Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For what it's worth... I rejoined and I am really digging the game (lowbie review)

MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

(I don't do "TLDR", so if you are too impatient or stupid to read a page or two of text, you may depart now.)

I know this website tends to get weird ass people who come here and evangelize for dying games in a desperate attempt to get more people to join, but I am not those people and from what I can tell, Fallen Earth is not a dying game.

It is, however, a niche/indy game and you can see it in both the postive and negative aspects of the game's design. I followed it for a while before launch, and got in as soon as I could.  I initially played until about level six before I became frustrated with the skill system, the lack of direction for newbies to take when they join, and clunkiness of the gameplay.  I left and didn't come back until a couple weeks ago.

I had been reading some good comments here and there about the game recently, and then read an article that they had added camps/campfires (along with other social features) to the game, and I became intrigued. Camps are the programming prelude to in-game player housing coming at a later date, and Icarus recently did a press release talking about a whole slew of new things they plan to add to the game. These updates are a little slow coming due to the indy nature of the company, but that's to be expected.  I figured what the hell, I already bought it, so why not give it another go?

Overall, having now reached level six again with a new toon, I am having a really good time.  The game isn't perfect, but Icarus have done away with or improved many of the things that bothered me about the UI and the game play clunkiness.  I feel much more connected with my character now, even though there is still more room for improvement.

Questing feels a lot more coherent than it did at launch, and combat is much more smooth and meaningful. I find myself more interested in the game's back story and world than I was before. One of the major problems I had with the game when I last tried it was simply that the game's setting, the desert Southwestern US, did not really drive me to get out and explore.  It feels like desert only without the many beautiful landmarks I happen to know exist down here because I live in the region. Since I never made it out of S1 last time to see the other areas of the game, I decided to just let the desert be and enjoy the game play.  One thing is for certain, you feel like you are lost in a dead world.  It's appropriate for the game's setting if a little uninspiring for game play.

Most importantly the S1 area of the game, basically the noob area, is very active.  During peak hours and on weekends there are lots of people running around and the help chat channel buzzes with questions and answers thanks to enthusiastic Icarus employees and veteran players who enjoy helping. One player helper named Tobias (IIRC) took a long time to explain the skill system I still couldn't figure out (more on that below) and set me on the path of getting started on a build I was interested in.  He was even kind enough to craft me a very nice crossbow while helping me in chat, and then mailed it to me.  This is the kind of thing I saw in Star Wars Galaxies back in the day;  a helpful and interesting community that can only make the game a richer experience.

The game map is huge, so it's easy to think no one is around at times, but really they are just spread all over the place on this massive map.  You will see plenty of people in the busier cities, and you will run across others doing quests where ever you are.  Use your chat windows and/or join a guild, and you won't be lonely at all.  Still, if you want to disappear off into the desert by yourself, it's not hard to leave people and civilization in your dust. Judging by the positive comments in the newbie chat, and the activity I am seeing in the starter areas, I would say that reports of this game's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Fallen Earth has that old Star Wars Galaxies sandbox feel to it, and reminded me of my starting planet of Tatooine. While the game falls short of SWG's sandbox ambition, you still get a similar feeling and Icarus could always expand the sandbox features if the players demand it.  (most of them seem to be)  The world, at least at my low level, feels large and wide open for me to explore, and you can attack your quest objectives in any strategic way that works for you.  There are tons of crafting resource nodes and junk piles to scavange, and if you want to just head on out for some music pumping mob grindage like the old days, you can do that too.

So what don't I like?  I still think S1 is sort of boring *looking*.  It feels like a desert simulation sometimes rather than a game. It would have been neat to see the plant life mutate a little and maybe have some other interesting changes to reality just to mix things up, but as I stated above, this is the desert.  Deserts are largely boring.  In the real life desert Southwest there are amazing places to visit such as hot springs, water falls, beatiful national parks, rivers and lakes. I do a lot of hiking out in this region and I would like to see Fallen Earth spruced up with an oasis of beauty or two.  Such places would likely have a HUGE social impact on the game.

The other thing I still don't really get is the skill system. Granted, I haven't tried really hard to get completely into it because I was hoping it would just reveal itself through game play.  Even with Star Wars Galaxies myriad of Pre-NGE professions, and the ability to dabble in skills, I was never the slightest bit confused about how it worked.  Even though Tobias helped me get a grip on the system enough so that I could get started building a toon I wanted, I stil don't have a clear picture of what the impact of my AP usage will be on my character when I get to the higher power/skill levels.  The fear is always there that I am somehow gimping my character and at some much later date, perhaps months down the road, I will regret a few decisions I made back when I didn't know better.

The strange part is that this has just become a fact of the game for the veteran players.  There are no respecs other than some promotions Icarus has done, and some sort of mini-respec system currently in development. Until you know the system you just play it, and later on you will reroll and build exactly what you want. I have mixed feelings about this because I love skill based games, and I am excited about the potential for custom builds, I guess I just don't like the idea of losing out on the time it takes to build a toon while I am learning the game. I can see how this will frustrate people and ultimately make some of them leave like I did at launch. I am not suggesting that the system is dumbed down, but somewhere very early in the game, the whole system needs to be explained better.  I can tell you that the way it is showed to you in the UI is not intutive at all.

What I said above will probably anger a few Fallen Earth players who have the system all figured out and feel that I must be a retard for not 'getting it'. I'm no idiot.  I won't list off my mental credentials, but lets just say I do alright for myself in the brain area.  This system simply needs to be more intuitive.  Maybe not  less complex, but much more intuitive.

In conclusion, it will take a bit of work for Icarus to keep me around beyond the launch of Guild Wars 2 next year, but the potential is there if they keep improving and delivering what they promise. I'm having a great time now, but the future remains to be seen.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Good write up. I've looked to Fallen Earth wondering if I shuold give it a go but something about a desert MMO setting doesn't appeal to me. Currently I'm playing DFO and having a blast, mostly due to enjoying the world itself and combat. Keep us updated, I may eventually give Fallen Earth a shot if AV doesn't deliver with DFO 2010 later this year.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• Fallen Earth's skill system is a harsh mistress, but hopefully the coming respec abilities will help. Seems the will be crafted too :)

I just play the way I want, screw what other people think, as long as I am having fun I don't care if I am not min/max perfection and 'doing the faction wheel', bleh to that, just have fun I say! 

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Nice review there op. Been thinking of coming back myself  to see whats going on in the wasteland, think you may have swung it for me.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Thanks for the replies. Like many people around here I have been very frustrated looking for an MMO to call home.  Now many of us are waiting for the next gen of games coming out over the next couple years, and our choices are slim.  Part of the reason I gave Fallen Earth another try was because I like the theme of the game and, well, there is nothing else out there for me that is interesting. I was very pleasantly surprised when I went back a couple weeks ago.

I have been a little interested in Darkfall because the people who love it seem to really love it. I was watching Mortal Online and I was very stoked about that one, but it seems to be struggling at this point. I still keep it on my watch list because it is a sandbox much more like what I would like to be playing.  I am particularly excited about the idea of being able to craft and have my own shops/vendors. I wish FE would consider this instead of working on the same old auction house platform that has, in my opinion, destroyed crafting/commerce as the social hub of MMO games.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Thanks for the replies. Like many people around here I have been very frustrated looking for an MMO to call home.  Now many of us are waiting for the next gen of games coming out over the next couple years, and our choices are slim.  Part of the reason I gave Fallen Earth another try was because I like the theme of the game and, well, there is nothing else out there for me that is interesting. I was very pleasantly surprised when I went back a couple weeks ago.

I have been a little interested in Darkfall because the people who love it seem to really love it. I was watching Mortal Online and I was very stoked about that one, but it seems to be struggling at this point. I still keep it on my watch list because it is a sandbox much more like what I would like to be playing.  I am particularly excited about the idea of being able to craft and have my own shops/vendors. I wish FE would consider this instead of working on the same old auction house platform that has, in my opinion, destroyed crafting/commerce as the social hub of MMO games.

Darkall was another I was considering. Played the trial and really enjoyed it. Fallen Earth will probably get my vote though, as there is a lot more to it than df. The community is amazing and I prefer the setting. Missing thoes long wasteland explorations on my horse Glueboy in the never ending search for scrap fastners. Also agree that they should do away with the ah or give it limited item slots. Player shops would be much less convineant but much more in keeping with the rest of the game.  Going to buy something would become an adventure in itself.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

The levelling curve from 1-12 has been shortened, so I'm sure you'll find yourself moving away from the desert and into the greener areas pretty soon : )

Nice write-up, saw it on the FE forums this morning too.

Will be interested to follow your experiences, hope you'll check in from S2 and S3 as well. 

Don't worry too much about your AP - I've heard of many players falling foul of analysis paralysis when it comes to allocating them. S1, build up your chosen weapon skill (and related stats), plus Armor Use and Dodge, S2 is where mutations come into play, but by then you'll have more of a feel for the system. I'm sure Tobias will have sent you to look at the character planner at http://globaltechplanner.info/

It's a great place to safely play aound with AP allociation and get to grips with the system.

Hope you continue to enjoy your time in the Wasteland!

• rabidkiwirabidkiwi Member UncommonPosts: 44

Im really digging this game.. been here for almost a month now.. i agree with the OP that the S1 is a little dull.. but that wasnt a deal breaker as it brings out the "oh crap the world has turned to sh*t" feel that this kinda game has..

Just made it to S2 and was pleasantly surprised at the change in scenery... looks great, and im starting to feel more like a desert wasteland warrior than just a survivalist..

Glad you are enjoying it too :-)

• krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139

Nice write up. Just a couple of questions: How is ammo making? Is it still the same process as at the release?

• charlionfirecharlionfire Member Posts: 166

Might return myself. Got a couple of questions, if anyone has a few minutes to spare.

My questions should be compared to how the game was at launch.

- Have the engine problems (low fps near towns) been reduced?

- Have the warping of mobs been fixed?

- Is there any point in making a crafting build? (As my old char was going down that road)

- Is the economy sound?

Cheers!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by charlionfire

Might return myself. Got a couple of questions, if anyone has a few minutes to spare.

Don't know what type of system you have, it ran already fine on my old system with a 7950X2 card, but runs even smoother with my new system on a 250GTX card on a quad core rig.

Have seen it a few times months ago.

- Is there any point in making a crafting build? (As my old char was going down that road)

Main toon is full crafter, but you really have to have patience as crafting involves allot of resources, time and exploring to do.

- Is the economy sound?

Yes and No, lots of room to improve it, but regardless working for me, selling lots of items, good thing advanced items take time to craft and many as I have noticed settle for often the basic stuff or sometimes the improved/enhanced stuff.

But,

Because it works and runs fine with me doesn't mean it will be that way for each and every person trying the game.

Cheers!

• flaZhflaZh Member UncommonPosts: 144

I went for the TLDR. I might read if I just get some patience. I just wanted to say welcome back!

I just did the same thing, resubbed to FE. And I continued playing my old level 11 char, and I just dinged 19, having a blast. But I somehow feel I fucked abit up. As I love crafting. I went crafter, pistoleer, rifleman, and some melee. Taking Dex and perception mainly. And endurance 2nd, int 3rd. But we'll see how it goes. Still got my respec ;)

My toon is Silje, please add me! :) Just got to the enforcer guys and gonna take some reputation with'em.

Originally posted by charlionfire

Code has been optimized a bunch since launch, no more CTDs in Embry, higher FPS generally. Mind you, I always run on medium, so that could account for some of it. Running everything maxed would take a beast of a system.

Still happens, though a lot less frequently. They don't warp through buildings anymore, slide around a bit sometimes out in the open though.

There's always a point to a crafter. Best to have them on a rifleman or pistoleer as one of the stats (perception) will overlap nicely. Also so you can craft your own ammo which saves time and chips. Most people have a dedicated crafter alt, or a main that's a hybrid. I'd be the latter. Going full crafter only means maxing one extra stat line with pistol / rifle, for melee it takes two, and thus leaves less room for mutations later.

- Is the economy sound?

Tough question. It is and it isn't. Not to be obtuse, but that ties in to the above. Most people can craft (or have a clannie that can craft) most anything you'd want. Auction house listing prices can be steep, but there's a steady market for omnibus books, ammo, crafting materials, vehicles and lately Serendipity drops (rare mobs that drop unique items, people are looking for crazy prices for these...)

Cheers!

Originally posted by flaZh

I went for the TLDR. I might read if I just get some patience. I just wanted to say welcome back!

I just did the same thing, resubbed to FE. And I continued playing my old level 11 char, and I just dinged 19, having a blast. But I somehow feel I fucked abit up. As I love crafting. I went crafter, pistoleer, rifleman, and some melee. Taking Dex and perception mainly. And endurance 2nd, int 3rd. But we'll see how it goes. Still got my respec ;)

My toon is Silje, please add me! :) Just got to the enforcer guys and gonna take some reputation with'em.

Ouch! I think you'll be using the respec... but don't worry about it. I did something similar pre-respec and ended up re-rolling.

Adding points to all three combat types will hurt later on in the game. Hang on to the respec until you have a feel for how things are later on.

If you're going Enforcer, I'd assume you're doing so for the rifle skills?

Simple build for rifle/crafter: max INT, DEX, PER, ENDU

Skills-wise, max ARMOR USE, DODGE, RIFLE

That leaves you wiggle room for mutations later on. Also room to take Group Tactics / First AId, if you want to.

Mind you, if you're having fun and keep having fun, there's no need at all to subscribe to standard wisdom on builds ; )

The only place it really matters is if you intend to PvP a lot later on.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

lol i have a feeling ill be respeccing too.. But i've only stuck with one attack type, pistols.. So far i've got most my points in Pistol/Athletics/Dodge and i got Armor Use to 21 so i can equip the duster you get after killing that first mutant boss in the mine shaft.. :) but from what i've read i'am suppose to put a lot more into armor use so i'am gonna start puttin points into that..

On a side note i can run this game on full settings perfectly fine.. My computer isn't top of the line anymore, but i did purchase it for like $1,500 a year ago and it's decent.. But the game runs fine, this game and EvE are the only games i can run at full settings w/o any problems.. WoW (which has the worse graphics) and AoC (obviously) were the two worse runnin games for me tbh.. But i do see a lot of people in the help channel complaining of lagging and slowdown but all of em seem to have Quadcore so maybe thats something you should look into before purchaseing the game.. or just try the trial and see if it runs good or not.. But yeah its DEFIANTLY worth checking out; a very niche MMO but if you're lookin for a wasteland survival sandbox MMOFPS then it feels that niche pretty well lol ^_^

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• flaZhflaZh Member UncommonPosts: 144

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

Originally posted by flaZh

Ouch! I think you'll be using the respec... but don't worry about it. I did something similar pre-respec and ended up re-rolling.

Adding points to all three combat types will hurt later on in the game. Hang on to the respec until you have a feel for how things are later on.

If you're going Enforcer, I'd assume you're doing so for the rifle skills?

Simple build for rifle/crafter: max INT, DEX, PER, ENDU

Skills-wise, max ARMOR USE, DODGE, RIFLE

That leaves you wiggle room for mutations later on. Also room to take Group Tactics / First AId, if you want to.

Mind you, if you're having fun and keep having fun, there's no need at all to subscribe to standard wisdom on builds ; )

The only place it really matters is if you intend to PvP a lot later on.

Hehe, yes. I know I made a fool of myself. But I love crafting, and the game is built on crafting. But thanks for advice. I love rifles/pistols. But I'm not really into PvP. I feel it's not gonna be that great in this game. But I might be wrong. I took melee as backup, ammo is very expensive early game, so I needed something else to deal damage.

But now I'm making three different sets of ammo, which also hurts my income. Especially now when I can't farm for f.ex. scrap copper, all nodes are salvage copper. So either I need to go back and farm, or as I do, buy it.

I'm hanging on to the respec, as I know I'm gonna need it. Again thanks for all advice! ;)

Nah, you didn't make a fool out of yourself : ) I put points in melee early on for the same reasons. And strength so I could carry more.

A tip though, if your geo skill is high enough, but the Refine Copper book, and you can salvage salvaged copper back into scrap copper. Same goes for lead (Refine lead). Makes life a lot easier. Salvaging does take 90 seconds but the returns are pretty good.

Once you get ballistics to 120 (I think, thereabouts anyway) and can make economic ammo it all gets a lot smoother. 240 rounds per cook, very sweet.