Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is out in 2 months, when is beta?

g0dl355g0dl355 Member UncommonPosts: 357

Like the title states, when do they plan on handing beta invites out? they already said the game would be out in 2 months. Cutting it kinda close if you ask me.

Comments

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Moving to beta for a moment, do you have a start date in mind?

Internally, we're already testing the heck out of the game. We haven't announced the actual date of the start [of closed beta], but it's going to be very soon -- and I mean real soon. The PC one will be first, and we'll start the PlayStation 3 one a little bit after that, and people can start to log in and play and tell us what they think of the game.

Taken from: http://www.massively.com/2010/07/21/exclusive-interview-with-soes-john-smedley-on-the-dcuo-preorder/

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

• komarrkomarr Member UncommonPosts: 214

I will be shocked if the game actually releases on time.

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

~Omar Khayyam

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by komarr

Ditto.. wouldn't surpise me even a tiny bit if it was pushed back to Feb '11.  Haven't seen a game go into beta this close to release and NOT either be pushed back, or suffer from serious problems.  Then again, could be totally wrong, which I really hope I am cause I'm looking forward to this one :)

Exactly.  Ignoring for a moment SOE's history in terms of not thinking things through, there's no way a dev team is going to be able to run even a short beta test and still address all the issues that WILL arise in 3 months.  Particularly in a game with built in balance problems.  Some folks will want a Batman clone and others will want a Superman clone.  The devs will need to find a way to make both options feel close to equally heroic.  Not an easy proposition.  Batfellow: "Dude I just knocked out a mugger with ONE PUNCH!"  Superguy: "Dude, I just knocked out a building with ONE PUNCH!"

~Omar Khayyam

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 145

A lot will depend on if Beta is actually beta and not these playtests that I have seen recent gaames do.  STO technically started closed beta at the end of November, but they used the play test model as opposed to a true beta, and only had about 3 weeks of an actual open beta.  Champions did a similar thing.

DC will need to do an actual beta test with a build that is close to what will be represented on Live.  If they follow the Cryptic Model where they are still adding features that do not get tested up until launch, I cannot imagine the game havinga  good launch.

As it stands right now, it seems that little is known about actual features of gameplay.  The official news lately has been fluff like the trailers and voice actor cast.  Sure that sounds cool, I mean I love Jim Lee's artwork and Mark hamil is fantatsic as the Joker...but is the game itself any good?  $OE can't afford to bank on fluff and launch a game that most people lose interest in after the first month. 

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Not just Cryptic did this.  Seemms to be the norm for most Betas as of late. 

While I understand the Developers need for focused tests, IMO I think they are focusing too much on their focus tests and not enough on bug catching.  It is very hard to conform to their schedule for the beta testing times. 

Having the games run more of a 24/7 with limited or no support after hours is a better model IMO.  You get people who will focus on things and find different issues that the Developers may not have even thought out.  Any BETA that is doing these FOCUS teting schedules should be rated as having an ALPHA test and not BETA.

The Last game I tested that did not have this new FOCUS testing schedule was SWG.  They started with the focus tests when it was an alpha and we were testing core functionality.  Later on it went 24/7 to let players get in their and try to break things.  Not see if 250 people can try to break it and you get players saying it is slow or laggy or whatever.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,010

I have to wonder how much good a beta does an MMORPG game these days. The less I hear about beta, and the more times a company is willing to push back the release date, the more comfortable I feel about trying the game out, honestly.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Pest138Pest138 Member UncommonPosts: 114

I am hoping that they do not follow in Cryptics footsteps with thier testing process for that is the path to "True Mediocrity"!

Both CO and STO are, eh, OK. But OK does not hold peoples attention for long. Sometimes it almost feels as though Cryptic was conducting some sinister test to see just how half-assed a game they could produce and still turn some kind of profit.

Now it seems Sony does not have the best image for the games they produce and run, I didnt lpay any of their previous titles but maybe they have "reformed", it could happen.

Hoping for more from DCUO:-)

Unfortunately part of the blame with the lack of usefulness of beta's must rest with us, the players.  Companies have learned that too many folks don't beta test a game to actually test it.  Instead of exploring the games systems to give feedback and report bugs, a lot of people to find bugs they don't report so they can exploit them on release or to simply get as much advance knowledge so they can win that "all important" race to be the one to scream FIRST TO MAX LEVEL on the forums.

~Omar Khayyam

So Komar, do you think that they are just doing more internal testing and then just using the beta's as more of a stress test for their hardware?

Or, I have this theory, since mmo's have been around for more than a decade now perhaps game studios have access to large lists(thousands) of previous quality beta participants who they use for larger scale internal testing, kind of like a closed alpha/beta hybrid. Maybe??????????????

I really want to believe that since DC has some oversite on all of this they wont stand for a shoddy, unfinished product at release.

The glass is half full, the glass is half full, the glass is half full!!!

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Pest138

So Komar, do you think that they are just doing more internal testing and then just using the beta's as more of a stress test for their hardware?

Or, I have this theory, since mmo's have been around for more than a decade now perhaps game studios have access to large lists(thousands) of previous quality beta participants who they use for larger scale internal testing, kind of like a closed alpha/beta hybrid. Maybe??????????????

I really want to believe that since DC has some oversite on all of this they wont stand for a shoddy, unfinished product at release.

The glass is half full, the glass is half full, the glass is half full!!!

I'll tell ya, the one thing I hope for the most is a clean launch. Nothing like CO's gigantic launch-day nerf that trashed the game.. Not like the game wasn't crap before the patch, but it made it worse.

• AndelithAndelith Member UncommonPosts: 20

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/beta/

This page has been up for over 2 weeks. Beta sign ups began at SDCC. They gave away hundreds of invites at the con. I went to DCUO's website instead mmorpg.com's forums and BIG SHOCK there was a link in the middle of the page that said sign up for beta. Wierd how that works

Well, I think most folks here are aware of all that and have signed up for the beta(I know I have) this thread seems to be more about commenting on the ever narrowing of the gap between when a beta starts and when the game launches.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I get shocked every time a MMO releases in time. This however sounds like DFs first release date, or MOs. A tad bit optimistic...

Some devs just don't count that most things that can mess up do. In reality that always happens.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by gadunk

Ditto.. wouldn't surpise me even a tiny bit if it was pushed back to Feb '11.  Haven't seen a game go into beta this close to release and NOT either be pushed back, or suffer from serious problems.  Then again, could be totally wrong, which I really hope I am cause I'm looking forward to this one :)

FF14s true beta started less than 2 weeks ago and it launches over a month before DCOU.

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

Well, signs up did start a little while ago, so hopefully invites will start going out soon. I've beta tested a ton of games, but none of them have I wanted to test as much as this one.

I'm a huge comics fan and having the opprotunity to bug test this for final product would just be awesome.

I have my misgivings just as everyone else, but I want this game to be good so badly. So, here to hoping I see some folks in beta.

/Pops his head in, looks around, nothing new.

sigh:-/

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

I almost feel like I'm not seeing any new information on this game at all now.

You'd figure we'd start hearing more details about powers, character advancement, and more game mechanics with the beta supposedly about to start. Sure would like to hear more about this.

Originally posted by dnarris

I almost feel like I'm not seeing any new information on this game at all now.

You'd figure we'd start hearing more details about powers, character advancement, and more game mechanics with the beta supposedly about to start. Sure would like to hear more about this.

I have to agree.  There's a lot of chatter, but little substance.  My main fear for this game is that DC and Sony count too much on the IP drawing folks in instead of building a solid game. 

~Omar Khayyam

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

They have said that internal focus testing and bug hunting has been going on forever.  The beta when they release will be more of a demo-beta and server stress test than anything else.  But that is actually a smart thing to do.  These days, when so many people use Betas for early demos, its good to have your beta product as finished as possible...because people WILL be taking videos and posting them and forming opinions etc from the get-go.  Mortal Online is enough of an example of what happens when you release a true Beta phase.

As far as them being stingy with info like powersets, etc, again i'd say a smart decision in this MMO era.  Look what happens when info comes out for other games that aren't released...look at TOR and the Space Combat announcement.  Gamers these days are rabid, and speculate about and judge a games failure or success a year before it even gets released.  More game producers would be smart to keep their lids a little tighter up until release.  Let people judge the final product.

• UnSubUnSub Member Posts: 252

Originally posted by NyQuil81

But that is actually a smart thing to do.

Not really - if the 'stress test' throws up a lot of player complaints, there is no time to fix them before launch.

As I've said elsewhere, it feels like SOE is treating DCUO more like a PS3 console title than a MMO. They've demoed the same areas constantly and have quietly announced cuts to some areas (number of powers available for launch).

• gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112

They invited a few people into beta already.  I guess its more alpha stage, not beta yet.  There has been a small leak that was plugged up rather fast.

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by NovaKayne

Not just Cryptic did this.  Seemms to be the norm for most Betas as of late. 

While I understand the Developers need for focused tests, IMO I think they are focusing too much on their focus tests and not enough on bug catching.  It is very hard to conform to their schedule for the beta testing times. 

Having the games run more of a 24/7 with limited or no support after hours is a better model IMO.  You get people who will focus on things and find different issues that the Developers may not have even thought out.  Any BETA that is doing these FOCUS teting schedules should be rated as having an ALPHA test and not BETA.

The Last game I tested that did not have this new FOCUS testing schedule was SWG.  They started with the focus tests when it was an alpha and we were testing core functionality.  Later on it went 24/7 to let players get in their and try to break things.  Not see if 250 people can try to break it and you get players saying it is slow or laggy or whatever.

Even months after STO release the bugs were so bad i decided to drop game my away team kept vanshing on away missions i call that a pretty serious bug, it happend 90% of the time not just this bug but 20 bugs that were game breaking.

DCU needs to test for bugs hopefully it will not be as bad as sto but without long beta tests, devs are going for pre-order ->beta but with this people are not interested in finding bugs only playing the game, long open betas are needed to iron out major bugs.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

no beta yet? checked my e-mail inbox/junk, nothing yet lol

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

It's supposed to be already going on I think, there was mention about it on the MMOreport lastweek.

You'll only get to test small scale area-style battles with firmiliar premade comicbook characters I hear though.