Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO Adds servers

Oddly for a dieing game (sarcasm), they are adding more servers for the FTP change. IIRCC, LOTRO has never closed a server.

Anyway, now is your chance to help them pick a name. I don't vote for anything I can't pronounce.

----------
"Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Crickhollow seemed like the natural choice from that list, I'm surprised by the ones that are above it, especially Riddermark. I get that a lot of people like Rohan, but to choose a lesser known word for it is surprising the following it has gotten.

• xx19kilosoldxx19kilosold Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Oddly for a dieing game (sarcasm), they are adding more servers for the FTP change. IIRCC, LOTRO has never closed a server.

Anyway, now is your chance to help them pick a name. I don't vote for anything I can't pronounce.

Yea, I guess that adding new servers has nothing to do with the influx of the F2P gamers who will be checking it out and most certainly is the sign of a vibrant thriving game and dispells any thought that even though the game is going F2P it is and always has been healthy! (sarcasm)

And Btw, there are a couple of ghost town servers in the US that should of been merged long ago.

People will spin this in the best possible light they can because they can not face the realities of the "hows and whys" that Lotro has ended up on the same scrap pile as the rest of the F2P fodder.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Some people have been having lag issues with LOTRO since the game launched and im sure the new server(s) are meant to address this when the freebies start coming in. Problem is nobody wants to play on new servers. Most will check to see which ones are most populated and roll on them anyway so I doubt if it helps unless they  limit the options of new players.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• tinywulftinywulf Member Posts: 106

every MMO has failed except WoW according to this websites forum trolls.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Very nice!

DDO opened 2 new servers (was supposed to be only 1 but the demand wsa to big) when going F2P and both servers are now still very active with healthy populations.

I like Crickhollow :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

Oddly for a dieing game (sarcasm)

I must have been away from here for too long as I have always seen LOTRO as very stable and not in the least dying in any way. And before I am labelled as fanboy, I no longer play, but quit the game just after Mirkwood was released.

I am pleased they are opening more servers, this is a good game - just not for me.

T

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Oddly for a dieing game (sarcasm)...

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by xx19kilosold

Yea, I guess that adding new servers has nothing to do with the influx of the F2P gamers who will be checking it out and most certainly is the sign of a vibrant thriving game and dispells any thought that even though the game is going F2P it is and always has been healthy! (sarcasm)

And Btw, there are a couple of ghost town servers in the US that should of been merged long ago.

People will spin this in the best possible light they can because they can not face the realities of the "hows and whys" that Lotro has ended up on the same scrap pile as the rest of the F2P fodder.

And yet people will continue to spin this the worst they can every chance they can.  The game could have 100 servers all with HIGH pop and people would continue to say the game is dieing.  Rolf, some people just can't let go of things.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

If you were giving away money, I'd bet you get a lot of takers.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Spin? I think not, there is nothing to spin because the changes coming down the pipe are completely for the better.

There is nothing negative about the opening of new servers, nor the fact that the game is changing it's payment model to a system similar to that of DDO (which has dramatically improved in both population, playability, and available content ever since the change to it's payment model).

The "F2P fodder" comment is laughable at best. Turbine will gain more customers with the change, just like they did with DDO (and there is plenty of documented proof of that, if you take the time to inform yourself). Why you seem to think otherwise is beyond me, especially when there is easily available evidence that points to the contrary.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Thomas2006

And yet people will continue to spin this the worst they can every chance they can.  The game could have 100 servers all with HIGH pop and people would continue to say the game is dieing.  Rolf, some people just can't let go of things.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

The simple fact of the matter is that anyone who would have been willing to take a chance at subscribing to LotRo has probably already done it and for those that left the game they weren't likely to return no matter what people said and for those that hadn't tried it they weren't likely to do so even if there were major changes in the game design.

However, by going Free to Play a lot of people that might have been okay with the game but not willing to pay for it and many others that weren't curious enough to pay for it will now give the game a try. How many of them that come to try will stick with the game? The retention rate will be fairly low but some will stay as the game is well designed and is a well run game even if it is not what everyone is looking for. 

Some people are saying that this is sign of desperation but actually it is a pretty good marketing move in that they will get additional traffic where as a complete revamp of the product was going to be costly and would have risked alienating the existing players.

The influx of new low level players should make things interesting for a time if nothing else and if the existing players are smart they will go out of their way to help the newbies and make them welcome.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I played DDO for awhile when it first launch.  After seeing what they did when it went to F2P, the game should've been launched the way it is set up now.  I liked the old subscription game, but the new F2P version is so much better.  I'm not sure how lotro can get any better (except for making MP fun again?), but if DDO is any sign, then lotro will be the best (except DAoC, I'm biased lol), since it's already one of the top 5 in my book.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Fact is, LOTRO is the third largest MMO in the west right behind DDO and WOW. Its now poised to be even stronger with with the addition of a F2P option, as well as keeping the P2P. People seem to forget, the game is not going 100% F2P, they are ADDING a free to play option.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Ive seen a lot of spin doctors at work since this LOTRO F2P was announced but I dont think Ive seen it stated that DDO was second only to WOW before.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Lots of "facts" in this thread but so far not a single source.

Some seem like they could be true, but without source its really only talk.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

All statistical evidence proves that Lotro is the only other game besides Eve to have a continual growth since it was released in 07. Currently there are 300k+ active subs so no that isn't why they decided to go with the F2P model. 

----------

How are you?" -Me

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Fact is, LOTRO is the third largest MMO in the west right behind DDO and WOW. Its now poised to be even stronger with with the addition of a F2P option, as well as keeping the P2P. People seem to forget, the game is not going 100% F2P, they are ADDING a free to play option.

How is it a fact that LOTRO is the third largest or that DDO is the second largest?  I'm curious where you get this information, because I suspect there are several games that are indeed larger than both of them, subscriber wise at least.

You may wish to read what I have written, the "In the west" part is not there just to take up space.

LOTRO was never dieing, its been steadily successful title, and now, it will grow even more.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

That's based on some old data (January 2010) from a survey of only 19,000 players. Hardly "facts". Since F2P DDO launched in September last year there probably were a lot of people playing from then till the end of the year. DDO is nowhere near as crowded now as it was back then. Here's the article if anyone cares.

http://www.massively.com/2010/05/13/ddo-jumps-to-third-most-popular-spot-in-mmo-survey/

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

You may wish to read what I have written.

LOTRO was never dieing, its been steadily successful title, and now, it will grow even more.

Your reply wasn't there when I was typing, but I see it now.   Care to share where this survey is at or the numbers it uses, because they look very skeptical to me.  Not that a survey has much credibility compared to actual subscription numbers. 

I honestly doubt that 8% of the mmo market plays on 7 or so DDO servers.  Just for comparison, wow has over 800 servers. 

Based on that same survey, DDO has "doubled" over the course of a year, but at the same time DDO only has half the total number of servers that it released with.

Lets just say the mmo market is 20 million players.  That would make 8% 1.6 million players all living on 7 servers in DDO. 

Sorry, not very convincing.

Originally posted by Daffid011

You may wish to read what I have written.

Your reply wasn't there when I was typing, but I see it now.

Yes it was. You didnt seem to read my original post (that you quoted).

I am sorry you think the NPD group is suspect.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

From the title i thought that LOTRO was going to put advertisement on its servers..i was gonna unsub asap

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Whatever...

Those who claim LOTRO is vibrant and thriving may be going a bit overboard, but it's FAR from a dying Game either...Never has been...The steady amount of new content alone is proof of that...I've played a ton of MMO's...I've never seen a Game give it's Subscribers what LOTRO does in Updates...Many of which are free...

LOTRO's not going to any scrap pile...To claim that is pretty much ignorant at best...image