Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Help Deciding

So Ive been playing WAR for the last year and Im sick of waiting for endgame content so Im deciding on starting a new MMO, and Ive come down to two. Age of Conan and Aion, and honestly I dont know which one to choose. Im currently downloading the unlimited free trial for Age of Conan, but I have found that trials are misleading to conveying the actual population of a game So I just have a couple Of questions

1) What is the actual population of the game? Mainly is it healthy or Dying? and does it have a greater population than Aion or Less, I hear that aion recently went through a massive server merge

2) How does it compare to Aion? I Havent played either and I want and Honest comparision of the games. I want Comparisions Of mainly PvP and Dungeons.

Thanks For the Help

Comments

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

I have played both games and I like them both. I would still be playing AION if they did not ban my account.

I just did the 7 day free trial for AoC, where you can leave tortage. Tortage was ok, but once I got to the other area, whatever it was called, I fell in love with the amazing graphics on max setting.    Awe inspiring landscapes. The game is amazing, the pvp seems to be ok. I didn't like melee so I went caster, which I am starting to get pretty use to now. On the life trial you cannot leave tortage, but on the 7 day trial you can go to the next area, i went to some area for the demonologist story, it was breath taking landscapes and scenary you can travel to all the objects you see in the background, and the map was huge.

Since there are only about 3-4 servers they all seem to have healthy population.

Aion. Well, it is a grind. It does have beautiful animations and graphics, but it gets tiring. You will have to do the same things over and over again as with alot of games, but this one is ten times worse.

The pvp is good, when you can find it, but the fort raids are lag fests. They can be fun at times if there isn't like 200 people that show up and lag the server out. They are adding new stuff to this game all the time. Things are expensive as hell, and it is a gear based game where you will probably have a hard time getting anywhere, because everyone has beaten you to it.

Overall this is a great game, I just have more experience with AION as had a lvl 50 chanter, then with AoC which i was on a trial, and plan to buy the game.

I would still be playing AION, but that is mainly because of all that time and work I put into that character. It is tough grind man, but the game has plenty to offer, and the community seems to be for the most part friendly, but you do have those Huge legions that like to camp the world bosses and try to control the whole server, but I guess that is on most games.

I would recommend either or, but i would imagine you would have an easier time with AoC.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

If you can stand the grind, play Aion.  The graphics are great, flight is fun, etc.  However, in my experience there was nothing in the game besides grind.  I did not find a lot of fun.  The game is very repetitive.  From lvls 42-50 I ran this one dungeon probably 100x.  There are other dungeons to run, but you get a series of quests at 50 that require you to do these dungeons and they are easier at this level so not much point in doing them earlier.  Do not play a melee class.  Ranged classes will pretty much destroy you all the time in aerial pvp.  You will never be able to hit them well.  When your character uses a skill it stops, you lose control, and an animation is performed.  This allows you to get maybe one hit on the ranged individual and while your animation is occurring they quickly move beyond your reach.

I had a good time playing AoC at launch, but the feature I wanted the most, sieges, are still broken.  Furthermore, whenever there is new raid content it always tends to be broken as well.  The combat system was pretty cool.  Classes are still imbalanced (see ranger and sin in particular).  I haven't played in a while, but it also appears that PvP has not been improved much since launch.

If you play more causually I would also recommend AoC over Aion as you will probably feel like you get more out of each hour you put into it.  I was able to get 3 80's in full T2 in AoC faster than I got my one 50 in full fenris in Aion. 

Steam: Neph

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

1) there is a healthy population in AoC on the two servers that I plan on (Cimmeria / Wiccana).  Aion just merged servers so I believe their is a healthy population ratio now in Aion as well. 

2) AoC has slightly better graphics than Aion, but Aion is much easier to run. AoC has collision detection while Aion does not. The pve in AoC is pretty good and leveling is not difficult. Leveling in Aion takes a long, long time (I only made it to level 36).  A level 50 character in Aion is pretty impressive. AoC is a much more casual game. Aion does have fewer bugs. Leveling on a AoC pvp server is pretty brutal. You will get ganked quite a bit. I enjoyed pvp in both games. 

I would suggest doing the free trial for both and see what style you prefer. I liked AoC better, but ymmv. 

• VepgenusVepgenus Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Sordal

So Ive been playing WAR for the last year and Im sick of waiting for endgame content so Im deciding on starting a new MMO, and Ive come down to two. Age of Conan and Aion, and honestly I dont know which one to choose. Im currently downloading the unlimited free trial for Age of Conan, but I have found that trials are misleading to conveying the actual population of a game So I just have a couple Of questions

1) What is the actual population of the game? Mainly is it healthy or Dying? and does it have a greater population than Aion or Less, I hear that aion recently went through a massive server merge

The population has declined to pre-expansion levels, so the population of the game is not healthy, it is slowly declining, There is no comparision in population levels between Aion and AoC, Aion has a far larger community.

2) How does it compare to Aion? I Havent played either and I want and Honest comparision of the games. I want Comparisions Of mainly PvP and Dungeons.

PvP in AoC is broken, Sieges have not worked since launch, and the disparity between the PvP levels of those who farmed Shrines of Bori and those who didn't is ridiculous. Age of Conan is mainly a PvE game now so you shouldn't have any issues with dungeons, PvP though is a joke, with it's four mini game maps, and the constant pre-made teams you'll run into that have the best PvP gear.

Thanks For the Help

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Originally posted by Sordal

Thanks For the Help

1) Main servers that are mostly used are very much alive thanks to a dedicated community, just make sure you pick the one that fits your playstyle (PvP server not recomened for first char..)

Population is unknown, as with many other games, but I think its "pretty known" its around 100k somewhere. Perhaps 130k.

2) I have played AoC since 2008, and I tried Aion in a late beta, and to be honest... Once I realized I needed 100k XP on lvl 10-11, I left the game, since I could not imagine what it was from 49-50. (Thinks its like XX million XP needed)

For me, what counts is the game itself and how I see it in my eyes, not the opinion of everyone else. I say try both games, and play the one you fancy the most, just can`t get any simpler then that can it? :)

• VepgenusVepgenus Member Posts: 398

Also OP once you get into the 80 content, especially Khitai you will find a massive grind for faction points, the expansion has added the Asian grind to the game.

Total pop of AoC is probably 60-75k atm.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Not that I don't believe you, but sources please, else it's just blabbermouthing from the nearest John Doe, unfounded stuff that we've sadly enough seen too much on these mmorpg.com forums: all words, bad argumentations, even worse proof.

So if you have links (not X-Fire, that's only usable at most for trend analysis), feel free to share them.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SordalSordal Member Posts: 23

Thank you guys a lot for the information, I believe I am going to go with Age Of Conan. But I got a couple questions still.

First, I was just reading on the website about how you can gain noteriety and murder status is this only on PvP servers where there is 'widespread pvp' or are there designated area's even on pve servers where you can gank other players ect.

Secondly, For people who are still playing what is the most populated server?

Thanks Again for the help.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

1)  You will not get murder points on a pve server. PvE servers have pvp in "pvp" areas, sieges, and minigames. These areas are all freewill areas. You are warned you are going into a pvp area.

2) For NA, highest pop pvp server is Cimmeria, highest populated pve server is Wiccana by a nose over Set. Both pve servers are pretty well populated. Wiccana is more casual while Set has more raiding.  

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

You should go with whatever is the most fun to you! (Trial is also available for Aion.)

1: Population in AoC is probably 3-4x lower than Aion currently. Not really that important if you choose a well populated server as AoC have a lot of extremely loyal subs.

2: They dont compare - simple as that. They are extremely different and Catlana did describe some of the differences very well.

I was an early AoC adopter. I still hope the game will deliver on most of its potential. Currently (after leaving/rejoining 3 times I am still waiting).

To me Aion was a lot more instant fun (grindy, but VERY easy to make new friends) and the game is just a lot more polished. If you hate grind and polish is unimportant you might be better off with AoC.

I am of course biased: PvP in MMO's are generally potionpopping/geardependant crap. GW is a somewhat level playingfield, FPS shooters such as CounterStrike is all skill (on comparable machines) MMO's such as AoC and Aion is both time+exploits>skill. At least I have had fun with the factionbased PvP in Aion. (I love to see a cry in global: Furbacks HERE... Only to see a swarm of highlevel Elyos zooming in to hunt down the alien ganker image)

Now in both games: Server choice is the most important thing. If you are all for '"You mom..." arguments, both games have servers that support that. In Aion you do risk a ban for that, but in AoC you will be safe on a PvP server... If you are looking for a more mature audience you will be able to find it in both AoC and Aion. (Ok, the US Aion population seems to be somewhat less mature that the Euro or just more whiny. AoC pop on both PvE servers seem quite healthy and mature so its all a matter of choice.)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

AoC: very demanding on your pc, stunningly beautifull graphics, very ditalied in everything, challenging combo system, fatalites, lots of blood/nudity, very  low fantasy art style, very medieval feel to it, random lag spikes, lots of long loading screens, medium size world, grait sound track, easy leveling with some grind at end level.....oh and did i mention the long loading screens?

Aion: less demanding on you pc, characters are well ditailed but enviroment not so much, very easy 1,2,3 combat system, gorgeous combat animation and character/armor modles, manga art style, very high fantasy, lag only in large scale pvp, few short loading screens, small, very linear world (for now), very slow levelling with lots and lots of grind, cool flying combat, nice soundtrack with some weird sound effects...... oh and did i mention the grind?

they both have free trials so try them both and see for yourself.  i'v played both but just coudn't hack Aion's grind for absolutely everything so i went with AoC since i can play that pretty casually.

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483

Originally posted by cyphers

Not that I don't believe you, but sources please, else it's just blabbermouthing from the nearest John Doe, unfounded stuff that we've sadly enough seen too much on these mmorpg.com forums: all words, bad argumentations, even worse proof.

So if you have links (not X-Fire, that's only usable at most for trend analysis), feel free to share them.

I have to agree. just spewing out  numbers like that reminds me of some peeps that used to frequent this forum. Pretending to be informative, but only trying to dis a game that had disapointed them in some way or another.

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop