Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bliz admits that guild leveling has flaws

13»

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I am not getting excited about Blizzard releasing flawed content. Say what you will about the stupid company, but they crank out smooth content.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by jason_webb

Originally posted by Rydeson

Yes genius, they had no effect on the accounts whatsoever..  You can try and use a 3rd party estimate to verify your argument, but you have no clue what that estimate is based on.. IF it's based on gaming sources like Xfire play time, then YES, when the servers were temporary turned OFF, naturally the play time dropped, which would lead people to believe accounts were closed, then reopened.. which is far from the truth..

Good try on the strawman argument.. better luck next time.. :)

Not quite right 'Genius'!

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

'Game room players' as the eastern player base would be described would be the ones that fluctuate more than others and if the servers were down for over a month then the sub drop off would be massive. This also does mean of course that any player that just logged in and played for five minutes in any given month would also be included, but then that really makes no odds because even monthly subbed accounts vary heavily in usage, so the "only played for 'x' amount of time argument is mute and to be honest any MMO running the same system counts them as well.

Keep trying.. one day you might get it right.. lol  The fact is the ASIAN market if FULLY represented in WoW's 2008 bragging of 11 million subs :)  Jumping to an assumption that Wrath or Cat released in China is going to increase the sub numbers by millions more is just wishful thinking :) 

But in anycase this has gone way off topic.. which was Blizzard admitting and knowing their upcoming guild leveling system has issues (aka flaws) ..  It will be interesting to follow how much of the guild leveling will change even more after it goes live.. :)  This will be a train wreck when it goes live, probably worse then SOE's  PoP expansion..

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Daffid011

Now that is some funny stuff.. China never cut off WoW.. They  only disallowed the release of WoTLK, but the rest of the game was alive and kicking.. LOL  

This is just another example of how ill informed your posts are.  

LINK March 2009

LINK July 2009

LINK Nov 2009

Wow China spent a good deal of 2009 offline at various times as a result of issues with the chinese government and other issues.  

WoW spent more time ON, then OFFline..  BTW genius.. Even when the servers went down because of WoW's violations to China regulations, the accounts NEVER CLOSED.. The on and off again drama had no effect on WoW sub numbers..

So you were wrong about the servers in china being shut down, who shut them down and why they were shut down, but we are supposed to believe you when you say that it didn't have an effect on the subscriber count? Please forgive anyone who doesn't just take your claims at face value.  Perhaps you should post some information to support your claims so you don't end up looking ignorant to the situation again.

It is pretty clear you didn't know what happened in China, you didn't know how blizzard counts subscribers, you didn't understand currency exchanges, your "new math" subscriber estimates exceed 100% and pretty much everything else that is being discussed in the thread.

Cool if you don't like wow, but just say that.  Don't run around changing facts and making things up just so you can rage on a game you don't like anymore. 

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Keep trying.. one day you might get it right.. lol  The fact is the ASIAN market if FULLY represented in WoW's 2008 bragging of 11 million subs :)  Jumping to an assumption that Wrath or Cat released in China is going to increase the sub numbers by millions more is just wishful thinking :) 
         But in anycase this has gone way off topic.. which was Blizzard admitting and knowing their upcoming guild leveling system has issues (aka flaws) ..  It will be interesting to follow how much of the guild leveling will change even more after it goes live.. :)  This will be a train wreck when it goes live, probably worse then SOE's  PoP expansion..

Keep trying at what?? The point was that subs 'would' have dropped off when the servers were down?? What are you on about now??

As for your original topic, the fact that it is 'flawed' in your opinion is madness in itself as it isn't even at the point of release at the moment, it is in 'TESTING!'. Now just in case you are not clear on the concept of testing, it is when you put out an incomplete product to get feedback from the users on the possible issues with that product. On release, if it still has flaws then we will all have something to get worked up about, but until that point it is all just histeria.

Wierdly i love that last little statement as you had the same thoughts about BC and went on to see that as the best thing since sliced bread, lol.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Keep trying at what?? The point was that subs 'would' have dropped off when the servers were down?? What are you on about now??

As for your original topic, the fact that it is 'flawed' in your opinion is madness in itself as it isn't even at the point of release at the moment, it is in 'TESTING!'. Now just in case you are not clear on the concept of testing, it is when you put out an incomplete product to get feedback from the users on the possible issues with that product. On release, if it still has flaws then we will all have something to get worked up about, but until that point it is all just histeria.

Wierdly i love that last little statement as you had the same thoughts about BC and went on to see that as the best thing since sliced bread, lol.

Your last sentence is classic you.. I NEVER said anything bad about BC expansion and predicting it a train wreck as you are implying..  In fact I was very much a fan of WoW until WoTLK and the upcoming changes.. You blew it pal.. I hope more posters will go back and read my earlier post and see just how dishonest you are.. :)

Your last sentence is classic you.. I NEVER said anything bad about BC expansion and predicting it a train wreck as you are implying..  In fact I was very much a fan of WoW until WoTLK and the upcoming changes.. You blew it pal.. I hope more posters will go back and read my earlier post and see just how dishonest you are.. :)

Posted by Rydeson, 18/06/07 at 11:35 am

"I love the BC expansion.. I was fearful of buying it early on when my main character was only 55th level.. After speaking to a fellow gamer for some time I caved in.. I had convinced myself this expansion was going to be like EQ1's PoP expansion tailored for raiding guilds.. I was so wrong, when in fact this expansion was perfect IMO.. Everyone has a chance to access all parts of the game without needing to be in an elite raiding guild.. "

My point was that you compared things to the EQ1 PoP expansion when you feel they will be a fail and that is 'exactly' what you did with BC as the above post said. There was also the classic 'Why EQ2 Fails' post 2 which i guess you don't feel anymore either?

I think the overall thing i was getting to was that you can be wrong about things until you actually play them through, wouldn't you agree?

Posted by Rydeson, 18/06/07 at 11:35 am

"I love the BC expansion.. I was fearful of buying it early on when my main character was only 55th level.. After speaking to a fellow gamer for some time I caved in.. I had convinced myself this expansion was going to be like EQ1's PoP expansion tailored for raiding guilds.. I was so wrong, when in fact this expansion was perfect IMO.. Everyone has a chance to access all parts of the game without needing to be in an elite raiding guild.. "

My point was that you compared things to the EQ1 PoP expansion when you feel they will be a fail and that is 'exactly' what you did with BC as the above post said. Yep, and I remember those games from 3 years ago.. and WoW and EQ2 are nothing like they used to be :)  Those post are accurate as of 3 years ago, and on topic of the time.. I remember the general "concerns" that BC was compared to.. and that was how PoP was a tiered expansion.. In case you don't remember the unlocking of progression zones..  There was also the classic 'Why EQ2 Fails' post 2 which i guess you don't feel anymore either? I play EQ2 back when it was new, and currently subscribe to it.. EQ2 of years ago sucked and wasnt' worth my time :) 

I think the overall thing i was getting to was that you can be wrong about things until you actually play them through, wouldn't you agree? Nope.. I've played WoW long enough to see the changes and direction it's going.. and I dont' see it changing and I'm done chasing the carrot :)  Blizzard in my opinion has the WORST RAIDING FORMAT i have ever played in any online game.. EVER :) 

PS.. BC raiding was "iffy" at best...  however WoTLK is horrable and Cat is staying with that format.. /cancel

Why do I use EQ1 PoP as the failed example.. because it was anything but social.. A HUGE mistake that SOE did not see, or accept until mass exodus of subs, which I was one of..  In my opinion when you design mechanics that "exclude" people from being soial, you basically have signed your death warrant..  Trying to use one of my old post from 3 years ago to support your current argument was rather lame and disingenious at best :)  Next time you might not want to use a snapshot to discribe history..  

Why do I use EQ1 PoP as the failed example.. because it was anything but social.. A HUGE mistake that SOE did not see, or accept until mass exodus of subs, which I was one of..  In my opinion when you design mechanics that "exclude" people from being soial, you basically have signed your death warrant..  Trying to use one of my old post from 3 years ago to support your current argument was rather lame and disingenious at best :)  Next time you might not want to use a snapshot to discribe history..  

Yet this whole thread is based on opinions from a Beta testing phase of an expansion that you haven't actually played?

Excuse me if i feel the basis of this thread is a little skewed at best and the point i was getting at was that you fealt back then that something wasn't right with BC expansion before you actually took the time to dive in a play, yet you will not give the current expansion the same courtesy??

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Yet this whole thread is based on opinions from a Beta testing phase of an expansion that you haven't actually played?

Excuse me if i feel the basis of this thread is a little skewed at best and the point i was getting at was that you fealt back then that something wasn't right with BC expansion before you actually took the time to dive in a play, yet you will not give the current expansion the same courtesy??

Next he is going to complain about the expansion because the raids are not perfect yet.

We are 3-5 months away from launch, they just announced the guild perks a few weeks ago.  There has been very little actual playing testing done on them.  Um.. ok.. we admit, they aren't perfect.     Neither are the cata raids, heroics, battlegrounds, quests, zones, animations, spells, talents, etc etc etc.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please refrain from personal attacks in your discussion. Remember to follow our Rules of Conduct when posting. Thank you.