Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Level cap at 80 for GW2

2»

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by lornphoenix

Originally posted by someforumguy

What matters to me is what restrictions the high lvl cap will introduce into the game. I really dont like to see lvlrestricted armour, or lvl differences allowed in PVP. Because then there is the chance that PVP will turn into the unbalanced crap of other MMO's.

If read it right that isn't going to happen.

When you enter a pvp area you are automagically leveled up to 80, and the said something about having access to the same gear while there.

not sure how that is going to work but we will see.

Thats only for the competitive PvP area, which probably is alike the PvP arena's we know from GW. Everyoe has access to the same gear (for free) and the same skills/spells. So that in this kind of PvP player skill is decisive.

In WvWvW (world versus worlds) your level matters and your gear too, and you have only access to the gear and skills you ave accessible in PvE.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

It seems some folks here have been sitting on their ears lately. There will be no grinding even though lv cap is 80. Time required to lvl up from 1 to 2 will be the same as leveling from 79 to 80! It means you'll probably max lvl within a week! Some games require at least a year to do something like this!

In addition - Having a high lvl cap means more types of monsters, more areas, more gameplay...

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Another worry is how itll affect grouping. One of the drawbacks in other MMO's with high lvl cap is that some friend of yours who just started, cant group with you because of a severe xp penalty.  In GW it was very fast to reach lvl cap and the majority of content was for max lvl. The progression was in the story and accumulating skills etc and not some silly abstact xp bar.

They've already stated that players can level down when grouping with lower level players, this means no xp loss and gives higher level players the opportunity to explore lower level content they may have missed.

From the FAQ:

"Also, to allow players the freedom to play together even if their friends are at a much higher (or lower) level, we are planning to implement a strong sidekick system, similar to that used in City of Heroes™."

Looks like some of the design issues that have plagued other MMO's eg levels fragmenting groups/friends/community-building to their detriment are being seriously looked into, here.

Also gaining increased xp through "Feats" is another rate of levelling trick they are implementing.

Originally posted by thedarkess

It seems some folks here have been sitting on their ears lately. There will be no grinding even though lv cap is 80. Time required to lvl up from 1 to 2 will be the same as leveling from 79 to 80! It means you'll probably max lvl within a week! Some games require at least a year to do something like this!

In addition - Having a high lvl cap means more types of monsters, more areas, more gameplay...

You do the math... it takes a few hours to reach level 2...  Stated in one of the articles.  So if few equals 3 then it takes 240 hours of gameplay to reach max level.   Thats /played = 10 days... at release.  when people know the ins and outs of the game leveling will go 2 to 3 times as fast.   

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

IMO this is more good news on the GW2 front.  I personally like gaining levels for the purpose of seeing my character advance not as a sign of an achievement.   I like the feeling of gaining a level simply because it is receiving some positive feedback from the system.  Leveling to me is generally just an indication of time played anyway, not of any real accomplishment.  In the vast majority of games one can level to max level while wiping every single party you join and being a total fail as a player.  This is why I don't put much stock in levels.  Personally, I find achievement and accomplishment to come in the form of downing difficult pve content, which has its own rewards and visual cues to others outside of a level number, and whooping opponents behinds in pvp.  In addition, leveling tends to be what everyone rushes and grinds through anyway, so why not take the focus off the numbers and put it back on the content.

Steam: Neph

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

What matters to me is what restrictions the high lvl cap will introduce into the game. I really dont like to see lvlrestricted armour, or lvl differences allowed in PVP. Because then there is the chance that PVP will turn into the unbalanced crap of other MMO's.

When you enter a pvp area you are automagically leveled up to 80, and the said something about having access to the same gear while there.

Thats only for the competitive PvP area, which probably is alike the PvP arena's we know from GW. Everyoe has access to the same gear (for free) and the same skills/spells. So that in this kind of PvP player skill is decisive.

In WvWvW (world versus worlds) your level matters and your gear too, and you have only access to the gear and skills you ave accessible in PvE.

True, but WvWvW PvP will be objective-based, where even the tiniest noob can potentially have an impact by carrying things/firing catapaults/etc., rather than open-world ganking first-shot wins kind of PvP. (At least, that's the plan - how this will actually play out remains to be seen, ofc.)

Originally posted by sidhaethe

True, but WvWvW PvP will be objective-based, where even the tiniest noob can potentially have an impact by carrying things/firing catapaults/etc., rather than open-world ganking first-shot wins kind of PvP. (At least, that's the plan - how this will actually play out remains to be seen, ofc.)

Seems we agree on that too

• NeyonNeyon Member Posts: 197

Originally posted by Devalon

Also Once i hit level 2 that took me 3-4 hours(they said few =/ ). Im going to say. I got to go through 78 more of these!? Why do games have such high number of levels. I expect a unique spell every level.

If it took you 3-4 hours to get to level 2 in GW1 I think it is safe to say you are the single worst MMO player there has ever been and ever will be.

------------------------------

• Blink7Blink7 Member Posts: 26

I'm actually excited that the level cap is higher. Getting to level 20 was just too easy. You couldn't even get halfway through one of the stories before level capping. Guild Wars tells such a good story that leveling will be fun, you won't even notice that you have leveled!

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

I'm not a fan of levels but I like the way they handled it in this game + it has no significance in PVP.

level + gear-wise all are equial in PVP.

I still can't find anything I don't like about this game.

It is going to be the first game ever that I pre-ordered.

I made up my mind that's it.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

This is probably the most vague of the information they've put out so far on GW2.  It leaves a lot of questions, so I hope they do a follow up Q&A like they have for other subjects.

How do they propose to make levels take roughly the same amount of time while admitting that people have different playstyles?  Are they going to place artificial limits on the xp you can gain from killing mobs and such that will somehow equalize the rate at which people progress?  Are they going to dynamically adjust the xp you earn from things, so that you'll earn as much xp from doing 2 quests in an hour as you would 10 quests in that amount of time?  Are we going to be fed xp just for being logged in?

I wish they had given some sort of example...

It's nice to say that people won't be focusing on leveling, but it seems to me that simply having a level cap creates incentive to reach that cap, and what the player chooses to focus on while achieving that goal is largely a matter of individual perspective.  Unless players are somehow forced to level at specific rates and no amount of effort on their part can change, then I don't see how community reactions will be any different from what we've come to expect for other mmos.  Some will simply power grind their way to max level with no care for content, and others will take their time (the kind of people that wouldn't care about speed of leveling in any game anyway).

I guess we'll see how this shakes out - hoping for a clearer illustration on this subject soon.

Originally posted by Benjola

I'm not a fan of levels but I like the way they handled it in this game + it has no significance in PVP.

level + gear-wise all are equial in PVP.

I still can't find anything I don't like about this game.

It is going to be the first game ever that I pre-ordered.

I made up my mind that's it.

There is 2 kinds of PvP... Competitive PvP in arena's and the like according tou your description.

There is also World versus world PvP, and thats kind of like DAoC in an advanced RvR setting. Here gear and level obviously means a thing

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by twrule

This is probably the most vague of the information they've put out so far on GW2.  It leaves a lot of questions, so I hope they do a follow up Q&A like they have for other subjects.

How do they propose to make levels take roughly the same amount of time while admitting that people have different playstyles?  Are they going to place artificial limits on the xp you can gain from killing mobs and such that will somehow equalize the rate at which people progress?  Are they going to dynamically adjust the xp you earn from things, so that you'll earn as much xp from doing 2 quests in an hour as you would 10 quests in that amount of time?  Are we going to be fed xp just for being logged in?

I wish they had given some sort of example...

I guess we'll see how this shakes out - hoping for a clearer illustration on this subject soon.

It's a teaser for sure.

I'm trying to guess if it will work by a semi-progession stake with your story as well as, also  "fill up a level pie" with different xp from different means, together with various counters and measures for levels moving into higher/lower levels or repetitions of quests and such like smallprint etc etc. This would reduce grind but still be open to speed-levellers??

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Well, the blog does say that it will be possible to take one's time as a casual gamer, or speed through content as a hardcore gamer, so I can only assume from that that exp/leveling speed will be tied to amount of content consumed. (recall that they also said there will no quests as we know them in the game)

So, kill 100 mobs = progress farther than killing 10, and as you level, the time to kill stays relatively equal, so at level 60 you can kill 100 mobs in roughly the same amount of time that you could at level 10. So a hardcore player, one who just runs from mob to mob to mob in pursuit of max level, will get there at a consistent rate, while someone who pursues their personal story + events on the way will also level at a relatively consistent rate *for them*.

This is how I picture it, at any rate.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by twrule

Nowhere are they saying that all playstyles must level at the same pace through the game. All they say is that a certain playstyle will take roughly the same time to reach each level. If you one day play the game hardcore and the next day, casual, there may be a big difference in your leveling pace. They do have a thing in the game called 'Feats', which are small daily quests that automatically run in the background and are meant to help casual gamers abit along the way. They say it's somewhat like rested experience in other games, but we'll have to wait and see how that works out.

• hristin_icohristin_ico Member Posts: 17

• hristin_icohristin_ico Member Posts: 17

They're telling us no grind. Yeah right. How the fuck are they going to fill up our time with 80 levels of content?

Most games today is difficult to fill in 30 hours of unique fun gameplay.

Now WTF is the point of having 80 levels? Does every class get 80 or more unique spells?

Also Once i hit level 2 that took me 3-4 hours(they said few =/ ). Im going to say. I got to go through 78 more of these!? Why do games have such high number of levels. I expect a unique spell every level.

No, you're wrong. You're talking about nonsense. Just read it  http://www.arenanet.com/blog/progression-and-leveling-in-guild-wars-2.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

Even if it were to take 2 - 3 hours per level.....Then its 160 - 240 hours to reach level 80...which still is a lot smaller than the majority of RPGs out there. The entire game is soloable too....which is something I like. If I want a party, I can look for one. If I want to solo, I have the option unlike most MMORPGs where after a certain level your character is too weak and you blow 1 - 2 hours finding a party or being forced to play nice to some 15 - 20 year old's guild or clan...

I know people who spend 4 - 6 months on the same character playing 8 - 12 hours a day before reaching max level and still don't have max equipment. Nothing like burning time away! At the very least you can set your own pace in Guild Wars II since they don't have subscription fees.

• morritzmorritz Member Posts: 28

Without knowing how long it takes to level, how that length scales as you level up, etc., the number 80 might as well be 8 or 800.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by morritz

Without knowing how long it takes to level, how that length scales as you level up, etc., the number 80 might as well be 8 or 800.

We do know how the length of levels scale, it doesn't. That's what the graph in the blog-post showed. The only unknown is how long a level will take.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by hristin_ico

They're telling us no grind. Yeah right. How the fuck are they going to fill up our time with 80 levels of content?

Most games today is difficult to fill in 30 hours of unique fun gameplay.

Now WTF is the point of having 80 levels? Does every class get 80 or more unique spells?

No, you're wrong. You're talking about nonsense. Just read it  http://www.arenanet.com/blog/progression-and-leveling-in-guild-wars-2.

Also dont forget that in GW1 over half on content was on "max lvl". Character progressed further too.I realy liked it. Also GW1 ahd realy nice item system. You could gear with pve char in week, only thing you wanted was skins. So i suspect same will be here. Max lvl and you hunt skills, skins do pvp and other things.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

An Anet representative stated on Guild Wars 2 Guru that they'll be releasing an update chart soon that should answer some of our questions.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

You do the math... it takes a few hours to reach level 2...  Stated in one of the articles.  So if few equals 3 then it takes 240 hours of gameplay to reach max level.   Thats /played = 10 days... at release.  when people know the ins and outs of the game leveling will go 2 to 3 times as fast.   

True but remember that's one personal story with some events completed. There's at least 5 completely different personal stories with likwly a lot more if you take into account the variations in the 10 questions and choice's in the game, so although you'll know the generall ways level faster such as feats etc you probably won't know the specific ways of say doing quests faster unless you pick a personal story very similar to the one played first. 

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by Warband

True but remember that's one personal story with some events completed. There's at least 5 completely different personal stories with likwly a lot more if you take into account the variations in the 10 questions and choice's in the game, so although you'll know the generall ways level faster such as feats etc you probably won't know the specific ways of say doing quests faster unless you pick a personal story very similar to the one played first. 

There is also the Personality system in the game that should mix things up a bit.  Similar to RPGs you can provide different responses and actions towards NPCs that affect their responses towards you.  This should add some varied gameplay for having alts.  In addition, making the leveling curve flat or short also increases my own, and probably others, capabilities to have viable alts due to shorter leveling time.  GW1 was the last game where I was able to have a character of every single class at max level with high quality gear/runes/etc.

Steam: Neph