Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game going to fail?

Comments

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by MrPobears

I just found out SoE was behind DCU, and well,  SoE = Death to games, outside EQ1 and 2, SoE has been a really crappy company when it comes to MMOs.  I'm too afraid of subbing when it comes out, but damn I want to be a Green Lantern.

To answer simply no it won't fail commercially it will be a success the question then is will it satisfy all the people who buy it.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

im just wondering what is the difference if you buy it on PS3 or PC? Cause there are people out there that just want to sit on their sofas and play a MMO on a big screen tv without moving there PC to the tv.

And for those who say that PS3 players wont (or mostly PS3 players) pay for 15/month

Look at the forums on http://www.dcuosource.com/ there is a ton of people that are starting legions for the PS3

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by drgran

im just wondering what is the difference if you buy it on PS3 or PC? Cause there are people out there that just want to sit on their sofas and play a MMO on a big screen tv without moving there PC to the tv.

And for those who say that PS3 players wont (or mostly PS3 players) pay for 15/month

Look at the forums on http://www.dcuosource.com/ there is a ton of people that are starting legions for the PS3

As a previous poster stated chances are this game will do well on the PS3 thanks in part to Batman Arkham Asylum at the least.  I for one plan on buying it for my PS3.  Obviously I'm an avid mmo player but I still love console games as well but the biggest reason for me buying the PS3 version is the fact that there should be no hardware limitations, my pc is an older machine maybe three or four years old and I don't plan on replacing it unless/until TOR releases so why worry about whether my pc will run this game properly when I can just buy it for the PS3 where the code is the exact same.

Another difference is I believe SOE will have pc players and PS3 players on seperate servers but not sure about this.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Another difference is I believe SOE will have pc players and PS3 players on seperate servers but not sure about this.

yah i was thinking about this too . SOE to me is a money hungry company, and I do see they will annouce with a patch for the servers not to be seperated. but can share the account when they see the population go down or sales decrease for either pc or ps3.

On that note i can also see them saying you have to buy and link the PC or PS3 account to the other. so they can make more money.

only time will tell.

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• beefaroniapbeefaroniap Member Posts: 78

depends on the marketing atm they have like 30 k facebook fans so im guessing at least 50 k people know of the game atm all they need is 50 more to be succesfull in todays mmo numbers

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

What bothers me about DC Universe so far is... it will be released soon and this video:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=159248597418593

Is symbolic of all their PR stuff. Nothing substantial about the gameplay, advancement or game systems at all. Their website http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/overview.vm is minimalist at best and ambiguous at worst.

Heh I like Batman and all. But to me, they are not doing much to appeal to MMORPG players. Maybe they just want DC Comic reading Modern Warfare players.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

more than likely

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• AlennaAlenna Member UncommonPosts: 114

yes it will and will be fast

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Really depends on your definition of fail.  I suspect that the game will launch and get a fair number of subs, probably on par with other hero type games.  I'll even guess that it will have more then similar games because of SoE backing it.  Since this is a SoE game I'm also gonna bet they support it with updates and frequent changes.  It will have money and devs behind it.  All in all it will likely be one of the better games out.

But who knows till it launches.  I know I'll be at least trying unless the MT includes game changing things like powers and stuff that directly change the game play making people who buy superior to people who don't.

---
    Ethion

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

Originally posted by Lonewolf

Bloody MMO players....stop worrying about whether it will fail before its even started, just buy it, play it and if you enjoy it then its not a fail in your eyes

I liked All Points Bulletin, that game was axed. =/

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

As others have said it depends on your definition of fail.  A lot of people think SWG is a failure despite it still being played.  To some CoX (City of Heroes/Villains) is a failure because it doesn't have the same numbers it started off with and doesn't have the WoW facture yet it is still going on well into its 6th year.

I hope the game plays well and I can play with my friends who are going to be playing it.  Do I care if half the community here doesn't play it?  No because I will be playing it and that is all that matters to me in the end.  If I enjoy it then I enjoy it doesn't matter if anyone else does.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152

I'm curious how this one will turn out from all the other super hero/villans games out there. Only two other but still haha. 

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

intrested so im gonna throw some money at it and give it a go like i did the rest, if i like it i will stay and if i dont i will be gone at the end of the first month, but till ToR comes out nothing else really intrests me that includes going back to wow to check cat out.....

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I won't buy it without trying it, so they best have an open beta soon...

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

I just found out SoE was behind DCU, and well,  SoE = Death to games, outside EQ1 and 2, SoE has been a really crappy company when it comes to MMOs.  I'm too afraid of subbing when it comes out, but damn I want to be a Green Lantern.

Heres how i go with mmo games; their faction with me stands like this:

Funcom

SOE

EA

All Free to play (P2P eliminates 1/2 the kiddies for whom parents wont pay per month for them to play)

NCSoft (non-ArenaNet)

Square Enix (Will not buy FFXIV, waiting on FFXVIII or something like that)

Blizzard

NCSoft (ArenaNet)

Legend

Red - F... (Screw) me over once, shame on you, shame on me wont happen.

Yellow - Will give their games one last try if they manage to interest me enough

Green - Will still buy from them

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by jackmcleod

Heres how i go with mmo games; their faction with me stands like this:

Funcom

SOE

EA

All Free to play (P2P eliminates 1/2 the kiddies for whom parents wont pay per month for them to play)

NCSoft (non-ArenaNet)

Square Enix (Will not buy FFXIV, waiting on FFXVIII or something like that)

Blizzard

NCSoft (ArenaNet)

Legend

Red - F... (Screw) me over once, shame on you, shame on me wont happen.

Yellow - Will give their games one last try if they manage to interest me enough

Green - Will still buy from them

lol that's great :)

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It looks pretty decent but I doubt the masses will like it.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by SaintViktor

It looks pretty decent but I doubt the masses will like it.

I'll agree there.  I think it has the potential to be the biggest superhero MMO out.  Its highly doubtful it will live up to its potential,  but I still believe it will be a great game.  Even in the best case scenario though,  I see it retaining meager subs in comparison to major mainstream titles.  The only real edge this game will have is the PS3 launch, so it could appeal to a broader range of players.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    I think it failed already consider no info this close to launch.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

A little over a year ago there was only 1 super hero theme game, City of heroes and it was quiet good.   Last year Champion Online was released and it did rather poorly.   Now we have DC Universe coming and Super Heroes Squad Online.   I think the market is getting saturated with Super Heroes MMO's.   Unless these last 2 do brand new stuff we never see before i dont see how they could become succcesful and detrone COH from the top seat.

What info are you wanting to hear about that hasn't been talked about?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by vboydjr

What info are you wanting to hear about that hasn't been talked about?

Thats exactly the question, isn't it?  Many people haven't tried following the game enough to know what they don't know! image

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Will it exceed WOW in sub numbers, no it won't so it will be a total failure.

Stop worrying about it, if you don't want to buy from SOE, don't.  Or wait a few months and see if the game turns out OK before purchasing, that's what I do these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Aguitha

A little over a year ago there was only 1 super hero theme game, City of heroes and it was quiet good.   Last year Champion Online was released and it did rather poorly.   Now we have DC Universe coming and Super Heroes Squad Online.   I think the market is getting saturated with Super Heroes MMO's.   Unless these last 2 do brand new stuff we never see before i dont see how they could become succcesful and detrone COH from the top seat.

CO>>COH, at least champions is fun to play and decent loking.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Aguitha

CO>>COH, at least champions is fun to play and decent loking.

Ok I have played CoH and CO and I do not personally believe CO to be fun to play maybe more decent looking compared to a game that had been out 4+years before CO came out but CO is not as fun to play IMHO as CoH.

This discussion has been closed.