Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa: Richard Garriott Awarded $28 Million

1235»

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by AlexTheTall

What's crazy is that people has made 100 posts on a dead game. I know there was flaws to that game, but it really looks like people are missing it in some ways! 

Maybe with the recent launches, we realize that TR was a better game we thought at the time and with a little bit more work and patience it could had turned into something great!

Honestly, if the new stuff they threw in on the very last day for players to "celebrate" the game's demise had been put in the game from the beginning, it might have had a chance.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186

So someone finally made money off Tabula Rosa.

• captloki13captloki13 Member UncommonPosts: 14

Finally, gaming justice!

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by snowmirko

Not sure what you tried guys... but the game was laggy all the time and sucked graphically...

Mr Garriot sucked NCsoft money for years and now he continue to do it... He should be ashamed!

More here than anywhere but ncsof and garriot are both money suckers so... ill pass at least they don't do much f2p ... yet.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by ashfallen

So someone finally made money off Tabula Rosa.

lol'd

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Illyssia

Originally posted by Isane

Not sure what you tried guys... but the game was laggy all the time and sucked graphically...

Mr Garriot sucked NCsoft money for years and now he continue to do it... He should be ashamed!

A true visionary that was treated so so bad..... NCsoft wanted his name as part of the Brand not Vice versa.

Lets hope he can get back on the tread mill and deliver us Ultima Online 2....

NAh...his interests are pretty much just space now http://www.richardgarriott.com/news/

so he spent all his previous money on space tourism and now needed more.....so now he has 28 million more to waste on it.....and you guys respect him for leaving his game high and dry to die in a corner....

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by lordessedess

i never lagged once playing it, not once and the graphics were very nice indeed, i doubt theyll feel 28 million though but if they do "ha serves you right for cancelling my favorite game" :P

Never lagged once? Then you never made it to the zone that for about 6 months was so laggy even the TR devs admitted it was broken. I can not recall the name of the actual zone at this point, but the devs eventually fixed it, but the lag was on their end and was documented by them as such.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

i never lagged once playing it, not once and the graphics were very nice indeed, i doubt theyll feel 28 million though but if they do "ha serves you right for cancelling my favorite game" :P

Never lagged once? Then you never made it to the zone that for about 6 months was so laggy even the TR devs admitted it was broken. I can not recall the name of the actual zone at this point, but the devs eventually fixed it, but the lag was on their end and was documented by them as such.

True, and the zone was ironically named "Mires".

Btw, hey Rok :-)

This is Cav from the 47th.

Originally posted by rikwes

Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by Wraithone

Considering the radical changes involved, I've heard that it was NCsoft that demanded the changes, or they would pull the funding.  RG hadf little choice if he wanted to see the game actually launch. It would hardly be the first time that suits have pulled that type of stunt, with horrible results.

I can see that being a possibility.  A lot of game companies right around that time got paniced by what world of warcraft was doing.  Some drastically abandonded their game designs to emulate wow and others did not want to compete with it.

There was to much money riding on the game for NCSoft to allow Garriot to make this change without their blessing and it really does give the impression of a knee jerk decision by a board of directors. 

My suspicion is that NCsoft reckoned releasing a game with RG's name on it would pretty much sell itself regardless of quality and would sell so many copies it would be paying for operating and development costs of upcoming titles in western hemisphere ( including GW 2 ) . When this phantasy didn't come true within weeks of launch they got desperate and started to do all kind of things to the game. They kept on doing that until few months before servers were closed ( at that time they did  have a decent dev team for TR and you saw improvement of quality with each update- those updates came on a weekly basis as well ) and then it was too late.  If you look at the final few weeks you saw that the game was actually becoming "finished "and in the last week they added the "earth deployment ". I still think- also considering the amount of folks who were (re)discovering the game during those last few weeks - that a few more months would have seen the game on the rebound . 

It could have run and be profitable ( or break even ) if they had waited 2-3 months longer. The dev team was capable enough, that much is certain. 

The dev team of TR was most of the problem. Their work was not stellar. The game was not close to finished in any way shape or form. They pushed out the Earth deployment as rushed "we are sorry we put out such a shoddy product". TR had under 20K people playing BEFORE they announced it was closing. NCSoft was part of the problem but in no way were they alone as the cause of TR being what it was, unrealized potential.

Why would they need anything to pay for the developing of GW2? You are aware of how profitable GW was compared to TR the disaster right? Your suspicions are a fantasy all  their own, but quite common from the people at PlanetTR, which IMO was the worst officially unofficial forums for a game ever and part of the problem with TR as a whole.

It could have been run and profitable if they waited 3 months? If you paid any attention tot he facts TR had lost 50% of its player base in the financial quarter BEFORE the closing was announced. Assuming it would have had a rebound big enough to become profitable is fantasy on your part at best.

Originally posted by lkavadas

True, and the zone was ironically named "Mires".

Btw, hey Rok :-)

This is Cav from the 47th.

Hey Cav long time no see. Thanks for recalling the zone, my memory is fading with age.

Whats been going on?

• AkomoAkomo Member Posts: 8

Interesting!I liked Tabula Rasa.I did not like NCsoft when they pulled the plug.I think it was about 1 month after i had signed up for 6 months,that they annouced they were closing it down.Great idea and storyline ,yet NCsoft devs dropped the ball.NCsoft management screws the originator.And with it their chance to crack the MMO market in NA.I gave this asian company a chance and they blew it.Never again.

Ill stick with North American made games thanks.Even Age of Conan is better than what NCsoft puts out.And thats European.

Id rather resub for AoC or Fallen Earth than trust an NCsoft game.

Akomo Combine

Originally posted by Akomo

Interesting!I liked Tabula Rasa.I did not like NCsoft when they pulled the plug.I think it was about 1 month after i had signed up for 6 months,that they annouced they were closing it down.Great idea and storyline ,yet NCsoft devs dropped the ball.NCsoft management screws the originator.And with it their chance to crack the MMO market in NA.I gave this asian company a chance and they blew it.Never again.

Ill stick with North American made games thanks.Even Age of Conan is better than what NCsoft puts out.And thats European.

Akomo Combine

NCSoft has a hand in Guild Wars, they cracked the NA market long before Tabula Rasa. They may not be the main force behind Guild Wars but their name is attached to a much better product then Tabula Rasa ever was.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Akomo Combine

NCSoft has a hand in Guild Wars, they cracked the NA market long before Tabula Rasa. They may not be the main force behind Guild Wars but their name is attached to a much better product then Tabula Rasa ever was.

With more work, TR could have been a much better game.  As for NCsoft  they've demonstrated repeatedly that they have little idea of the difference between the eastern and western markets. Look at Aions retention numbers as just the most recent demonstration of that.  Any way, I quite enjoyed aspects of TR. I ran a sniper and spy up to cap. Its too bad that there wasn't much to do after that.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Wraithone

Akomo Combine

With more work, TR could have been a much better game.  As for NCsoft  they've demonstrated repeatedly that they have little idea of the difference between the eastern and western markets. Look at Aions retention numbers as just the most recent demonstration of that.  Any way, I quite enjoyed aspects of TR. I ran a sniper and spy up to cap. Its too bad that there wasn't much to do after that.

I agree more work would have = better game, but is NCSoft alone in the blame for the fact that this game came out like it did and in a year had barely shown any progress towards getting better? I blame the whole package, RG, dev team and NCSoft for their failures. I think RG spent too much time on his space dream(good for him he got to enjoy his dream but I think his dream ruined the MMO I was playing to a certain extent). The game came out early, they had spent way too much already with no end in sight on the costs.

I give you credit for running a sniper that high. I gave up on mine in the low 40s when I realized that a good baseball outfielder throws a baseball as far as Tabula Rasa devs allowed your sniper rifle to operate. 100 meters or so is not sniper range, that is .22 rifle range with no scope. The fact they blamed the game engine for the limited draw distance always made me wonder if any of them understood what a shooting game was about.