Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most optimal path

2»

Comments

• oomph_69oomph_69 Member UncommonPosts: 46

One thing that I'd like to add about the Drake is that it's boring to fly :)

Sure it does rock for PvE, but Caldari as a PvP race in general is not that fun to play. Sure the Falcon is fun at first, but over rated.  The Drake is a decent PvP ship to learn to PvP on, because you're usually not the first target and have some decent surviviability. However, compared to other ships, it's rather dull to fly.

I have multple accounts and can I fly all 4 races, 3 of which I can fly Capital ships on, so I've had the opportunity to experience a good chunk of the ships available to every race.

Here is what I can say based on my experience:

Minmatarr -

Best and most fun PvP race to play.  Most skill intensive, and takes a while to really begin to shine.  I don't particularly enjoy mission running running on my Minmatar, because autocannons and artillary aren't the best when it comes to PvE. Although I do recommend the Minmatar race to people, I would advice against it as a first character. Mostly because of the amount of time it takes to train up and fit some of the ships effectively. Some will argue that you can fit ships well, but beyond a rifter or interceptor, the skill training begins to get more intense.

Gallente-

Fun to PvP in and in my opinion  the most balanced race. They can PvP, PvE are good industrialist characters. They also cross train well with other races.

Caldari-

Best PvE race, because of the quick availbility of the Drake and the easy to train support skills.

Amarr:

It used to be the black sheep of races and it is the least played race overall. However, I recently began flying them and they have some fun ships. More entertaining than Caldari IMO. You'll need good support skills (capicator), but otherwise they are pretty straightf orward to train. CCP recently gave them some love and I'm seeing more and more Amarr pilots in 0.0 these days. Ammar ships are great for mission runners and pvp ships.

If I were starting fresh, I would pick either Gallente or Caldari for the following reasons.

If you're the carebear type, go Caldari and you can mission run to your hearts content. Caldari shield skills also benefit you quite a bit when it comes to fitting mining barges and exhumers (Hulk & Mackinaw). Also, you can work for research agents from Kaalakiota or Lai Dai to build up standings and get data cores for invention.

If you're more the interested in exploring and PvPing, then Gallente is a good choice. They are more skill intensive on the drones, but the gunnery and armor tanking skills benefit you with both Amarr and Minmatar. It's an easy transition to both races once you've trained up your core skills. (Amarr prolly being the easiest transition)

If that's your plan, then focus more on your learning and support skills. For instance Surgical Strike, Controlled bursts and Rapid fire will benefit Auto Cannons, Hybrid and Energy Turrets. Training those skills up first gives you more DPS across the board. Also focusing on engineering and electronics will allow you to become cap stable and fit properly. Navigation skills like evasive manuvering and high speed manuevering are also nice to level up to 4 or 5. Especially if you plan to fly a fast tackle ship like a frigate or intercepter.

Don't get too crazy in spaceship command, lots of people spend too much time training ships that they can't fit well.  Make a goal for yourself and build up towards something slowly. Once you're able to fit that type of ship well, move on to the next. This will make fitting the next tier ship much easier and cross training that ship type will be quicker too. Spending time in each ship type will make you a better player overall and you will learn how to fly and fit your ships better.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by oomph_69

Sure it does rock for PvE, but Caldari as a PvP race in general is not that fun to play. Sure the Falcon is fun at first, but over rated.  The Drake is a decent PvP ship to learn to PvP on, because you're usually not the first target and have some decent surviviability. However, compared to other ships, it's rather dull to fly.

I have multple accounts and can I fly all 4 races, 3 of which I can fly Capital ships on, so I've had the opportunity to experience a good chunk of the ships available to every race.

Minmatarr -

Best and most fun PvP race to play.  Most skill intensive, and takes a while to really begin to shine.  I don't particularly enjoy mission running running on my Minmatar, because autocannons and artillary aren't the best when it comes to PvE. Although I do recommend the Minmatar race to people, I would advice against it as a first character. Mostly because of the amount of time it takes to train up and fit some of the ships effectively. Some will argue that you can fit ships well, but beyond a rifter or interceptor, the skill training begins to get more intense.

Gallente-

Fun to PvP in and in my opinion  the most balanced race. They can PvP, PvE are good industrialist characters. They also cross train well with other races.

Caldari-

Best PvE race, because of the quick availbility of the Drake and the easy to train support skills.

Amarr:

It used to be the black sheep of races and it is the least played race overall. However, I recently began flying them and they have some fun ships. More entertaining than Caldari IMO. You'll need good support skills (capicator), but otherwise they are pretty straightf orward to train. CCP recently gave them some love and I'm seeing more and more Amarr pilots in 0.0 these days. Ammar ships are great for mission runners and pvp ships.

If I were starting fresh, I would pick either Gallente or Caldari for the following reasons.

If you're the carebear type, go Caldari and you can mission run to your hearts content. Caldari shield skills also benefit you quite a bit when it comes to fitting mining barges and exhumers (Hulk & Mackinaw). Also, you can work for research agents from Kaalakiota or Lai Dai to build up standings and get data cores for invention.

If you're more the interested in exploring and PvPing, then Gallente is a good choice. They are more skill intensive on the drones, but the gunnery and armor tanking skills benefit you with both Amarr and Minmatar. It's an easy transition to both races once you've trained up your core skills. (Amarr prolly being the easiest transition)

If that's your plan, then focus more on your learning and support skills. For instance Surgical Strike, Controlled bursts and Rapid fire will benefit Auto Cannons, Hybrid and Energy Turrets. Training those skills up first gives you more DPS across the board. Also focusing on engineering and electronics will allow you to become cap stable and fit properly. Navigation skills like evasive manuvering and high speed manuevering are also nice to level up to 4 or 5. Especially if you plan to fly a fast tackle ship like a frigate or intercepter.

Don't get too crazy in spaceship command, lots of people spend too much time training ships that they can't fit well.  Make a goal for yourself and build up towards something slowly. Once you're able to fit that type of ship well, move on to the next. This will make fitting the next tier ship much easier and cross training that ship type will be quicker too. Spending time in each ship type will make you a better player overall and you will learn how to fly and fit your ships better.

great post, thanks for typing this up. I'd even suggest copy pasting it into a sticky.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Minis are tough, for example to fly a typhoon great, you need fantastic, armor tanking, guns, missles and drone skills.

That being said train learning skills except social all to 4 then 2 or 3 in the advanced, its dull but cuts down on time in the long run

would like to state I am a mini pilot and love it, cant have to many canes or sabres. and I love my typhoon for ratting

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

The minor detail people (including me) have missed out.

Appearance.

Would you feel happy/comfortable with looking at something that resembles a flying penis or an upsidedown shoe, for almost all your playing time ...

Preview the different ship lines, see which you like looking at the most.

Mission Running -> Frigate, Cruiser, BC & BS

Trading#1 -> Industrial/Freighter

Trading#2 -> Covert Ops (T2 Frigate), Transports (T2 Industrial)

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by pmaura

Minis are tough, for example to fly a typhoon great, you need fantastic, armor tanking, guns, missles and drone skills.

That being said train learning skills except social all to 4 then 2 or 3 in the advanced, its dull but cuts down on time in the long run

would like to state I am a mini pilot and love it, cant have to many canes or sabres. and I love my typhoon for ratting

Don't completely ignore charisma, just EVEMON and use the suggested plan because a certain amount of charisma helps cut down on time for Focus at 4/5. I think training Empathy to level 2 is what you need to save time.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Started playing one month ago. I made minimatar character , developed my skills towards automatic cannons and armor tanking.

Now i am thinking of perhaps starting new character making it more optimal.

Goal would be to move from frigate>cruiser>battle cruiser>battle ship , - to be perfectly capable soloing L4 missions.

Choosing skills - that will complement each other from frig to battleship

(not training armor tanking and than realizing i will need shield tanking, or training autocannons than realising i need energy weapons...etc)

Also goal is to make PVE mission character > later developing into stealth blockade runner / trader

In minimal time , using most complementing ship builds and skills.

Can any of EVE experts here help ?

I'm sure it's been mentioned several times in this thread, but EVEMon. It will auto-adjust to most optimal path for training when you press the Optimal button. 

Just don't forget to add ALL your learning skills in there. It takes those into account too. If you do a year at a time and are up for a Neural Remap (I think that's what it's called), then it will adjust those for most optimal as well. 

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Minmatarr -

Specialized~! you dont need to grab every skill to make minnie ships works. Vaga and cane for example requires shield tanking, gunnery, drones, and some navigation skills (other than core fitting skills which every race have to train). Only the phoon requires more skillpoint to MAX it, NOT to make it work you can go all missiles or all guns. it will work fine. New patch makes projectiles work with PVE (selectable damage types). Vargur now are on par with the golem.

Gallente-

This is your opinion, not gonna comment

Caldari-

They are good at PVE because of shield tanking (frees up low slots for damage mods, and shield boosters works better than armor reppers) and selectable damage types, NOT because of the drake.

Amarr:

They way CCP buff amarr ships is that they gave them better base capacitor, and some ships have bonus to Laser cap usage. The guns itself already had their cap usage dropped AFAIK, other races will need capacitor skills (RE: core skills) Amarr ships are great at their own turf (againts sansha/blood raider rats) having restricted damage types gimped them a bit againts other rats.

This are elementary knowledge, but controlled bursts dont benefit projectiles as they dont require caps to use'

I agree on you with this one.

Originally posted by yaminsux

Minmatarr -

Specialized~! you dont need to grab every skill to make minnie ships works. Vaga and cane for example requires shield tanking, gunnery, drones, and some navigation skills (other than core fitting skills which every race have to train). Only the phoon requires more skillpoint to MAX it, NOT to make it work you can go all missiles or all guns. it will work fine. New patch makes projectiles work with PVE (selectable damage types). Vargur now are on par with the golem.

The new patch makes them work better, but I still wouldn't call Minmatar the best option for PvE.  But hey, we're all entitled to our opinions.

You're correct about not needing every skill to make Minmatar ships work, but that wasn't my point. My point was that the Minmatar race is overall the most skill intensive race to play.  That is coming from someone that has built a min/max pure piloting Minmatar PvP character. If all you wanna do is get into a Vaga quickly you could go that route,  however the gran scheme of things there is more to it.  Minmatar have lots of fun ships and in order to enjoy them all, it's gonna take more time than the other races. A newer player may not have the patience that you and I had.

Gallente-

This is your opinion, not gonna comment

Caldari-

They are good at PVE because of shield tanking (frees up low slots for damage mods, and shield boosters works better than armor reppers) and selectable damage types, NOT because of the drake.

Well since the Drake is a Caldari ship and Caldari ships ARE shield tank ships, I'd say it's because of the Drake that Caldari make a good choice for PvE pilots.  Your decription just does a good job at explaining why Drakes are effective. But the short answer is that you can fit and train them quick.

Amarr:

They way CCP buff amarr ships is that they gave them better base capacitor, and some ships have bonus to Laser cap usage. The guns itself already had their cap usage dropped AFAIK, other races will need capacitor skills (RE: core skills) Amarr ships are great at their own turf (againts sansha/blood raider rats) having restricted damage types gimped them a bit againts other rats.

This are elementary knowledge, but controlled bursts dont benefit projectiles as they dont require caps to use'

Correct, but I'd still recommend training it up unless you're exclusively flying Minmatar. Along with a few other skills like Trajectory Analysis. Take some time to plan things out in Evemon and try to maximize your DPS as best you can.

I agree on you with this one.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

One of the best ships for doing lvl4 missions is the Nightmare. Train that. It is relatively easier to train than a marauder.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

1. Set i=0, S0= {u0=s}, L(u0)=0, and L(v)=infinity for v <> u0. If |V| = 1 then stop, otherwise go to step 2.
    2. For each v in VSi, replace L(v) by min{L(v), L(ui)+dvui}. If L(v) is replaced, put a label (L(v), ui) on v.
    3. Find a vertex v which minimizes {L(v): v in VSi}, say ui+1.
    4. Let Si+1 = Si cup {ui+1}.
    5. Replace i by i+1. If i=|V|-1 then stop, otherwise go to step 2.

You're welcome ^^

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Ok. On the end i went with Caldari.

I was bit split between Gallente and Caldari. And still am...they seem to have similar benefits (one being easier to train -while other being bit more useful on the end)

On the end , i went by the look of the ships.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Nominative determinism at work ITT.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis

Nominative determinism at work ITT.

Uh ?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Perfect.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Started playing one month ago. I made minimatar character , developed my skills towards automatic cannons and armor tanking.

Now i am thinking of perhaps starting new character making it more optimal.

Goal would be to move from frigate>cruiser>battle cruiser>battle ship , - to be perfectly capable soloing L4 missions.

Choosing skills - that will complement each other from frig to battleship

(not training armor tanking and than realizing i will need shield tanking, or training autocannons than realising i need energy weapons...etc)

Also goal is to make PVE mission character > later developing into stealth blockade runner / trader

In minimal time , using most complementing ship builds and skills.

Well, would not consider myself an expert, but still got few pointers.

One month is a very short time to play EVE, you have not done any mistakes that cannot be corrected.

1. Minmatar is the typical thing that many new players do. Their ships use variety of tech. From shield tanking to armor tanking and from mixture of missiles to gunnery skills. It is not a mistake. Minmatar just takes longer to train up respetively.

2. Arguably the best PvE, L4, mission ships come from either Caldari Navy Raven/Golem both use missiles or Sansha Nation - Nightmare that uses lasers. However, training Caldari Battleship skill does not go waste on Nightmare either, as it uses both Caldari and Amarr battleship skills for ship bonuses.

3. Like you probably know that every faction has battleships that can do L4 missions easily, but with Raven/Golem or Nightmare you get to complete them slightly quicker.

4. Training Caldari way is probably the easiest and quickest way to get a suitable ship for L4 missions. You can fly Raven easily with sub-2m SP. Nightmare only become suitable with good set of gunnery, engineering and ship skills.

With all that, in your case, I would probably take a second account which I would train as a blockade runner/trader.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Here are a couple of tips I recommend.  Train some stuff up in the choice of ship you want to run missions in right away...once you have some skills to keep you playing steady for a bit, train primary atributes to 5 and then secondary to 4 and get beta level atribute implants to assit in training.   You can thank me later.

Yea. I allready started training learning skills (only ones that EVE mon recomended). It only takes 2 days.

And, as for missions. No hurry. I also do much trading hauling. And for that i dont need many skills ;)

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Ok. On the end i went with Caldari.

I was bit split between Gallente and Caldari. And still am...they seem to have similar benefits (one being easier to train -while other being bit more useful on the end)

On the end , i went by the look of the ships.

Like I said before, I went Caldari and crossed trained to Gallente. It will unlock Gurista boats which are pretty sweet for PVE and Gallente has better gankships.

Even going Caldari first though, I would train up a fair amount of drone skills. Ravens can field 5 medium scout drones, and with good enough skills you never have to waste ammo on anything smaller than a BC.

Also, certain Gallente ships can be shield tanked quite effectively.

Mission running with a Caldari Raven and Gallente (Domi) is great, because of the utility of the Domi. setup remote rep and salvage on the high slots. Set your drones to assist the Raven and go from there.