Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What direction would have been the best?

eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

What direction would have been the best route for SWG back in early 2004 when SWG had been out for a few months already?  What are some of things they did wrong that could have made a game that would still be playable for vets today?  Also when I think of SWG, there really wasnt all that much content to jump into dungeon wise.  Sure there was imperial base/rebel and the warren, nightsisters and tuskin fort( I think I Went to tuskin for one to many times as well as every other SWG player)deathwatch bunker, sith lords on yavin4 and the jedi temple.  Other then those places, where were we supose to go.  I remember after CU I had been to all of them so many times, and since everyone was bitching so much about cu it wasnt even fun going to those places.  What could have SOE added that would have given players something to sink there teeth into in the form of dungeons? Was there enough in the first place to keep everyone happy untill this day? 

Comments

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

While I can understand people saying "there wasn't much content", I gotta disagree. You're right, there weren't many "theme parks" or "dungeons", but the content that was there was 100% UNIQUE!

• Decay, while I despised it in CU, was a brilliant concept and it forced me to do more "RL" things (shopping). Add the A-Tab to the decay model and you have an ideal compromise IMO.

• No ITV's forced me to travel and be an "explorer".

• Having to pick and choose which ship I brought and parked where made me a valet at times.

• Getting my bike repaired forced me to go to player cities and look for a garage.

• Trainers!!! Best addition EVER!

• Bankable XP made me TRY other weapons rather than ditching a good group to go cash in my XP.

• Languages...lame I guess because once you learned it you knew it, but it was a touch of reality.

• Multiple professions meant I could try different things. With grind groups, you could be back to 80 in a night or 2.

• Being a Mayor took real work.

There was a lack of "guided" content at times, but the content WAS there. Had they simply added to that foundation (more "quests"), we would have the strongest MMO on the market today. SWTOR would be a "pffft" game...not the SWG killer it's going to be. SWG would be the focus of Fan Faire, not the red headed step child.

It wasn't perfect and it certainly had flaws. I like NGE combat better (when it works), but at the time, I loved the casual nature of SWG's...but I'm a FPS fan so the NGE style was more "me". The lack of "quests" was an issue, but that's where expansions come in - Mustafar was PACKED when it was released. Imagine if they had focused on just new content for the past 5 years, not tweaks and fixes to the NGE. The 1st year of NGE was all denial tbh...very little in terms of "content". Hell...until the 5 "Heroics", the NGE exhausted all of SWG's content on grinding to 90. The lack of "tutorials" was something they should have focused more on tbh...a um..."friend" of mine...spent every waking moment grinding in groups at the MO...he was 72 before he realized there was a GROUP chat option. Silly shit like that needed to be explained better. The lack even then of Imp vs Reb and lack of a "war" was obvious. I like the /pvp command, but the recruiters then served the purpose that Restuss does today - common meeting place(s) for PvPers, but it worked better because it was open world and in multiple locations. Restuss removed World PvP in favor of a centralized, isolated location - creating the hoard mentality players today have.

To summarize...had they simply focused on "stuff" to do that had a Star Wars feel and expanded upon the solid core mechanics they had in place, I think we'd have a killer game still.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

All good info, Do you think it possible SOE could have added more dungeons into there game?  What kinda other content could they have added to keep people hapy while perserving there core code of the game?

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Been a while, so forgive me if I forget anything...

SWG was a problem child from the start. Why you ask? Because on the one hand it had some of the best "sandbox" elements ever in a game, but on the other hand it had some truely game breaking flaws in the basic mechanics. I am not sure any decision they made by the time you are talking about would have made everyone happy...or fixed everything, they had simply made too many major mistakes leading up to that point.

The major flaws (pre-CU) roughly speaking broke down to these:

Devs not understanding what players wanted or would do: Some significant portion of the dev team were just clueless and never understood why people would devote entire careers to the "non-combat" professions. This only got worse.

Lack of a Jedi system - I seriously doubt the "hologrind" was in the game at launch, it probably wasn't even possible to become a Jedi then...and it should have stayed that way until they had a MUCH better idea of how to implement it. I doubt you'd find any defenders of the hologrind era anywheres. I hope whichever dev thought of it is working for walmart as a greeter!

Failed promises/unbalanced systems: Pets(CH), housing, cities, vehicles, jedi etc. Many things were either not well balanced, not functional, not well integrated or simply missing early on.  Many of these were never fixed or fixed badly along the way.

Totally broken "flagging" system for Galactic Civil War, lack of a smuggler faction...to have gotten something so core to SW so badly wrong took a special kind of talent. To take something that could (and SHOULD!) have been the central theme for the game and an endless generator of "content" and make it the horribly muck that they did was just amazing.

Then of course there was the basic flaw in the entire combat system at launch...which made changes and eventually the 'CU' a priority...even if it made lots of people mad along the way.

Finally toss in the item and credit dupes early on that resulted in millions or more of bogus credits and lots of legacy high end gear....

>deep breath<

So, after all that...and even after the nightmare of the hologrind, what could they have done? The CU and the revamp of the Jedi system were both badly needed...do those in some significant form and then add content, either by fixing the GCW mechanics, adding the Smuggler faction and I think you've basically "saved" the game. Add in some new planets over time, more quest lines etc and it would have been fine. There still would have been problems, but the game would have staggered on with 250k+ happy subs and might even have grown significantly again as people who left during the hologrind era came back.

Originally posted by ericbelser

Been a while, so forgive me if I forget anything...

SWG was a problem child from the start. Why you ask? Because on the one hand it had some of the best "sandbox" elements ever in a game, but on the other hand it had some truely game breaking flaws in the basic mechanics. I am not sure any decision they made by the time you are talking about would have made everyone happy...or fixed everything, they had simply made too many major mistakes leading up to that point.

The major flaws (pre-CU) roughly speaking broke down to these:

Devs not understanding what players wanted or would do: Some significant portion of the dev team were just clueless and never understood why people would devote entire careers to the "non-combat" professions. This only got worse.

Lack of a Jedi system - I seriously doubt the "hologrind" was in the game at launch, it probably wasn't even possible to become a Jedi then...and it should have stayed that way until they had a MUCH better idea of how to implement it. I doubt you'd find any defenders of the hologrind era anywheres. I hope whichever dev thought of it is working for walmart as a greeter!

Failed promises/unbalanced systems: Pets(CH), housing, cities, vehicles, jedi etc. Many things were either not well balanced, not functional, not well integrated or simply missing early on.  Many of these were never fixed or fixed badly along the way.

Totally broken "flagging" system for Galactic Civil War, lack of a smuggler faction...to have gotten something so core to SW so badly wrong took a special kind of talent. To take something that could (and SHOULD!) have been the central theme for the game and an endless generator of "content" and make it the horribly muck that they did was just amazing.

Then of course there was the basic flaw in the entire combat system at launch...which made changes and eventually the 'CU' a priority...even if it made lots of people mad along the way.

Finally toss in the item and credit dupes early on that resulted in millions or more of bogus credits and lots of legacy high end gear....

>deep breath<

So, after all that...and even after the nightmare of the hologrind, what could they have done? The CU and the revamp of the Jedi system were both badly needed...do those in some significant form and then add content, either by fixing the GCW mechanics, adding the Smuggler faction and I think you've basically "saved" the game. Add in some new planets over time, more quest lines etc and it would have been fine. There still would have been problems, but the game would have staggered on with 250k+ happy subs and might even have grown significantly again as people who left during the hologrind era came back.

Yes I think that sounds like the direction they should have taken.  I would have much enjoyed seeing new planets in the combat upgrade format. Lots of new content would have been added and we all would have had more thing to do ontop of geting new badges for all the planets. 

How though if this would have happened, how would the reception of people be now?  Would people be recommending it to others?  Or would there be alot of people saying that SWG just had to do something major to make the game worth anything.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Uh things would have still been the same. SOE would have still found some way to piss everyone off honestly. Maybe if the game was put under another hosters supervision things would have stayed way they should have, in ep4-6. Not jedi wookies >_>

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by eycel

All good info, Do you think it possible SOE could have added more dungeons into there game?  What kinda other content could they have added to keep people hapy while perserving there core code of the game?

I think the Instances and more Expansions would have come had they simply stuck with the CU and tweaked it from there...I know that the CU was not perfect or popular with everyone, but I do think it tried to address a bunch of concerns...I know the Pre-CU crowd is the most vocal nowadays, but everyone remembers the attitude back then...The whining, complaining, etc...The CU, or something like it, was inevitable...It was just the next step...It (the CU) could have improved immensely if it was given a few years...The population, dropping or not, would have been a hell of a lot better than the NGE... So it's easy to assume things like Restuss, the Instances, the GCW stuff and even another Planet or two would have come in time...

No matter what every Game that wants to survive nowadays HAS to add to the PvE content constantly...So I think more Instances would have been a no brainer...image

Originally posted by Erstok

Uh things would have still been the same. SOE would have still found some way to piss everyone off honestly. Maybe if the game was put under another hosters supervision things would have stayed way they should have, in ep4-6. Not jedi wookies >_>

I think this is a good point and alot of SWG pre-cu fanboys might wana read into this some bit.  I think this could very well have happened also. 

Originally posted by KyngBills

I think the Instances and more Expansions would have come had they simply stuck with the CU and tweaked it from there...I know that the CU was not perfect or popular with everyone, but I do think it tried to address a bunch of concerns...I know the Pre-CU crowd is the most vocal nowadays, but everyone remembers the attitude back then...The whining, complaining, etc...The CU, or something like it, was inevitable...It was just the next step...It (the CU) could have improved immensely if it was given a few years...The population, dropping or not, would have been a hell of a lot better than the NGE... So it's easy to assume things like Restuss, the Instances, the GCW stuff and even another Planet or two would have come in time...

No matter what every Game that wants to survive nowadays HAS to add to the PvE content constantly...So I think more Instances would have been a no brainer...image

Remember SWG was a known sandbox with only one know instance that I know about, the "Corellian Corvette".  Everything else was open world dungeons.  I Really like how the open worls dungeons played out in swg, was exciting for me.  Especially rebel theme parks/imperial and the warren. 

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

I think that they should've stayed with the CU.  To me, combat made more sense in the CU.  By that I mean health should be the only damageable part of the HAM bar, the other two should be for skills and healing abilities.  I liked the comic-style ability icons, to me, it made it easier to recognize what was what. 

So, I'd say that the game would've be way better off if they would've taken what they had after ToOW just before the NGE was implimented and took it from there adding content.  Not making harsh changes such as the NGE.

• SiruzSiruz Member Posts: 3

My favorit thing was to go after a corvette-run in the coronet cantina and watched the entertainer to remove combat fatigue and have smalltalk, meet friends and have fun.

Or to stand in front of a starport with your medical droid and offers some buffs :D

|***BUFFING***|

| all 6 Stats 3k+ |

| 1,2 h duration |

|      only 15k      |

only Banktip

please stand in a row

still 100 Buffs available

ahhh, that was the BEST game ever. I miss it very very very badly

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by TUX426

While I can understand people saying "there wasn't much content", I gotta disagree. You're right, there weren't many "theme parks" or "dungeons", but the content that was there was 100% UNIQUE!

There was a lack of "guided" content at times, but the content WAS there.

100% agreed Tux.

Pre-CU I personally didn't give a rats @$$ about 'dungeons and raids'... hell, didn't even know what a raid was (nor did I care). A good example of content for my guild was controlling the price of certain items such as Starships on my server by recruiting the most/best shipwrights and resource miners to my guild. Or taking over another player city by way of subterfuge and political espionage (which took almost a year).

Try doing any of that in a themepark based game.

Originally posted by Erstok

Maybe if the game was put under another hosters supervision things would have stayed way they should have, in ep4-6. Not jedi wookies >_>

I hear what you're saying about Jedi Wookies, but in truth keeping SWG Jedi-free would have never worked...Everyone and their mother knows it and to say any different is just ignoring the obvious...

I played SWG pretty much from the get-go...I met so many people on that Game I could never even begin to count...I'm not saying My experience is all knowledgeable or anything like that...But since I started that Game Pre-CU I can count the amount of Folks who wanted nothing to do with Jedi on two hands...Maybe two hands and a foot...My point is Folks can say Jedi ruined the Game all they want, but it's what the vast majority of Players wanted...My best Friend and I did not buy the Game until Jedi was 100% confirmed as obtainable...We did not care what it took to get it, as long as it was get-able...

The other day for the fun of it on Vent I asked this question to 6 ex-SWG Players..."Would you have played SWG if there was no obtainable playable Jedi in the Game?" I got 6 no's...In the case of Jedi SOE did what they knew they had to...Maybe it was not canon and no question that pisses some Folks off...But it was a good business decision nonetheless...image

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

The best things about the game pre-NGE was the complexity and the community.  They should have left those elements alone and worked on the other aspects of the game.   I agree with the other poster that some of the devs were clueless and couldn't understand how people enjoyed non-combat aspects of the game (I am talking about you, Chris Cao).  One of my favorite memories of the game was popping a Ranger camp and sitting around chatting with other people.

Originally posted by KyngBills

Remember SWG was a known sandbox with only one know instance that I know about, the "Corellian Corvette".  Everything else was open world dungeons.  I Really like how the open worls dungeons played out in swg, was exciting for me.  Especially rebel theme parks/imperial and the warren. 

UGH!!! The Warren!!!...Good times in there huh? It was pretty cool...I remember getting SO lost in there My 1st time in...

I agree with you...And I'm sure there would have been more of those Theme parks as well had they simply continued to improve upon the CU or Pre-CU...But l do think there would have eventually been some Instances and Dungeons as well...I think there would have been more of everything eventually...image

Originally posted by JerYnkFan

The best things about the game pre-NGE was the complexity and the community.  They should have left those elements alone and worked on the other aspects of the game.   I agree with the other poster that some of the devs were clueless and couldn't understand how people enjoyed non-combat aspects of the game (I am talking about you, Chris Cao).  One of my favorite memories of the game was popping a Ranger camp and sitting around chatting with other people.

Someone can help me with this one...

Was there not a Dev who was quoted sometime after the NGE saying somehting like "So people would drop Camps and sit around and talk. And that was fun how?" 

Anyone? I remember something like that being a big deal at one point...I remember thinking that was the most clueless thing I've ever read from a Dev...And SWG Devs could really come up with some clueless stuff Post NGE...I'm sure someone remembers...image

One of my favorite memories of the game was popping a Ranger camp and sitting around chatting with other people.

You just sat there and it was fun?  (10 points to the first person who can name the dev that said that)

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

One of my favorite memories of the game was popping a Ranger camp and sitting around chatting with other people.

You just sat there and it was fun?  (10 points to the first person who can name the dev that said that)

Blixtev?  Chris Cao?

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Well they had a bleed out they tried to stop and just made it happen faster.

The only real lesson I woudl say is.. fix the game you have.. don't try to change it.   That's the direction any game should follow.. fix it.. don't re-invent it.   MMO's are a community based thing and you pull the rug out from under the community you have lost.

Most any game I have played changed in radical ways and I have left every one of them.. that's the only consistent thing with MMO's for me.

Originally posted by Asmiroth20

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Blixtev?  Chris Cao?

Name starts with an H.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

Kai "Dork Lord Heliass" Steinmann

Kai "Dork Lord Heliass" Steinmann

10 points!

• ActusActus Member UncommonPosts: 48

I count myself among the (possibly deranged) minority that was happy with the "hologrind" method of attaining jedi. .. and I fervently agree with others who have said jedi *must* be obtainable.

No... I never had a jedi the entire time I played... which was well within the first year.  When the first jedi were rumored to appear on server after server... I thought it was the coolest thing.

I still remember waiting at Eisley starport one day... and seeing my first jedi.  I took screenshots... lol.  I brought my confused and slightly annoyed wife to the computer screen.  It was a thing of beauty and I didn't have the slightest care there was little to no chance I'd achieve it.  The more I learned about the grind... the more I figured those who attained jedi deserved it and those I played with either tried for jedi or happily played our own stories out.

Over that time... I rarely came across jedi (except in guilds)... and then rarely one who wasn't extremely cool and humbled by the process.  Yeah... there were a few douches as time rolled by... and they became more frequent... but bounty hunters were the perfect way to keep them underground for the most part and under population control.

Now… was that sustainable?  In the end… no.  Sometimes the quest for a perfect system reaches critical mass and collapses upon itself.  You reach an apex in design and don’t realize when you’ve passed it.  Jedi tinkering just became too consuming, pulled resources away from other much-needed fixes and eventually pissed everyone off.

As to the rest... flaws and accolades alike... not much argument here.  Broken quests were the norm and infuriating at the time... glitches and bugs persisted... balancing was a constant battle... but none of us even considered switching games =)

Aurelion-Ellwaen-Aulric

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274

Here are some things I would have liked to seen done way back then.

1.  Had the jedi unlock system ready and in beta game, so they could have tested and fixed it before the game went live, not many months after the game went live.   (Also would have been no need for holocons and the many changes they made on the fly in how to unlock it.)

2.  Had fixed the bugs in game during the pre-CU.  (think some of the beta / early live bugs are still in the game.

3.  Had left the game play alone before they made all the changes to the game about a week before the game went live.

For me the most fun was trying to figure out how the jedi unlock worked.  In some ways the game was alot like Myst, again before they made all the in beta changes.

Some things I found and was posting on the offical board before they went and changed everything by putting the boxes with red flashing lights in first room of starting space station and send new players to other worlds than those at start.

a. In starter space station the color of the trainers eyes was a clue to your chosen skill path, also items on the console and table next to them had clues for you to follow.

b. flags and banners in front of buildings had clues in thier colors, designs and background textures. (dancers had blue as main color if you started on Nabu.)  One such was dancer quest to go dance in Nabu palace, banner center front had dancer action key 4 on it,  go inside to sentent/ball room and dance the night away using the dance #4 key.

c. On plantes again trainer eye colors and tables next to them had clues.  Tables could be found in most buildings that had blows of fruit and water glasses on them.

d. In main city on Nabu, when you was entering weapon shop build was weapons mounted on wall with flashing blue lights.  Back in weapon trainer room was yellow flashing lights and some weapons had a red tint to their egdes.

e. Areas in cities where you had fighting quests had red lights for street lights.  Blue lights for non-combat /research areas.

As a dancer starting on Nabu at the time, these were some of the things that made the game fun for me, as we where busy trying to learn how to unlock something that unknown to us was in the game at that time.  Plus the fun of providing a non-combat skill buff for others in the cantines and just talking to others that came in to be buffed and making new friends that I find very lacking in todays games.

Originally posted by Acornia

Here are some things I would have liked to seen done way back then.

1.  Had the jedi unlock system ready and in beta game, so they could have tested and fixed it before the game went live, not many months after the game went live.   (Also would have been no need for holocons and the many changes they made on the fly in how to unlock it.)

2.  Had fixed the bugs in game during the pre-CU.  (think some of the beta / early live bugs are still in the game.

3.  Had left the game play alone before they made all the changes to the game about a week before the game went live.

For me the most fun was trying to figure out how the jedi unlock worked.  In some ways the game was alot like Myst, again before they made all the in beta changes.

Some things I found and was posting on the offical board before they went and changed everything by putting the boxes with red flashing lights in first room of starting space station and send new players to other worlds than those at start.

a. In starter space station the color of the trainers eyes was a clue to your chosen skill path, also items on the console and table next to them had clues for you to follow.

b. flags and banners in front of buildings had clues in thier colors, designs and background textures. (dancers had blue as main color if you started on Nabu.)  One such was dancer quest to go dance in Nabu palace, banner center front had dancer action key 4 on it,  go inside to sentent/ball room and dance the night away using the dance #4 key.

c. On plantes again trainer eye colors and tables next to them had clues.  Tables could be found in most buildings that had blows of fruit and water glasses on them.

d. In main city on Nabu, when you was entering weapon shop build was weapons mounted on wall with flashing blue lights.  Back in weapon trainer room was yellow flashing lights and some weapons had a red tint to their egdes.

e. Areas in cities where you had fighting quests had red lights for street lights.  Blue lights for non-combat /research areas.

As a dancer starting on Nabu at the time, these were some of the things that made the game fun for me, as we where busy trying to learn how to unlock something that unknown to us was in the game at that time.  Plus the fun of providing a non-combat skill buff for others in the cantines and just talking to others that came in to be buffed and making new friends that I find very lacking in todays games.

There were alot of intricacies to what made SWG a good game.  I remember going to image designers and geting stuff changed all the time.  That was its own professions and people were very happy to do it.  Theres just was alot to do with the skill tree and alot of content to consume.  There really wasnt an end game to SWG.  I started out as a swordsman, cause I wanted to be able to do the most dmg possible and complate all the hunting and obtain all the badges as fast as I could.  I remmeber hiting 125 badges way early in the game.  There wernt all that many people that had 125 badges at the time, so alot of people would come up to me all the time asking for help with there badges. A good portion of the time I spent playing SWG was forming partys to obtain badges for others to show off.  It was fun seeing what everyone had been up to by just clikcing on them and looking into there profile of badges.    As time grew on I wanted to expand my endevors to other regions of the game, and it was very easy to do with there skill trees.  Afer I had did alot of the stuff I wanted to do in the game, I became a Dr and started to become interested in the space part of the game and mastering alliance pilot.  Did any one use the merchant/bio-engineer/image designer/architect/tailer/politician?  I would have liked to master those professions as there very unique but I never got the chance after they were ripped out. 

Quote from a SWG website "Will more Professions be added in future patchs/Expansion packs:

Yes. As the game continues to grow, more professions will be added. It is likely that when an expansion pack is released, and along with it a number of new professions, that the maximum number of skills points a character can spend will rise as well".  We can forget about them adding more professions as well on top of the genoius skill trees that were in the game to begin with. 

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

The first and primary focus should have been polishing out bugs.  

Secondly, they should have worked on nerfing and boosting a lot more on paper before implementing the changes to get better PvP balance.

The third problem - I know it has been viewed as the path that led to the "end times" and some players felt it was a horrible decision to add Jedi, but initially with the consequence of XP loss & permadeath for a Jedi, it wasnt a bad concept really.  For a Jedi who wasn't cautious, being listed on the bounty hunter terminals was the ultimate risk vs reward scenario.  

Devs didnt understand, or try to understand the player base and what the players enjoyed in the game or would like to see changed.

SOE must have chosen either single-player console kids or just complete MMO dumbasses for their focus group feedback.

They should have kept item wear/decay as well as battle fatigue.