Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just how long has this game been in development?

WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I remember hearing about this game like 2-3 maybe 4 years ago, and it still hasn't come out? Not even some kind of beta/testing phases?

Checked the site and googled around...no discussion forums, no gameplay trailers/teasers or anything beyond a few screenshots (that show absolutely nothing beyond environment) , just the "we're working on it we'll tell you more later."

And where exactly are the dev's getting their money to continue production on this game? Have they not gone over budget by this point? Looking at the site I can't even figure out who these people are behind the game, which is ridiculously unprofessional.

Sounds like vaporware to me, especially considering the number of mmo's that have been fully developed and released since this was even announced.

Comments

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

You seem confused and confrontational, but I'll try to be patient. 

We are an independant software developer, not a publisher.  We have been completely up front from day one about the game.  From the beginning we told people that we were in the very early stages of game development, and we've done everything we can to keep people informed as to the development progress.  The amount of time it takes to make an MMO lilke Citadel of Sorcery is not an exact science, nor is it something we will allow to be hurried becasue someone thinks we're taking too long.

When we release the game is our business.  How long we take to make the game is also our business.  Where we get the financing to make the game is again, our business. 

You seem concerned that you cannot figure out who is maknig the game... yet we've already told you, MMO Magic, Inc. is making the game and as previously stated we are an independant software developer.  Why do you beleive it is unprofessional to be an independant software developer?

As for your 'vaporware' comment, your opinion is your own and will not affect the progress or release date of this game in the slightest.  It's always interesting when someone complains about something that has cost them nothing.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Originally posted by Jatar

We are an independant software developer, not a publisher.  We have been completely up front from day one about the game.  From the beginning we told people that we were in the very early stages of game development, and we've done everything we can to keep people informed as to the development progress.  The amount of time it takes to make an MMO lilke Citadel of Sorcery is not an exact science, nor is it something we will allow to be hurried becasue someone thinks we're taking too long.

Very early stages..for what 2-3 years now? You can't honestly expect people to believe that theirs work even being done at this point. You've shown nothing but screenshots of character models and environments, neither of which can show any sort of game features. How are people suppose to believe you've done anything when you've shown absolutely nothing?

When we release the game is our business.  How long we take to make the game is also our business.  Where we get the financing to make the game is again, our business. 

Indeed, and I figured i'd get this sort of response. Are people even being paid to make this game? Is there even any sort of staff? Or is this some group of recent college graduates trying to make a game?

You seem concerned that you cannot figure out who is maknig the game... yet we've already told you, MMO Magic, Inc. is making the game and as previously stated we are an independant software developer.  Why do you beleive it is unprofessional to be an independant software developer?

Googling MMO Magic brings me right back to the CoS website, which tells me nothing about them. Even if they are considered independant developers, its practically standard to have a seperate buisness site for your own company, at least if you want to be taken seriously, and I don't know a single company, independant or otherwise, that doesn't have some backround information on who's in charge/developing their games, and a method of contacting those people.

As for your 'vaporware' comment, your opinion is your own and will not affect the progress or release date of this game in the slightest.  It's always interesting when someone complains about something that has cost them nothing.

And again, you've shown nothing to honestly prove their is an actual working game thats made progress for the past years. Screenshots just don't cut it.

And another question arises..I assume your some sort of mod for the game? Why is feature information being posted outside of your own website, and on public discussion board?

After 2-3 years of supposed development, how does the game not have it's own discussion board site?

And you wonder why I think this company is unprofessional?

• BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

Wow, just another juvenile attack by someone who knows nothing about game developers or making an MMORPG.   The dev gave a reasonable response, and of course the guy just acts like a kid yet again and attacks them, typical.  This guy isn’t worth a response, what a waste of time reading his ‘logic’.

What in the world makes this guy think he has some ‘right’ to know anything?  What has he done to earn that right?  Has he paid them?  Nope, just another useless guy who thinks the world owes him a living spouting off about things he doesn't understand like he's some authority on game development.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by Bookkeeper

Wow, just another juvenile attack by someone who knows nothing about game developers or making an MMORPG.   The dev gave a reasonable response, and of course the guy just acts like a kid yet again and attacks them, typical.  This guy isn’t worth a response, what a waste of time reading his ‘logic’.

What in the world makes this guy think he has some ‘right’ to know anything?  What has he done to earn that right?  Have he paid them?  Nope, just another useless guy who thinks the world owes him a living spouting off about things he doesn't understand like he's some authority on game development.

Agreed, The OP seems of the type "I want it, and I want it now" The Dev was kind enough to post yet the OP shows a certain immaturity in his continued attack on a game/company he's not spent a dime.

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

It's cool, we have thick enough skin.  There are always people who feel they need to attack things on fourms.  I guess they just don't have anything better to do with their time.  We certainly do, so I'm done with this thread.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

You're completely right, of course, even if your tone doesn't exactly scream professional to me either. However, I have a simple observation that might have helped you at one point had you taken time to think sensibly. Don't advertise or talk about something until you have something to talk about and show, especially 2 or 3 years before you have anything substantial to show and talk about. Of course, other companies decided not to follow this simple wisdom, like Aventurine with Darkfall, and we all know how THAT helped their community and PR pre-release. You'll save yourself these types of threads on your next game, assuming you'll even have a first game, if you follow this simple advice in the future.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

How is someone going to find investors or a publisher if they wait till the last minute to advertise the project?

This is why indies advertise early, but for the triple-A's, it's to hypemonger. Either way, it's always the smart move, save for people like the OP and their entitlement issues.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by GTwander

How is someone going to find investors or a publisher if they wait till the last minute to advertise the project?

This is why indies advertise early, but for the triple-A's, it's to hypemonger. Either way, it's always the smart move, save for people like the OP and their entitlement issues.

Finding an investor doesn't require advertising  a game before there ever IS a game. Big companies, like say Bioware, getting people pumped for their games years before they make/release them is fine because they are likely not going to ever have a problem releasing them and they already have millions of people who KNOW this.

An indy doesn't have that luxury.

As far as investors, there's everything from dev.net to private venture capitalists, very few of which are looking at major gaming sites like this one for indy startups. Fans and potential customers come to sites like this to find out about games, not to fund their development through investment.

Anyway, I wish the devs well and hope they do release a good game. As always, everything I say is just my opinion.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by GTwander

Finding an investor doesn't require advertising  a game before there ever IS a game. Big companies, like say Bioware, getting people pumped for their games years before they make/release them is fine because they are likely not going to ever have a problem releasing them and they already have millions of people who KNOW this.

An indy doesn't have that luxury.

As far as investors, there's everything from dev.net to private venture capitalists, very few of which are looking at major gaming sites like this one for indy startups. Fans and potential customers come to sites like this to find out about games, not to fund their development through investment.

Anyway, I wish the devs well and hope they do release a good game. As always, everything I say is just my opinion.

Investors follow hype, and hype follows early adverts.

Nuff said.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

It's cool, we have thick enough skin.  There are always people who feel they need to attack things on fourms.  I guess they just don't have anything better to do with their time.  We certainly do, so I'm done with this thread.

So basically you've got nothing, as i've said?

And again, why is this company practically using mmorpg.com as it's personal twitter or something? Any game that is honestly in development has it's own discussion board for this type of thing, something which literally takes 2-3 hours at max to set up and provides an honest, professional way of talking to players about the game.

By the way i've been trying to find a way to contact MMO Magic, but once again I cant seem to find any link at all to an email seperate from CoS or perhaps a phone number.

Perhaps your willing to provide me both or either (preferably a phone number), being the represenative for them?

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

And again, why is this company practically using mmorpg.com as it's personal twitter or something? Any game that is honestly in development has it's own discussion board for this type of thing, something which literally takes 2-3 hours at max to set up and provides an honest, professional way of talking to players about the game.

By the way i've been trying to find a way to contact MMO Magic, but once again I cant seem to find any link at all to an email seperate from CoS or perhaps a phone number.

Perhaps your willing to provide me both or either (preferably a phone number), being the represenative for them?

Why in the world would the devs want to talk to you at this or any point?  What do you think they have to prove to you?  (Most people would know the answer to this, but just in case you don't understand the answer is: nothing).    It's obvious that you have no idea what it takes to make a game, or work at a developer, you just think the world owes you something for nothing, and worse, you think your opinion on this matters.  MMORPG decides what games they want to list, and they choose to list this  game.   You don't own this site, and you don't even have to read about this game, you choose to come here and post juvenile attacks.  You want a phone number here's one for you: 1 800 get help.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Wolfen, MMO Magic use this forumn to help people discuss ideas and respond with respect to COS seems you do not appear to have grasped the concept. Coming in here and being nothing short of an aggresive nobody is so poor and amusing at the same time.

To get something back here you need to contribute and to be honest you have not done that or shown any real interest in the game. All you seem to have done is demand information from a game which is in a deelopment cycle. Which does not warrant them setting up public forumns until they see fit. The approach has been stated but you seem to be demanding information that you will never be privy to or even deserve.

Jatar is pretty damn good and to be honest has dealt with you in the manner beffitting , he just wiped you off of his shoe and you persist in trying again. You have had your response now go be nasty and aggressive somewhere else.

• Or you could continue to skulk here making a fool of yourself.

• Lets see a Dev of the game or an aggressive attack by a nobody....

As you notice nothing about the game here , it must be all about you how grand.

Originally posted by Isane

Wolfen, MMO Magic use this forumn to help people discuss ideas and respond with respect to COS seems you do not appear to have grasped the concept. Coming in here and being nothing short of an aggresive nobody is so poor and amusing at the same time.

To get something back here you need to contribute and to be honest you have not done that or shown any real interest in the game. All you seem to have done is demand information from a game which is in a deelopment cycle. Which does not warrant them setting up public forumns until they see fit. The approach has been stated but you seem to be demanding information that you will never be privy to or even deserve.

Jatar is pretty damn good and to be honest has dealt with you in the manner beffitting , he just wiped you off of his shoe and you persist in trying again. You have had your response now go be nasty and aggressive somewhere else.

• Or you could continue to skulk here making a fool of yourself.

• Lets see a Dev of the game or an aggressive attack by a nobody....

As you notice nothing about the game here , it must be all about you how grand.

And who are you again?

All im asking for is basic information/contact info every developer makes available right from the get go.

You can't even confirm that MMO Magic even exists as an actual company, absolutely zero references from anywhere and theres literally almost nothing about them on their own site. Even Indie Companies have this sort of information available, Ace Team, 2D Boy, Flying Lab Softwares being recent examples. Contact Info, Headquarters location, Goals, even a mention of who the Founders are, this is all basic information that at least confirms a company exists to begin with and is serious about their work, and MMO Magic has none of that available.

Not only that, but they have absolutely nothing to show that a real working game exists and that they've done any work with it. I've read through those several of their little diary updates about all these great features they've supposedly got working so far, and again absolutely nothing to confirm it with short of pretty words.

These developers have gone 2-3 years like this, they are unbelievably pathetic, especially when their only represenative  seems to spend his time lurking mmorpg.com and answering disgruntled criticism with a snobby attitude. Doesn't sound like something anyone would pay you to do.

Completely unprofessional.

And before you say it, yes I can get away with a rude attitude, because I'm not representing a company and their game.

The OP is the one being rude, by his own admission, but where he is wrong is that it is not acceptable, no matter who you are.  It's clear you have a bee in your bonet for no apparent reason, and are attacking this developer to no point.  They have not taken your money, nor asked you to do anything.  You are simply here to be rude.  Go away.

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

MMO Magic doesn't need to publish anything, if they don't want to. They use these forums to gather inspiration from possible players and release info, when they see fit.

And 3 years? Oh c'mon... CCP announced EvE Online being developed 6 years before they went live. Blizzard announced WoW aswell some 5 years before it was released and StarCraft 2 was announced a whole 9 years before it get's relesed now.

It's your kind, that pushes developers and the reason for so many half-finished MMOs being released lately. You need to be way more patient tbh.

Originally posted by Bookkeeper

The OP is the one being rude, by his own admission, but where he is wrong is that it is not acceptable, no matter who you are.  It's clear you have a bee in your bonet for no apparent reason, and are attacking this developer to no point.  They have not taken your money, nor asked you to do anything.  You are simply here to be rude.  Go away.

Originally posted by jrs77

MMO Magic doesn't need to publish anything, if they don't want to. They use these forums to gather inspiration from possible players and release info, when they see fit.

And 3 years? Oh c'mon... CCP announced EvE Online being developed 6 years before they went live. Blizzard announced WoW aswell some 5 years before it was released and StarCraft 2 was announced a whole 9 years before it get's relesed now.

It's your kind, that pushes developers and the reason for so many half-finished MMOs being released lately. You need to be way more patient tbh.

The difference with your examples is they were able to actually show they had a game even during development, and the dev's behind it attended several professional interviews on the state of development.

The only thing you can actually see about CoS are some old screenshots they've had since the game was announced, and even that is barely passing. Heck I can open the NWN2 module utility and wip up an environment with a building and screenshot it to. All these features they've supposedly completed at this point have yet to be shown, not even through screenshots.

They can take as long as they want to complete the game, the problem is they've shown nothing of what they've done in all this time, if anything been done at all.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

They're not accountable to you, me, or anyone else.  We have not given them a dime so why would they owe us something?  It's not like they're taking preorders, why should they prove to you what they've been working on?  They'll do so when they are ready.

Steam: Neph

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

You seem far more confused and confrontational that the OP here.

You give a list of what is your "business", and I notice that nowhere in that list is pleasing the customer.  Yet you take the time to criticize someone who was obviously anxious to see what you were working on.  Do you really think that being a complete dick to potential players is a good plan?

If this guy is in any way representative of the team behind this game, I doubt it will ever see the light of day, and if by some miracle it does, I doubt anyone will play it.

Originally posted by madeux

You give a list of what is your "business", and I notice that nowhere in that list is pleasing the customer.  Yet you take the time to criticize someone who was obviously anxious to see what you were working on.  Do you really think that being a complete dick to potential players is a good plan?

If this guy is in any way representative of the team behind this game, I doubt it will ever see the light of day, and if by some miracle it does, I doubt anyone will play it.

Customers pay companies money.  No one has paid them anything yet (except perhaps investors and that is not the topic at hand).  Therefore, they do not have to please anyone.  Personally I think he handled the OP's post quite well.  The OP is demanding proof of work from a company that doesn't even owe him the time of day.  The OP does not come across, to me, as someone who is "anxious to see what they are working on."  To me, he comes across as whiny and demanding.  They could be sitting around their offices all day and spinning around in chairs, it's their business and they can do what they want.  At least untill they have paying customers to be accountable to.  Even then, they can still do what they want and either stay in business or go out of business due to the ramifications.  Not to mention the fact that while this representative is not posting screenshots he has been quite forthcoming in answering community questions.  Especially if those questions are framed as questions not demands and accusations against the company.

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

The difference with your examples is they were able to actually show they had a game even during development, and the dev's behind it attended several professional interviews on the state of development.
    The only thing you can actually see about CoS are some old screenshots they've had since the game was announced, and even that is barely passing. Heck I can open the NWN2 module utility and wip up an environment with a building and screenshot it to. All these features they've supposedly completed at this point have yet to be shown, not even through screenshots.

They can take as long as they want to complete the game, the problem is they've shown nothing of what they've done in all this time, if anything been done at all.

The first ingame-footage of EvE Online was shown 4 years after they've announced the game. Til this point CCP did also show nothing else then some concept-art and screenshots. So I don't see anything different there actually.

Or look at Earthrise, which was announced in 2005 the first time. They're in closed beta atm (yes it really is!) and you won't find any ingame-footage, other then 2 videos from over a year ago and alot of screenshots inbetween.

It's totally up to the developer, how fast they're going, or what material they're releasing to the public.
    You sure can ask about information, but the response you allready got from MMO Magic is the best you can actually hope for.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Originally posted by Nephaerius

Originally posted by madeux

Customers pay companies money.  No one has paid them anything yet (except perhaps investors and that is not the topic at hand).  Therefore, they do not have to please anyone.  Personally I think he handled the OP's post quite well.  The OP is demanding proof of work from a company that doesn't even owe him the time of day.  The OP does not come across, to me, as someone who is "anxious to see what they are working on."  To me, he comes across as whiny and demanding.  They could be sitting around their offices all day and spinning around in chairs, it's their business and they can do what they want.  At least untill they have paying customers to be accountable to.  Even then, they can still do what they want and either stay in business or go out of business due to the ramifications.  Not to mention the fact that while this representative is not posting screenshots he has been quite forthcoming in answering community questions.  Especially if those questions are framed as questions not demands and accusations against the company.

pissing off customers before they have a chance to give them money is just stupid.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

but unless you are an investor, why does it matter?

I'm not 100% clear on what it takes to get a game listed on this site but as long as they have met the requirements it seems that these forums are here to discuss things as they come up.

They are not compelled to list their funding to anyone. Heck, one of the owners of the company might be spectacularly rich and that is how they are funded.

If anything (and my opinion) they probably shouldn't have let their game be known at all because at some point someone is going to say "hey, where is it".

I can only imagine that they made the game known so that at times they could discuss things here and there.

Other than keeping the game in the public eye for marketing purposes (which it seems they are just not there yet) all they have to do is to chug along. Perhaps bringing ideas to the gaming public from time to time to get opinions.

And if for some horrible reason they never finish the game then that's that. let's hope they do as we need more indie game devs finishing these things.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

The first ingame-footage of EvE Online was shown 4 years after they've announced the game. Til this point CCP did also show nothing else then some concept-art and screenshots. So I don't see anything different there actually.

Or look at Earthrise, which was announced in 2005 the first time. They're in closed beta atm (yes it really is!) and you won't find any ingame-footage, other then 2 videos from over a year ago and alot of screenshots inbetween.

It's totally up to the developer, how fast they're going, or what material they're releasing to the public.

You sure can ask about information, but the response you allready got from MMO Magic is the best you can actually hope for.

CCP had been through plenty of interviews to actually discuss and publicize Eve, as for screenshots it's a piss poor way of showing off the game, but at least it was something. Again, CoS has not updated their screenshots to show off actual development in the game. Theirs just incredibly old environmental shots, and a holiday set of character models standing in a line. Again, work that can be done in literally a few hours. I'm almost tempted to reproduce some of their screenshots with NWN2 just for lol's sake.

Same with Earthrise, the developers have actually gone out attended interviews and have serious discussions about the game with serious reviewers well within a year of development apparently if it was announced in 2005.

Not to mention their is actual credibility in the development teams you mentioned because their is actual information about them out on the web. Again, MMO Magic has zero info about themselves beyond the fact theirs some dudes somewhere making the game.

pissing off customers before they have a chance to give them money is just stupid.

Perhaps they don't want that poster as a customer.  If I was going to be a member of this game's community I would consider that a wise choice.  Or would you prefer they take his money and then piss him off?  I would actually have much more of a problem with that. 

On the same vein, why show an incomplete game or get people hyped for things that may not make it into the title?  I'm assuming you follow MMOs to some degree so I do not need to post the laundry list of titles that went wrong there.

In another vein, I know many creative individuals that do not like to share their products before they are complete (songs, books, films, paintings, etc.).  Games are not necessarily art, but the unfinished product is generally inferior to the polished final one. This company will have to put up or shut up when they start asking people to pay for a product.  Until then it's their time and their or their investor's money and they are not accountable to anyone else.