Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A little confused about the FTP switch

I own both "Shadows od Angmar" and "Mines of Moria" and was subscibed to the game till last December.  Will I have access to all those quests?

I have looked ofer the forums but cant seem to get this question answerd.

Comments

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

From my understanding you should have access to everything you have already paid for.  I'm confused myself about the number of character slots that will be active and the amount of bank space and such.  I have not been able to find any information about that but they have said that all the quests and zones you have already paid for will still be available.

• strondbokkenstrondbokken Member Posts: 2

I assume it would be just like any other f2p where you play for free, but the expansions are paid for, but not necessary. Plus, I would expect to maybe see some cash shop items sprout up. 

To be honest, one of the only things holding back LOTRO is the fact that they still expect people to pvp on the same map all day. 

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

# I purchased the Mines of Moria™ Expansion and/or the Siege of Mirkwood™ Expansion. Can I still access this content? Will I still be able to play my Rune-keeper or Warden characters? What if I unsubscribe?

When LOTRO Free-to-Play becomes available you will still be able to access the content and features of any expansions you have previously purchased. Whether you are a VIP or a Premium player, the content and features of these expansions will be available to you in their entirety.

If you decide not to join the VIP program or decide to downgrade to Premium player status, the content and features of these expansions will still be available to you. You will still be able to play your Rune-keeper and Warden characters as long as they are in character slots you have selected or have unlocked by visiting the LOTRO Store.

http://www.lotro.com/news/709

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

If you choose to go VIP (subscriber), you'll have access to everything you had before.

If you choose to go Premium (no monthly fee), you'll have access to the Shire, Ered Luin, Bree-Land, and Moria (since you bought Moria). You can get to the other land masses, but if you want to do quests there you'll have to buy quest packs (for example Lone Lands, North Downs, Forochel, etc.).

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by erickdefores

I own both "Shadows od Angmar" and "Mines of Moria" and was subscibed to the game till last December.  Will I have access to all those quests?

Yes you will have access the only thing I think may be an issue once free to play starts is character slots even though I hope we still keep the (seven for shadows of angmar and mines of moria).  when I played DDO in December I subbed for a few months and recieved access to the additional charater slots and then after I cancelled the sub they were locked down to like the first two or three.  Again though LOTRO came with if I remember right five then you got two more for MoM and two for the adventure pack though I'm not sure if any came with SoM.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Yes you will have access the only thing I think may be an issue once free to play starts is character slots even though I hope we still keep the (seven for shadows of angmar and mines of moria).  when I played DDO in December I subbed for a few months and recieved access to the additional charater slots and then after I cancelled the sub they were locked down to like the first two or three.  Again though LOTRO came with if I remember right five then you got two more for MoM and two for the adventure pack though I'm not sure if any came with SoM.

The OP is asking about quests though. If he goes Premium, he will not have access to quests outside of the Shire, Ered Luin, Bree-Land, and Moria without buying them. Basically he'll have no quests to do from about level 25-50 unless he pays, with exception of the epic quests which are supposedly free.

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

So even though I technically bought all the content from 25-50 when I purchased the game I can't play it even though the game is now f2p?

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by Ackbar

So even though I technically bought all the content from 25-50 when I purchased the game I can't play it even though the game is now f2p?

That is correct.  Although technically you didn't buy the content when you picked up the SoA box.  What you bought was the game client and then your sub gave you access to Turbines servers.  So in effect all you did was 'rent' the contents of the lvl 1 - 50 zones.  As soon as you stopped paying a sub, you lost all access to the servers.

What you have now without a sub is just an icon on your computer that doesn't do a thing.  What you'll have after the F2p option goes into effect is the starter zones & Bree zone with all the quests, the book quests from beginning upto Moria and access to explore and kill any MOB's anywhere / anytime in the lvl 20 - 50 zones (ND, LL, TS etc...) that you wish.

Since you owned SoA and played once you won't be considered a 'Free' player with all their restrictions, but will be a 'Premium' player which won't be as good as a paid sub, but won't be as bad as a Free player.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

Well that ends  my interest in returning. Having to pay to open quests i was already working on kills it for me.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

According to PC Gamer, if you once had a subscription which you no longer pay for, everything will be opened up completely when the game switches to its f2p model. This means any expansions, characters and content you would have had access to under the old system, will be open for you in the new system. The only thing that will be blocked off is PVMP and storage capacity may be limited to a certain extent.

• rankor2rankor2 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

# I purchased the Mines of Moria™ Expansion and/or the Siege of Mirkwood™ Expansion. Can I still access this content? Will I still be able to play my Rune-keeper or Warden characters? What if I unsubscribe?
    When LOTRO Free-to-Play becomes available you will still be able to access the content and features of any expansions you have previously purchased. Whether you are a VIP or a Premium player, the content and features of these expansions will be available to you in their entirety.
    If you decide not to join the VIP program or decide to downgrade to Premium player status, the content and features of these expansions will still be available to you. You will still be able to play your Rune-keeper and Warden characters as long as they are in character slots you have selected or have unlocked by visiting the LOTRO Store.

http://www.lotro.com/news/709

Did you read this at all? It states that you will have all content available from any expansions that you bought.

That's pretty straight forward right there.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Just remember there's only 2 expansions at this time; Moria and Mirkwood. 

Shadows of Angmar (the original game) wasn't an expansion, it was just the original game.  As such it doesn't count as 'you will have access to any expansions you had bought'. 

Unless you sub, the only Angmar zones you'll have quest access to will be the man, hobbit, elf/dwarf starter areas and Bree-land.  Anything past that you'll have to pay for no matter if you are a brand new free player, a former sub or a VIP that drops his sub (which is the same as a former sub).

Now once it goes F2p, if you buy LL or ND or TS zones for example, then you'll own the rights to the quests in the zone you bought for as long as the game lasts.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Redline65

The OP is asking about quests though. If he goes Premium, he will not have access to quests outside of the Shire, Ered Luin, Bree-Land, and Moria without buying them. Basically he'll have no quests to do from about level 25-50 unless he pays, with exception of the epic quests which are supposedly free.

Incorrect. If you continue to sub, nothing is gone. Premioum is the no subscription option (other than just free), but its triggerd if you buy somthing.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Redline65

Incorrect. If you continue to sub, nothing is gone. Premioum is the no subscription option (other than just free), but its triggerd if you buy somthing.

Which part is incorrect Mrbloodworth? He states he was subscribed to the game until last December. If he comes back to the game without resubscribing, he will be a "Premium" member. Therefore he will have to purchase any quest packs outside of Bree-Land, Ered Luin, and the Shire if he wants to quest outside of those starter areas. He will still have access to quests in Moria since he purchased Moria. 

Of course if he decides to resubscribe, he will be VIP and will still have access to everything.

So again, where I am incorrect Mrbloodworth? This isn't the first time you've told me that I'm wrong about this. I think it is YOU who doesn't have their facts straight.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

I find it a bit odd that for those that purchased SOA and choose the F2P option are limited but those who paid for Moria can play all of Moria. So if someone owns the base game and all the xpacs goes with the F2P option and rolls another toon he has to buy hte areas after the starter zones but once he gets to Moria can play all if it and MIrkwood  for free?

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• Dragon71UKDragon71UK Member Posts: 86

I think the areas lited there are for new free player that will not have to purchase any part of the game. They will be able to download the client free and as such don`t actually own  SOA.

As a purchaser of the box set, or SOA + exp(s), i would assume that you will have access to all areas you have paid for.

Played WOW (5 years), AOC, AO, EQ2,AC2, Horizons, Saga of Ryzom, SWG, CO, STO(Beta),ROM, Allods, and many other F2P titles. Asl been in beta for many of the main titles and played countless SP games. I have been gaming for 15+ years!

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

No, that's not the case (as has been explained earlier in the thread).

The F2P model Turbine is using requires you to buy quests.

If you own Moria, you own the Moria quests. If you own Mirkwood, you own the Mirkwood, you own the Mirkwood quests.

But the original game is much bigger (and available for basically nothing if you can find a copy in stores). So you only get a portion of that, the rest you either have to buy (About $5-7 per region) or have a sub too.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• cyber7chinkcyber7chink Member UncommonPosts: 61

Originally posted by trancejeremy

If you own Moria, you own the Moria quests. If you own Mirkwood, you own the Mirkwood, you own the Mirkwood quests.

But the original game is much bigger (and available for basically nothing if you can find a copy in stores). So you only get a portion of that, the rest you either have to buy (About $5-7 per region) or have a sub too.

This is not true.

If you are a F2P member, you will have to buy quest packs and expansions in order to further your adventures (minus the storyline).

Premiums get what they bought. If you just have the basic (SoA), then you get everything, not just the beginning lands and the main storyline, but the quests you had when you purchased SoA. If you are premium and have SoA+MoM+SoM, you have access to all quests from beginning to end, and the only thing you really have to worry about is certain character development locks, storage, AH, and traveling ( there are a few more but they are cosmetics). But you still can get to max level in F2P, or premium. You might have to grind if you dont get any questpacks or expansions, but you still can reach max.

Originally posted by cyber7chink

Originally posted by trancejeremy

This is not true.

If you are a F2P member, you will have to buy quest packs and expansions in order to further your adventures (minus the storyline).

Premiums get what they bought. If you just have the basic (SoA), then you get everything, not just the beginning lands and the main storyline, but the quests you had when you purchased SoA. If you are premium and have SoA+MoM+SoM, you have access to all quests from beginning to end, and the only thing you really have to worry about is certain character development locks, storage, AH, and traveling ( there are a few more but they are cosmetics). But you still can get to max level in F2P, or premium. You might have to grind if you dont get any questpacks or expansions, but you still can reach max.

Look at the VIP chart under Premium for the Quest Packs row. It says "Ered Luin, Shire, Bree-land

(can purchase more)". That's all the quests a Premium player will have access to in the SoA content. They won't get everything.

http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

You may be confusing Premium with VIP.

Well to get premium upgrade you only have to buy points from them. Doesn`t mean you own SOA.

Played WOW (5 years), AOC, AO, EQ2,AC2, Horizons, Saga of Ryzom, SWG, CO, STO(Beta),ROM, Allods, and many other F2P titles. Asl been in beta for many of the main titles and played countless SP games. I have been gaming for 15+ years!

Originally posted by Dragon71UK

Well to get premium upgrade you only have to buy points from them. Doesn`t mean you own SOA.

Right, but people who purchased SoA in the past and no longer pay a monthly sub will be Premium as well. In this case they'll have to purchase quest packs for areas such as Lone Lands, North Downs, Angmar, etc... if they want to do quests in those areas.

Here's a link where this question was answered on the official forums.

One of the things the beta is for is to help us determine which parts, if any, of the additional content from SOA should be made free and which should be made purchasable and for how much.

So in other words, no final answer yet, but the beta will help it get finalized!

So it`s not really been confirmed either.