Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best side-scroll beat-em-up?

helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Hello everyone. I'm quite simply exhausted with MMO's. At best a different title will offer 1 new slightly innovative/different feature, yet completely fall behind in everything else because of it.

I found and DLed Dungeon Fighters Online and I was kind of hooked. I loved old school beat em up arcade games. Finding one with a persistent MMO world where you could group with friends and such seems like something different from all the other MMO garbage around atm.

With that said, what is the best one of these to get into? I heard good things about Maple Story, but also heard it's heavily grind/shop based.

Dungeon Fighter Onlne was great, but something about the graphics and how loaded the cities were really gave me a headache.

Dragonica was REALLY great. The polish on it seemed insane. However, I couldn't get my gamepad to work properly here (wouldn't go diagonal for some reason). Not only that, but the game appears to be showing signs of going down under.

What are some of the others.. grand chase? Fiesta?

Thanks in avdance for any advice/help!

Comments

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

SHANK!

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Clearly Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You can buy it through Xbox Arcade and all you need is two controls to play multiplayer. SHELL SHOCKED!

• TehJackalTehJackal Member Posts: 98

I would stay away from MS... I picked it up for S&Gs but it really became way more of a pain in the butt after a few weeks. People on the game are very immature, no one really talks to you, and yes the whole thing is pretty cash shop based if you ever plan on playing it seriously.

Cant really help you with one to choose though :/

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

Look @ Heroes 108 similar to DFO and Draconica

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Street of Rage

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Street of Rage

"Finding one with a persistent MMO world where you could group with friends and such seems like something different from all the other MMO garbage around atm."

As for Hero 108 or whatever, it seemed almost too easy. I know these games typically are pretty easy, but something about this one struck me as overly easy. I don't know that I could get into the premade characters that you use.

Have you played it?

Thanks a lot for the replies!

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

There is an odd little jewel called Viewtiful Joe that I found fun and interesting. I have it for the Gamecube and seems it might be available on PS2 also. Dont know about other platforms but it came to mind seeing this thread.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193

Streets of Rage!

That's the game!

I think 2 was the best of the series.

• GrimzayGrimzay Member Posts: 214

Hah, I still play streets of rage on my sega image

"We got rid of the trinity." How'd you do that? "Now everyone can heal." Sounds like you just took the mechanic and spread it thin. "Well no, there's one class that can do it better than others." I see, so they're healers. "No. They're.." -mind asplode-

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Dragonica is pretty much the only one that stood out for me, all the other's i've played were just lobby based or have the simple mario styled environments/platforms, get overly repetive aswell.

You'd be better off figuring out your gamepad issues, or just playing it with the keyboard like it was designed for (which works perfectly fine). Not many games even offer gamepad support, so if you happened to find a better game you'd probably still be stuck with using the keyboard anyways :P

• kumobladekumoblade Member UncommonPosts: 86

Streets of Rage 2 was probably the best beat-em-up ever with Golden Axe 2 following behind it.

Theres a Streets of Rage Remake project that is underworks that is really good as well.

• jisaacs1207jisaacs1207 Member Posts: 16

Commander Keen for Dos.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Clearly Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You can buy it through Xbox Arcade and all you need is two controls to play multiplayer. SHELL SHOCKED!

Having played the snes version, I SAY THIS!! Throwing enemies into your screen never felt so good!

BOOYAKA!

• jisaacs1207jisaacs1207 Member Posts: 16

Battletoads Double Dragon beats that easy.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Double Dragons was great. My favorite of all time was the arcade version of the X-men game. The one that had Nightwalker and Colossus. The really big version allowed for some crazy actoin with some friends.

• luchosanluchosan Member UncommonPosts: 2

Id have to agree that Xmen the arcade game is the best. "XMEN!!! Welcome, to DIE!!" Magneto.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Final Fight for me.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)