Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The mediocre penalties of death.

SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

I find another fun factor in EQII. You don't have to slave away for hours, only to die and lose half of the exp you gained! However, you merely get an experience debt. Until the debt is paid back (let's say a death gives you 5% debt) you get half of the experience you would usually (get 10% to pay back the 5%)

however, I'm sure everyone here knows this, as I knew back in beta. The interesting part is that, if you are out of game, and you have debt...

the debt slowly diminishes. It has happened to me on several occasions, one time I even lost 45% debt just by not logging in during the night.

It's great! I love it! I don't see this "harsh penalties of death" so many people here keep talking about...but I see mere mediocre penalties.

If you get your shard back, you have nothing to worry about! Hell, even if you don't get your shard, just wait three days, the penalties of a lost shard are gone!

Comments

• KugelnKugeln Member Posts: 151
    thanks for a more detailed info on death :) i have heard about droping a shard when u die but thats it nothing gone into detail i don't have the game till tomorrow but i think im gonna love it :)

• SoranSoran Member Posts: 9
    Yes, I like it much better than losing xp/levels. The only thing I do not like is how if I die 4 times and cannot get my shards, I am a gimp character.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by MurtBijani

the debt slowly diminishes. It has happened to me on several occasions, one time I even lost 45% debt just by not logging in during the night.

Holy crap Murt!!! 45% debt!!! Remind me never to group with you..lol. Ive only died 4 times with my 15 Warrior.

• AjillityAjillity Member Posts: 1

I'm level 11 now, but I vividly recall dying on the starter island.  Despite having followed all of the tutorial and having some basic mpog experience, I was confused.  I had no idea how to go about retrieving my shard or making any sense of the situation.  It was especially challenging because my shard was being guarded by a razortooth shark that could travel on land! 

Just my 2 cents, that this is an area that could definitely use some more introductory explanation from the developers.  If I didn't know a more expierenced player to dig me out of this situation, I might have dropped the game early on.  That was certainly the biggest hurdle I have encountered in EQII, and should mention that my subsequent experiences were much more positive and rewarding.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Soran
    Yes, I like it much better than losing xp/levels. The only thing I do not like is how if I die 4 times and cannot get my shards, I am a gimp character.

You lose 4 shards  and you need to seriously evaluate your playing style image. I lost one when I ran off the edge of a pad in the mage tower and landed on a ledgeimage. One of my guidies decide one shard was a lost cause when he sprinted blindly from a mob into a whole mess of even worse ones. Otherwise unless you run off a cliff or are in really deep water they are pretty easy to get back. I have sprinted through a bunch of orange con aggros and managed to escape with my shard once, although that was probably a dumb idea. Anyway if you lose 4 make a alt or something.

Originally posted by Flem

Holy crap Murt!!! 45% debt!!! Remind me never to group with you..lol. Ive only died 4 times with my 15 Warrior.

oops saw this and had to reply on this one also. If you die at 80% of the next level for example and incur 5% debt the death penalty will read 85% if you hover your mouse over it. It does not mean you have 85% debt just that your debt reaches the 85% percentile. The first time I noticed that in beta it was like at 95% or something and I darn near shit myself until I figured out what was happening.

I miss DAoC

• SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

Yeah at one point I had a little pile of debt built up when I camped. Much to my suprise when I logged back in it was gone! Awesome system IMO.

• hodge12hodge12 Member Posts: 99

So if you die a lot you have to restart your character.

Sounds harsh.

Poopoo

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

You have to set the world record for stupidity and deaths to have to restart a character.  And in any event the correct solution would be to learn to play better, or perhaps take up a less challenging hobby - maybe knitting.

The EQ2 death penalty is way too light. Give me the old loss of exp and levels and potential loss of equipment any day.  Separates the men from the boys image

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627
    I haven't noticed debt slowly going away while offline, however, what I have noticed is that each time they patch, it's wiped by debt clean.  No matter how much debt I've had, when I log off before a patch and then log back in afterwards, I am debt free.
  • dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by Jackdog

oops saw this and had to reply on this one also. If you die at 80% of the next level for example and incur 5% debt the death penalty will read 85% if you hover your mouse over it. It does not mean you have 85% debt just that your debt reaches the 85% percentile. The first time I noticed that in beta it was like at 95% or something and I darn near shit myself until I figured out what was happening.

A guy in my guild was approaching debt of 200%.  Also, the debt bar is still buggy.  Sometimes when you get debt and then you kill some more things, you'll see your debt increasing instead of decreasing.  Not sure why this occurs, but it's just a visual bug.  You are still working it off despite what the bar says because relogging shows the debt has gone down.
  • SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Originally posted by Flem

Bah, I know people that have had like 150%..lol

but I'm 6th in my guild for kills over death ratio

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/pplayer.vm?characterId=221846201

Name Murt
    Server Befallen
    City Alignment Freeport
    Created November 13, 2004

Race Barbarian
    Class Shadow Knight
    Level 22
    Artisan Class Artisan
    Artisan Level 3

Last Death
    Last Killed By
    Zone
    Guild Desolation
    Join Date November 13, 2004
    Member # 47

Health 1,162
    Power 661
    Attack 346
    Defense 877

Strength 69
    Agility 38
    Stamina 64
    Intelligence 60
    Wisdom 27

Cold Resist 99
    Heat Resist 198
    Poison Resist 259
    Disease Resist 212
    Magic Resist 149
    Divine Resist 84
    Mental Resist 101

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Originally posted by Jackdog

yea that's correct

I subtract the experience from debt..and that's what I reffer to as my debt amount.

That would be horrendous if the red number was only debt, lol

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

The only problem I have with the actual death system is the DECAY part, at least decay is only when you die...

But decay IS A SETBACK, if someone die a lot...

- "Solo is, will always be, the main market. A MMORPG that succeed with little or no solo appeal is doing great considering they are ignoring the main player base.''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren