Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you rage quit an mmo? What sent you over the edge?

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Not really a ragequit, but the recent announcement that they were 'enhancing' all the instances in the game with something akin to the skirmish mark system was the tipping point for me that made me cancel my LotRO account (not that it really matters at this point, with the F2P move.

I hate almost everything about the skirmish mark system, so infecting the rest of the game with it was simply too much. I'm beyond sick of the grinds they keep introducing to the game. First it was all the rep you had to get for various endgame factions, then the LIs (which could have been amazing, but they completely butchered), then came more rep grinds, then skirmish marks, then instance grinds....I originally fell in love with LotRO due to the world design and amazing questing, but they've all but killed my interest in the game at this point.

<3

• ZookzZookz Member Posts: 244

I rage quit Aion... twice. There's a certain questchain to get some of the best gear in the game, and it is grueling. A particular part of that quest requires you to be an expert crafter, collect a large number of very rare materials, and craft a special quest item. The catch is that if you do not produce the high quality version of that item, you've just wasted every single mat. It is based strictly on luck and how much time you can devote to Chinese gold farmer style farming. I've never been more pissed off at a game. Just typing this pisses me off. 

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Not so much in rage, but in realization that the game was crap!

I am unemployed, so not a lot of money. so the main reason would be games that you must pay just for grinding!

Last Chaos because at higher lvl's the only place to get xp was inside dungeons, every time you try out side, some pathetic boss would show up and kill you with one hit!

Shaaiya, because they banned me for using "Congratz Youve Made The S.H.I.T.I  List" in the forum, which as stated in the body of the message, stands for "So Happy I Tried It" (Yes I know it's LAME)

Runes of Magic, because I refused to pay real money over and over just to increase the size of my back pack!

RF Online, because once you get above lvl 40 you are forced to play in groups or die in pvp (most of the time you die anyway)

Martial Empires, because it is impossible to get the game to go past the log in screen, error message of "failed to connect to server", every time! (anyone know if this game is online? or is it only for a particular country, I'm in Australia)

I'm almost ready to give up on rohan, due to pointless grinding! at lvl 45 you get .001 xp point for killing some thing 5 lvl's higher than you! (I don't want to think about what it would be like at higher levels)

Allods Online because of a recent change that forces the need for cash shop!

Soul of the Ultimate Nation, simply because, every time you go to start the game, it opens their web page instead of the game! (Who came up with that crazy idea)

There are lots more that just got too boring (grindfest)...

• JellypigJellypig Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by twstdstrange

stuff

It was the tyrranical beheader, wasn't it?

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Allods Online because of a recent change that forces the need for cash shop!

THIS!

I really  liked  this game, but now it is literally unplayable without buying a cash shop item to nullify a damage debuff that makes combat a death sentence every time. Bastards. I hope most of their players ragequit too. LOL

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116

I once thought i would never Rage quit any mmo.Boy was i ever wrong.I heard about this new game coming out and i had to try it cause it was skill based.I thought perhaps i could get into PVP,but to be honest i am as carebear as they come.So i logged in,played in what was a very immersive world.

I wanted to go into crafting since i like making stuff.Every time i would go out to gather iron to make armor some vet player would cease upon me and kill me within a couple hits.What took me 45 minutes to gather,took a vet less then a minutes to take away from me.

It would happen all the time.So i finally threw my wireless mouse across the room,and said F*** it and rage quit.If you can't guess already the game was DarkFall

• komarrkomarr Member UncommonPosts: 214

DDO from a combonation of poor game and poor community.    I subscribed when it first came out and quit like many others.  I went back when it went F2P.  I played for a couple months and while some things had been improved some hadn't.  I was particularly annoyed that unless you payed for content packs you could not reach max level without playing every available free quest several times each.  I made a post on the DDO forums about my impressions, maybe 2 paragraphs.  I listed concrete things I liked and disliked.  In the middle of the second paragraph I mentioned WoW, saying: "other games like WoW have enough content to reach max level without even doing all the content, much less repeating any."  The strongest language I used was to say "I am very disappointed in DDO." 

In the first 10 responses 4 people called me a WoW fanboy and 2 seperate people accused me of being a Blizzard employee sent to sabatoge DDO because Blizzard feared DDO's newfound success.  3 pages of mostly "GTFO WoW fanboy" and a few agreements with my status as a covert Blizzard operative later, I posted that i thought they were all morons and haven't looked at the game or it's forum since. 

In an interesting addendum I copy pasted my original post to the DDO board here.  It recieved about one page pretty evenly split between agreeing and disagreeing with me.  And maybe one mention of my mentioning WoW.

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

~Omar Khayyam

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I've never quit a game in a rage.

It's a computer game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Rohn

I've never quit a game in a rage.

It's a computer game.

• Manu20Manu20 Member Posts: 22

SWG . . that is all.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think in my case it's more sadness than rage.  Sadness that a game has failed to live up to it's own promises or hype.  Games fail for a reason and usually it's not that hard to discern.  Many mmos release in various stages of being broken, but can still be fun for a time. 

Why do games release with broken or self destructive game mechanics.  It's like everyone at the game company is working on their little piece of the game, and no one sees the big picture.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Oh boy yes nearly every MMORPG in the last years has been a rage quit!

- Everquest 2 Soe managed to gimp it with every patch

- Vanguard after Soe took over

- World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Easymode, Activision merger and killing my beloved BM hunter

- Aion: no raid instances, terrible, terrible and terrible  NCsoft support

- Darkfall: crybabies and carebears won with the last patch so I quit

So mostly like you OP either nerfed hard or didn't agree with the direction the game was heading.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

I have never been immature enough to Ragequit. Afterall its just a game.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88

Now I dont undertand that term, but if: "ohh well, this game is not so good afterall. I'll go back to playing GW"' counts as a rage quit, then yes, i have been rage quitting alot of mmos

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

I didn't do any "rage quit", but I did "sudden quits" of all SOE games (EQ, EQ2, SWG) when they announced their Station Exchange back in 2005.

That was still before the NGE, otherwise I would have quit SWG over it as well.

For me, quitting doesn't mean "no longer playing", because I still miss my friends. It rather means "no more penny from me for this company", plus greatly reduced online time (which is often the natural result of no longer paying the subscription, hehe).

As for Lotro, I used to love that game, but have also switched to the "no more penny to them" policy.

I really dislike micro-transactions or any pay-for-item/pay-for-progression systems. It greatly reduces the immersion factor.

• komarrkomarr Member UncommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

I have never been immature enough to Ragequit. Afterall its just a game.

Who are you calling immature?????? Yeah?!? well your just a big ol' poopy head :P

{For the humor-impaired in our audience please note that the above statement is intended as a joke and does not represent our company's, it's subsidaries, or any of it's employee's ability to deal with reality or the opinions of others on an internet message board.  Thank you.}

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

~Omar Khayyam

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Nah, I usually just go "WTF is this shit?" and uninstall.

Happened a lot of times with F2P games; and recently with the Mortal Online 'beta'...

Although I got close once in WoW; the guildmaster of my first raiding guild was a total prick who cared nothing for most members and just kept swapping them out and kicking them like they were nothing, in order to 'progress' faster...

He and his core of officers also did some very 'unclean' things with DKP; I was a senior member but not part of their clique and I knew I was next in line to get kicked because I pissed him off.

Left the honor to myself and told him exactly what I thought about that bullcrap.

Quit the game for a couple of months after that. 

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Yeah i and all the guild quitted in rage and surprisingly it was not SWG it was Vanguard.

Playing from Day 1 it got worse every patch since groupplay was impossible for us bcs i.e. a single mob to fight but each on in the group had its own manifestation of that single mob to fight^^

We immedietly lost all hope for the game and left it that hour - unlike to SWG were the hope had let us stay/play for long while the writings were already on the wall...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Only game I could think of was Gakaxy online, its a sort of flashbased massive strategy game, anyway you could use real life money for basicly everything and in the end it were so obvious that the one who paid the most cash won.

Had everything destroyed, not because of skills nor preparation, but because I hadnt spent more money then them ingame. I lost weeks of gameplay building ships. I was so pissed of I logged out and uninstalled, have never even looked at the game since.

• SkullDeepSkullDeep Member UncommonPosts: 15

Tradeskill revamp in eq2. Got banned on forums after telling SoE where they could stick the fuel candles if they would change it. Sold my account and never looked back at any SoE game.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

I rage quit SWG because of NGE (like MANY others).

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

In RF Online (which I didn't play long) the game required you to take your avatar down to some core region and drill for some resource which was needed. I soon discovered that people were drilling while AFK pretty much 24/7 to get this resource.

On the second night with my computer left on and my character drilling I woke up. I just suddenly thought WTF am I doing. I pulled the power on my PC and never logged into the game again.

Edit:

It looks like I'm going to rage quit Aion because their customer service has really let me down big time.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Originally posted by Miner-2049er

In RF Online (which I didn't play long) the game required you to take your avatar down to some core region and drill for some resource which was needed. I soon discovered that people were drilling while AFK pretty much 24/7 to get this resource.

On the second night with my computer left on and my character drilling I woke up. I just suddenly thought WTF am I doing. I pulled the power on my PC and never logged into the game again.

Edit:

It looks like I'm going to rage quit Aion because their customer service has really let me down big time.

I never got that far, because the system was based on the winning race, being the ones that could do the mining, and the time of day that I was able to play, seemed to be when the race of my chr was the looser!

Rohan almost made me quit today. Because it decided I was dead before the combat even started.  eg: I started combat, attacked, tried to use a hp potion, then the monster had three attacks, and it was all over! Pointless playing when the outcome is predetermined...

• Netgamer7kNetgamer7k Member Posts: 62

I wasn't happy with Aion after level 30, and the crafting system wasn't what I expected. It's a Korean based game, and we're not used to the grinds everywhere.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

It's always a slow burn with me.

I've quit game suddenly. EQ2 was one the first time they changed my swashbuckler class. I've been trying to get into DDO but I've not logged on in 3 weeks so I'll probably uninstall it.

Texas Hold'em Poker has only ever been a game I've played with others that I've rage quit. LoL I can't do anything with 3s and 7s 9 times in a damn row.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.