Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy God space combat confirmed?!

Comments

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by Tarka

eburn.....as the saying goes.....lets learn to walk before we attempt to run ;)

I agree, but..

BioWare isn't a start up game developer that got tacked on to a huge publisher that's trying to push something that's never been done before.

Think of the top 8 MMOs and the things that make them stand out. City of Heroes / Villains mission editior is a big deal once they got it done. It's been awhile and the problems and the perks of such a system are well documented. We're saying TOR is going to be a WOW clone.

Why not be more hopeful that they'll follow Blizzard's playbook and polish the features of the 'okay' games that came before and give it a go in a manner the company is known for?

Also I purely hope (and more so doubt) that someone who can make it happens sees that post and uses it. That'd be awesome. IF they named it the 'secret:eburn <3 wow orc' project that'd be even sweeter.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by eburn

eburn.....as the saying goes.....lets learn to walk before we attempt to run ;)

I agree, but..

BioWare isn't a start up game developer that got tacked on to a huge publisher that's trying to push something that's never been done before.

Think of the top 8 MMOs and the things that make them stand out. City of Heroes / Villains mission editior is a big deal once they got it done. It's been awhile and the problems and the perks of such a system are well documented. We're saying TOR is going to be a WOW clone.

Why not be more hopeful that they'll follow Blizzard's playbook and polish the features of the 'okay' games that came before and give it a go in a manner the company is known for?

Also I purely hope (and more so doubt) that someone who can make it happens sees that post and uses it. That'd be awesome. IF they named it the 'secret:eburn <3 wow orc' project that'd be even sweeter.

Bioware isn't a new company, you are correct.  But they ARE venturing into waters that they haven't sailed in before.

Don't get me wrong, i really DO hope they can pull a "blizzard" in regards to making a good game.  But being Bioware doesn't guarantee anything.  History has shown that it doesn't matter who you are and what you've done previously, you can still mess it up.  Just ask Richard Garriott and Brad McQuaid for details on that.

For now, I'm just hoping that we get a "launch ready" quality fun game that has a foundation built on the very basic needs of the customer.  Needs which are not just paid "lip service", and where devs don't attempt to cover over the faults with "gimmicks" and features (such as space combat).  My concern is that by diverting resources to put space combat in the game, they maybe risking the overall level of quality of the "main" part of the game. 

In short, resources are finite and so is time.  Diverting resources to implement a "minigame" for launch could be too risky and may severely impact the level of quality of the rest of the game.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by medmarijuana

I'm just laughing right now at allt he people on the SWG and SWTOR and even this forum taht were soooooo Sure that SWTor Would not have any space... !

its better to hope for the best but expect the worst, than to expect the best and be given the worst.

Manage thy expectations and you'll be in a perpetual state of happiness.

And then there's the thought that the space combat is just a tacked on afterthought that has no bearing on the actual game? It'll probably be more like FPS rounds than any persistant MMO conflict, so why don't we just save the time and play star wars Battlefront 2. 

If, however, the space combat is worth a damn, then they've finally done something that WoW or other MMOs don't already have, except for SWG, and two soon to be released space combat MMOs... 

• abalabal Member UncommonPosts: 169

My hype level for this game just suffered a bump due to this extra feature.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by Garvon3

I'm just laughing right now at allt he people on the SWG and SWTOR and even this forum taht were soooooo Sure that SWTor Would not have any space... !

its better to hope for the best but expect the worst, than to expect the best and be given the worst.

And then there's the thought that the space combat is just a tacked on afterthought that has no bearing on the actual game? It'll probably be more like FPS rounds than any persistant MMO conflict, so why don't we just save the time and play star wars Battlefront 2. 

If, however, the space combat is worth a damn, then they've finally done something that WoW or other MMOs don't already have, except for SWG, and two soon to be released space combat MMOs... 

From the official announcement, I get the impression that space combat has no connection in terms of gameplay or progression with the main part of the game (the land based part).  In other words, its a separate "minigame" with very little relevance.  As you say, an after-thought.  So once, we seem to agree on something Garvon ;)

For the moment, I'm not going to assume anything.  I'll take the announcement on board, and wait to see how the game turns out at launch.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by Garvon3

From the official announcement, I get the impression that space combat has no connection in terms of gameplay or progression with the main part of the game (the land based part).  In other words, its a separate "minigame" with very little relevance.  An afterthought.

So it has to be land based?

I always found crafting to be nothing more than a fancy collection mini-game. More akin to easter egg hunting than doing anything really productive.

But since it's a traditional MMO pip and a lot of people enjoy it; would it's omission due to it being seen as just a useless minigame that has nothing to do with advancing to Sith Overlord be seen as a waste of resources?

Honestly think of all the thinking, programming, planning, plotting, and what not that has to go in to it. That could be used elsewhere.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

There already, and whaddayaknow, the grass actually IS greener here and feels more real, better than the scorched, ugly grass of haters or the plastic fake grass of fanbois image

About the space combat: I don't expect it to be big (the planets will be gigantic), I do expect it to be polished and fun.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

From the official announcement, I get the impression that space combat has no connection in terms of gameplay or progression with the main part of the game (the land based part).  In other words, its a separate "minigame" with very little relevance.  As you say, an after-thought.  So once, we seem to agree on something Garvon ;)

For the moment, I'm not going to assume anything.  I'll take the announcement on board, and wait to see how the game turns out at launch.

Hmmm, I don't know.

This is what Harvest151 in the other spacecombat  thread said:

Originally posted by harvest151

Originally posted by Xondar123

Hah! I suspected as much.

I expect that a lot of people who were bashing SWTOR because of "no space combat" will have to change their tune.

Makes no difference. They will whine and bitch ABOUT the space combat, or how shitty it is, or some other reason to hate it.  These forums are filled with bile to put it nicely. Doesn't matter how well they actually do, people here just focus on the negative aspect of things.

For those of you who WERE NOT there:

It is not a minigame or some half-ass implementation. Full integrated story and missions based in space that are completely optional. The sooner people quit bitching about sandbox blah blah and how much they are SURE will and will not be in, the sooner they will see the level of immersion and depth they are putting in the game,

Read the article closely. When the transcript is released read that too.  Then maybe some of you can quit talking out of your ass for a change.

Sorry, I just get sick of the doom and gloom that floats in this toilet. I have hopes this news will shut some people up, but most likely they'll flame me and move on to something else to bitch about. But thats typical for mmorpg.

So i just wait for more information to arrive and see how Bioware thinks to fill it in.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

some of you must be a little newish to how mmo devs put out info vs what actually happens.

You have to read between the lines.

Words like optional and alternative are just ways of saying shallow or minigame or not impactful, or at best disconnected from the development and role your character plays in your mmo community (if this game even ends up having one).

• NorellNorell Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Swanea

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=173964

Sweet.

Freaking. Sweet.

This is the ENGINE that will be used in Space.  A very early release, created when TOR was first being worked on.  This is NOT INGAME FOOTAGE OF TOR SPACE COMBAT.

yep i think its awsome and im excited 

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

just to let everyone whos posted on this thread about what they "think" space combat is going to be like, you dont KNOW anything. there isnt a single person in this thread that works for bioware. they are the only ones at this point that KNOW whats going to actually be in game.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I for one am glad they are adding space combat to this game. It further expands the virtual world they're creating and gives players more options. Very, very nice, whether it is a minigame or full-fledged part of the game, it doesn't matter. Just the fact that they are considering it opens a lot.

Looks like I'll be playing this game alongside EVE heh heh.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Timukas

Definitely good news and this game went into my "to buy" list now as it seems they are trying to come out with something that really is worth my money. I don't care even about Bioware story telling and voice overs anymore that were the biggest turn offs for me personally :)

That is a real shame because storytelling and voice is a big part of the game.... and cannot really be avoided.

It is a real shame as I would preffer a properly developed space environment , just ship combat will be a little dull. For the space side of SWTOR to work I would expect.

• Properly mapped out Galaxy Hundreds of planets / Space Ports / Asteroid Based and the like.

• The Ability to discover other than the core planets with know trade routes, none of the galaxy would be mapped or known difficult concept. this info could be gained from knowledge sharing or learning specific astrological skills

• Prospecting (All these ships need to be built)

• Ground and Space based

• Ship construction

• Ship Types

• Technology development

• Space combat Conflict or PvP based

• Around controlled planetry access or specific faction based areas of the Galaxy

• Generated Planets simulator for exploration

• Small Planets with respect to content and quests

• Asteroid Fields and Space Bases

and this is just for starters, if the space element of the game has no real depth then there is no point to it.

Fighting ship to ship is no different than PC to PC or NPC its just a different skin and more gear, for real immersion teh galaxy needs developing, to cover discovers and quest content that is meaningfull to charachter development.

That said the game is in development and to be honest , it is getting bought regardless of anything said in the forumns because in reality what people say here means nothing. Hands on gameplay is what counts nothing else.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I read today that  the main writer from Mass Effect has moved over to TOR....Drew Karpywarpy(whatever his last name is).

If you never fully played thru Mass Effect 1, it was a very compelling story. Even till the very end you were finding out new things. That fact, along with this space news is just more positives for TOR. I am not happy to see him leave ME series, before it is complete, but glad he is still with BW.

As for the Vets.....heh do I really need to say anything?

There is a thread up in this forum about "would you prefer to play PRECioUs over TOR". They just cant get it out of their little narcissistic minds that we dont care about the PRECioUS. Some of us have been forced to endure the whining around here for yrs. You comment back in one of their oft- repeated posts,  and you end up with a warning/ban...or worse a clown stalker like I have had to deal with due to my "outspoken" nature.

They really need to STFU about it already...or at least keep it to the vet forums( I thought that was reason the forum was given to them in first place /shrug). You would think nearly 5 yrs would be enough time to get over it.

I am telling ya flat out....A TV series would pay for some of these folks to do a show. The reason being you cant possibly make anything up as far-fetched as the temper-tantrums we see on display here at MMORPG.com . If some of them were to end up on Dr Phil eventually, I would bet a dollar against a doughnut he would point & laugh....then give a "Beotch plz" comment.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• WindssoulWindssoul Member Posts: 172

Well, the announcement pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Two reasons: Consular as it's own class, and Player ships (that also seem to act like housing as well as for combat purposes).

They will have my axe.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Moaky07

I read today that  the main writer from Mass Effect has moved over to TOR....Drew Karpywarpy(whatever his last name is).

If you never fully played thru Mass Effect 1, it was a very compelling story. Even till the very end you were finding out new things. That fact, along with this space news is just more positives for TOR. I am not happy to see him leave ME series, before it is complete, but glad he is still with BW.

As for the Vets.....heh do I really need to say anything?

There is a thread up in this forum about "would you prefer to play PRECioUs over TOR". They just cant get it out of their little narcissistic minds that we dont care about the PRECioUS. Some of us have been forced to endure the whining around here for yrs. You comment back in one of their oft- repeated posts,  and you end up with a warning/ban...or worse a clown stalker like I have had to deal with due to my "outspoken" nature.

They really need to STFU about it already...or at least keep it to the vet forums( I thought that was reason the forum was given to them in first place /shrug). You would think nearly 5 yrs would be enough time to get over it.

I am telling ya flat out....A TV series would pay for some of these folks to do a show. The reason being you cant possibly make anything up as far-fetched as the temper-tantrums we see on display here at MMORPG.com . If some of them were to end up on Dr Phil eventually, I would bet a dollar against a doughnut he would point & laugh....then give a "Beotch plz" comment.

Agreed. I dont know how far along the third installment of ME is but perhaps the writing is pretty much done on that game. At any rate it is good news for TOR.  As for the "vets" I think most rational people quit taking them seriously years ago. Especially game designers.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• segynsegyn Member Posts: 234

As much as I like to hear this, it sounds a little overly ambitious.  BW have a lot to deal with concerning the "ground based" part of the game, let alone a space-based side as well before launch.

Which infers a few possibilities:

1. The development of the "ground based" part of the game maybe, in BW's opinion, further along than we anticipated.  Thus allowing them to divert crucial resources to developing the space-based part of the game.

2. The space based part of the game won't be that big of a focus, regardless of what this announcement implies and therefore will not take up much in terms of resources for development.  People will be automatically thinking right now that this will be a TOR version of JTL, that may not be the case.

3. BW may be "spreading themselves too thin" with regards to resource allocation, and thus they risk the chance that the game will end up only partially launch-ready in both the ground-based and space-based areas.  Personally, if it was indeed a matter of deciding where to divert resources, I would rather ensure a 100% launch ready ground-based game than a 50/50 launch ready ground and space based game.

Or it was planned from the start and they had an entirely different set of dev's working on space. Everyone keeps saying it deters from ground combat how about if they didn't have space they would have just hired 8 less devs. Maybee that is the case and having space won't effect ground at all.

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by cyphers

Hmmm, I don't know.

This is what Harvest151 in the other spacecombat  thread said:

Originally posted by harvest151

Originally posted by Xondar123

Hah! I suspected as much.

I expect that a lot of people who were bashing SWTOR because of "no space combat" will have to change their tune.

Makes no difference. They will whine and bitch ABOUT the space combat, or how shitty it is, or some other reason to hate it.  These forums are filled with bile to put it nicely. Doesn't matter how well they actually do, people here just focus on the negative aspect of things.

For those of you who WERE NOT there:

It is not a minigame or some half-ass implementation. Full integrated story and missions based in space that are completely optional. The sooner people quit bitching about sandbox blah blah and how much they are SURE will and will not be in, the sooner they will see the level of immersion and depth they are putting in the game,

Read the article closely. When the transcript is released read that too.  Then maybe some of you can quit talking out of your ass for a change.

Sorry, I just get sick of the doom and gloom that floats in this toilet. I have hopes this news will shut some people up, but most likely they'll flame me and move on to something else to bitch about. But thats typical for mmorpg.

So i just wait for more information to arrive and see how Bioware thinks to fill it in.

You do realize that the same dev that worked on JTL is the same dev that has been working on TOR right?  I am sure he knows how to make a space game. They said alternate meaning the same thing it meant in swg , as in YOU do NOT HAVE to do it.  Please, if you don't know what you are talking about than stop talking like you do.   The guy is right, it gets old the crap you here on these forums, all the bitching, all the negativity.   If anyone has killed communities and games it is the people doing the bitching on the forums on all these MMORPGs and games. And for anyone saying it "deters" ground combat , they have a whole different team that focuses on space alone.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Nice!!!!! Wing commander and Free lancer in space!!!! I am in. 

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I am not that surprised.  I thought it may or may not happen, depending on whether they got space combat to a point they were happy with it (which is not trivial in an MMO, especially one where you select targets).  Nice to see they got there.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

This means SW:TOR is now 2 GAMES IN ONE! It is now a MMO version of KOTOR AND a space sim wrapped into one delicious bundle.

The only problem is that Bioware has never made a space-fighting sim before. Will their inexperience be their downfall in this category? Or will they prove themselves to be able to work out of their element?

Also, if this game has space combat, it might be the EVE-killer as well as ALREADY being the WoW-killer.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

This means SW:TOR is now 2 GAMES IN ONE! It is now a MMO version of KOTOR AND a space sim wrapped into one delicious bundle.

The only problem is that Bioware has never made a space-fighting sim before. Will their inexperience be their downfall in this category? Or will they prove themselves to be able to work out of their element?

Also, if this game has space combat, it might be the EVE-killer as well as ALREADY being the WoW-killer.

Not sure a space sim is really THAT hard.  X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter is still a great game even today and it isn't like there has been a whole lot going on in the genre since then.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

I just want to say that in the other thread I was slightly disappointed with the keeping of the trinity. In this thread however I find myself being pleasantly surprised so I guess you could say this balances things out for me.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

Somehow I don't think that SW:ToR will be an EVE-killer. I don't think the two games will be similar, at all, other than they are both MMOs and in the sci-fi genre. It looks to me like you could have a subscription for both, and not ever feel like you're playing the same thing. EVE is a sandbox, whereas SW:ToR sounds like it's being shaped into a themepark. Just that alone makes them incredibly different. So people who prefer sandboxes will stick with EVE, those who want a sci-fi themepark are probably playing SWG or STO rather than EVE anyway.

I doubt I'll be leaving EVE for SW:ToR: I'll play both at the same time image

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.