Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planes of Telara & jumping

KnuppsKnupps Member Posts: 46

Hey,

is it possible to jump/swim in this game?

Because this is the only thing I'm worried about - checked out several gameplay videos but couldn't answere this question yet.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Good question. I hope so...

A lot of people have no problem with the lack of jumping/swimming, but I think it makes it more realistic most of the time. Maybe not when people are doing the bunny hop like they do in WoW, constantly, but if I want to jump right now, I can do it. In FFXI and GW, you can't and it drives me batty.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I would guess so. 

No offense meant to the OP but I sure hope not.  I can't imagine a better way to increase the age and the maturity by removing jumping.  There is nothing that I find that makes me want to log off more than watching ADHD children hopping across the screen with their fingers stuck on the jump button.  FF14 is doing it right with no jumping.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I always jumped on my NE when running a distance just so I could see the flip. I think jumping should be in every game.

• Sluagh_LordSluagh_Lord Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Zippy

I would guess so. 

No offense meant to the OP but I sure hope not.  I can't imagine a better way to increase the age and the maturity by removing jumping.  There is nothing that I find that makes me want to log off more than watching ADHD children hopping across the screen with their fingers stuck on the jump button.  FF14 is doing it right with no jumping.

Yeah, because having your feet stuck to the ground and being unable to jump ledges or obstacles add so much to the game. In your world, would you prefer mounts be fastened to the ground too? Flying, then must obviously be limited to flight paths as well. Freedom of movement adds so much to the enjoyment of a persistant world and people who want to take several steps backwards because they can't handle "bunny hoppers" make no sense to me.

• Novic2Novic2 Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by Knupps

Hey,

is it possible to jump/swim in this game?

Because this is the only thing I'm worried about - checked out several gameplay videos but couldn't answere this question yet.

Thanks in advance

How about jumping WHILE swimming? OMFG THAT WOULD BE AWSUM WTFBBQROFL!

• jbgunzjbgunz Member UncommonPosts: 27

lol...remove jumping from a game. Thats the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Please for the love of god leave your final fantasy crap at the door, Rift isint inviting those ludicris ideas in. Nuff said thanks..

• jbgunzjbgunz Member UncommonPosts: 27

Sorry to be blunt, but Se has def not gotten things right or they would be kings at this particular genre. Removing a basic movemnet function from a game, in my eyes is a step back. What purpose does this really serve? I'm playing Finaly Fantasy 14 and come to a pit with spikes at the bottom.....so...uh..what do we do guys? lol see ridiculas. Anyways im done.

• popsicledeathpopsicledeath Member Posts: 108

One of their videos (E3 demo I think) has gameplay footage in the background with the character jumping.

The thing to be concerned about is that the jump animation is trrble.

According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

I would guess so. 

Okay Ill go with you on the NO jumping thing but you must allow me to slide down a 3 ft rock face to get down... I cant tell you how many times ive been stand in FFXI  and im like wtf i know I can survive this let me fall LOL but instead you must run around 5 miles to get around this little hill. and now in FFXIV im sure it will be the same way a little rock will force me to run around in circles.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by sly220

I would guess so. 

Okay Ill go with you on the NO jumping thing but you must allow me to slide down a 3 ft rock face to get down... I cant tell you how many times ive been stand in FFXI  and im like wtf i know I can survive this let me fall LOL but instead you must run around 5 miles to get around this little hill. and now in FFXIV im sure it will be the same way a little rock will force me to run around in circles.

A simple solution would be to make jumping use endurance so that a player can only jump once or twice before running out.  This way we will not be subjected to seeing annoying children hopping across our screens all day long.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

not being able to jump in a MMORPG is stupid.  were the devs to lazy to make a jump feature?  i think jumping makes combat way more fun.

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

I think both will be in the game, reason is that there will be a Water Rift in the game (as it is an planar and elemental invasion).

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

I would guess so. 

Never understood it why some get pissed off when others jump. Makes no sense to me. Does it bother you when peoples /dance or /(random emote) too?

I get pissed off too when kids run. Such an unadult way of playing a game. I say we remove running from every game because it bothers me. Everybody should walk slowly, like a proper adult.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I would guess so. 

I'm a 52 year old who enjoys jumping in MMORPG's. While I wouldn't discard a game that didn't have it, it certainly is a negative aspect if it's not available.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I like how jumping is done in Oblvion,

It's not really useful for combat but it's useful for jumping when it's needed.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Yes there's jumping.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Jumping is a must for me. For all the complaints I here about bunny hopping it doesn't bother me at all. If that's how you have fun in the time you've paid for more power to you. It doesn't interfere with my ability to play or have fun.

Steam: Neph

• MariouzMariouz Member Posts: 186

It does not mater to me either way, no jumping in game fine, jumping and swiming in game fine, it does get annoying to see some people jump all over the place, but in jumping games I have done it myself hehe.

Anyhow how can they remove a feature in the SE FF games when it was never implemented in the first place? Instead you should of said they never implemented it and that you dont like that they did not implemented it.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

YOU CAN JUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, let's all hug :)

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I would guess so. 

There are ways to easily eliminate bunny hopping without having to remove jumping altogether. Put a timer on jumping so people can only do it every 3 seconds or as you mentioned, use endurance. Not being able to jump over obstacles is a game breaker for me in all but the most extreme cases. A game would have to be pretty damn amazing on all other fronts for me to ignore the fact that I can jump over a rock.

Joined - July 2004

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Not having and immersive feature such as jumping because some people can't handle other jumping around them is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. FFXIV is not doing it right, but jumping is the least of their concerns right now, judging by how well it's being received.

Really can't wait for this game. It seems to have everything i'm looking for.

• charlionfirecharlionfire Member Posts: 166

In Aion, not being able to swim made me feel constrained, and not being able to jump would feel worse. However, I suppose you could get used to it. (Just as getting used to not being able to fly or glide...)

• PetoPeto Member Posts: 12

Yes, you can swim in this game. You can also swim underwater. Source is here

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?1137-Rift-Feature-Guide-Expanded

search for 'swim'

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Both jumping and swimming is essential for me in a MMO, and I consider both to be necessary for me to feel like I am not being artificially locked down to save the devs work. I was looking seriously at FFXIV until I saw that they were just ignoring that real people can swim and jump, and ofc the eye gougingly slow looking combat.

I am really glad Rift isnt taking the cheap route of just ignoring both of these important aspects and it has made a real difference to which of the games I choose to invest in. Me and the GF are actually just gonna stick with EQ2 until Rift gets here now.

• ElirionElirion Member Posts: 160

I agree.  Not being able to jump and swim while wearing full plate armor and carrying a battle axe is soooooooooo unrealistic.