Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So no more new content this year?

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Is SWG going to get any new content this year? 

Comments

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by Obraik

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=1103500

so the answer is no.

unless of course you consider new loot, leaderboards and tweaking a cuple of professions to be content. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

But SWG is running on a few devs, they just keep on fixing some bugs and trying to hold on to the customers, maybe with a new TCG which ppl can buy or something like that.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Pretty funny how different the reaction is in that thread versus this one. It makes me happy to see the community actually playing the game is happy and optimistic, even though I tend to lean towards the more cynical side of this thread.

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

(Mod Edit)

I thought that was pretty funny too. To their credit, one of the highlights of my last SWG guild was collecting tons of Bantha dolls from that first instanced Corellian ship near Jabba's palace. The guild leader started giving them away as event prizes or creating rooms full of em. Wasn't exactly what the devs had in mind, but sending a raiding party against tons of battle droids in an attempt to steal their stock of bantha dolls was pretty entertaining.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Troneas

so the answer is no.

unless of course you consider new loot, leaderboards and tweaking a cuple of professions to be content. 

There will be new content in the way of more revamped themeparks.  I'd guess Nightsister or something along those lines.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Originally posted by Troneas

so the answer is no.

There will be new content in the way of more revamped themeparks.  I'd guess Nightsister or something along those lines.

"Revamping" is not adding new content, it's simply changing around old shit.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Originally posted by eyeswideopen  "Revamping" is not adding new content, it's simply changing around old shit.

Not sure that's true, the content in place at the moment is brief and broken in places.  The Devs redo the entire themepark, creating new content in the process.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by eyeswideopen  "Revamping" is not adding new content, it's simply changing around old shit.

Not sure that's true, the content in place at the moment is brief and broken in places.  The Devs redo the entire themepark, creating new content in the process.

Do you consider tweaking and updating old content the same as adding in new? I don't. I see where it's a bit of a grey area for some, but IMO, new "content" is something never before seen in game (IE new dungeon, new place to explore, new heroics, expansion, etc). Revising an existing quest to once again function under the NGE is simply repairs...not progressing the game any.

Think of it this way...On my house I have an overhead garage door. Lets assume that it only goes up half way because of some electrical change I made to the house years ago (like the existing themeparks) - IMO, correcting that to where it's once again a functioning garage door is simply necessary maintenance...I'm adding nothing "new" to my house, simply restoring functionality to an existing item. Adding on a new room would be an expansion and converting my barren basement into a game room could be considered adding new "content" to an otherwise worthless area.

I classify any existing themepark tweaks and tinkering in the "necessary maintenance" category - just as I view adding new loot to existing Heroics as nothing more than routine updates.

Now...if they really do add in "new places" to explore, you may be correct that it would qualify as "new content"...but it's more like remodelling than anything else IMO.

Originally posted by TUX426

Do you consider tweaking and updating old content the same as adding in new?

I do, because I add it to the list of content to run when I get time.  Nyms Themepark springs to mind, I haven't been through that yet.

That went from being some old Pre-CU missions to a completely new questline and collections.

For instance, take the Marauder Themepark.  That is currently completely broken, you can't get past the first NPC.  If the Devs put in all new questlines, collections and even a dungeon would you still not see that as new content?  Remember that the themepark originally consisted of about four simple kill quests that bagged you the now rare marauder clothing set.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by BadgerSmakerIf

the Devs put in all new questlines, collections and even a dungeon would you still not see that as new content?  Remember that the themepark originally consisted of about four simple kill quests that bagged you the now rare marauder clothing set.

I answered that very question above, but I'll oblige you again with more detail.

I feel that continual tweaking and updating in an MMO is necessary to ensure old content doesn't become forgotten and ignored content - look at the tons of broken quests from NGE and GMF when the replaced NPCs or failed to update loot (Necrosis, Corvette, Darklighter). NO developer will ever keep up with the insatiable appetite of gamers, which is why trying to develop "new" rather than update "existing" is never going to pay off - they need to do both!!! 

All I see SoE doing right now is updating existing Badger. Nyms was simply a needed update...and sadly, one that people made it through in several hours. New "collections" aren't exactly "content" IMO either...as those are long term "grinds", not meant to be done quickly (even though players do grind them out), but meant to be rewarded after time.

Like I originally said...I see how it's kind of a grey area...however, the argument "but it's been broken for 5 years", while true, doesn't mean it's suddenly "new" content...just shows how far behind SoE is IMO.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by BadgerSmakerIf

the Devs put in all new questlines, collections and even a dungeon would you still not see that as new content?  Remember that the themepark originally consisted of about four simple kill quests that bagged you the now rare marauder clothing set.

I answered that very question above, but I'll oblige you again with more detail.

I feel that continual tweaking and updating in an MMO is necessary to ensure old content doesn't become forgotten and ignored content - look at the tons of broken quests from NGE and GMF when the replaced NPCs or failed to update loot (Necrosis, Corvette, Darklighter). NO developer will ever keep up with the insatiable appetite of gamers, which is why trying to develop "new" rather than update "existing" is never going to pay off - they need to do both!!! 

All I see SoE doing right now is updating existing Badger. Nyms was simply a needed update...and sadly, one that people made it through in several hours. New "collections" aren't exactly "content" IMO either...as those are long term "grinds", not meant to be done quickly (even though players do grind them out), but meant to be rewarded after time.

Like I originally said...I see how it's kind of a grey area...however, the argument "but it's been broken for 5 years", while true, doesn't mean it's suddenly "new" content...just shows how far behind SoE is IMO.

Part of the problem SWG still suffers to this day is all the time they lost post-NGE...I believe the 1st big Update after the NGE was Restuss/GCW and that was 7 1/2 months post-NGE...It was 2 full years before the Heroics were implemented...That's a ridiculous amount of time for Players to wait for Major Updates...I think that's why they are so behind today...Those 1st 2 years post NGE were brutal...The NGE was never going to be pre-NGE, but they really dropped the ball regardless...Had they got Restuss, the GCW, and the Heroics all in within the 1st say 9 Months of the NGE, they at least would have had something to build on...Instead they have been WAY behind since 11/15/2005 and they'll never catch up...image

• jakfoxjakfox Member Posts: 50

= The game looks like it's on life support. They should let it go F2P and just introduce an item mall to save face.

It's sad to see such ill-attention paid to one of the most marketable franchises ever.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Well best of luck to your game and hope to see you  in TOR Obriak. Cheers. 

• metalazometalazo Member Posts: 39

Do you consider tweaking and updating old content the same as adding in new?

I do, because I add it to the list of content to run when I get time.  Nyms Themepark springs to mind, I haven't been through that yet.

That went from being some old Pre-CU missions to a completely new questline and collections.

For instance, take the Marauder Themepark.  That is currently completely broken, you can't get past the first NPC.  If the Devs put in all new questlines, collections and even a dungeon would you still not see that as new content?  Remember that the themepark originally consisted of about four simple kill quests that bagged you the now rare marauder clothing set.

Nyms Themepark is more or less the same as it was before but added a few extra (infuriating) quests and collections. They still had the quest where you had to answer some riddles and jokes to get access to a droid - I can remember that from doing it originally.

I did it on a toon I was grinding up on another server, so did it for the XP, so not sure if toons who have already done it are able to do it again or what, but have no motivation to do it again on them. Once is enough, and when got the weed collection did 1 round of it then aborted it, as was too much. You had to run around picking up so many weeds of certain type, and then once got them all you got a collection piece, and then have to rinse and repeat about 10 or more times, and it looked like you could end up  doing this forever, as it looked like you could end up getting duplicate collections, and the last round you may have difficulty getting that last collection for it, due to getting nothing else but all the rest.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by jakfox

= The game looks like it's on life support. They should let it go F2P and just introduce an item mall to save face.

It's sad to see such ill-attention paid to one of the most marketable franchises ever.

The game definately appears to be on life support like Vanguard. With the difference that the current tiny SWG devteam actually cares about what the players want. Updates dont come in big chunks, but more in mutual agreement with the players then before.

I dont think SOE will see F2P as viable btw. Unless they change some things. If you see how they argue against more characterslots because of the way the amount of lots impact the world, the last thing they like to see is loads of extra f2p accounts with each 20 lots.

• metalazometalazo Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by jakfox

The game definately appears to be on life support like Vanguard. With the difference that the current tiny SWG devteam actually cares about what the players want. Updates dont come in big chunks, but more in mutual agreement with the players then before.

I dont think SOE will see F2P as viable btw. Unless they change some things. If you see how they argue against more characterslots because of the way the amount of lots impact the world, the last thing they like to see is loads of extra f2p accounts with each 20 lots.

F2P is not free, and you have to pay for some of it. SWG is already set up to accept non use of the lots with the free trial, so either they could make it so you have to subscribe to the game to get the lots, or pay to unlock the ability or even pay $1 to unlock each lot, or $20 to unlock all lots and then it will be no worse than getting a current free trial and paying 1 months sub fee of $15 if you intend dropping houses and then cancelling.