Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will PS3 doom the future of FFXIV?

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Roadkill2000

Hopefully it does well on both platforms, the one thing u all keep missing with arguing bout what platform will do better is the more it sells the better for all of us Console or PC. For all of us that can afford a powerful PC to play games on thats fine, but the state of the economy and with many people not having much extra money to spend these companies would be stupid to make games only accessible to people with the most money to spend. Some actually think its a waste of time to buy a PC just to have some games with better graphics. That is why the so called MMO destroyer Wow that people hate on does so well and the same reason Bioware is using the stylized art direction. Expensive PCs are not feasible for most people and the best thing for both the companies and the players is to have it where more people can enjoy it, cause deep down no matter how many egos it hurts. Its all bout the money and the smart companies are gonna go for the smart solution and put the game on systems everyone can enjoy even if it hurts some feelings. There is nothing wrong with playing games on the console.

Agreed, yet one more reason that the PS3 will only ADD to their subscribers.  Not everyone can afford to go out and buy a new computer, but a l ot of folks might get a PS3 for the holidays or save up for one for FFXIV for release as it is drastically cheaper than a new computer.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by grapevine

Because the quaility in the product isn't there.  The console (only) players are going to compair it to one of the single player games and just think what the hell is this POS.

The quality -FOR AN MMO PLAYER- may not be there. 

In fact, no MMO can compare to a single player game as far as gameplay goes. Still people play them. 

A console player will see- oh, cities, an open world! Story! Woah, I am interacting with some guy from Australia, awesome!

All the things that are "been there, done that" for you, are not such for them.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Yeah, just completely ignore the entire conversation.  It has to do with the quaility of FF XIV, regarless of format.   Hence, why it being on the PS3 is going to make no difference.

So its admittedly off topic, as the topic is how FFXIV being on the PS3 will effect its success.

In my opinion it will only add to its success, having more options to play something on allows for a larger audience potential, and as the game is being developed independantly for the PS3 and the PC its quality won't stuffer on the PC just to make it compaitble with the PS3's version.  More people having the ABILITY to play the game will mean more ACTUAL subscribers for them.  Couldn't be a bad move in any way shape or form.

No, its on topic.  This thread is about if the PS3 version will doom the future of FF XIV.  It won't, as what people have seen isn't liked by the majority anyway.

You are just being silly, and persisting in your off topic ness.  Saying "The game is doomed so it won't mater if it has a PS3 version."  Is off topic because its not about what you think the game will do over all, its asking specifically if the PS3 will HELP or HURT the game, and you do not answer that question a single time, you merely say "it will fail anyway."

I would love to dispute your reasoning as to why you think this game will fail but that too is off topic!

Again, adding a PS3 version to ANY MMO would increase its potential audience and add to its subscription base, there are people who don't own PC's or like keyboards much and would love to play online games on a console, giving them the option would only increase subscription numbers.

Its common sense, more potential customers = more customers over all.   The question is will it be worth it for them financially or will it be ultimately not popular enough on the PS3 to make the development worth the commitment they made. Either way they'll follow through. 

More like you just want to sideline.  I have said way more than it will fail anyway.  Nice post hopping.

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Because the quaility in the product isn't there.  The console (only) players are going to compair it to one of the single player games and just think what the hell is this POS.

The quality -FOR AN MMO PLAYER- may not be there. 

In fact, no MMO can compare to a single player game as far as gameplay goes. Still people play them. 

A console player will see- oh, cities, an open world! Story! Woah, I am interacting with some guy from Australia, awesome!

All the things that are "been there, done that" for you, are not such for them.

Not really.  A decent proporation of console games these day have multiple player options anyway.  Its highly likely console (only) players are going to get bored with the slow pace, even more so than PC players.  It will grab attention for a period, but mostly console (only) players are looking for the next shiny object (if you get my drift).

Its highly likely console (only) players are going to get bored with the slow pace, even more so than PC players.

Because FF games have always been fast paced? Because FF fans want to go back to "golden era" of FFVI-IX, the era of slower gameplay?

Sorry, but you can't force your preferences on to others.

Its highly likely console (only) players are going to get bored with the slow pace, even more so than PC players.

Because FF games have always been fast paced? Because FF fans want to go back to "golden era" of FFVI-IX, the era of slower gameplay?

They are faster paced than their MMOs.  Also, as I said, console players move on to different games that get their attention.  Its simply the nature of the demographic.

Lots of folks enjoy turned based games, I know a lot of people who stil to this day play pen and paper D&D, tell me that isn't slow paced. 

Different strokes for different folks, however we seem to have forgotten that.

They are faster paced than their MMOs.  Also, as I said, console players move on to different games that get their attention.  Its simply the nature of the demographic.

Yes there are faster paced MMOs, how many of them are on PS3?

LOL.  How many MMOs are on consoles, period?  Oh, yeah, that's because most of the players want to play MMOs on PCs, and all other pervious attempts to release MMOs on consoles have failed.  Simply because the playstyle doesn't suit the demographic.

Now please go back and read the thread, as I've already said as much.

You have to be joking, of deluded, if you honestly believe XIV has an equal (or faster) pace then their single player games.  Sorry, but now you are spoiting bull.

Let's see, the action bar might move slightly faster but the in<>out of battle transitions not to mention that every single action is done one by one takes away all the fluidity of the system. It is slower. 

LOL.  How many MMOs are on consoles, period?  Oh, yeah, that's because most of the players want to play MMOs on PCs, and all other pervious attempts to release MMOs on consoles have failed.  Simply because the playstyle doesn't suit the demographic.

Good luck linking your PS2 to internet in 2002, not to mention the amount of games with internet multiplayer in them.

Now compare that to Xbox 360 and PS3. Your argument doesn't hold any water right now.

You do realise they have been trying to launch MMOs on consoles since the Dreamcast, which came out in 1999? Also that the PS3 and XBOX 360 have now been out for years.

Now please go back and read the thread, as I've already said as much.

No need to be hostile, I've read the thread, I've already posted in it earlier at around page 1 or 2...  been following it for a while...

My point is this, as someone who played FFXI EXCLUSIVELY on Xbox360 I  myself think that having MMO's on consoles is a good idea, I have a lot of friends who play online games that also have a console and when I told them about my adventures on Xbox 360 with FFXI they were envious that WoW didn't have a Xbox 360 version or any other MMO for that mater. 

I disagree with your earlier posts, in this thread or others.  I do not think that MMOs are incompatiable with console gamers.  Almost everyone I've raided with in DAoC or WoW or FFXI played console games in their off time.  From single player Final Fantasy games to Dead or Alive to Halo 1-3.  Over the years many MMO gamers also played games on their console.

Edit:  I used to play Phantasy Star on my Gamecube online too... just a thought... MMO's on consoles have been around for a while.

You do realise they have been trying to launch MMOs on consoles since the Dreamcast?  Also that the PS3 and XBOX 360 have now been out for years.

And that has what to do with anything? Consoles have not been internet friendly before the current generation came around, it's no wonder they were having trouble.

360 and PS3 have had years to build a solid base of people using their internet services. Now is the best time to bring an MMO to the consoles if anything. People already use PSN and Xbox Live like you would browse web on your PC. 

You have to be joking, of deluded, if you honestly believe XIV has an equal (or faster) pace then their single player games.  Sorry, but now you are spoiting bull.

Let's see, the action bar might move slightly faster but the in<>out of battle transitions not to mention that every single action is done one by one takes away all the fluidity of the system. It is slower. 

No its not.  The combat pace is quicker in their single player games, along with storyline progression, ranking, etc.  As I said, different demographics, with different expectations.

• DareantkDareantk Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by nhavas

Originally posted by Raxeon

Originally posted by TheHellfire

Originally posted by Raxeon

Originally posted by TheHellfire

Originally posted by Doomedfox

ps3 has the same ram and memory as 360 the ps3 is a more powerful ssytem than the 360 but the 360 gfx card is slightly better i believe. they shold be ok with the ps3 they just need to compress allt he gfx down a bit and thats taking them longer than expected. they want it on the 360 but microsoft wants to use the xbox live GOLd for it

From what I read the PS3v has very little ram devoted to graphics. The PS3 hardrive is on the small side, as ff14 will take about all available memory up on the PS3, the reason for the delay. They have to dumb the graphics down and make all the game compressed (have fun with obscenely long load times) . The 360 isnt better, but its OS is built like a PC not some wierd science experiment, which makes pc ports very easy (and vice versa). Basically I think if SE knew the problems theyd have theyd have not cross platformed. Lets not forget a 6 month delay is HUGE in the industry, especially on a port. Don't be surprised if they scratch the PS3 (Im not saying it will, but this is known to happen from time to time). And it isnt justhe xbox live gold holding up the 360, Xbox has a rule that wont allow cross platform gaming online.

hardrive will help with load times. ffxiv will install to the hardrive. on the gfx memory look at ff13 gfx on the ps3. they can use the cells to help with gfxs anyways

PS3 runs an nVidia graphics chip specially made for the system, stuck somewhere between a geforce 7900gtx and a geforce 8800gt. Immensely scalable though, as games have proven since it's release.

Furthermore, the core PS3 OS is built on a variant of unix, it runs Blu-Ray games (which can occupy up to 26gb on one disc) and the smallest PS3 being sold now is 60gb. I doubt that FFXIV will even be a minor nuisance storage-wise when it comes out.

Your arguments are invalid and you don't know the system you're ragging on. Furthermore, if this was on 360, you'd have to pay 15$ a month just to pay ANOTHER 15$ a month to play.

Lol or you know, the actual price of 4 a month for live, or 3 or less a month if you only buy on sale. But made up numbers are cool too?

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

I had to laugh when I saw this thread, then I stopped to think, yeah Im a guy laughing in the West, but now re ask that question for the huge Asian market, where PC gaming isnt as popular, and where this game should be more popular.

Then I remembered I was on MMoRPG forums and just settled to laugh at post and then to start screaming 'DOOOOM on all your games, I say DOOOOOOOOM "

No its not.  The combat pace is quicker in their single player games, along with storyline progression, ranking, etc.  As I said, different demographics, with different expectations.

The problem is those demographics overlap.  Infact EVERYONE I know who owns a PC also owns a game console, but thats not true on the reverse, I have a few friends who only own consoles and a TV, they don't get online much and do real world things but still like to game on a console.  Those people, yeah they won't like FFXIV.   However people who are used to playing online games on PC and understand what MMO's are and have always wanted to play one on a console on a big screen TV with a PS controler will finally get their wish.

Which I assure you they exsist.

The problem is those demographics overlap.  Infact EVERYONE I know who owns a PC also owns a game console, but thats not true on the reverse, I have a few friends who only own consoles and a TV, they don't get online much and do real world things but still like to game on a console.  Those people, yeah they won't like FFXIV.   However people who are used to playing online games on PC and understand what MMO's are and have always wanted to play one on a console on a big screen TV with a PS controler will finally get their wish.

Exactly.  Now go back and ask them what format they want to play their MMOs on.  At best, you'll get some who will play both versions (for convenience), but the PC version will come out on top by quite a margin.

Utter garbage.  XBOX live has been successful for years, and used by a higher percentage of X360 gamers.  Likewise for the PS3, people have used it for internet play since day one.  Console gamers haven't just switched on to the internet.

And how many MMO's have come on these platforms to PROVE what you said? None. 

No MMO's have come to the platforms that use internet to their full advantage (oh wait, an 8 year old game made for hardcore people did! I wonder why that didn't work out!). At the same time, few MMO's have come to platforms that did not use internet to their full advantage, if at all. 

[Mod Edit]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfGhOCQllI

Oh hey, look how fast the action bar moves! Oh wait, the bar doesn't even move when anyone is doing an action of any kind! And the animations take ages! So much faster! 

You are not even worth my time.

LOL, thanks for proving a point about being stuck in a timewarp.   How about something more recent?

Also in the MMO you are playing a single character, not an entire party. 

Exactly.  Now go back and ask them what format they want to play their MMOs on.  At best, you'll get some who will play both versions (for convenience), but the PC version will come out on top by quite a margin.

Exactly! I'm glad we agree!  Yes there are a lot MORE people who will play on PC, how ever there will be a significant number of people who would like to play on a console and the Playstation is what they grew up on and they can't want to finally get to do their favorite thing (play a multiplayer online game with friends)  on their favorite method (the Playstation)

There will be people who will enjoy playing it on the PS3 and will play exlusively on that, I knew a lot of people in FFXI who were like me and only played on console, one of them played on PS2 and only had a 10inch screen TV, she still loved the game.   

How well will the PS3 version do?  only time will tell, of course!

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Come now you know thats a dumb question, since the only 2 MMOs in existence for console are FFXI and FFXIV!  Of course the majority are gonna say PC, cause thats the only option for those that don't enjoy FF!

LOL, thanks for proving a point about being stuck in a timewarp.   How about something more recent?

FF Fan: "WAAAAH please bring back FFVII-IX"

Why should I post something more recent? The fanbase is stuck in the timewarp, not me. And they seem to want this kind of gameplay, what can I do? Sorry to burst your bubble.

Originally posted by Khrymson

Come now you know thats a dumb question, since the only 2 MMOs in existence for console are FFXI and FFXIV!  Of course the majority are gonna say PC, cause thats the only option for those that don't enjoy FF!

They aren't the only MMOs that have been released on consoles.  In addition some have in fact been designed only for consoles.

There's also been a decent number of MMOs of late, which have been planned to have console versions.  All so far, other than for SE and SOE, have since changed their minds. 

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

This thread has turned into nothing but an exchange of personal attacks. Please remember our ROC (Found in my signature below). Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.