Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO Cash Shop (Beta) revealed

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by soponyai

Originally posted by sfc1971

And what is the reaction going to be by veterans so players who bought +30 in all their stats?

Those tomes will also be world drops, so you can get them free, if you grind enough. Also, in order to use them you will need to have used a +10 and a +20 already.

They are one time use. People on this site rarely know what they are talking about.
    Oooo, i can increase one virtue, one, ever. How horribly game breaking in a mostly PvE game.
    The horror.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Everything in there can be earned in game.

So, spent 10$ a month and have no restrictions.

Or, spend nothing and have restrictions, then buy things as you want them.

You also earn turbine points in game.

Prices are more than fair.

Why some of you are thinking that you will play for free, then be compelled to buy every single item from the store insted of the normial ways is a persional problem. Have some restraint, or use a subscription FFS.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Or, spend nothing and have restrictions, then buy things as you want them.

You also earn turbine points in game.

Prices are more than fair.

Looking at those screens, I'd wager there are MANY things in the store that can't be earned in game. Unless by "earned in game" you mean completing deeds for free points, and then buying them in the store. A lot of items in the store look to be store-only items (quest packs & expansions, skirmishes, certain potions, temporary mounts, wardrobe storage, shared storage, virtue slots, gold cap removal, character slots, etc...)

Nope, almost every single item in the store is an in game item you can earn one way or another, most seem to be destiny wallet items as well. Of course stuff like quest packs & expansions, skirmishes,  temporary mounts (new), wardrobe storage (New), shared storage, virtue slots, gold cap removal, character slots, etc... are not, you did not buy the game if you need those.

Wardrobe is a new feature, shared storage was from the adventure pack (The extra slots to that are new though), the rest are mostly unlocks from the full client. My point being, it is mostly convenience items, and most you can simply get by playing, I have a number of them right now.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• xx19kilosoldxx19kilosold Member Posts: 209

Bloodworth I hope Turbine, or I guess WB is cutting you a check.

Nothing but spin, way to easy to see through man. Its entertaining but no substance, none.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Why some of you are thinking that you will play for free, then be compelled to buy every single item from the store insted of the normial ways is a persional problem. Have some restraint, or use a subscription FFS.

Here is the problem with your idea. about people spending 10 dollars and just loving this game. A lot of people who already left the game thought the game was not worth 10 dollars a month already, and nothing has changed. Turbine isn't doing a damn thing to elevate their game, their just trying to open up the flood gates and hope a few of them stick. All this talk about F2P and new servers doesn't actually equate to new content. They're just taking content that has been sitting there for years, dividing it up and sticking relatively high price tags on it and calling it done. The store is overpriced, as I knew it would be.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Nesrie

Here is the problem with your idea. about people spending 10 dollars and just loving this game. A lot of people who already left the game thought the game was not worth 10 dollars a month already, and nothing has changed. Turbine isn't doing a damn thing to elevate their game, their just trying to open up the flood gates and hope a few of them stick. All this talk about F2P and new servers doesn't actually equate to new content. They're just taking content that has been sitting there for years, dividing it up and sticking relatively high price tags on it and calling it done. The store is overpriced, as I knew it would be.

I havnt played many F2P games but from what ive seen of them they are not a good deal for gamers as the cost far outweighs the quality.  So I really have no idea if the cash shop prices are too high or not when compared to other F2P games. Ok, now im going to put on my tinfoil hat and ask that after a repectable period of time people think Turbine will add more disireable items to the DDO and LOTRO cash shops along with designing  heavier grinds meanwhile making anti grind potions available in the cash shops? We already see items to halve the trait grind.  Is it my paranoia that makes me wonder if things were kept toned down in the DDO  cash shop until after LOTRO has been transformed and the freebie folks settled in a bit? Call me a tinfoil hat wearing paranoid but this whole thing stinks to high heaven.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by ezjay1975

The problem I see Turbine having is the amount of players that are going to leave over the next 6-12 months. With what looks like some excellent choices in our genre coming up, I didn't see the current crop of MMO's having high retention rates. But only time will tell.

There isn't anything coming that will have a major impact. There is only one MAJOR title on the horizon, and that is the Star Wars one which frankly looks less and less appealing each day. People said WAR and AoC would hurt the current games, but WoW and EQ2 probably both have more subs now than they did when these games released.

Guild Wars 2 still has a negative stigma attached to it because of the perceived heavy PvP focus. Lotro players would generally not be attracted to it.

FFXIV wont be a major player. it will draw mostly on FFXI's population. People that tried FFXI and didnt like it arent so likely to try FFXIV.

And games like Rifts and such arent very well known yet to the average MMO player. WAR and AoC were huge names. Nothing on the horizon will make a big splash with SWTOR shaping up to be another WAR or AOC.
  • xx19kilosoldxx19kilosold Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by teakbois

The problem I see Turbine having is the amount of players that are going to leave over the next 6-12 months. With what looks like some excellent choices in our genre coming up, I didn't see the current crop of MMO's having high retention rates. But only time will tell.

There isn't anything coming that will have a major impact. There is only one MAJOR title on the horizon, and that is the Star Wars one which frankly looks less and less appealing each day. People said WAR and AoC would hurt the current games, but WoW and EQ2 probably both have more subs now than they did when these games released.

Guild Wars 2 still has a negative stigma attached to it because of the perceived heavy PvP focus. Lotro players would generally not be attracted to it.

FFXIV wont be a major player. it will draw mostly on FFXI's population. People that tried FFXI and didnt like it arent so likely to try FFXIV.

And games like Rifts and such arent very well known yet to the average MMO player. WAR and AoC were huge names. Nothing on the horizon will make a big splash with SWTOR shaping up to be another WAR or AOC.

Thats about as nonsensical as someone saying before launch that game "x" is going to kill game "y". You have zero clue if SWTOR will or wont bust like AoC or WAR. None.

Saying that FF and SWtOR will not have any impact on current games including WoW is just burying your head in the sand man.

Originally posted by xx19kilosold
    Nothing but spin, way to easy to see through man. Its entertaining but no substance, none.

I'm sorry, I tend to not get caught up in the drama. I suppose I should post about how the sky is falling, and by playing the game you will be forced to spend hundreds of dollars a day.

I see nothing in that store that causes me any alarm, I also realize that stuff is subject to change.

----------

How are you?" -Me

Thoes people allready have the content.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I enjoy how people just post "facts" without checking to see if they are true.  A new zone, Enedwaith, is being released with the F2P update.  I believe that counts as new content, does it not?  I would recommend checking your facts before posting.

I don't actually know in terms of square miles. However, I can give you this; in terms of content, Enedwaith is larger than the North Downs.

It's a level 62-65 area with a lot of new content.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=4732684#post4732684

----------

How are you?" -Me

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I'm sorry, I tend to not get caught up in the drama. I suppose I should post about how the sky is falling, and by playing the game you will be forced to spend hundreds of dollars a day.

I see nothing in that store that causes me any alarm, I also realize that stuff is subject to change.

Maybe so....maybe not....but if we're coming off as "chicken littles".... you're definately coming off as the guy saying "Ignore that little white bit of ice sticking up out of the water ahead... it's TINY...There's nothing below the surface....besides the Captain has said this ship is UNSINKABLE?"

Seriously, I don't think I've seen you take issue with one tiny detail of the implimentation of this move...... that's kinda a dead give away........most impartial observers can find fault with at least one tiny detail of a major plan like this.

I mean.... you really don't think that there is ANYTHING wrong with offering permanent stat increases for sale in the item shop.... not even a little bit?

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by junzo316

I enjoy how people just post "facts" without checking to see if they are true.  A new zone, Enedwaith, is being released with the F2P update.  I believe that counts as new content, does it not?  I would recommend checking your facts before posting.

120 dollars a year does Enedwaith not make. If someone actually took time to read what i said, you'd know that I am referring to players that came and went. As in they already played the other content. One damn zone isn't going to bring them back or get them to open up their wallet. So no, that does not count as enough content to bring back previous players.After all, Mirkwood wasnt' enough to keep them. Fact check that.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Maybe so....maybe not....but if we're coming off as "chicken littles".... you're definately coming off as the guy saying "Ignore that little white bit of ice sticking up out of the water ahead... it's TINY...There's nothing below the surface....besides the Captain has said this ship is UNSINKABLE?"

You're just noticing this now? He's been the #1 Turbine kool aid drinker since the game launched.  A paycheck doesn't get that sort of fanaticism, Turbine is his religion.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by teakbois

Thats about as nonsensical as someone saying before launch that game "x" is going to kill game "y". You have zero clue if SWTOR will or wont bust like AoC or WAR. None.

Saying that FF and SWtOR will not have any impact on current games including WoW is just burying your head in the sand man.

From people I talk to in game, SWTOR is the most highly anticipated new game but the fast majority are waiting for SWG-NGE (- = minus). The old time Lotro players, not the wow players waiting for catalysm, want a game that is just fun to play and doesn't become to hardcore. Gated Instances and legendary items were exactly the wrong thing to give these people. They can handle maths and the idea of levelling up countless LI fills them with more dread then the watcher.

In the past, Lotro has been save because no new PvE centric games have launched. SWTOR MIGHT change that. It won't be what the SWG fans want but if it has more story and less LI items and gated instances and grinding, then I know I myself will be gone and many of my kin as well.

Will SWTOR deliver? I have no idea. But I think the move to F2P and Moria could be Turbines CU and NGE. 

Lotro at the moment is an average performer, the company is trying to revive it but is failing to do so for now. In fact considering the backlash over LI and radiance gear, it is almost a CU-light. Proof? If Moria was a succesful change of direction, then it wouldn't have needed to go F2P. No, Moria changed the game to appeal to more players and instead it lost players.

The problem is simple, the people who buy your product do so because they like it as it is. The people who don't. Don't.

Change the product and you are certain to loose the people who like it as it is, but the people who didn't like it, will not look at it again.

After all, who is going to slog through 50 levels just to get to gated instances?

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

Just a shame what WB/Turbine is going to do to this game was a nice game to come back to everynow and then but now Ill never play it agian... Since im not a member I sent all my gold off because i can only have 2g to 5g dependign on my account, in my account I had 50g wtf... so many limitations they put on the accounts I understand item mall/cash shops  and all but geez really 2g or 5g wtf!!! pay for your mounts instead of earning them and they cost 3 so you cant get them without a subscription or paying reall cash.......  

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by sly220

Just a shame what WB/Turbine is going to do to this game was a nice game to come back to everynow and then but now Ill never play it agian... Since im not a member I sent all my gold off because i can only have 2g to 5g dependign on my account, in my account I had 50g wtf... so many limitations they put on the accounts I understand item mall/cash shops  and all but geez really 2g or 5g wtf!!! pay for your mounts instead of earning them and they cost 3 so you cant get them without a subscription or paying reall cash.......  

You dont have thoose restrictions if you are or was a VIP so I dont see the problem.

Alot of peole seem to  expect that everything that before cost $15/month now will be given for free.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

One damn zone isn't going to bring them back or get them to open up their wallet. So no, that does not count as enough content to bring back previous players.After all, Mirkwood wasnt' enough to keep them. Fact check that.

I think this is true for all MMO's tbh.  You get addicted, you hammer it for however long complete everything and wait until a new expansion comes out which then gets completed far too quickly

This is why I tend to leave an MMO and only return after a year or so, which is what I do with lotro and the game for me is still fresh with plenty of stuff to do.. unfortunatly, not enough people to do it with :(

I've not actually subscribed to lotro now for well over a year, but I have played it everytime there has been a free 'welcome back week' - and even then, its only to play monster play :D  -  Come F2P I'm hoping there will be a new influx of players

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Holding people at 2-5 gold makes perfect sense for Turbine. Not enough gold to buy a mount? Cash shop. Not only can you buy the same mount you can get with ingame gold you can also buy the reputaion mounts without having to do those pesky quests. Tired of killing goblins? Cash shop. Now for just a few dollars you too can have the traits that people have earned with only having to do half of the pesky grinding. Think crafting tools  sell to high at AH? Cash shop. You can now get your crafting tools for just a few dollars. The metalsmith making them will  just have to learn that crafted items arnt the way to make ingame money, in fact, why the need for ingame gold at all when everything you need is in the cash shop for just a few dollars?  It will be interesting to see if Turbine can  increase the need or desire to spend in the cash shop slowly enough to keep people from noticing what is going on.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

There's several ways around the gold cap. The easiest is to just keep subscribing and all of the restrictions just dissappear, also if you have ever subbed to the game before it goes f2p you won't have the gold cap to begin with so no change there.

Also they aren't changing the ability to earn mounts in game either. If you don't want to pay for them you can still get them the old way so also no change there. So where's the problem?

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Philby

Holding people at 2-5 gold makes perfect sense for Turbine. Not enough gold to buy a mount? Cash shop or Sub. Not only can you buy the same mount you can get with ingame gold you can also buy the reputaion mounts without having to do those pesky quests (it's possible they will still be restricted by reputation we don't know yet either way). Tired of killing goblins? Cash shop (which item is it that kills goblins for you exactly?). Now for just a few dollars you too can have the traits that people have earned with only having to do half of the pesky grinding (I can't see people spending enough points to max out all their traits at 10 from 1, it would be prohibitively expensive if it's not restricted by level which again, we don't yet know). Think crafting tools  sell to high at AH? Cash shop (the shop will only have non-crit versions so unless you can't find the tool you need on the AH there's no reason to pay $ for them. if you are in a kin there's even less need). You can now get your crafting tools for just a few dollars. The metalsmith making them will  just have to learn that crafted items arnt the way to make ingame money (again why would anyone pay real cash for an item that can be easily obtained of the AH cheaply or from kinmates), in fact, why the need for ingame gold at all when everything you need is in the cash shop for just a few dollars? (maybe because there is no reason to spend real money on items that are readily available ingame without spending cash)  It will be interesting to see if Turbine can  increase the need or desire to spend in the cash shop slowly enough to keep people from noticing what is going on.

You don't need to spend cash in DDO to advance at all if you sub and you can get away with only buying adventures if you don't sub so I see no reason why they would change it in LOTRO. In DDO they still release free content to subscribers and you don't need to spend a dime beyond the sub price.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by junzo316

120 dollars a year does Enedwaith not make. If someone actually took time to read what i said, you'd know that I am referring to players that came and went. As in they already played the other content. One damn zone isn't going to bring them back or get them to open up their wallet. So no, that does not count as enough content to bring back previous players.After all, Mirkwood wasnt' enough to keep them. Fact check that.

I think you need to reread your quoted post.  You stated there was no new content being added.  Enedwaith IS new content.  A whole new zone to explore and quest in.  How is that not new content?  The 120$ a year gives you access to the game, not a promise of new content, although Turbine gives us many free updates.  The people who left will most likely come back for the new content, at least those that are not frightened by the F2P addition. 

Since I have pointed out that new content is actually being added,  I stand by my original statement.  People should do a little factual checking before posting nonsense.