Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSpot Weighs In on WoW and EQII

GameSpot finished its reviews of WoW and EQII.

WoW: 9.5
EQII: 7.8

Same reviewer (Greg Kasavin), I've been reading his work for years and he's usually pretty accurate. I'm playing EQII now, and won't touch WoW until my subscription runs out so I can't comment on the discrepancy personally...but a 9.5 from GameSpot is the highest rating they've given a PC game ever...and Greg is usually a pretty tough reviewer.

Decide for yourself.

Comments

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

WoW does NOT deserve a 9.5 when HL2 only got 9.2

I would give WoW about a 7.5

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

For the amount of longevity Half Life 2 will offer, I consider 9.2 to be overly generous.

Half Life 2 is an excellent FPS, with a limited shelf-life.

World of Warcraft, however, is an astonishing MMORPG with an unlimited shelf-life.

• airplane50airplane50 Member UncommonPosts: 84

i played both EQ 2 and WOW beta, now i am in WOW.

chose by yourself

p.s. i like that Greg kasavin too, he usually reviews "big title" games such as doom 3 , half life 2, halo 2, MGS 3 and wow. and he is a good reviewer.

from my view, 9.5 is a little too high for wow, but it definately deserve a 9.0.

and i give EQ 2 8.0, caz it has a  fancy graphic.

========================
    Question:Why three monks stands there with a empty barrel.
    Answer:they are waiting for jay and silent bob.
    What For? Please check out next Jay and Silent Bob movie.

• OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015

No MMORPG deserves a 9.5 on their strict scale. As fun as they can be they still always have flaws.

And I'm sorry Half-Life 2 should not get only a 9.2 when games like the Chronicles of Riddick (9.3), Ralisport Challenge 2 (also 9.3) and Burnout 3 (9.5!) get such absurd scores. I've never really cared for their reviews and such a low score for Half-Life 2 and the reviews for WOW & EQII after only 1 week (what did you do? play to lvl 20 or something?) just deepened my distrust for their reviewing system.

---------------------------- Desolation Guild Website ---------------------------
    Currently:
    Beta: Guild Wars
    Playing: EQII & WOW
    (yeah, both... deal with it)

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW

• Nimrod4154Nimrod4154 Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Ominis

No MMORPG deserves a 9.5 on their strict scale. As fun as they can be they still always have flaws.
    And I'm sorry Half-Life 2 should not get only a 9.2 when games like the Chronicles of Riddick (9.3), Ralisport Challenge 2 (also 9.3) and Burnout 3 (9.5!) get such absurd scores. I've never really cared for their reviews and such a low score for Half-Life 2 and the reviews for WOW & EQII after only 1 week (what did you do? play to lvl 20 or something?) just deepened my distrust for their reviewing system.
    ---------------------------- Desolation Guild Website ---------------------------
    Currently:

Yes a lot of reviews are made after a week but there are some reasons why they do this. A lot of people want to know the first couple of weeks whether or not a game will be fun or not. I know id rather know now if i was going to buy WoW then know in a month. I think that the main reason that games recieve a decent(7 or so) or bad score after days or a week of play is simply because they dont want to continue rating. If you do not enjoy a game at all it usually wont get better after playing it for 2 weeks. Yes i also believe that no MMORPG should recieve a 9.5. 9.5 is an A basically and there will not be an "A" in mmorpgs until there is no lag and endless content etc. I think that Chronicles of Riddick was overrated as well. Ive rented the game and its fun but im not into the xbox movie fps genre(Heh its rare but its true).

Games Played:DoAC, EQ, CoH, Lineage 2, Planetside, Shadowbane, EQ2, EVE, WoW Beta
    Playing:(Waiting to buy WoW)

• twolfertwolfer Member Posts: 72
    allowing the same person to review both games is just plain silly...this joker is obviously biased

lol, you're right. I didn't see that earlier. Yeah, in order to get an objective review they needed to have seperate people review each of the games. Plus wait a little longer but I already said that...

Currently:

Currently:

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Ominis

Currently:

Well, you must consider that each game is rated for his genre basically. HL2 is a good shooter BUT it eliminated the 2 best elements of the first HL (a great storyline and intelligent enemies), so i think 9.2 is even too much.

I do not know about Riddick (but i heard is really an incredible game) or Rallisport but i played Burnout and is an heck of a game! I usually do not like that much racing game but that i do, oh yes i do! So again, i think 9.5 was accurate as it is a genre game that manages to attract people that are usually not playing such games.

As for the reviews of EQ 2 and WoW, take in mind they have been playing and following the betas for Months! so that is 1 week of retail + months of beta. Considering there isn't that big of a difference between open beta and retail, i think the time is quite enough.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• deb1deb1 Member Posts: 111

i would love to write a long and meaningful post, but i think i can sum this up in one line:

GAMESPOT SUCKS!

There we go. ::::28::

Currently:

Currently:

• BobbyMaqBobbyMaq Member Posts: 1
    Well i haven't read the gamespot reviews of eqii but i play eqii and i really like it.  it has the best graphics i have ever seen in a mmorpg and on many offline games also.  so fwiw, whatever gamespot says, i like it....image

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Originally posted by deb1
    Originally posted by firemagic Originally posted by deb1i would love to write a long and meaningful post, but i think i can sum this up in one line:GAMESPOT SUCKS!I'd rather read your long and meaningful post, because the one you just made is meaningless.
    just like your post :P

Hahaha! Great stuff ::::08::

• BabbuunBabbuun Member Posts: 333

If I'd have 10 cookies and my sweet-tooth was aching, but so was that of chris metzen, I'd give him 9.5 cookies. If on the other hand I had 100€ and I wanted to by something, but so would Chris Metzen(if both of us were broke for some reason), I would only give him 50€.

If a guy from [INSERT LARGE ELECTRONICS COMPANY] would want some of my cookies, I'd probably give him none, just because I wouldn't trust him. If he wanted some of my money I'd punch him in the face.

And yes that Kasakis dude did sound a bit too enthusiastic for his own good: "you have this really cool blah blah", "the awesome atmosphere really makes you blah blah". Take a chill pill before doing your review man. EQII did make him remember his chill pill, though. What can we learn from this? WoW causes some sort of short term loss of judgement?

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• TeeiTeei Member Posts: 175
    WoW, 9.5 is the highest I ever seen for any mmorpg review on gamespot. I believe the second was DAoC with 9.1.  I do read a lot of review on gamespot and it's one of my favorite game site.  As for Half life getting 9.2, I think it's about right. Seriously, I think all FPS are overated because it's simply the same game with similar control in a different setting; basicly you run around find a better gun, hide behind a wall and shoot and run around and shoot, maybe some puzzle.  This is why I'm not a FPS fan.  But this is just my opinion, don't flame me. lol image     

• AnindelAnindel Member Posts: 66

HL2= nothing great. Beat it in a day, with the horrible head ache it gave me. I can say that I agree with the WoW rating they gave, I'm playing it now and I love it.

Adinion
    [NonFactor]
    I am a proud Blizzard Fanboy

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

So... Now a REWIEVER is called a biased fan boi, because you did not like the result?

You really are pathetic, the lot of you... Again I say.. Never.. EVER complain about the WoW community. The really bad stuff is all EQ II people, the completly "illogical belief system" bad. I am not a fan of the WoW community. But in their stupidity they at least have some handle of reality.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

This is realy getting boring, you find more post of WoW vs EQ2 then anything else that can be usefull. The one post is more subtile then the other, but the games are out and just stop comparing them. Every game stands on its own and can be played seperatly and even next to each other. You don't have to choose for just one of them. It is true that a mmorpg requires time to play, but a single player game does as well. And how many games have you installed on your PC? If I have to answer that question I have 12 games installed, none mmorpg at the moment. There isn't one out there that pulls me to it. I will just wait for WoW and later and hopefully Warhammer Online. And in the mean time just beta test some games and take guildwars on the way as well.

And just read reviews instead of looking to the score they give to it. With only the score you are nothing. Like HL2 has a nice score, but I would hate it if I get it. Why? Because I hate the most FPS whith just brainless killing. Same goes for other games, the only things I read are the feature and if there is a nice story coupled to it. Nice background and good features, and then the review how the features are implemented and how it runs on a decent machine. Then I decide if I get a game or not. Even if it gets a 0 as score.

So far for reviews and score pasted on them, and just stop comparing WoW with EQ2 or any other games with each other, they have all other backgrounds and stories that give another feel to each game.

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

• FrankBuckFrankBuck Member Posts: 19

Reviews will always be a question of personal taste. And that also goes for reviewers for big sites like Gamespot. They are not neutral judges passing judgments on games. They give their personal opinion about a game.

So you can't really use the score for anything (perhaps if you compared it to 20 other reviewers, it would give an indication). You need to read the review and get the reasons for the score. Perhaps the things the reviewer says is great, is something you will absolutely not like in a game.

I am surprised to see such a big score for WoW, and I do think the Gamespot reviewer got carried a little bit away, and perhaps he should have waited a bit before writing the review. Perhaps he is hit with the EQ2 vs Wow Flu that is going around the world now. He has already given EQ2 a high score, and then he gets WoW, which he thinks is better, and feels that he really has to clarify this. And so gives WoW a higher score than it would perhaps have gotten on its own.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by FrankBuck

Reviews will always be a question of personal taste. And that also goes for reviewers for big sites like Gamespot. They are not neutral judges passing judgments on games. They give their personal opinion about a game.
    So you can't really use the score for anything (perhaps if you compared it to 20 other reviewers, it would give an indication). You need to read the review and get the reasons for the score. Perhaps the things the reviewer says is great, is something you will absolutely not like in a game.
    I am surprised to see such a big score for WoW, and I do think the Gamespot reviewer got carried a little bit away, and perhaps he should have waited a bit before writing the review. Perhaps he is hit with the EQ2 vs Wow Flu that is going around the world now. He has already given EQ2 a high score, and then he gets WoW, which he thinks is better, and feels that he really has to clarify this. And so gives WoW a higher score than it would perhaps have gotten on its own.

I agree that the review should always be read before taking the vote as granted, for example, i read the reviews of HL 2 (9.2) and Vampire the bloodlines (7.7). I will probably prefer the second to the first and i found the review quite complete in their descriptions of the gameplay and other elements.

In the case of WoW i do not see it as strange to get such a high rating, why it should be? is an outstanding Mmorpg, period. You might like it or not like it, you might like the graphics style or not like the graphics style, it still remain an oustanding piece of software on par with all other Blizzard titles.

After all Original DaoC got 9.1 when it got out, you think WoW is worse than that?

And about WoW having 9.5 because the reviewer felt it was better than EQ2, well, eq2 got 7.8, he could have just given WoW 8.2 and that would have been it.

But let's examine also the reactions of the community: EQ 2 has 793 ratings for an average of 6.9, WoW has 2198 ratings for a total of 9.1 average... it seems the reviewer is not alone in his opinon about the two products.

Anyhow, Eq 2 is a good game, nothing about WoW remove that fact. WoW is seemingly a better game and even if personal taste play a big role in such products (i would say ESPECIALLY in mmorpgs), there are elements in any of them to give a certain degree of objectivity to any review. At least i think so.

Have a nice day.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

That reviewer at Gamespot and all other reviewers I have read are just like us . . . they say nice things about what they like an enjoy playing and say bad things about what they don't like or had a problem with. 

Obviously, this guy at Gamespot had a problem with Everquest II and was overcome by the hype of WoW.  That's not really fair to say, WoW is an awesome game, but not worthy of a 9.5.

By the same standard, Everquest II is an awesome game, but not worthy of a 7.8.  My guess is that his bias was towards the game he had most fun with, and that is different for everyone. 

This reviewer was not objective in his reviews and ratings.

• EonNachtgotEonNachtgot Member Posts: 60

This WoW vs EQ2 stuff is really gettin old

i mean "Its so eleven minutes ago" .

Anyway kudos to blizzard and sony cus they really 'v got the point .
    1) HYPE THE GAME

2) HYPE THE GAME

1999) HYPE THE GAME

last) pay some ones to start a sides -war . (which betta1111 than otha ? so rulez?)

and you'v got a successfully selled game .

sh****

-----------------------------
    "Neon Light" Eon Night

www.wrassle.net

As some things can be right and useless, can't some things be wrong and priceless? -Viktor Suikoden I

"Neon Light" Eon Night

As some things can be right and useless, can't some things be wrong and priceless? -Viktor Suikoden I

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

I do not like Gamespot reviews, and a 9.5 for WoW is ridiculous. It's a fun game; yes. More fun then EQ2: If you think so, yes. But it definetly does not deserve a 9.5. If it would, by their standards, EQ2 should get a 9.0.

And I'm the most unbiased of teh whole scene, since I basically enjoyed both, although I'm playing EQ2 now since I'm in Europe.

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317
    I didn't read the WoW review, but I did read the EQ2 one, and it was very biased.  There were things in there that just weren't true.  He even game the game an average score on graphics even though they are stunning.  I played the WoW beta, and I just don't get it.  The game is good, but nothing out of the ordinary.  It feels like every other MMO game I've played before.  I like EQ2 because it actually feels new and fresh.  I guess if you want something to be special so badly, it doesn't matter if it actually is or not.

member of imminst.org

• EonNachtgotEonNachtgot Member Posts: 60

yeah , a good journalist knows how to make something look bad , and some other look good . Its his job, he learns it with time passing

i remember reading a book from balzak once , a story of a young boy that gets in the world of journalism ...hmmm

Anyway this stuff is getting old , would you people please stop postin stufff about this WoW Vs Eq2 war

i feel like throwing out a puke .

I definitely im gonna go and Play Legend of Mir 3 .

"Neon Light" Eon Night

www.wrassle.net

"Neon Light" Eon Night

• nash8114nash8114 Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by n25philly
    I didn't read the WoW review, but I did read the EQ2 one, and it was very biased. There were things in there that just weren't true. He even game the game an average score on graphics even though they are stunning. I played the WoW beta, and I just don't get it. The game is good, but nothing out of the ordinary. It feels like every other MMO game I've played before. I like EQ2 because it actually feels new and fresh. I guess if you want something to be special so badly, it doesn't matter if it actually is or not.

Actually, if you want something to be special badly, there is a good chance you will not like it when it comes out, because your hopes were too high.
    Personally I don't think its fair to compare EQ2 to WoW and judge which one is the better of the two, because that all comes down to personal taste for certain game aspects.
    I haven't played EQ2, but read some posts on it, and watched some screenshots and movies. For what I've seen and read, it is a good MMORPG.
    As for WoW, which I anticipated for a long time and for which I've followed the developement very close and played the open beta, I must say that to me it seems nicer. Do please notice I use "to me it seems". I like most of the game aspects of WoW. Its a quite 'simple' MMORPG which makes it very accessible for new players of the genre. Graphics are very smooth. Lots of race and class choice. Plethora of things to do.

I think that EQ2 is nice for people who are in the RPG game scene for a longer time (perhaps even play D&D on paper ::::02:: ) and WoW is nice for people who are new or who are in the scene for a longer time.

It all just comes down to personal interest and taste.

Cheers,
    Nash

_____

This discussion has been closed.