Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera gameplay looks bad

12346»

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by stayontarget

Yea Frogster did drop small hints about the political system but not enough for you to come to that conclusion....

I didn't notice Frogster's comments.

I was reading off of Massively.

Yea and who do you think they got that info from...Frogster Rep,  Who in turn Knows very little.

Everything the Tera community knows so far is in here,  and again all this from a frogster demo rep.

http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9516

You can find the Community Director & Senior Community Manager's post on page 3 & 4.

Until Bluehole releases the info, everything else is pure speculation.

And that goes for me, you, massively and that frogster twit.

What this does give us is some basic understanding in the direction BHS is taking with the Political system.

Speculate away....nothing wrong with that,  Just don't come off as stating it as fact.

Edit:

Here are the two features on massively that talkes about the political system.

http://www.massively.com/2010/08/23/tera-fan-video-uncovers-political-system-info/

http://www.massively.com/2010/07/22/teras-jason-mical-teases-politics-group-balancing/

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Speculate away....nothing wrong with that,  Just don't come off as stating it as fact.

I must have forgotten to remove the "This Is All Facts" from the post I made.

Oh wait... :)

Edit: Those two links you provided at the end.. I had read already, but thanks anyways if that was for me. ^^

• YarlyYarly Member Posts: 53

I agree with the OP, it looks very dull.

Guild Wars 2!

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I think, based on the trailer that the OP linked at the beginning of this thread, that the combat looks very good.  Also, it doesn't look like there was any auto-lock feature, forcing players to aim their cross-hair (for lack of a better word) at the mobs they were fighting.  In typical mob fashion, the mobs were very easily killed, but the fact that the moves are based on aiming looks cool. 

Also, that huge slow moving land orb thing that did a shit load of damage looks awesome!  Unique abilities like that are what makes gameplay exciting. 

I think if I had to compare this trailer with the combat one released by Bioware for SW:TOR, I would say Tera's is better.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

I must have forgotten to remove the "This Is All Facts" from the post I made.

Oh wait... :)
    Edit: Those two links you provided at the end.. I had read already, but thanks anyways if that was for me. ^^

Your quote I believe:
    In Tera they just released some info on their political system and it has Kings, Lords, Barons and such that is rated on how many points you achieve through pvp and they will recieve special abilities that allow them to.. err...???
    Looks like you worded that as fact to me!!  and my point is how did you come to that conclusion based on the info or lack of info that was released.
    Go back to GW's troll.

From the Massively article I read:

"Among them are the fact that the system currently features lordships and kingships. TERA's world is divided into regions that will be able to elect a lord via citizen vote and also via an unspecified PvP mechanic. Details on citizenship and voting privileges were sketchy, and it seems the system is still under heavy development.

Once a lordship is obtained, players may then apply for kingship, which also features an election mechanic and grants sovereignty over a particular city. Kings also control taxes and have an unspecified level of control over how monsters spawn in their part of the world. Check out the video after the cut or the full series at Glimpse Dog."

Troll? I think not.

I merely reporting what I read and what I already know of AION. After that, I made a opinion about how they will be pretty similar in many respects, especially with the same engine as someone said and the same NCsoft execs behind the decision making process. I never said factus of any kind.. that article did. Strange yo link things, but don't READ them first.

Your namecalling shows you are losing control. Please don't resort to insults when you are losing an internet argument.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

In Tera's defense, it's not using the same engine as Aion. As you might've missed, since it was stated by another soul here as well.

Aion uses CryEngine, while Tera uses the more recently developed  U3 engine. (UnrealEngine 3)

I've experienced both games first-hand. I've had lots of gametime behind both games, and from my experience I can tell you this. My first thought was exactly as yours, "it has a lot of resemblance with Aion and it looks very, very similar". While I can agree that there is similarity, Tera's world design is beyond Aion's in so many levels. It really takes to experience it to really notice it, the world is so much more detailed and thorough. I thought Aion was a beautiful game, but Tera is on a whole other level. (In my opinion)

Also, not to be forgotten, the gameplay doesn't necessarily looks gamebreaking when you're watching videos at Youtube. But believe me, it is. It's true, it's been done before, like Darkfall for example, as some of you mentioned. However, that's an unfair comparison in my opinion. Tera's combat and gameplay is so much more smooth and polished, which makes it a lot more fun.

Now I'm not bashing Darkfall at all, it's a great game on many aspects. I'm just telling you that the combat between the games, while somewhat similar, is still very different from eachother. Tera's responsiveness and sense of impact is unbeatable if you ask me. It's probably the best I've experienced, and again, all my opinions and they may differ a lot from yours. Just saying. :)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Lorgarn

In Tera's defense, it's not using the same engine as Aion. As you might've missed, since it was stated by another soul here as well.

Aion uses CryEngine, while Tera uses the more recently developed  U3 engine. (UnrealEngine 3)

I've experienced both games first-hand. I've had lots of gametime behind both games, and from my experience I can tell you this. My first thought was exactly as yours, "it has a lot of resemblance with Aion and it looks very, very similar". While I can agree that there is similarity, Tera's world design is beyond Aion's in so many levels. It really takes to experience it to really notice it, the world is so much more detailed and thorough. I thought Aion was a beautiful game, but Tera is on a whole other level. (In my opinion)

Also, not to be forgotten, the gameplay doesn't necessarily looks gamebreaking when you're watching videos at Youtube. But believe me, it is. It's true, it's been done before, like Darkfall for example, as some of you mentioned. However, that's an unfair comparison in my opinion. Tera's combat and gameplay is so much more smooth and polished, which makes it a lot more fun.

Now I'm not bashing Darkfall at all, it's a great game on many aspects. I'm just telling you that the combat between the games, while somewhat similar, is still very different from eachother. Tera's responsiveness and sense of impact is unbeatable if you ask me. It's probably the best I've experienced, and again, all my opinions and they may differ a lot from yours. Just saying. :)

Can't compare the games for obvious reasons but I play Darkfall and that video (and others) have left me seriously nonplussed about Tera tbh.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Can't compare the games for obvious reasons but I play Darkfall and that video (and others) have left me seriously nonplussed about Tera tbh.

Darkfall is garbage in comparison to TERA. I dropped Darkfall after playing it for 2 mins.

Originally posted by Sector13

Darkfall is garbage in comparison to TERA. I dropped Darkfall after playing it for 2 mins.

So a game that isn't out is better then a game you've not really played? Don't take offense but i'll take your opinion with a pinch of salt.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I personally think this game looks great. The graphics, the style, the fighting. I can't say it will be the best mmo out or anything because I haven't tried it. I thought Aion was gunna be amazing and look at what happened there. I'll just say I have high hopes for this. If you don't think that game looks good thats your opinion, but I think it looks great and has the most potential of any MMO soon to be out(even though starwars and rift look awesome as well).

Originally posted by deathlylink

I personally think this game looks great. The graphics, the style, the fighting. I can't say it will be the best mmo out or anything because I haven't tried it. I thought Aion was gunna be amazing and look at what happened there. I'll just say I have high hopes for this. If you don't think that game looks good thats your opinion, but I think it looks great and has the most potential of any MMO soon to be out(even though starwars and rift look awesome as well).

Oh don't get me wrong, it looks bad to me (and i cant even put my finger on why) but thats just my personal opinion. The 'look' of a game is very person specific and there are many people like yourself who seem to love the look of it. I've not played it (obviously) so I wont say it's going to be a bad game or a good game, but I will question when some people already catagorically state its going to wtfpwn current games.

Time will tell, whilst I more then likely wont be playing it, I hope its fantastic for those that do, the more great mmos there are on the market the better.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Sector13

So a game that isn't out is better then a game you've not really played? Don't take offense but i'll take your opinion with a pinch of salt.

I played Darkfall long enough to know I didn't like it which was generally longer then 2 mins, was exaggerating and even though its not out yet, I have played TERA. I always judge games based on playing them and I liked playing TERA a lot more.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Originally posted by bastionix

The first videos of the boss fights were impressive. But as usual it was set up to look really good, in actuality the gameplay seems like any other MMO, and a pretty bad one at that. This video show what looks like very unresponsive and amateuristic combat scenes:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-10-t-e-r-a/702169

I dont know how you can say that at all. If you actually watch more videos it clearly shows that this is not your standard mmo. yes there are action bars but it is made to be fully custamizable to a 360 controller if you want. When fighting impact means you hit and if it jumps outa the way you miss. this game is nothing like aion or wow its live action. sure it doesnt look as fast as say Vindictus but Vindictus is a hack and slash this is a skill based mmo.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by TheHavok

I think, based on the trailer that the OP linked at the beginning of this thread, that the combat looks very good.  Also, it doesn't look like there was any auto-lock feature, forcing players to aim their cross-hair (for lack of a better word) at the mobs they were fighting.  In typical mob fashion, the mobs were very easily killed, but the fact that the moves are based on aiming looks cool. 

Also, that huge slow moving land orb thing that did a shit load of damage looks awesome!  Unique abilities like that are what makes gameplay exciting. 

I think if I had to compare this trailer with the combat one released by Bioware for SW:TOR, I would say Tera's is better.

Having gotten to play the game for a bit myself, what you are saying is true.

There is no locked combat, you move your crosshair where you want to shoot and you shoot. As a mage same thing, and yes the giant orb is fun but slow moving so when fighting other players who are paying attention, they will move out of the way and laugh at you.

It is very dynamic combat, when a swing is coming at you you don't wait for a dodge roll, you have to dodge. If you don't you are hit, if you do move out of the way then it misses you. You have a dodge button on certainly classes that makes your character jump/roll to the side for quick dodges.

It was very fun combat unlike EQ/WoW style combat. It speaks to me because I play Asheron's Call where you can move out of the way of someone's spell or arrow and I love that type of combat far more then what has become the traditional MMO combat of things auto track and it's all down to skill rolls. I like to be engaged, paying attention and jumping out of the way of things instead of standing still pushing 2 3 2 4 2 2 5 2 3 over and over again in boring tedious combat.

I will say outside of the combat the game was slow when I played it, there weren't many quest quests (was almost entirely go kill 10 of X) but I imagine all that stuff is being added in and will be there on release. The world was nice looking, but once again when I played there were some outposts but not much else filling the world, and once again I would expect that to all be the stuff that is getting added in.

Overall, if they get in quests and points of interest etc., the game will certainly be fun and entertaining. I imagine big PvP battles would be a blast with cross shots and all the action you have to pay attention to. One character (i tried all the classes) got an AoE attack which was a blast in PvE. This is because, once again much like Asheron's Call, the PvE combat was much more about fighting groups of creatures at a time instead of fighting 1 on 1 at a time like the boring MMOs out there.

Basically this game seems to have taken several of the combat elements from Asheron's Call that I like and put them into a new game. It is missing many of the other elements that make AC so great, but it took long enough for a game to realize they should do combat the AC way.

• noobletonoobleto Member Posts: 33

The base idea of the combat looks super fun. I have to agree with the thread starter on one thing though, the npcs just kinda stand there and dont seem to really be very challenging.

Playing:
    Lotro
    Have Played:
    EQII,DAOC,SWG,COH,EQ,DDO, Lotro,AoC, EvE,Guild Wars,
    Silkroad Online,Aion,and WoW
    Favorite of all time: WoW
    Waiting on:Swtor,Gw2, and Tera

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by noobleto

The base idea of the combat looks super fun. I have to agree with the thread starter on one thing though, the npcs just kinda stand there and dont seem to really be very challenging.

Depends on the mob your fighting and your class choice also maybe taken into account for the difficulty of certain mobs. Solo the instance boss near the end of newbie island if you want a challange. I did it with 2 different classes, the warrior and archer and it was a lot easier as the warrior. With the archer I died twice before beating him.

From the Massively article I read:

"Among them are the fact that the system currently features lordships and kingships. TERA's world is divided into regions that will be able to elect a lord via citizen vote and also via an unspecified PvP mechanic. Details on citizenship and voting privileges were sketchy, and it seems the system is still under heavy development.

Once a lordship is obtained, players may then apply for kingship, which also features an election mechanic and grants sovereignty over a particular city. Kings also control taxes and have an unspecified level of control over how monsters spawn in their part of the world. Check out the video after the cut or the full series at Glimpse Dog."

Troll? I think not.

I merely reporting what I read and what I already know of AION. After that, I made a opinion about how they will be pretty similar in many respects, especially with the same engine as someone said and the same NCsoft execs behind the decision making process. I never said factus of any kind.. that article did. Strange yo link things, but don't READ them first.

Your namecalling shows you are losing control. Please don't resort to insults when you are losing an internet argument.

Unspecified, sketchy, still under heavy development.  Sounds to me that they don't know much about it, and it also sound like you don't know much about it also.  Last time I checked Aion did not have Lords & kings so maybe you could fill me in on some of these similarities you speak of.

Aion has the cryengine,  tera uses the UE3 engine.

Sorry wrong again, they were not execs but game developers on the L2 project,  there is a difference you know.  The reason they left was because they did not like the decisions the NCsoft execs were making....and here you are bashing them Oo

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Haven2035Haven2035 Member Posts: 54

Tera Online....

The game that totes the advertisement that it takes skill to play.

Most MMO's don't take skill to play. They usually just take a boring combination of number crunching and tactical set ups to be effective at them... and those are the games that aren't just boring grind fests, which saddly is the majority of MMOs on the market,.

As for the OP....

This is a typical example of, "I don't know jack shit about this game, because I haven't actually researched anything about it... BUT I'm going to comment anyway because I saw a couple videos."

Let me enlighten you....

Does Tera have an innovative combat system that will set it apart from the rest of MMOs in existence?  Yes, and no.

What Tera has is a unique combat setup that incorporates a bunch of little things you never see to further "enhance" a normal MMO combat system.

1st of all combat is collision based. There is no running thru a mob or a mob running through you.  if you "physically "run into a mob you will stop and a mob will stop if it runs into you. So actual spatial tactics are more probably because the warrior or lancer (tanks int era's case) can "physically" protect his party members by standing inbetwen the mob and them.

2nd, there is no "targeting system". Every action you perform in tera, where combat is concerned, has to be manually aimed.  this means no more freebie spells, slashes, thrusts, ect.. It promoted player skill.  As a result a miss isn't a miss because of a random number roll. Instead a miss is a miss because you suck at hand eye coordination.

3rd  there is no auto-dodge, parry, block mechanic in Tera.  for you to dodge you must "physically" move out of the way. So tanks that are wuick to act are good one and those who are slow and not really paying attention suck.  Classes that block, must actually activate a skill to go into a blocking mode.

4th mob tactics.  Most games simply don't have tactics when it comes to mobs.  Sure wow and some others have basic concepts such as "dont stand in it" "dont stand in front of it" ect...  But this generally applies only to bosses.  In Tera many if not most mobs in the game have specific tactics and tactics that can change without notice.  Mob AI is amazing from everything I've sen thus far, and far beyond any AI I've seen in other MMOs

What IS the same is the fact that you are hitting hotkeys to perform actions, I'm sure there will be optimal rotations for each class selected by players to ensure that maximum amount of damage is achieved.  Then again Bluehole and In Masse might surprise us.

For those looking for a new MMO in 2011 I would highly suggest Tera. From the looks of it's competition so far (next year) nothing really holds a candle to it in it's genre.

Anyone who thinks this is just another grind fest Korean MMO.. might want to take a 2nd look. This one is actually being "westernized" and has been stated that the version we get will likely be vastly different than the version the asian market gets. and En Masse is a developer that is actually listening to it's playerbase.

• KivotKivot Member Posts: 44

To me, the gameplay looks pretty good considering it won't be fully released until probably late October, I think. So there will most likely be a few improvements. Also I can tell by the guy's damage that it's a low level gameplay.

This has probably been said already, but I won't be reading 15 pages for that. D:

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219

Played it at PAX extensively.

If you like faster paced MMOs like WoW and Global Agenda, you will love Teras combat.  

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by skoreanime

If you like faster paced MMOs like WoW and Global Agenda, you will love Teras combat.  

¿

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by paterah

Originally posted by skoreanime

¿

I see what you did there ... wait, no, I didn't.

gameplay interview from pax using the 360 controller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTxbBCWgCok