Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A concern: the lack of choice

DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

The more I read about TOR and the more I think about it, the more it brings me back to this short sentence I wrote here:

"I'd say the first pillar of SW was not crafting, not even socialization and even less combat (player bounties) it was choice."

It seems, for now, there will be a serious lack of choice after character creation.

• We're going to be stuck with a race: ok as in 99% of all MMO

• The class choice will be permanent: still as the usual stuff but for a very few MMO

• The advanced class, seen by most just as enhanced skill trees separation: might stay permanent.

• The story type: will be set with the class

• The combat game play: will be picked up with the class choice

• The gear choice: seems very class and tier oriented

• The player space ships: shall to be dictated by the class choice

• The world stories: will unfold and be locked with group choices (ok after character creation skill no save/load | respec...)

What I see is choosing a class/race will put you like a train on rails, taking out of your hands mostly any possibilities to change your mind at any stage of your character life after avatar creation.

It might spice up things for some but, personally I already experience all that daily in the real world. You know thoughts like: if I knew I would...

As such I don't see it very fun being stuck with such early choices, needing us to regrind through hundred of story based content twice, or more, to "change".

/discuss

Comments

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

They only choice you need is to play the game or not.

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

Originally posted by FreddyNoNose

Agree if you dont like it then fine dont play. But I dont log onto the food network to whine about brussel sprouts. Hope you give it a chance though.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Holy shit seem like OP want an MMO with 100% full out choice system from the start to the end but even the end must have choice to end...huh?

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

That's a very constructive input thank you for wasting your time writing it, at least I enjoyed replying.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by Deewe

That's a very constructive input thank you for wasting your time writing it, at least I enjoyed replying.

You can always play Second Life.  That's the only game I know of that fits what you are wanting.

Any other sandbox is really a themebox! Or Sandpark!

Originally posted by Swanea

You can always play Second Life.  That's the only game I know of that fits what you are wanting.

Sandpark he he funny!

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

LMAO man I have a strong feeling that reply should have went to me O.O instead of Freddy.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It is what it is, take it or leave it. I'll wait and judge the game on what it actually offers, rather than what I wish it did. You're welcome to do so as much as you like of course.

I used to think as you, to paraphrase "if it's not open ended, it's not worth playing". The studio that showed me I was wrong in this thought was Bioware. 

I have always been a huge fan of Bethesda (maybe it's home team syndrome), so I stayed clear of the more linear story driven games for a long time. I decided to give KOTOR a shot on the PC a few years back, which was years after it released and I've been a fan of their games since.

No, you don't have nearly as much choice in gameplay options within their games. Yet their games have always been interesting, to say the least.

Will you be set in a class in TOR? Yes, this is the case in most games aside from a select few. At least TOR offers a different leveling experience per class, if you want to re-roll you get a totally different story and experience.  No other game really offers this that I am aware of. That's choice of a different variety is it not?

As for the rest of your complaints, we'll have to wait and see for the most part.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by slim26

LMAO man I have a strong feeling that reply should have went to me O.O instead of Freddy.

oppsies :p Sorry buddy!

I'll leave it as is as a good reminder not to answer too fast in the future *blushes*

Originally posted by Malickie

It is what it is, take it or leave it. I'll wait and judge the game on what it actually offers, rather than what I wish it did. You're welcome to do so as much as you like of course.

I used to think as you, to paraphrase "if it's not open ended, it's not worth playing". The studio that showed me I was wrong in this thought was Bioware. 

I have always been a huge fan of Bethesda (maybe it's home team syndrome), so I stayed clear of the more linear story driven games for a long time. I decided to give KOTOR a shot on the PC a few years back, which was years after it released and I've been a fan of their games since.

No, you don't have nearly as much choice in gameplay options within their games. Yet their games have always been interesting, to say the least.

Will you be set in a class in TOR? Yes, this is the case in most games aside from a select few. At least TOR offers a different leveling experience per class, if you want to re-roll you get a totally different story and experience.  No other game really offers this that I am aware of. That's choice of a different variety is it not?

As for the rest of your complaints, we'll have to wait and see for the most part.

I see your point and I would agree BUT, slight difference: there's no save/load in TOR, see what I mean...

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by Swanea

Sandpark he he funny!

Hey just trying to help you out is all :P.

Themepark games are not know for letting you choose how to do anything.  Or for letting you change your race/sex/looks in game, at no cost.

Changing classes is also not a themepark thing.  Def a sandpark/themebox thing.

The choices here are related to the story.   How you act and play.  Your morality.

• MiffyMiffy Member Posts: 244

Advance classes wont be permanent, unless bioware are really stupid.

Originally posted by Miffy

They are for now.

• GiosyncGiosync Member Posts: 108

I can already see it, this is not SWG+KOTOR.

I'm free on Friday.

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

Sandbox MMOs would fit you well, if you manage to find one which would fit your taste.

The replys to your post reminds me extremly of myself, when i was die hard Fanboy of AoC aka Age of Fail  (pre-release). I tend aswell to tell "if you dont like it, dont play it". Easy answer and requires no thinking.

Have to laugh, that i was the same as the trolls which replyed you :-) At least some people evolve further.

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

LucasArts is a bad video game company.

Bioware makes the same game over and over. Whether you like them or not.

LucasArts went to Bioware and said "Hey, our SWG NGE failed. would you guys do the NGE from scratch with that Star Wars version of your game-line that worked well. We want some more cash."

BAM! SW:TOR began.

Star Wars? Continued to be shat on.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Unfortunately the OP is right about SWTOR being a limited mmo. Basicly if you like WoW, then you will like SWTOR, but if you like SW, stick with SWG. BW is only in it for the money and not the fans so don't expect much from them. 

Originally posted by Czanrei

Unfortunately the OP is right about SWTOR being a limited mmo. Basicly if you like WoW, then you will like SWTOR, but if you like SW, stick with SWG. BW is only in it for the money and not the fans so don't expect much from them. 

Exactly.

Even in its bastardized state, SWG is more for Star Wars than SW:TOR. (Mostly because of the shadowy remains of what SWG once was, but still, at least its in the original trilogy timeline sort-of.)

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

They are for now.

Looking at the revenue they bring in, I beg to differ.

Bioware does not care about an estranged gaming minority, in this case the sandbox-o-philes. This is obvious. Bioware is not creating a sandbox game. Does this make them stupid, hell no! This is a cashcow game, just like WoW, but if its a well executed themepark that respects the Star Wars lore, I'll surely play it.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Basically the OP is complaining that a traditional MMORPG made by a traditional RPG company is a traditional game...

Meh, that new ford, it has four wheels, you steer it with a wheel, runs on petrol, can't fly. FAIL!

Yes, I am sad that SWTOR is not SWG2, but that discussion is over. And nobody should expect Bioware to make a sandbox game because they never did sandbox games. They life and breath D&D and that is as restrictive as it comes. 

I can predict roughly who will like SWTOR. Lotro players, WoW PvE server players and that is it. AOIN and similar asian MMO players will be disappointed by all the talking and lack of "just kill everything in sight". PvP fans will be upset that you can't kill level ones. SWG fans will be upset (but get over it already) that it isn't SWG2.

This is going to be a PvE on rails MMORPG with high production values but limited freedom. That is what Bioware has always produced. If you want open world, look to Bethseda, for their upcoming MMO.

Originally posted by Hrothmund

They are for now.

Bioware does not care about an estranged gaming minority, in this case the sandbox-o-philes. This is obvious. Bioware is not creating a sandbox game. Does this make them stupid, hell no! This is a cashcow game, just like WoW, but if its a well executed themepark that respects the Star Wars lore, I'll surely play it.

Dude, this game doesn't even come close to respecting the Star Wars lore. You can garner that from the gameplay trailers and even the 3d scenematic trailers.

Compare all of that shit to the original 3 movies? They're nothing alike... I mean, put a dog in a cat costume and its still not a cat.

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

They are for now.

Dude, this game doesn't even come close to respecting the Star Wars lore. You can garner that from the gameplay trailers and even the 3d scenematic trailers.

Compare all of that shit to the original 3 movies? They're nothing alike... I mean, put a dog in a cat costume and its still not a cat.

That is a matter of opinion. I think it certainly respects the lore of the Old Republic timeline content, Star Wars these days is more than the original trilogy, whether you like it or not.

George Lucas has intentionally expanded the universe and toned down the more mature and sinister feel of the original trilogy to attract children and their parents to the franchise. He has every right to do this, but I am not saying I like all the choices he has made. Certainly the Old Republic timeline for me is much more enjoyable than episodes 1-3.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Seems like your problem isn't with a dearth of choices, but that the choices are permanent.

Can't say that I sympathize.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

They are for now.

Truer words have never been spoken.  Summarizes the situation well and as others have noted, you will either play it because you enjoy the game for what it is, or won't because it doesn't suit your tastes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

You can't expect that much freedom of choice.  As has been said, this isn't a sandbox game.  My first MMO was SWG, and my second was FFXI, so I like being able to change classes, but the average gamer wants a linear progression type game cleverly disguised and covered up with open worlds and many customization opportunities.  Now I'm aware this certainly doesn't apply to everyone, myself included, but I think it's still true.

The presence of linear progression does not indicate an absence of choice.  This is a story driven game.  While it's certainly possible to play a Trooper turned Smuggler (through RP if that's your thing, for example), it isn't written into Bioware's story, so I do see your point here.  However, you DO have the option to reroll.  The SWG that so many here tout as the Holy Grail didn't give you that option without deleting your character.  This is Star Wars, not Magical Wonderland, so expecting race changes is silly.  It in no way fits with the game. 

Choices are present, though.  Along your journey, you will make choices in everything you do.  Your character makes choices.  You make choices concerning all of your companions, you make choices concerning your ship / house and get the choice to change it or replace it.  Your group makes choices.  The choices are there to be made, but it sounds like you're looking for a more open ended game.  To that, I would say that maybe this isn't the game for you.  Give it a shot.  You may like it, but if total freedom is what you're after, you may need to explore other options.