Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera gameplay looks bad

Comments

• AlbaficaAlbafica Member Posts: 23

look the AI here at 3:56..look the castanic castin AOE stun and how the mob is tryin to evade it and come back right after the skill is off...simply awesome AI

• yoyoyoblakayoyoyoblaka Member Posts: 199

Looks really good to me to be honest, it looks smooth. I can count maybe 3 mmo's that actually have smooth gameplay.

But honestly korean mmo's usually have nice graphics and decent gameplay, its everything else they lack in. 

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

The combat looks like every other MMORPG out there today. It's a shame The Chronicles of Spellborn crashed and burned because of bad publishing. It had a new and fresh feel to it's combat. I'd like to see another game mimic it's combat.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

I thought it looked pretty good and it isn't even on my list of games I would like to play.

SWTOR

GW2

FF14 --- though I am losing alot of interest

RIft

Arche Age (even though it probably wont be in North America)

those are the games that have caught my attention, this one may just wind up on that list aswell.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by AlienShirt

The combat looks like every other MMORPG out there today. It's a shame The Chronicles of Spellborn crashed and burned because of bad publishing. It had a new and fresh feel to it's combat. I'd like to see another game mimic it's combat.

Sure, it's called TERA.

• er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101

yeah i have to agree its kind of Ho-Hum bland and boring. maybe if your new to mmo's its "totally awesome dude" but as a vet....its just boring.

• NocHKNocHK Member Posts: 2

Well... First of all to say that is a beta.. god knows where did that video came from

Sure that video dont looks so good but still the point that u have to aim to your target,... if you are a melee class the "click on target click on skill and see how your char get close  till the minimum distance needed and make it" wont do any longer, that means you have to move close to the target and "aim" if u dont want to make a fail, both in pvp and pve that makes the game way more funny to play like lets say Lineage or aion or any other u may think, if the pple have to get close to and need to aim to hit u, that means the way u move matters, that means u can REALLY avoid a strike, not coz ur evasion was 110 coz u used the "superdodge ability" nop, just coz u made a good move, well i guess is more funny just to click on a target and press skills coz u know they wont miss.

I think mmos needed this way long ago, a new system where the player can really play, and were the skill really matters.

With that ill wait to see the game done, the idea is good, they may make a crap with it, but really, games where u lock on targets and push skills... hope they die soon.

Lineage 2 have way more players than ever had age of conan, but age of conan pvp was like 200 times better than lineage 2

No Signal of a Sign.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Looks kind of bland, just a lot of pretty colors added and very generic.. it looks like a typical Asian F2P game imo. I thought this was supposed to be a payment model?

The caster actually had to run right up to those mobs in their face to cast a lot of the spells. What's up with that? I saw a few where he got to 5m THEN casted but the mobs didn't notice him til then. Must be non-aggressive mobs although they didn't have the type of names (or looks) that would make you think that. Wonder what it would do vs aggressive mobs whacking on it while he was in their mugs like that...

What was the HP's on this caster class? He sure wasn't taking a lot of normal caster damage according to the chatbox while doing all these nukes. I thought that was very strange. So either these mobs are super low level and they are just showing off the "pretties" of what the spells LOOK like or they are artifically boosting up a caster's HPs. Is this a 'melee caster' or what?

The way this character runs. I'm sorry but the movement on the toon kind of hurts my eyes with the bopping/running style. It looks like a F2P made graphic and not first quality. It's not motion capture or smooth in ANY way and makes the game look cheap.

If a game can't manage to make the character movements look fluid, how are they going to make the rest of the game appear so?

• DocZDocZ Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by popinjay

Looks kind of bland, just a lot of pretty colors added and very generic.. it looks like a typical Asian F2P game imo. I thought this was supposed to be a payment model?

If this looks "generic " what the hell looks good to you????

The caster actually had to run right up to those mobs in their face to cast a lot of the spells. What's up with that? I saw a few where he got to 5m THEN casted but the mobs didn't notice him til then. Must be non-aggressive mobs although they didn't have the type of names (or looks) that would make you think that. Wonder what it would do vs aggressive mobs whacking on it while he was in their mugs like that...

I love it when people confuse how your actually supposed to play the game or what you can do to what they see an inexperienced player do while playing the game. Hell if thats the case all you can do in Street Fighter is low kick

What was the HP's on this caster class? He sure wasn't taking a lot of normal caster damage according to the chatbox while doing all these nukes. I thought that was very strange.

Normal caster damage? So every game is supposed to do the same damage.

So either these mobs are super low level and they are just showing off the "pretties" of what the spells LOOK like or they are artifically boosting up a caster's HPs. Is this a 'melee caster' or what?

Or its a demo , ors its in beta , or he was being healed .....

The way this character runs. I'm sorry but the movement on the toon kind of hurts my eyes with the bopping/running style. It looks like a F2P made graphic and not first quality. It's not motion capture or smooth in ANY way and makes the game look cheap.

I guess thats a opinion.. weak one but an opinion

If a game can't manage to make the character movements look fluid, how are they going to make the rest of the game appear so?

Characters look very fluid.. not to yourlikeing but very fluid for the character types and models

I challenged my reflection to a staring contest....4 days later i won

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Originally posted by DocZ

I love it when people confuse how your actually supposed to play the game or what you can do to what they see an inexperienced player do while playing the game. Hell if thats the case all you can do in Street Fighter is low kick

What was the HP's on this caster class? He sure wasn't taking a lot of normal caster damage according to the chatbox while doing all these nukes. I thought that was very strange.

So either these mobs are super low level and they are just showing off the "pretties" of what the spells LOOK like or they are artifically boosting up a caster's HPs. Is this a 'melee caster' or what?

Or its a demo , ors its in beta , or he was being healed .....

Characters look very fluid.. not to yourlikeing but very fluid for the character types and models

+1 for DocZ

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

this looks terrible. animations are atrocious... plus it's korean, so lolgrind.

Aion graphics were much better than this and don't look generic. FFXIV used motion capture to make their characters look lifelike when they run/walk/stop and don't look generic. The new GW2 video of their characters moving look natural and not generic. Even SWTOR has better moving than the way this guy was jump/running or whatever you call it. (bunnyhop?)

You really think this is a cutting edge animation for characters the way that toon was running for 2010? If you think the way that looked for a 'modern' game, God bless you.

I love it when people confuse how your actually supposed to play the game or what you can do to what they see an inexperienced player do while playing the game. Hell if thats the case all you can do in Street Fighter is low kick.

GW vids of their gameplay showed how their casters are not right in front of the mobs. The archer classes show plenty of space when unleashing attacks. Most vids I've seen of beta casters are not 5M away when they start casting before mobs detect them, hence the question about how this was presented and what they are actually showing off. I think it's a legit question as to if this is a TYPICAL mage in this game or if this is some new hybrid caster or are they just showing off their colorful pew pew style. After all, this game claims to be groundbreaking, no? BTW: Street Fighter isn't a MMO.

No, that's why I said is this "normal damage", meaning some casters in some games do MORE, some casters in other games do LESS.. but typically most do MORE which this guy didn't look like he was doing.

Weak, strong.. doesn't matter really. Even weak opinions can be right as well as strong opinions being wrong. People SURE had strong opinions that Warhammer Online was gonna be the bomb. It just... bombed.

What were you saying about "opinions" again, lol? If you think that character's running style was "fluid", all paintings must look like Picasso prints to you or something. It certainly was F2P worthy. and they definitely need to work on it.

I never understand why people feel the need to defend these games with all their heart as if they actually made it and get all pantybunched. We all know the game is in early stages but if they release video, it SHOULD be opinionated.

Some won't like how this guy looks like he's running with a stick up his ass. Some like you, will. It's just opinions, lol.

Chill out friend, it's just a game and they didn't start selling tickets to the show yet so you don't have to worry about it crashing this early, mmkay?

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Aion graphics were much better than this and don't look generic. FFXIV used motion capture to make their characters look lifelike when they run/walk/stop and don't look generic. The new GW2 video of their characters moving look natural and not generic. Even SWTOR has better moving than the way this guy was jump/running or whatever you call it. (bunnyhop?)

You really think this is a cutting edge animation for characters the way that toon was running for 2010? If you think the way that looked for a 'modern' game, God bless you.

I love it when people confuse how your actually supposed to play the game or what you can do to what they see an inexperienced player do while playing the game. Hell if thats the case all you can do in Street Fighter is low kick.

GW vids of their gameplay showed how their casters are not right in front of the mobs. The archer classes show plenty of space when unleashing attacks. Most vids I've seen of beta casters are not 5M away when they start casting before mobs detect them, hence the question about how this was presented and what they are actually showing off. I think it's a legit question as to if this is a TYPICAL mage in this game or if this is some new hybrid caster or are they just showing off their colorful pew pew style. After all, this game claims to be groundbreaking, no? BTW: Street Fighter isn't a MMO.

No, that's why I said is this "normal damage", meaning some casters in some games do MORE, some casters in other games do LESS.. but typically most do MORE which this guy didn't look like he was doing.

Weak, strong.. doesn't matter really. Even weak opinions can be right as well as strong opinions being wrong. People SURE had strong opinions that Warhammer Online was gonna be the bomb. It just... bombed.

What were you saying about "opinions" again, lol? If you think that character's running style was "fluid", all paintings must look like Picasso prints to you or something. It certainly was F2P worthy. and they definitely need to work on it.

I never understand why people feel the need to defend these games with all their heart as if they actually made it and get all pantybunched. We all know the game is in early stages but if they release video, it SHOULD be opinionated.

Some won't like how this guy looks like he's running with a stick up his ass. Some like you, will. It's just opinions, lol.

Chill out friend, it's just a game and they didn't start selling tickets to the show yet so you don't have to worry about it crashing this early, mmkay?

Your right   "A good game needs no defense,  A bad game has no defense"  Becareful what you wish for PJ.

And yet you come here and praise the goodness that is GW's, like a good fanboy...^^

You have no shame.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by bastionix

Originally posted by Zookz

Originally posted by bastionix

Originally posted by Zookz

As opposed to what? Tab target and auto attack? I think this looks amazing. 

It doesn't look amazing if you're honest with yourself. It looks like any other MMO out there. Tera was supposed to bring "revolutionary combat" to the table and it's a run of the mill slow and unresponsive action game. I don't need to sugar coat this, it kinda speaks for itself.

I smell troll. Shrugs, play something else then. I'm excited for Tera. 

The only troll is you here.

Bastionix u totally fail here, this vid looks good, period. He's just fighting easy mobs.

Paste some WoW / Aion / EQ / FFXIV vids here for the same fights u'll see which is more impressive, i guess u got ur ass whooped for some reason on the forums there (maybe cuz u couldn't go into FGT ?) and try to troll the game.

Anyhow the guy in the vid was courageous enough to play a castanic male, yay.

Edit : Btw for those bitching bout animations, castanic male wasn't added so long ago and nobody knows when the vid was taken, but they are not final (and they don't look bad imo). If u say it's clunky that's because the guy doesn't have that smooth FPS to begin with (maybe it's the vid capturing tool or it's his comp).

And yah, wow this vid looks bland ? It's just a damn hunting area with crappy mobs in the woods, watch other vids of Tera and u'll see that the world looks like 10 times better than AION.

I was turned down by Tera when it first appeard cuz it was another Korean game, but after the papers IGN did on it and putting my nose on what En Masse is doing (and who works in En Masse as well), going on the forums and all, it became right in the games priority list.

Cuz it's very funny to praise the almighty GW2 but the gameplay videos so far are under par (invuln + invisible devs characters, talk bout clunky lizard animations)  and the design decisions bring a lot of question marks (the "no healer" thing is debatable, quite instanced game...) . Not to mention that GW1 wasn't almighty, it was a decent game, but nothing out of the ordinary. Either way i don't mind this or that game, as long as at least ONE delivers something good, because for the  past years it's boring-o-matic.

Just take a look at a more detailed video :

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-t-e-r-a/701208?type=flv

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

Originally posted by stayontarget

Your right   "A good game needs no defense,  A bad game has no defense"  Becareful what you wish for PJ.

And yet you come here and praise the goodness that is GW's, like a good fanboy...^^
    You have no shame.

Posted by Popinjay

Forgot your reading glasses again, huh SoT? :)

Figure I'd put the FOUR other games I thought had better animation/graphics than that clip that you didn't see me list. (Yes, I know it's early but the poster asked me what I thought was better)

btw: FTR: I'm a FFXI fanboy, not a GW fanboy.

Originally posted by haibane

Just take a look at a more detailed video :
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-t-e-r-a/701208?type=flv

Hmm.. after seeing this vid it puts a different perspective on the other one.

I know have to revise my opinion. This isn't worse than AION's graphics...

It IS Aion's graphics lol!

Glad swings the polearm the same way they do in AION, you see what looks like a Templar with a GS doing the same skills like Aion and even runs with the GS the same exact way on his shoulder with one hand. The mage character runs around MUCH better than the other vid, but it does just looks like a light-skinned Asmodian without the furback, hehe. The guy driving the crab mob was cool and a nice touch^^

Other than the targeting system...is this AION 2.0 or something? Is this the same engine cause the world even looks the same.. bit like Heiron.

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

I believe it is the same engine than AION, they have a little bit different artstyle (bigger weapons, more nakked girls, bigger buildings), but very few of the world has been shown yet. Probably best to check beta footage on youtube (from peeps in the K beta).

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

I believe it is the same engine than AION, they have a little bit different artstyle (bigger weapons, more nakked girls, bigger buildings), but very few of the world has been shown yet. Probably best to check beta footage on youtube (from peeps in the K beta).

Thx Hai,

I just got done playing AION (closed sub down since launch) and when I saw the glad in that Tera vid swings that friggin pole, I had nightmares again (I had a ranger among other toons). That vid looks so familiar I had to blink twice to make sure I wasn't looking seeing the AION Vision campaign, lol.

I would have to see a little something different brought to the table here with Tera though. Aion was full of promise but it turned into a gankfest worse than Darkfall. It degenerated into nothing but zergfests and high levels ganking farmers and people questing topped off by long, impossibly stupid quests like Miragent pants.

I think I'll give thie wide berth until I hear it's not another scavenger hunt for almost unattainable gear without loads of playing time vested. Right now, Tera is just another four letter word like Aion to me so I'll wait.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

The engine used for TERA is UNREAL3 while AION uses CryEngine 1.0.

@popinjay

Both engines look very good and the characters have the same art style, however saying its AION its like saying UT is the same as Gears of War is uneducated and beyond ridiculous. Specially when the argument presented is that the "swing" looks similar really?!

Any game that is yet to be released is just a word, I dont understand your rage towards this game, however, I would seriously consider taking a break and rethinking your arguments.

Originally posted by rav3n2

@popinjay
    Both engines look very good and the characters have the same art style, however saying its AION its like saying UT is the same as Gears of War is uneducated and beyond ridiculous. Specially when the argument presented is that the "swing" looks similar really?!
    Any game that is yet to be released is just a word, I dont understand your rage towards this game, however, I would seriously consider taking a break and rethinking your arguments.

I didn't know LOL spells "rage" to you, but idk what I can use to make you understand I find it humorous.. maybe if I go :(

The problem I personally would have playing Tera right now is what I mentioned before.. it looks TOO much like AION, a game I JUST LEFT after one year. Why would I continue to play the exact same type of MMO (high fantasy) that looks pretty much exactly like the one I just stopped playing?

I didn't say it's going to stink or be bad, so please come out of defensive stance.

What I am trying to convey is that it's just TOO similar a game visually and possibly combat style with the only exception being you have to "aim".

Aiming feature is novel but that's not entirely new (did it in Darkfall) and enough to make me want to raise another over the top humanoid type toon from Korea for a few months. Art style in FFXIV, GW2, SWTOR, and DC Online looks more appealing to me now after months of nekkid chicks and androgynous guys.

I think if you played AION for a year, you'd probably understand why someone would see the TERA vid and be underwhelmed with the game thus far. New releases are supposed to be.. new, no? Not rehashed. Especially since it's being handled by the exact same company overally(NCsoft).

No rage, just.. chuckles. :)

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by rav3n2

@popinjay

I didn't know LOL spells "rage" to you, but idk what I can use to make you understand I find it humorous.. maybe if I go :(

The problem I personally would have playing Tera right now is what I mentioned before.. it looks TOO much like AION, a game I JUST LEFT after one year. Why would I continue to play the exact same type of MMO (high fantasy) that looks pretty much exactly like the one I just stopped playing?

I didn't say it's going to stink or be bad, so please come out of defensive stance.

What I am trying to convey is that it's just TOO similar a game visually and possibly combat style with the only exception being you have to "aim".

Aiming feature is novel but that's not entirely new (did it in Darkfall) and enough to make me want to raise another over the top humanoid type toon from Korea for a few months. Art style in FFXIV, GW2, SWTOR, and DC Online looks more appealing to me now after months of nekkid chicks and androgynous guys.

I think if you played AION for a year, you'd probably understand why someone would see the TERA vid and be underwhelmed with the game thus far. New releases are supposed to be.. new, no? Not rehashed. Especially since it's being handled by the exact same company overally(NCsoft).

No rage, just.. chuckles. :)

No need to go through details and all that stuff just speak freely. Aion clone cuz it plays with keyboard+mouse.

Originally posted by paterah

No need to go through details and all that stuff just speak freely. Aion clone cuz it plays with keyboard+mouse.

I'm not about to call it an "Aion clone" as I haven't played it.

The only thing anyone can go by at this point this far out is how it looks and the playstyle action and they look almost exactly the same if you look at videos of both games. But I'm not saying "clone" because there are differences.

In Aion, the whole Pvp system was made up of Governors, Generals, Officers, and such that were rated on how many points you achieved through pvp and they received special abilities to do certain things like transform into superpowered toons that alliances had trouble killing.

In Tera they just released some info on their political system and it has Kings, Lords, Barons and such that is rated on how many points you achieve through pvp and they will recieve special abilities that allow them to.. err...???

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by paterah

I'm not about to call it an "Aion clone" as I haven't played it.

The only thing anyone can go by at this point this far out is how it looks and the playstyle action and they look almost exactly the same if you look at videos of both games. But I'm not saying "clone" because there are differences.

In Aion, the whole Pvp system was made up of Governors, Generals, Officers, and such that were rated on how many points you achieved through pvp and they received special abilities to do certain things like transform into superpowered toons that alliances had trouble killing.

In Tera they just released some info on their political system and it has Kings, Lords, Barons and such that is rated on how many points you achieve through pvp and they will recieve special abilities that allow them to.. err...???

Yea Frogster did drop small hints about the political system but not enough for you to come to that conclusion....

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

kings  are bosses of cities, they can be elected by other people.

they can control several things in the area of the city, for example  spawn rates and stuff, dont believe me?

well, gamescom shows it! http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-t-e-r-a/703453 there ya go, and listen carefully ;)

Originally posted by stayontarget

Yea Frogster did drop small hints about the political system but not enough for you to come to that conclusion....

I didn't notice Frogster's comments.

I was reading off of Massively.