Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering Playing.

Well I have been looking at various MMOs for a while to narrow them down to the one I want to try and get into. I currently only play LoTRO but its becoming increasngly boring and I dont like to burn myself out on games if I can help it. I do plan on playing SW:TOR when it comes out but thats about a year away. I know LoTRO is about to go F2P with some new content but its one chapter and one area and may hold my attention for a month in the fall. So Im left with free time and a desire to find a good alternate game to fill it. Now about my play style... I love story and pve. I am not a big fan of pvp so I understand AoC will be good for me in that reguard. I love being able to casually solo play but I like social gaming and so I need a decent community, or at least a decent segement of a community, with friendly players who like to group/raid from time to time. So Im not so into min/maxing but i do like to do group stuff. I am a bit nervous about whether or not this game can deliver on community and thats not somehting I can really  find out in the free trial. None of my MMO friends play AoC so it would be a venture Im doing on my own, this also makes me a bit nervous. The fact that I will know no one is a little daunting and a first for me. So I guess what im looking for from you guys is just a general sense of the game and the community and maybe a mentor if I decide to give it a go. I'm also looking for some ideas on the servers and direction and maybe try to get some contacts if I do try the game and end up playing. I am a calm, stable, mature individual so no worries about picking up a WoW-child prospect for your group if you're a guild recruiter. If I end up subbing it will likely be for at least a year so I need to know if it will be worth it. I'm probably skiddish because I've been burned by crappy games... *coughSTOcough* ... and I've heard about AoC's rough start. Not looking for perfect, looking for fun, entertainment, and maybe some new friends, is AoC the right place?

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

First I'd advice you to give the trial a try, to see if your PC system has any problems with getting AoC running, especially check if your framerate is healthy and consistent: 9 out of 10 players don't have any problems in getting AoC up and running well consistently, but when you're that 10th person then it's pretty annoying.

I think that Wiccana is your best choice, it's the most populated PvE server (although from what I hear Set is close when it comes to population), and I'd pick a good guild there if I were you, if only for occasional help and advice.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

I don't anticipate any problems. I have a great PC so it should be fine. I run LoTRO on Very High in raids with little lag and can run regulalry on Ultra High. Im dling the free trial now, well in the patching process to be more exact. Thnk you for the input and i will try the server you mentioned to start. The number of classes is healthy I'll have to figure out which ones best suit my playstyle. In LoTRO I am a fan of the Hunter and Burgler classes so Ranger looks like a good fit from the decriptions. I like DPs classes and even a little cc and debuff support like the Burg in LoTRO does.  I don't like things to be too complicated though which is why I generally stay away from caster classes but Im not sure how they work in AoC. It odd even though I've read quite a lot I still feel like I know nothing mostly because I have no personal experience and ahvent heard it from someone I know lol.

PS- Forgive my typos, I have clumsy fingers and Im generally too lazy to try and correct them.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

AoC is a good game, if you enjoy grinding and PvE. If both of those things are something you can devote your time to, then by all means go ahead, try AoC. I just bought a couple AoC copies back here in Finland for 2,50 Euros each, so the cost is quite alright for the game quality. Going from level 1 to 80 is a cool journey, too.

I suggest not buying Rise of the Godslayer expansion until you're sure that you enjoy grinding, though. There's barely anything else to do in RotGS.

You forget the additional variety that RotGS offers between L20-40. RotGS has 5 large areas, 1 is for L20-40 and the other 4 are for L80 (mobs are all L80+)

Next to that, it's true that RotGS has at the moment a lot of grinding quests if you want the faction rewards, but it still has a lot to do and to explore even besides that, and the landscape has stunning vistas.

I read btw that buying the AoC box via online market sites is cheaper than buying an AoC account on the official sites and downloading the game.

The ranger has just known a revamp, personally I like it, it has an interesting take on creating combination attacks.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Originally posted by cyphers

You forget the additional variety that RotGS offers between L20-40. RotGS has 5 large areas, 1 is for L20-40 and the other 4 are for L80 (mobs are all L80+)

Next to that, it's true that RotGS has at the moment a lot of grinding quests if you want the faction rewards, but it still has a lot to do and to explore even besides that, and the landscape has stunning vistas.

I read btw that buying the AoC box via online market sites is cheaper than buying an AoC account on the official sites and downloading the game.

The ranger has just known a revamp, personally I like it, it has an interesting take on creating combination attacks.

Yep, I agree with your comment about the zones. I'd just suggest waiting to get to 80 before buying them. There's enough stuff in the regular version to get to 80 as it is, anyway.

RotGS has many cool things in it for sure, I just wish changes would be made much sooner than it seems now. RotGS has been out a while now and still I find it disturbing how little is being done to soften the blow of grinding.

I'd really appreciate some serious and FAST changes to Rangers ability to drain and do some quite remarkable damage from such a range.

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

I have been doing more reading while I continue to wait for all the patching to complete. Only about 20 mins more. Anyhow I have also taken an interest in the Conqueror class. It seems to be well rounded, can take lumps and dish out some good DPs and has some great utilites that are good for grouping as well as soloing. I though maybe it seemed like a good starter kind of class. Im not sure what the learning curve on the classes are like but it looks interesting and the OT is often fun as you;re up in the frey but not responsible for the unhealthy job of tanking.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

So how you getting on? What do you thnk of the Conq after a little time with it?

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

AOC is a Worth it game i did Try many MMOs couldn't stick to one but this

and as i see it all ppl who ove LOTRO do love AOC for sure dono why but it's mostly what i saw and my self is a LOTRO guy

Give it  a Try  and about the PVE thing even PVP servers got lots of PVE ppl and raids all the time and the fun of some ganking :)

take care and good luck :)

• VepgenusVepgenus Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by wasim470

and as i see it all ppl who ove LOTRO do love AOC for sure dono why but it's mostly what i saw and my self is a LOTRO guy

Give it  a Try  and about the PVE thing even PVP servers got lots of PVE ppl and raids all the time and the fun of some ganking :)

Yes PvE is huge on PvP servers because funcom killed the PvP aspect of the game, if you like PvE and Grinding you'll like AoC, if you are looking for a balanced PvP/PvE game this game is not for you, and if your looking for a good PvP game skip this game at all costs.

But PvE fans should have a good time with AoC.

• Catriona85Catriona85 Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by Vepgenus

Originally posted by wasim470

Yes PvE is huge on PvP servers because funcom killed the PvP aspect of the game, if you like PvE and Grinding you'll like AoC, if you are looking for a balanced PvP/PvE game this game is not for you, and if your looking for a good PvP game skip this game at all costs.

But PvE fans should have a good time with AoC.

Spot on Vep. AoC pvp died at patch 1.05. But as you have said, and I reiterate. If you like grinding and pve AoC is a great game. There is a TON of stuff to do if you are a pve'er. If you want pvp, don't touch this game with a bargepole. It's broken horribly, full of cheaters and exploiters who go unpunished, and is now all about gear and items. Which Funcom said they wouldn't do.

Tranca [RUS corp]

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Take your money and spend it on something worthwhile.  I subbed to AOC for a year due to a good deal, total waste of money. The problem isn't the game, it's the people that manage/run it - in a word they are 'useless'.  Also it's free to play in Korea so I would hold on and see what happens. Even though Funcom state they have no plans to go free to play in Europe/USA you never know with these guys.   Everything with them is just vague enough to never give you a direct answer.  

You also get a very lopsided view of things if you check forums and that, due to the habit of Funcom of banning anybody they doesn't post favorably about their game.  It even happens here with the developer blog - I  posted about their policy of banning people in a look back at the community and it vanishes.  Underhanded, vague and totally untrustworthy as a company.  They just don't know how to handle criticism, so they try and censor anything they don't like to give a false impression of the world of Funcom.  Don't be drawn in, if you want a game where

• Bugs don't get fixed and new bugs are being introduced all the time.

• Performance is not even considered, there are memory leaks all over the shop.

• The opinions of the players don't matter in fact they are actively ignored.  

• The Game Director is there for his PR skills and very little else, he knows (being a former journalist) how to phrase things in just the right way that he never commits to anything.

• A company that doesn't play it's own game.

I could go on and on, but honestly don't give Funcom your money.  The game is ok, but constantly let down by Funcom. Nothing happens in-game, nothing gets fixed, you just get loads of fluff padding the game out to unworkable dimensions and with each patch performance takes a nose dive.  High latency, lag spikes, poor patch implementations.  I could write a book on the failings of this company. 

Originally posted by fallenlords

You also get a very lopsided view of things if you check forums and that, due to the habit of Funcom of banning anybody they doesn't post favorably about their game.  It even happens here with the developer blog - I  posted about their policy of banning people in a look back at the community and it vanishes. 

I call bullshit. Double bullshit. I can recall your posts going on and on for months after months when I even wished they'd ban you because your posts became nothing more than whining, flaming and crying. Still, your posts kept appearing.

And the forums here are the same, you have equal chance to get banned when the mods think you've crossed the lines they've set. There are certainly a few times I got banned where I felt it wasn't justified, but still got banned. Nothing to do with how favorable or unfavorable towards a game you post, but more with how you do it.

Don't be drawn in, if you want a game where

• Bugs don't get fixed and new bugs are being introduced all the time. Blatant lying, bugs get fixed all the time, only maybe not the ones or with the speed you'd like 

• Performance is not even considered, there are memory leaks all over the shop. Yes, I read about your problems w it on the AoC forums. Strangely enough, the problems you kept having weren't the ones 9 out of 10 of the other players had. Me, I had memory leaks the 1st few days after RotGS launch, but they stopped after the 1st patch.

• The opinions of the players don't matter in fact they are actively ignored.  In your case, that was definitely true, but it was more the case of presentation, how you kept whining on negatively about anything and everything.

• The Game Director is there for his PR skills and very little else, he knows (being a former journalist) how to phrase things in just the right way that he never commits to anything. Don't think so. He's better than most of the game directors in the field bc of his community manager background, but in the time that he's been around a lot of the mess that AoC was in got fixed until it's pretty enjoyable PvE experience, with PvP gameplay attached to it.   

• A company that doesn't play it's own game. If you have real proof besides some vague accusations and your gut feelings, feel free to share.

I could go on and on, but honestly don't give Funcom your money.  The game is ok, but constantly let down by Funcom. Nothing happens in-game, nothing gets fixed, you just get loads of fluff padding the game out to unworkable dimensions and with each patch performance takes a nose dive.  High latency, lag spikes, poor patch implementations.  I could write a book on the failings of this company. 

Exactly my post's going on and on about what, the same thing.  As in things didn't get fixed, things didn't get addressed - so I kept on and on and on ... but still nothing.  Ever get a direct answer to a direct question from the GD ... no. 

Bugs - Bugs don't get fixed,  oh unless we are talking about the bugs nobody cares about.  Yeah, they tend to fix those - but you check any patch update notes and you will see the distinct 'lack' of bug fixing. Compare them to say example Fallen Earth patch release notes, Global Agenda - or any other game.  Notice how other companies focus on resolving bugs - something this company doesn't do.  Latest patches have been nothing but exploit fixes.  You are lucky to get one or two bugs fixed each patch.  At the same time you will probably have 10 or more introduced. 

Performance - The memory issues were mainly related to Windows 7 32bit and what did Funcom do about it - nothing.  What was there advice - to follow some hack posted by a member on the forum to increase available memory, why because there client has a memory leak.   It was also happening on XP and the only people doing anything about it as far as investigating or coming up with possible reason was the users. What was their offer to me, to give me free game time to a game I couldn't play .. fantastic.

Opinions - Community screaming for things, they don't listen.  Extra storage for example. Fixing sieges.  They didn't listen to me, they didn't listen to anybody apart from those invisible people that wanted off-line leveling.  Nice how I get a ban just prior to the Korea announcement - who would of been vocal on those forums about that then... hmm I wonder.

GD - Is a muppet, he never answers a direct question with a direct answer he is vague in the extreme.  I personally don't rate him and in my opinion you should have somebody in charge that is a developer. People asking for a rollback is evidence enough that I am not the only one that thinks things are not that great, PVP certainly has died.

Don't play there own game - well explain then how prior to a patch the Barb stance is fine. A patch is released and the first thing I notice is the Barb stance is screwed.  I notice it within a few minutes of playing - they obviously don't play or even test their own game.  Or perhaps even worse - they don't care about the quality of the software they produce.

My advice to anybody - and let's not forget the Funcom fanboi's get around - buy any other game. If I could I would take the money I have given these people and give it to any other game company. Most appear to be trying, go and buy Mount and Blade: Warband from an Indie company, or Lead and Gold (great game) ... anything, but these guys don't deserve you hard earned cash and they make no effort with this game at all.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by fcazares

I don't anticipate any problems. I have a great PC so it should be fine. I run LoTRO on Very High in raids with little lag and can run regulalry on Ultra High. Im dling the free trial now, well in the patching process to be more exact. Thnk you for the input and i will try the server you mentioned to start. The number of classes is healthy I'll have to figure out which ones best suit my playstyle. In LoTRO I am a fan of the Hunter and Burgler classes so Ranger looks like a good fit from the decriptions. I like DPs classes and even a little cc and debuff support like the Burg in LoTRO does.  I don't like things to be too complicated though which is why I generally stay away from caster classes but Im not sure how they work in AoC. It odd even though I've read quite a lot I still feel like I know nothing mostly because I have no personal experience and ahvent heard it from someone I know lol.

PS- Forgive my typos, I have clumsy fingers and Im generally too lazy to try and correct them.

AoC can be a lot more demanding on a system than LOTRO. Of course, it looks a lot better too.

Comunity has been great for me on PvE servers. Though I fault the game for lack of incentives to group, people do quite often just for fun.

Caster classes are actually somewhat simpler in AoC imo. Those that dont have combos anyway. I think on a whole it is more complex than LOTRO. I had to redo my normal keybind setup quite a bit. Even bought a g13, though that is not needed, just convenient. Also, note that many of the classes are hybrid compared to other games. Most have damage, some CC, some defense. hell even two of the tanks provide light team heals.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Just a word of warning, if you have a 64bit OS and oodles of memory then you shouldn't have many issues, but there are lag/latency problems. If you are running a 32 bit OS memory leaks could cause crashes.You might think decent PC = game runs well, which for most games would be the case. You might not find that to be the case with AOC, quite a few people (including me) have upgraded rigs with AOC in mind only to find our performance is worse.  There are performance issues that again are not acknowledged and neatly tucked out of site on the Technical Issues and 'No Solutions' forum.  One being CPU affinity AOC can't utilise more than one CPU - so for example a quad core is worthless with this game . AOC doesn't really like ATI graphics cards, no matter how good they are overall.   Again normal game rules don't tend to apply with AOC, altering settings to low can give you worse performance than maxing everything out.   A lot of it defies any known logic to be honest, but when you enter the world of Funcom you enter a strange new place.

Originally posted by astoria

AoC can be a lot more demanding on a system than LOTRO. Of course, it looks a lot better too.

Comunity has been great for me on PvE servers. Though I fault the game for lack of incentives to group, people do quite often just for fun.

Caster classes are actually somewhat simpler in AoC imo. Those that dont have combos anyway. I think on a whole it is more complex than LOTRO. I had to redo my normal keybind setup quite a bit. Even bought a g13, though that is not needed, just convenient. Also, note that many of the classes are hybrid compared to other games. Most have damage, some CC, some defense. hell even two of the tanks provide light team heals.

Remember a major difference between LOTRo and AoC, LOTRo has a much larger player population, AoC is slowly withering away (except for the PvE servers) Funcom might as well scrap all PvP and just concentrate on PvE, since the PvE is already decent dedicate time to that aspect of the game and scrap any PvP ideas. PvP in AoC is beyond saving at this point, make AoC a pure PvE game and it will have a chance of surviving the next big MMO releases.

You also get a very lopsided view of things if you check forums and that, due to the habit of Funcom of banning anybody they doesn't post favorably about their game.  It even happens here with the developer blog - I  posted about their policy of banning people in a look back at the community and it vanishes. 

I call bullshit. Double bullshit. I can recall your posts going on and on for months after months when I even wished they'd ban you because your posts became nothing more than whining, flaming and crying. Still, your posts kept appearing.

And the forums here are the same, you have equal chance to get banned when the mods think you've crossed the lines they've set. There are certainly a few times I got banned where I felt it wasn't justified, but still got banned. Nothing to do with how favorable or unfavorable towards a game you post, but more with how you do it.

• Bugs don't get fixed and new bugs are being introduced all the time. Blatant lying, bugs get fixed all the time, only maybe not the ones or with the speed you'd like 

• Performance is not even considered, there are memory leaks all over the shop. Yes, I read about your problems w it on the AoC forums. Strangely enough, the problems you kept having weren't the ones 9 out of 10 of the other players had. Me, I had memory leaks the 1st few days after RotGS launch, but they stopped after the 1st patch.

• The opinions of the players don't matter in fact they are actively ignored.  In your case, that was definitely true, but it was more the case of presentation, how you kept whining on negatively about anything and everything.

• The Game Director is there for his PR skills and very little else, he knows (being a former journalist) how to phrase things in just the right way that he never commits to anything. Don't think so. He's better than most of the game directors in the field bc of his community manager background, but in the time that he's been around a lot of the mess that AoC was in got fixed until it's pretty enjoyable PvE experience, with PvP gameplay attached to it.   

• A company that doesn't play it's own game. If you have real proof besides some vague accusations and your gut feelings, feel free to share.

Nope Cyphers your wong very wrong, very very wrong, fallenlords made a very good post about the negatives of Funcom. Age of Conan would be better served if it were being produced by another company at this point, I daresay even SOE could do a better job. If Funcom wants to salvage the ship wreck that AoC has become, just scrap PvP at this point and concentrate on PvE, if AoC were to go to a pure PvE game the pop would finally stabilize.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Nope Cyphers your wong very wrong, very very wrong, fallenlords made a very good post about the negatives of Funcom. Age of Conan would be better served if it were being produced by another company at this point, I daresay even SOE could do a better job. If Funcom wants to salvage the ship wreck that AoC has become, just scrap PvP at this point and concentrate on PvE, if AoC were to go to a pure PvE game the pop would finally stabilize.

I agree with most of what you said...But the underlined is going a bit too far...image

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

AoC is a good game with some great PvE content if you're looking for a game that's a little less similar to WoW than the majority of the competition.  I will, however, say that for the love of God, do not roll a toon on a PvP server unless you liked getting ganked, and by ganked, I mean running around in AoC feels more like I'm playing Unreal Tournament than an MMO...

Lol. Of course you say that, you agree with everyone that's negative about Funcom or AoC and disagree with everyone that's positive about AoC/Funcom. What's new? image

Just a word of warning, if you have a 64bit OS and oodles of memory then you shouldn't have many issues, but there are lag/latency problems. If you are running a 32 bit OS memory leaks could cause crashes.You might think decent PC = game runs well, which for most games would be the case. You might not find that to be the case with AOC, quite a few people (including me) have upgraded rigs with AOC in mind only to find our performance is worse.  There are performance issues that again are not acknowledged and neatly tucked out of site on the Technical Issues and 'No Solutions' forum.  One being CPU affinity AOC can't utilise more than one CPU - so for example a quad core is worthless with this game . AOC doesn't really like ATI graphics cards, no matter how good they are overall.   Again normal game rules don't tend to apply with AOC, altering settings to low can give you worse performance than maxing everything out.   A lot of it defies any known logic to be honest, but when you enter the world of Funcom you enter a strange new place.

I have an ATI card, a year or 2 old. I've a quadcore processor. Also, I'm running on 32 bit OS. No crashes, no lag. Running on DX10 high settings. When I notice that framerate is dropping bc of a lot of stuff happening onscreen (massive pvp and such), then I adjust settings like Alias and Occlusion and I've increased with +20fps again.

I guess everyone's experience is different.

Remember a major difference between LOTRo and AoC, LOTRo has a much larger player population, AoC is slowly withering away (except for the PvE servers) Funcom might as well scrap all PvP and just concentrate on PvE, since the PvE is already decent dedicate time to that aspect of the game and scrap any PvP ideas. PvP in AoC is beyond saving at this point, make AoC a pure PvE game and it will have a chance of surviving the next big MMO releases.

I checked, with LotrO and AoC servers. A LotrO server medium to high amounted to concurrent users of 1000-1200, the AoC PvE server I played on had 1500+ concurrent users. No problems with lag or crashes or whatever while playing though.

PvP is the focus point for FC's development team for the next months. So I guess we'll see how much beyond saving it'll be. The people I'm with sure are having more fun though fighting in CE after the last Bori patch.

AOC is a tired bug-ridden game with a propritary game engine that isn't up to the job and throws out that many annomalies you can't apply logic.  Too many people have bought better rigs to improve performance to find performance improving in everything but AOC - we are even talking liquid cooled Alienware stuff here.   Funcom don't focus on performance or stability and there game client is a huge 30gb. Options don't work - like selecting low textures - it makes no difference. Resource database checks downloads gigs of information but does nothing, it's so useless people tell you not to run it because you end up just downloading crap.   Some people have had some success with removing everything and re-installing - but overall the whole infastructure is a mess.  Next to no testing happens and they are flying by the seat of their pants.

Shrug. Whatever. I didn't need a liquid cooled system to run it smoothly for every situation, just some tweaking. It's a strange world indeed.

• ArnuphisArnuphis Member Posts: 103

I usually have little, if any technical issues with the game. The grey maps etc. of yesteryear are long gone. 

I get the crash on exit that has been around forever and that server spike everyone gets during raiding, but it normally runs pretty decently. I usually get a problem when they patch. For example, the 'fix' for the invisible horse bug, which I rarely if ever got has caused me to get it every time I zone now. Also since the last patch I have had some random CTDs in Kylikki's  Crypt and Vistrix's lair. No problems anywhere else, including BRC or Khitai (not that I go there that much).

They are supposed to be making improvements to the game engine in the forthcoming months. Some of the more paranoid are saying they are just patching the f2p stuff. I'm hoping that they do make improvements so that the game will run better on more machines that it has done in the past. This is one area that is long overdue for some serious focus.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Originally posted by Arnuphis

I usually have little, if any technical issues with the game. The grey maps etc. of yesteryear are long gone. 

I get the crash on exit that has been around forever and that server spike everyone gets during raiding, but it normally runs pretty decently. I usually get a problem when they patch. For example, the 'fix' for the invisible horse bug, which I rarely if ever got has caused me to get it every time I zone now. Also since the last patch I have had some random CTDs in Kylikki's  Crypt and Vistrix's lair. No problems anywhere else, including BRC or Khitai (not that I go there that much).

They are supposed to be making improvements to the game engine in the forthcoming months. Some of the more paranoid are saying they are just patching the f2p stuff. I'm hoping that they do make improvements so that the game will run better on more machines that it has done in the past. This is one area that is long overdue for some serious focus.

RE the invisable horse:  zooming in and back out on the horse will bring him back :)

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"