Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alienware m11x, or similar size laptop.

OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

I am looking at this for the size and the performance.

I'm under the impression that it is comparable in size to a 13" laptop, and so also larger than the 12" from ASUS 1215.

I think I could do for instance with the Asus model, model: Asus Eee PC 1215N. A friend has the ASUS, played EVE and some other games with good enough result. So I just have a little experience from that. But it gives a good hint that I should be satisfied with the performance from the Alienware computer.

The price on the m11x is the highest I will go, let's say $1000ish.

The size of the Alienware is not feeling that good, as I believe... well I really should look at the 13" laptops aswell when the size seems to come close. The screen 11.6" is not the problem, the problem is a screensize 11.6" on a close to 13" format laptop.

Acer timeline, 13" model.

Height: 22/28.9mm (0.86/1.14 inches), Width: 324mm (12.7 inches), Depth: 235mm (9.25 inches)

M11x

Height: 32.7mm (1.29 inches), Width: 285.7mm (11.25 inches), Depth: 233.3mm (9.19 inches)

I've been looking around, at notebookcheck and other places.

It beats me, it is really hard to look at numbers and get a feel for the size. How the size 'feels' and not only the physical and exact size.

I don't know.... :S Any input appreciated.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
"You have the right not to be killed"

Comments

• dleveldlevel Member UncommonPosts: 88

just got my m11x R2 powered with i7 cpu. this little thing is a beast, its 2 kg weight,the stracture feels really steady (dell ftw). The rubberized matterial in R2 makes it really cute in touch...

i recommended as all reviews that mention is the most powerfull laptop in this size. also with display and hdmi outputs u get this little beast to ur tv/monitor.

anything you would like to ask i m here.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Thanks for reply.

How did the size feels like?

The first impression you got. -Hey, this is small, or, -Oh, i thougth it was to be slightly smaller.

(I have cut out paper sheets and both formats is actually quite small.)

I'm convinced that in the end I'll be satisfied with whatever I choose, though.

I am picking beetween Acer TimelineX 3820 13" and the Alienware M11x.

As far as price goes the Acer is cheaper. Performance I would think thay are in the same area. The design, in full, is better for the M11x. I mean I'm getting tired of these curvy udersides of laptops. Straight edges, looking at left/right side on M11x is nicer. [   ] instead of (   ).

(I'm almost convincing myself here with my own arguments, but please note that I am grateful for any opinions.)

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Orphes

Thanks for reply.

How did the size feels like?

The first impression you got. -Hey, this is small, or, -Oh, i thougth it was to be slightly smaller.

(I have cut out paper sheets and both formats is actually quite small.)

I'm convinced that in the end I'll be satisfied with whatever I choose, though.

I am picking beetween Acer TimelineX 3820 13" and the Alienware M11x.

As far as price goes the Acer is cheaper. Performance I would think thay are in the same area. The design, in full, is better for the M11x. I mean I'm getting tired of these curvy udersides of laptops. Straight edges, looking at left/right side on M11x is nicer. [   ] instead of (   ).

(I'm almost convincing myself here with my own arguments, but please note that I am grateful for any opinions.)

Hey my younger brother just got one and let me tell you you get over the size as soon as you start playing anygame and max graphics with no lag and 100+ fps everywhere. Anyways you can always just hook it up to a bigger monitor 

The first impression when i touched it was like "OMG" seriously, it is so steady that overfilled my requirements. I had 15.6 laptop which i sold ( similar specs ) cause of the size, also i got a 8.9'' EEE PC ... so m11x is something between those too, it feels right size ( i m used to 23'' monitor and 40'' tv but still for a laptop the 11.6 screen of m11x is just fine )

Also i forgot to mention about the keyboard, and i dont mean the lights etc ( which is cute and very good at night ) i mean about the feeling, is perfect .. except the directional keys (which i never use, games played with wasd nowadays) that are almost hidden in the right corner.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Ssqvy7SYU#t=3m36s check this fully customize color of keyboard also

edit: about the Acer, i just saw it, its cool, but is a normal laptop, alienware is DELL and is unique :P go for it. also get the i7 or at least i5 version, not go to the old dual core one, and also check that u get the R2 model ( is the new one ) i can provide you with ebay seller which is fast and reliable if you want.

edit 2: the 8 cell battery and the nvidia pronus think  makes it the most less-battery hungry laptop i had in hands. i mean u can be on the internet surfing etc and it uses the intergraded intel vga which u can have for 6-7 hours, and when u change to a game, it auto-changes to the 335m and u play ( like 3 hours with the 335m ) those are my personal experience times, dell mentions 7-8 and 3-4 wiith 335m.  

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Seriously blew my expectations for small computers out of the water when I got to borrow a m11x. I went travelling and I can tell you this little puppy makes a long international trip a blast! That and the fact about every person stopped to look at it lol. I was sitting in Taiwan playing Fallen Earth and had at least 500 people stop and say how well it was running. Not to mention I got a executive from google looking at it and ended up having drinks... word of advice, avoid Taiwanese beers ugh. 

• gusbotogusboto Member Posts: 5

I would check out http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html .

if your interested

Originally posted by gusboto

I would check out http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html .

They have better customer support and better prices.

I am not certain about the current models but traditionaly alienware was built from a clevo barebones laptop which you can purchase here as a sager.

So unless you want to spend some extra cash to have your laptop lit up like christmas id stay away from alienware.

im not into the flash. just my opinion.

all those light go off by pressing 1 button ( though they are very helpful at night ). Alienware is not only about lights and design, is also quality, many ppl doesnt know that alienware is DELL machines.. the laptops in the site u mentioned can have only i5 ( the 13 inch models ) and the 310m vga card which is like 3 times slower than the 335m...

• gusbotogusboto Member Posts: 5

get what you want

if they were cheaper i would consider them cause asus is cool. but i customize the 13' one, with i5 and 310m and its like 300$ cheaper that the one i bought ( i7, 335m ) ... so i guess they are not cheaper as u say... i cant compare it with the old alienware with core 2 duo too cause those had the 335m too ( which i say is 3 times faster than the 310m )

get what you want

I will, but don't be afraid to argument for your cause.  ;)

funny think gusboto u edited both your posts and it seems i reply nonsense :P anyway that was my 2cents

Ordered it, delivery guesstimated to 16th august.

Meanwhile I'm checking the ACer one out in store... but there should be something significant happening for me to cancel the order on the m11x.

Anyway, hingeproblems is that something that I should worry about? Or is it just like every other computer faults, where problems get blowned up out of proportions.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALIENWARE-M11x-11-6-i7-640UM-2-26GHz-1GB-GT-335M-/120593887196?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item1c13f4afdc

i got it from this guy ( u can see my + as salaz72 user on hir profile ) i had it in my home in 6 days without any plus custom fees ( i dont know in your country how it goes, but they use 4 times lower price to get over customs)

no i havent seen anyproblem, it runs smooth and fast.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by dlevel

many ppl doesnt know that alienware is DELL machines..

And many of us do, and it's why we don't buy them. DELL has always been crap.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by dlevel

many ppl doesnt know that alienware is DELL machines..

And many of us do, and it's why we don't buy them. DELL has always been crap.

Dell has generally been fine for me and I have a number of their systems. I did purchase an XPS laptop a couple of years ago which ran fine about 18 months and then started to overheat constantly. When Dell couldn't figure it out they replaced it with a new model XPS 1710 and it has been running with out any problems since. Dell also came to my home each time to service the system unlike those at that xotic link where you have to ship the unit in and wait for it to be fixed and returned adding to the delay in getting it fixed. The Dell and Alienware systems include in home warranty repair.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Actually, Dell is just the company that sticks the components into the barebones machines and ships the computers. Really, Alienware computers are Clevo computers, not Dell computers. Dell doesn't manufacture them, they get them manufactured by Clevo, pop a CPU, RAM and hard drive into the appropriate slots, and stamp a Dell/Alienware logo on them, and ship them off.

Clevo machines are some of the best there are. Alienware computers are based on only the finest barebones machines, with the best computing hardware, screens and cooling. That said, Sager offers those same types of Clevo machines for hundreds less, so if you're going to get the same computer, why buy from Alienware instead of Sager, when you're just going to get almost the same machine with nothing but a different logo?

Now, of course, this doesn't apply for the M11x. To my knowledge, no other company has access to any barebones that comes close to what Dell uses for that machine. It's not overly powerful compared to bigger notebooks, but for an 11' notebook, it's exceptional.

I have never had any problems with computers I bougth from Dell. This should be my fourth computer I buy from them. I've have had one laptop and two desktops, of which one is still in use.

As for hardware, and as people say "It is not they who build the computers" it is really odd to say that Dell don't make good computers. A chip is a chip is a chip...

Anyway.

I canceled the M11x and ordered the Acer 3820TG (i5 430 and ATI 5670). That laptop was quite powerful, and comparing price to performance it was really good. For instance I was able to play EVE online dual screens, dual clients. Aswell as Fallen Earth. (Yes there shure is better laptops and fasters, but this one is pretty cheap.) So, again, performance wise this laptop is a big "thumbs up" thing!

I did return the Acer as I was not satisfied with the whole package. I was comparing with the looks and size of the M11x and as that was really more what I wanted. The performance and lower price did not really matter in the end.

I got a thing going for the size of the M11x, the design of it. And the 3820TG was bigger, same general design as all other laptops... yes the details may differ. But well I've seen it before. I was content with the build quality though.

A smart person maybe would go with the 3820TG and I assume that my friends would advice me to take that one. But I am not smart nor did I ask them for advice. Both computers would set me off enough that I should get one that I feel content with, that I am pleased with the general feel of the computer.

So at the moment I am waiting for the M11x and will update this thread with my intial impression on that one compared to my initial impression of the Acer 3820TG laptop.

hehe, i m on vacation now, and i m enjoying martial empires with the m11x... 

glad u ended up with the right choise