Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to MMOs!!!

Ultima12Ultima12 Member Posts: 17

Hi everyone.  I just wanted to say that I'm brand new to MMO's.  I'm a console gamer and I'm well aware that there is a lot of console hate on this site and that's fine, just be easy on me.  I'm much more a fan of games than I am a fan of a specific platform.  Anyway, this DC Universe Online really has me excited.  I think the game looks awesome and it really appears to be the 1st MMO that is being taken seriously on a console.  I've been hearing some pretty good press about it so far and I'm really excited to try out an MMO.  During my time researching DC Universe I've come across other MMO's and I've been really becoming interested in MMO"s period.  The idea of playing a game for literally years is really cool to me.  I love the idea of getting on your game and never knowing what to expect when you sign on.  I've been considering updating my PC and getting into MMO's.  My question to you all is what are some of the best MMO's out there?  I know that World of Warcraft is the most popular but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best.  I play a lot of shooters online and the most popular one is by far Call of Duty but it sure isn't the best. 

Comments

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Ok SoE shill.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by Ultima12

Hi everyone.  I just wanted to say that I'm brand new to MMO's.  I'm a console gamer and I'm well aware that there is a lot of console hate on this site and that's fine, just be easy on me.  I'm much more a fan of games than I am a fan of a specific platform.  Anyway, this DC Universe Online really has me excited.  I think the game looks awesome and it really appears to be the 1st MMO that is being taken seriously on a console.  I've been hearing some pretty good press about it so far and I'm really excited to try out an MMO.  During my time researching DC Universe I've come across other MMO's and I've been really becoming interested in MMO"s period.  The idea of playing a game for literally years is really cool to me.  I love the idea of getting on your game and never knowing what to expect when you sign on.  I've been considering updating my PC and getting into MMO's.  My question to you all is what are some of the best MMO's out there?  I know that World of Warcraft is the most popular but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best.  I play a lot of shooters online and the most popular one is by far Call of Duty but it sure isn't the best. 

Most, if not all, MMO's have a free trial, ranging from a few days to a few weeks. I suggest picking the games that seem good to you and signing up for a trial.

That said, here's a very nice list of games, sorted by category:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/221054/Update-072410Major-rehaul-Easily-find-game-by-catagory.html

Good luck :).

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

It depends on what you like as to which MMORPG you would like to play.

So, what do you like doing?

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

World of Warcraft is the best game out there.

It is a great game to get your MMORPG feet planted. Everything you need to immerse into MMORPG is there. With millions of subs, you'll not run out of people to meet, places to discover and a world that will challenge you.

MMORPGS are slooow. Compared to consoles, MMOGs don't have the speed that you enjoy with even the simplest game, Sonic The Hedgehog. There is a reason for this, we just can't have millions of people whipping in and out of your bandwidth... your computer would epic fail. On a console, you can team with 32-64 players and not worry about character speed because console graphics have been running on 64 bits for eons.

Mmk...maybe I just need to say, welcome to computer gaming.

I suggest trying something with a free trial and decent graphics (like WoW). As one person said, WoW can run on two tin cans and string... not literally. What you really need to do is to realize that PC games are not as great as console games (with respect to being able to go anywhere and do anything). In MMORPG's you will find yourself needing others to accomplish goals. You will find yourself weak for many levels and you will rival those who have. Most of all, you will have fun if you keep an open mind.

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by Ataaka

No its not.  Wait for a newer game coming out.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

If your serious then you should give WoW a try and that should help as far as anything else judge them by how you feel about playing WoW. There are some company's thay i would advise staying away from but you will see who they are by reading comments here.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I'm not sure where you get the idea from that MMO's have a hate for console players, or if you just mean this site then i've not seen much evidence of it anyway.

Everyone loves a console

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

in this site  as far as i've seen people hate console, people hate WoW, people hate MMOs and people hate people, but you can read good threads without such hate in it, sometimes the trolls let one pass. hehe

About your first mmo experience, i'd suggest WoW or Lord of the Rings Online. If you are a Tolkien's Fan then forget about WoW and go right at Lotro. As a console gamer you'll enjoy it more than WoW. Less Grind (in the begining at least) , well scripted epic quests and one of the best mmo graphics out there.

Those 2 games IMO are the best ones to the First Time MMO experience !

Welcome and good luck in your choices.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by kuhronusu

in this site  as far as i've seen people hate console, people hate WoW, people hate MMOs and people hate people, but you can read good threads without such hate in it, sometimes the trolls let one pass. hehe

well to be fair its the same everywhere else, and if one is new to the MMO Scene then its one of the first things to get used to really.

Anyway, if your new to MMO's I'd get your arse straight in the deep end and go check out Eve Online. ;)

• krakkenkrakken Member Posts: 200

ahh fresh meat for the grinder image

just kidding & welcome

for me the golden days of mmorpg's are over and  i just returned to console games (just bought a ps 3) after 15 years (my  last one was a sega saturn, bahh i'm old)

a lot of people will tell you that wow is the best, for me personally it is one of the worst (no offense to wow fans here)

when it comes to mmorpgs i guess every individual has a different taste, so don't listen to much to other opinions and try some by your self.

if you can tell us what you like and what not we can do some recommendations.

if you like comics and if you are a casual gamer i can recommend city of heroes/villains. the game was released back in 2004 and the grafix are a bit dated (i still play it from time to time). there is also champions online wich is newer with better grafix but it is not my cup of tea (was bored after 2 weeks).

i'm also looking forward to dc universe online, not sure if i will like it.

have fun!

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

it really appears to be the 1st MMO that is being taken seriously on a console. 

By people utterly ignorant of Final Fantasy XI, one of the most successful MMOs ever, I would say.

• Ultima12Ultima12 Member Posts: 17

Thanks for all your help guys!!  I feel very welcome in your community.  Thanks for all of the great comments.  Someone mentioned Lord of the Rings online.  That sounds really cool.  I love Tolkein and I love the movies so that might work for me.  A lot of you were mentioning WoW.  If it really is a great game then I wouldn't mind trying that.  As far as my tastes are concerned, I'm into just about everything.  There really isn't a specific genre that I like I just like about everything.  I've been seeing a lot about EVE Online.  How is that game?

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

I've been seeing a lot about EVE Online.  How is that game?

we'r still waiting that they add a game to it. Its an incredibly rich and detailed spreadsheet tho...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Welcome to mmorpg community.

It all depends on what you want from a game.

You like doing it all yourself no holding hands.(sandbox)

Or you want the game telling you what to do no thinking needed holding hands from a-z?(themeparks)

After this selection we can go further and come to a mmo you maybe best suited to your needs:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• Kzang151Kzang151 Member Posts: 149

Stay away from MMOs. They will wreck havoc on your social life, make you gain weight, and all the things that go with a seditary life. :P Hella fun they are though.

Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by Ataaka

Its maybe most popular, but by far not best, its maybe closer to worse ever mmo you can think of hehe.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

I will do my best to maintain a good balance.  I'm married with a 1yr old so I know what's most important in my life.  My wife is really good about letting me have my game time, though, as long I don't get too carried away.  LOL!  Thanks for the warning, though.

Originally posted by DanMcC

Try Guild Wars. They offer a free trial.

If you like it, buy the Guild Wars trilogy (GW, Factions, & Nightfall). There's no subcription fees and it'll get you ready for GW2.

Although you could probably wait for GW2 as it's 250 years after GW.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

I checked out some trailers for it and it looks cool.  Thanks for the advice.  Would you recommend it over World of Warcraft?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

This is what I recommend as I too love MMOs and am not a "hater" of certain games or platforms. I'm looking forward to DCUO as well. However...in the interim before it comes out, I suggest playing the free trials of these games:

World of Warcraft (its just plain fun and polished)

Lord of the Rings Online (similar to Warcraft but with better environmental graphics and an actual storyline that is fun to partake in)

Everquest 2 (while this game lacks in important areas i.e. polish, story, fun combat, it makes up for it in guild options, alternate advancement, housing and collections. Worth playing if anything just to experience what can be done in an MMO.

I will even suggest Vanguard, as I have not seen a better class lineup in any game(except FFXI but that's a different ball game) and world size.

If you dig PVP check out Warhammer Online, Darkfall, Age of Conan, and Eve. Each offers something different.

By the time you try all of these out, you will have a better understanding of what you dig about MMOs and what a great time to enter the genre as a fan with some great ones coming down the road, I call them the true next gen of MMORPGs.

FFXIV, SWTOR, GW2, Rift, Tera too name a few.

P.S. I would have mentioned FFXI, but the game is dated and with FFXIV about to launch, you would be better served by playing that fresh.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by elocke

This is what I recommend as I too love MMOs and am not a "hater" of certain games or platforms. I'm looking forward to DCUO as well. However...in the interim before it comes out, I suggest playing the free trials of these games:

World of Warcraft (its just plain fun and polished)

Lord of the Rings Online (similar to Warcraft but with better environmental graphics and an actual storyline that is fun to partake in)

Everquest 2 (while this game lacks in important areas i.e. polish, story, fun combat, it makes up for it in guild options, alternate advancement, housing and collections. Worth playing if anything just to experience what can be done in an MMO.

I will even suggest Vanguard, as I have not seen a better class lineup in any game(except FFXI but that's a different ball game) and world size.

If you dig PVP check out Warhammer Online, Darkfall, Age of Conan, and Eve. Each offers something different.

By the time you try all of these out, you will have a better understanding of what you dig about MMOs and what a great time to enter the genre as a fan with some great ones coming down the road, I call them the true next gen of MMORPGs.

FFXIV, SWTOR, GW2, Rift, Tera too name a few.

P.S. I would have mentioned FFXI, but the game is dated and with FFXIV about to launch, you would be better served by playing that fresh.

Thanks for the info!!