Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would appearance slots make you come back?

rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

I have to honestly admit that I was a bit disappointed when I discovered that Blizzard wasn't adding appearance slots for gear in the Cataclysm expansion. This has been one of my biggest gripes about the game since i first started playing it. I'm sure that every single player remembers the feeling of having to toss away, or store in the bank some of their most prized pieces of gear, simply because its become too outdated for questing, pvp, or raiding. And this was all just so you can put on the same gear that every other person in your class is wearing at high level? For crying out loud, why can't I have my rogue look the way I imagined my rogue to look, without him being gimped by outdated gear syndrome? Even some of the most bad ass npcs in the game have the privilege of looking the way the devs want them to look without that character having to wear the latest tier x gear! What if I wanted to deck him out in full defias gear (from the Deadmines Instance) while raiding the Black Temple, or Nax? Imagine being able to trick out your stats with the latest gear (like normal), while still retaining the look that YOU are going for with your class. Imagine the variety and uniqueness that you could witness when you walk into Stormwind? And imagine how this would benefit guilds who want to develop unique uniforms for their members, even ones specific to ones guild rank? i think this would really bring some creative life to the game. If any of you are still having a hard time imagining what this would look like, take a look at this link:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/Sableneko/AppearanceTab.jpg

All of a sudden, gear crafting professions like blacksmithing and leatherworking would once again matter, and people would have reasons to do some of the most classic old school raids again.

If this feature was added to Cataclysm, I swear I'd be tempted to come back. All they'd have to do to complete this would be to add player housing and guild keeps (they can be instances, of course). Then I'd come back for sure.

Thoughts? Comments? Share.

"Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
— Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

"P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-

"But, there is one they fear.

In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin -- Dragonborn!" -Game of the Century-

Comments

• KidfierceKidfierce Member Posts: 36

While that would be a nice feature, I don't think it appeals to the lower teens  console playing crowd that is Activision's demographic.   

The DK, Mohawk Grenade, and Fluffy the sparkly horse were proof enough of that for me.    I think if you're wanting some level of individuality,  you'll have to look for a game that is less popular with the "I want to win NOW" crowd that have infested WoW over the last few years.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

While I think an appearance slot(s) would be nice. Honestly though for it to work, they would have to actually add armor that didn't look like crap.  Alot of the ingame armor just looks like junk and there is very little that I find appealing by any means.  They would need to add casual clothing into the game to go along with it.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I don't think it would be enough for people to come back, though I do think it would be nice to have.

• HanloHanlo Member Posts: 7

For me, this hearkens back to something I brought up years ago, something I haven't seen since the days of UO... armor and clothing dyes.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I would like to see armor and clothing dyes in WoW, even EQ2.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Hanlo

For me, this hearkens back to something I brought up years ago, something I haven't seen since the days of UO... armor and clothing dyes.

I think they already mentioned that dyes where out of the question. Something about how they do the armor textures and how the engine handles it. Wasn't something that could easily be added and wasn't something they wanted to do.

Even if they where to attempt to add it in now the amount of work needed / required to make it happen would be insane with the number of different armors in the game. They would have to go back through and adjust every armor texture to allow for it then pass it off to QA to check every armor and armor combo to make sure they still looked right.  Blah, too late for something like that.

Just like player housing. It's all but been dropped off the board since they can not figure out a good use / reasion to have it.  One of the blues posted that if someone could come up with a good valid use for player housing then they would think about it. And they don't look at just a place to hangout as a valid use.

• rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

Doing dyes would be way too much work for Blizzard, and I would understand them just going with the appearance slot. There are millions of different pieces of gear one could use to make their own personalization with. This is a more viable option, and doesn't take too much work. Besides, there are already many gear pieces of the same model, but different color. Just go hunting for the color you want. Problem solved.

I would understand if they chose not to go with player housing. Its just beyond me why Blizzard has neglected appearance slots. Other MMOs have implemented it, and it works perfectly fine.

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

I would love that, although it wouldn't make me come back, I am done with WoW until Cataclysm comes out, I would love my rogue to have his tier 2 set all the time, I am in love with that set.

It just looks bad ass.

• rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

Yeah man, that damn outfit strikes fear in pvp. Looks so damn evil and scary.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Well, that would make ME come back (yeah, just speaking for myself)

i neither particularly hate, OR love wow...

But its just that armor thingy thats bugging me.. If you are purely opting for MAXIMUM efficiency (which almost every1 does) than your character can easily end up looking like a clown, even by fantasy-standarts...

• TomShredsTomShreds Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by Hanlo

There's plenty of game that does dyes, like Aion and Fallen Earth.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I was hoping the new reforging in cataclsym could do that, move all the stats from one peice of gear to another, so if I wanted to I could run around in the hunters deadmine set only it would have lvl 80 stats.... but no,

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

Once they allow appearance slots, all they are gonna do is charge you out the ass for it in the cash shop.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

You want people to come back, make classes unique again, dont release Tauren paladins, or Gnome priests, Get rid of Death Knights..... actually just roll back WOTLK. Make RAIDS worth playing again and give people a reason to have real world pvp again. Oh and stop making Pkers RAID.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Naaa appearance slots like what EQ2 has are great fluff ideas, which I do like.. but it's not a game breaker..  Only way Blizzard is getting me back is to nerf the ID system, open the hard cap raid limits, and add more classes.. OH.. and add meaningful OPEN WORLD PvP :) with rewards EQUAL to the quality of the PvE drops..

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218

If appearnce slots fix the shit community in there sure, otherwise never.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.