Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you return IF????

mikejm78mikejm78 Member Posts: 22

In light of recent news of SOE making EQ2 free to play I was wondering…

If SOE decided to make SWG free to play how many people would return to the game?

Please put aside any hard feelings and no attacking SOE or the game.

I will start this off.

Yes, I would enjoy a free to play SWG.

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by mikejm78

If SOE decided to make SWG free to play how many people would return to the game?

I will start this off.

I would not. I don't have hard feelings. Its one of the most vast and in-depth games. But I have performance problems with the game I just cant get over - Runs worse on medium settings than Age of Conan on high. Even with a very low ping.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Not sure how they could make it F2P without having cash shop items that would have stats etc.. which they are doing in EQ2 anyway I guess.  So while I might play it now with a regular sub. . if they did F2P I would actually not play.

EDIT:  actually if they used a LOTR model where you "pay as you go" for content then I would. . since they have it level based etc.  If they use the EQ2 model where for the same price as a sub $14.99 you can have less access then someone on a regular server for $14.99 then no.  I was thinking of the way the game used to be where you could travel anywhere and still take missions etc.  I wasn't sure how they would sell content. . but with the way the game is now they could.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

Nope...NGE killed the game for me.  No 32 profession no return

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by mikejm78

I will start this off.

No, I would not play SWG under a F2P situation such as EQ2 will soon have.

I miss SWG in many ways (I mean I REALLY miss it and want to resub again), but I would not play SWG under any circumstances (there is one extremely remote possible way).

Exactly why I won't I can not discuss since you have tied my hands and duck tapped my mouth by setting conditions in this thread as to what we can and cannot write here. Your Thread, your decision, I respect that.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

NGE is NGE. I wouldn't play it even if it were free.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by Ceridith

NGE is NGE. I wouldn't play it even if it were free.

Sorry but, ditto.  Too many new shineys coming out to worry or speculate on a free version of a game that was mutilated ( IMO ) being worth even the download.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

No. I mean, why? Money was never an issue with this game as far as not playing it. I wanted to give them money for a pre NGE SWG. They basically told me they didn't want my money. *shrug*

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I might go back if it was f2p, just to dabble...same as EQ2.  But a lot of the game mechanics that made the game so compelling were removed with NGE.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Terranah

I might go back if it was f2p, just to dabble...same as EQ2.  But a lot of the game mechanics that made the game so compelling were removed with NGE.

I think they would be further removed with a F2P SWG. Crafters would need to be controlled...as it stands now, the TCG (essentially the current "cash shop") doesn't offer any "must have" items and "must have" items are what drive cash shops.

As for me...possibly. I'll never pay SoE another cent, so this is the only way I'd ever log back in to SWG...don't see it happening though.

• TehJackalTehJackal Member Posts: 98

I wouldnt either... I have retired from SWG after giving it a good few years of my life off and on. Only thing that makes me want to go back is player bounties... that is the best thing that was ever done in an MMO period. System was great even with the people hiding in safe houses and such... it really was like Bounty Hunting.

Other than the fact the game has now turned into a real buff whore I cant even force my self to even click on the emails I occasionally get such as the "Come join us for our 7 year anniversary" BS >.<

• HanloHanlo Member Posts: 7

I would not.  It isn't SWG.  It is NGE,  not the same thing.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Free NGE SWG is like free shit. Its free, but its still shit.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Originally posted by JerYnkFan

Nope...NGE killed the game for me.  No 32 profession no return

This.

It's Pre-Cu or nothing.

• MistmouseMistmouse Member Posts: 91

Same for me bring back the game pre- CU and I would be right back . SWG was the only game I have ever played  that I truly enjoyed crafting more than combat. I still miss my wookie  musician/chief.

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

It would have to be:

* a fresh server - no transfers to upset the balance

* Pre-CU code

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I wouldn't be interested. The cash shop would be in direct competition with the dedicated crafting professions, but like the TCG loot cards, the cash shop would have the more desirable items. Knowing $OE, I also fear  a F2P version of SWG would be far too centererd on the cash shop.

If NGE version of SWG didn't make me happy, why would a F2P version where I would be nickle and dimed make me happy? I could see this bringing more players to the struggling servers now, but there just isn't enough in the game to keep folks in the long run, especially with TOR around the corner.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Not sure how they could make it F2P without having cash shop items that would have stats etc.. which they are doing in EQ2 anyway I guess.  So while I might play it now with a regular sub. . if they did F2P I would actually not play.

EDIT:  actually if they used a LOTR model where you "pay as you go" for content then I would. . since they have it level based etc.  If they use the EQ2 model where for the same price as a sub $14.99 you can have less access then someone on a regular server for $14.99 then no.  I was thinking of the way the game used to be where you could travel anywhere and still take missions etc.  I wasn't sure how they would sell content. . but with the way the game is now they could.

I'm not sure how that would work for someone like me who has/had 3 Accounts with 4 Level Capped toons...Paying to enter the new Village maybe? Even though I've run Instances on all 4 Characters? Who knows...

To the OP's question I would have to answer yes, but only in theory...It would have to be the right F2P and I would need to have access to everything I've earned up to this point...If it was starting all over again I kinda doubt it...I would only do that if most of My Guild went back as well...Let's face it...Most of us are only talking about what if's until SWTOR comes out...After that we all know where we will be...At least initially...image

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

No. I mean, why? Money was never an issue with this game as far as not playing it. I wanted to give them money for a pre NGE SWG. They basically told me they didn't want my money. *shrug*

For me money became the main issue...Not that there were not other issues, and definitely not that I could not afford it...But the fact that I had to pay for 3 accounts to have 6 Characters on the same Server well...In this day and age it's such a HUGE rip-off...The value is just not there...I can have 9 Characters per Server on AoC for $7.50 a month when I buy 60 day Game Cards, and 9 on LOTRO for $10 a month with a 3 month Sub Plan...SWG is a monster rip-off in this day-and-age of MMO's...

I think one way SOE could breathe a little life in immediately would be to open up the Accounts to 8 toons Per Server and allow Free Account Transfers for 60 days...At least it would only cost me $15 a Month to keep my 6 toons active...That would bring them up equal to the competition value-wise at least...I would definitely consider that...I spend more than that a Month on nothing...image

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

No:

1. turning the nge f2p won't make it a decent game.

2. its still run by soe.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Personally, I don't think the $15 a month sub fee is what's keeping people from this game.

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302

If the F2P option allowed you to go past the initial station, then I could see myslef at least checking out the game again.  I wouldn't mind see what the story teller elements are all about.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by Surfrider

If the F2P option allowed you to go past the initial station, then I could see myslef at least checking out the game again.  I wouldn't mind see what the story teller elements are all about.

You can leave the station with the current 14 day trial as it is. Have at'r.

• SandboxGamerSandboxGamer Member Posts: 13

I wouldn't go back even if John Smedley called me personally and asked me WHICH version of Pre-CU I'd prefer, it's been way too long and doing so at this point would be an insultingly cynical gesture.

And certainly I'd not  go back to play it on the EQ2 "Fleeced To Play" scheme, which if you look at the costs involved very easily makes it the most expensive "free" to play game there is.

Simply put, the bridge of trust with SOE was burnt down, chopped up, recycled, used as catbox filler, then buried in a landfill LONG ago for me to not only never consider SWG again, but anything SOE out out.

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

If it went f2p , I would go on there to kill some time when bored. I would have to be real bored, because that game has become a bore fest in itself.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Without Station Cash, SWG could not be F2P. 

John Smedley: "...The conclusion that we came to is that StationCash won’t go into Star Wars Galaxies"

For anyone looking to try out SWG at the high end, you can create a Trial account and log into Test Center where you can use Character Builder terminals to set your characters level instantly to 90 (bypassing the level limitation of the trial) and kit them out with all the uber gear and endgame items.

Test Center has a low population as it is not always online, if you find the game to your liking then you can hop over to a live server and level up.