a veil of anonymity to protect them.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

There isn't any difference with the players themselves. Gamers are gamers, and usually play some console games on top of their MMOs. The only difference I see is MMOs have an easier interface to type messages so the rude have an easier method of communicating. There also tends to be a lot more to do in console games versus MMOs where you have a ton of tasks that are monotonous and repetitive so people alleviate their boredom by chatting. Rude people are everywhere though, in equal supply.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Hehe.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Hehe.

LOL! i love yahtzee

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Hehe.

LOL

• slessmanslessman Member Posts: 181

I am afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. I think that the console gamers on live are a lot ruder than the MMO players I have encountered. I hate being called names when I play games. I understand this is common in games like WOW, but I play Ryzom and the community is actually really nice and helpful. No one uses profane language toward other players so far as I have experienced and I don't think that it is fair to consider us more rude than the rest of the world. I think that's rude.

www.ryzom.com

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

I think honestly , you beter ask why the internet is detiorating .

ITs not about console gamers being nicer , or pc and mmo players being ruder .

Its more why in general people act more like a ASS online , then they would even dare in RL .

Sorry look at half the replies , and you understand the mentality .

The net in general is changing , Infact Real Life looks much beter , since they moved all the wierdo and nutcases to the net .

Infact they want to keep the wierdos and nut casses on the net .

The more  of those you have the less credible information becomes , so you heard it on the net is associated with , you heard it from a madhouse . or local teen age place .

And offcourse everybody has a opnion , that isn´t even a  opnion they themself formed .

But infact is a opnion that is COOL ,  pica pica is also cool ... next one says it sucks , the other says its cool.

;)

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

My personal experience is quite the opposite and i play both FPS and MMO games on PC and FPS games on Console.

Aside from WoW, i have never had a bad experience with other players in MMO's, give trial of WoW a go and you'll see what i mean if you ask a simple question in open chat, a few helpful people (not steriotyping the whole WoW playerbase cause everything has good and bad apples) but you'll know abuse like never before by doing this.

LotRo, similar sort of thing depending on server, Gilrain and a couple of others were good.

SWG. i still play this to this day and have NEVER had a bad experience, a couple of players do true roleplay (imperial players that hate on rebels etc) but after a good PvP session of this you can sit down and chat with them like long time friends.

Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty 4, CoD:MW2, Battlefield 2 : PC gamers do tend to get carried away but the majority of players you'll find are in a mature gaming clan/guild and unless their complete idiots they rarely give abuse.

MW2 i played for 4 hours one day on my step-brothers console, majority of that time was spent turning volume down while i listened to all the children complain about things and spit abuse out, this happens on the PC version sometimes as well but what you don't get on the PC version is the so called mature players spurting even more abuse back at the kids.

As another poster has already said it's a mix of both worlds and each person has different experiences. just a case of sticking things out with what you like doing and ignoring all the petty children (mental children not just actual age).