Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Sand do you Want to See Added?

NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Ok, the biggest complaint I see about this game is that there are not enough tools/sand in the sandbox to have fun.  Personally I've only played the trial (kinda strapped for cash right now or I'd purchase), but it was a blast.  Probably the most excitement I've experienced playing an MMO since my first.   So I'm curious to hear, especially from longer term players, what you want to see added to the game sand wise.  By the same token what do you feel is missing from the game?  I'm not getting at issues with stat caps here and tweaks to systems, but actual features you would like to see added to the game that are currently not present.

Steam: Neph

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

The list is pretty long, will try to keep it short.

-Incentive for Clans to go RAC (Racial Alliance Clan) rather than ARAC (All Racial Alliance Clan).

-More Racial Conflict, to add a new layer to the PvP.

-Changes to the alignement system, so that it cannot be farmed back into the positive using an alt character for 5 minutes.

-Deeper crafting system.

-More meaning in the skill specializations.

-More incentive to capture Villages. Usually you'll hardly ever meet any players when capturing a Village.

-More Incentive for clans to sieges other cities, the mines are just not enough as an incentive, especially since Rare Ore now drops from normal nodes.

-Addition of a Trade Hub where players can trade (not an Auction House).

-A lot of changes from Zaffa's list (Changes to the travel system)

And the list goes on and on.

• D00mSay3rD00mSay3r Member Posts: 11

A complete UI overhaul would be nice. The whole interface and inventory system is pretty bad. I actually know people who will not play DF because of that only.  Thats not really sand though. More housing options would be cool as a sand element.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Sand?

Well, personally I think they should start with a complete and utter revamp of the terrible crafting system. I mean take the whole thing out and maybe even go to the extent of hiring developers who never knew how the original system worked. From there, they could expand on creating a better economy. Creating a better economy would take a little more forethought and would more likely cause a bunch of the 'vets' to ragequit, but in the long run it would be better for everyone.  As I see it, this is one of the absolute major factors of the game that keep it from being a sandbox. For a sandbox to work, you need a living breathing world, and without a better crafting & economy, you just simply don't have a living breathing world. You have what Darkfall is today, the worst FPS on the market. 

Second, skill degredation or another system that would allow for the general player to play. As with all games, the hardcore 20hrs a day players should still have an advantage because that's what MMOs are about, but not to the point where they are at now. If I don't want to go into magic, or I don't want to use a 2h weapon, I shouldn't be punished because I don't like it. From what I've been reading, they are actually trying to fix this but just aren't there yet. 

Third and least important of what I think should be added, is better PVE. Fun to play dungeons with gear (or rare crafting mats) would be nice. In a game like this, it's not that important, but still pretty important. If you think that rare gear and highly coveted items are bad in a Full Loot PVP based game, just remember that EVE has a shitload of items like that and are a great addition to the game. 

I also agree with Doomsayer. The UI is too much like EVE's UI imho and it just doesn't work in a Fantasy/Medieval MMO. But, that's not sand. :)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by D00mSay3r

A complete UI overhaul would be nice. The whole interface and inventory system is pretty bad. I actually know people who will not play DF because of that only.  Thats not really sand though. More housing options would be cool as a sand element.

An overhaul isn't needed unless you want things like auto looting and having 1 key preforman 3 actions in game. 

On topic

1) War dec system change. Only change needed is for 2 levels of war to exist mutual and non-mutual. The only difference between the two is tower activation. Mutual war decs activate the towers. To get a mutual war the other clan war decs back or a siege is dropped. 

2) NPC driven RvR to giver alignment meaning

3) Alignment tweaks similar to my suggestion thread

4) Localized resources and regional banks

5) Faster ways to travel, but none of them instant and the removal of portal shards

6) More synergy between the crafting professions

7) more political options for clans and alliances 

8) Trade boards 

9) Clan "quest" boards

Basically things that are in my suggestions 2.0 page and few other things that I haven't added yet but will be adding "soon"

@ hatter Have you played since the PvP balances were culminated a patch ago? If not then please try it again. Vets do not have the advantage you are saying they do. Furthermore, AV is adding more op-in restriction options in the form of prestige classes and more specialization. Supposedly there is suppose to be over 100 combinations 

1) War dec system change. Only change needed is for 2 levels of war to exist mutual and non-mutual. The only difference between the two is tower activation. Mutual war decs activate the towers. To get a mutual war the other clan war decs back or a siege is dropped. 

2) NPC driven RvR to giver alignment meaning

3) Alignment tweaks similar to my suggestion thread

4) Localized resources and regional banks

5) Faster ways to travel, but none of them instant and the removal of portal shards

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

-Incentive for Clans to go RAC (Racial Alliance Clan) rather than ARAC (All Racial Alliance Clan).

-Changes to the alignement system, so that it cannot be farmed back into the positive using an alt character for 5 minutes.

-Deeper crafting system.

-More incentive to capture Villages. Usually you'll hardly ever meet any players when capturing a Village.

-More Incentive for clans to sieges other cities, the mines are just not enough as an incentive, especially since Rare Ore now drops from normal nodes.

Best list I have seen.  Agreee on all points.

Also, the UI has nothing to doe with sand in the box.  But the chat and clan interfaces need an overhaul.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

-Deeper crafting system.

Some of these changes promote less sandbox.

- ARAC means sandbox, the freedom  of any player to join any clan despite of his race choice is sandbox. Artificial barriers coming with having choosen another race then my roommate and hinder me to to play with him is less freedom and less of a sandbox.

- More penalties through a artificial alignment systems means less sandbox. The request for more sandbox should be : 'do away with any alignment system and let players themselves govern every conflict'

Other then that list is ok except i dunno Zaffa's list. 

Some points of mine :

- wandering mobs that build their own settlements and get extincted if hunted to much in an area. 

- no item should drop of a mob as loot ready to use, all drops should be at best a component while needing a crafter for a ready item plus all items should be crafted (also goes against the rare drops required for the current housing for example)

- more clan tools (tabards, guidon etc.)

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

- ARAC means sandbox, the freedom  of any player to join any clan despite of his race choice is sandbox. Artificial barriers coming with having choosen another race then my roommate and hinder me to to play with him is less freedom and less of a sandbox.

- More penalties through a artificial alignment systems means less sandbox. The request for more sandbox should be : 'do away with any alignment system and let players themselves govern every conflict'

Some points of mine :

- wandering mobs that build their own settlements and get extincted if hunted to much in an area. 

- no item should drop of a mob as loot ready to use, all drops should be at best a component while needing a crafter for a ready item plus all items should be crafted (also goes against the rare drops required for the current housing for example)

Re-read. I said more Incentive to go RAC. I didn't say to render ARAC useless.  In my opinion if there were more RAC Clans, we'd see A LOT more PvP going on, clans defending New Players rather than leaving NEW handle everything, etc.

Fixing the alignement system doesn't remove Freedom. It creates meanings in the choices you make. In exchange though, changes must be made to make living off of a Chaos City more viable. Or promote ways for players to create their own little hideout, etc.... I lose the count on how many spots I've found could make the ideal hideout....yet can't use them.

As for your point, I agree on Clan Tools, we definitively lack those and as I suggested somewhere else, Flags could be used by Clans to hold their "Crest", use to create the limits to their territory and such (Flags have a lot of potential in my opinion).

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Some points of mine :

Re-read. I said more Incentive to go RAC. I didn't say to render ARAC useless.  In my opinion if there were more RAC Clans, we'd see A LOT more PvP going on, clans defending New Players rather than leaving NEW handle everything, etc.

Fixing the alignement system doesn't remove Freedom. It creates meanings in the choices you make. In exchange though, changes must be made to make living off of a Chaos City more viable. Or promote ways for players to create their own little hideout, etc.... I lose the count on how many spots I've found could make the ideal hideout....yet can't use them.

As for your point, I agree on Clan Tools, we definitively lack those and as I suggested somewhere else, Flags could be used by Clans to hold their "Crest", use to create the limits to their territory and such (Flags have a lot of potential in my opinion).

ok having misread and interpreted your first point as ANTI-ARAC, thanks for clarification.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

The main thing that keeps me from playing DFO is the lack of being able to specialize into a certain combat. I absolute detest the "magic" in that game, and would much prefer to spec in shooting arrows or smashing things in the head with an axe, but I found that if you weren't a total hybrid you wound up gimping yourself terribly.

Thats my #1 complaint.

Other then that, more content, all of what MadnessRealm stated and then some.

• ChinaCatChinaCat Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by Splinki

The main thing that keeps me from playing DFO is the lack of being able to specialize into a certain combat. I absolute detest the "magic" in that game, and would much prefer to spec in shooting arrows or smashing things in the head with an axe, but I found that if you weren't a total hybrid you wound up gimping yourself terribly.

Thats my #1 complaint.

If you're not aware of this, scroll down to the Melee & Archery Section from the December expansion.  http://www.darkfallonline.com/expansion/1209.html

Further specializations via 'Prestige Classes" are in the works.

-CC

"Lately it occurs to me,
    what a long, strange trip it's been". -Hunter

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Originally posted by ChinaCat

Thats my #1 complaint.

If you're not aware of this, scroll down to the Melee & Archery Section from the December expansion.  http://www.darkfallonline.com/expansion/1209.html

-CC

Thanks. Wasn't aware of that. I haven't kept tabs on the game in so long, because I didn't think they'd change that.

Thats my #1 complaint.

-CC

Thanks. Wasn't aware of that. I haven't kept tabs on the game in so long, because I didn't think they'd change that.

While these Melee And Archery Specialization will block All Elemental Magic and Arcane/Necromancy, Magic still plays a rather important role. Conversion spells, healing spells, some utility spells, debuff spells are all still VERY important. The Magic Skill system doesn't focus on groups of players working together, and rather allows players to use everything so no teamwork needed, everyone still uses a lot of magic, otherwise you're gimping yourself.

Also, the specs of Destroyer and Mage Killer aren't all that popular from what I've seen. Most players prefer to go Hybrid because the Self-Buffs that each Elemental School offers are very important (especially Stone Skin)

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

Thats my #1 complaint.

-CC

While these Melee And Archery Specialization will block All Elemental Magic and Arcane/Necromancy, Magic still plays a rather important role. Conversion spells, healing spells, some utility spells, debuff spells are all still VERY important. The Magic Skill system doesn't focus on groups of players working together, and rather allows players to use everything so no teamwork needed, everyone still uses a lot of magic, otherwise you're gimping yourself.

Also, the specs of Destroyer and Mage Killer aren't all that popular from what I've seen. Most players prefer to go Hybrid because the Self-Buffs that each Elemental School offers are very important (especially Stone Skin)

If you choose not to use the conversion spells at all, then at this moment you are gimping yourself. Whether AV decides to add in skills that are not magic related for healing, besides Rage, then I doubt you can forgo magic completely. Besides, the conversion spells are just lesser magic. Not a big deal I think.

Originally posted by xanphia

If you choose not to use the conversion spells at all, then at this moment you are gimping yourself. Whether AV decides to add in skills that are not magic related for healing, besides Rage, then I doubt you can forgo magic completely. Besides, the conversion spells are just lesser magic. Not a big deal I think.

What I meant is that group-play isn't all that important when you have all the skills at your disposition. Self Heal, Mana To Stamina, Stamina To Health, Health To Mana, Confusion, Pestilence, Witches Brew are a "must have" in a Battle. It's not that much of an issue, but this is just to say how important in a battle, Magic is. It's not a "choice", it's something that is necessary, which is what I believe Splinki was asking, as he "absolutely detest the magic".

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

Thats my #1 complaint.

This.  No specialization with no limitations leaves the game sorely lacking.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

Self Heal, Mana To Stamina, Stamina To Health, Health To Mana, Confusion, Pestilence, Witches Brew are a "must have" in a Battle. It's not that much of an issue, but this is just to say how important in a battle, Magic is. It's not a "choice", it's something that is necessary, which is what I believe Splinki was asking, as he "absolutely detest the magic".

I've seen warriors fighting in heavy armor, and not using magic at all, being fully dependent on support mage. Even if they haven't blocked their high magic with "Indestructible" spec, casting for 10 seconds with high chance of fizzle is just not practical in the heat of the battle. Even "universal" transfer spell "Stamina to Health" is less important after Vitality patch, when everyone has more HP with the same amount of stamina.

And on topic:

I'd love to see world infrastructure, built by players and destructible, as seen on very old screenshots:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/4/view/screens/house/3/display/369  

Clans should "improve" the land around cities and hamlets, building mills, bridges, "true" farms, marketplaces, bridges, paved roads, guard posts, with real, killable, travelling NPCs. It should be possible to wage true war, turning areas around enemy city into wasteland.

Building war machines should not be abstract act of spending 2 minutes at foundry or shipyard, but we should see lumberjack camp producing wood, processing it at mill, transporting it to shipyard via merchant caravan, where new ship is slowly built at the dock.

Originally posted by Azdul

Self Heal, Mana To Stamina, Stamina To Health, Health To Mana, Confusion, Pestilence, Witches Brew are a "must have" in a Battle. It's not that much of an issue, but this is just to say how important in a battle, Magic is. It's not a "choice", it's something that is necessary, which is what I believe Splinki was asking, as he "absolutely detest the magic".

I've seen warriors fighting in heavy armor, and not using magic at all, being fully dependent on support mage. Even if they haven't blocked their high magic with "Indestructible" spec, casting for 10 seconds with high chance of fizzle is just not practical in the heat of the battle. Even "universal" transfer spell "Stamina to Health" is less important after Vitality patch, when everyone has more HP with the same amount of stamina.

Thank you for posting this.   Too much misinformation enters these forums from those who don't actually play the game but think they know how the game is played.  Those who once played really have no idea how much the game has changed.   You are referencing the impact ones armor choice has and many who once played wouldn't know this, as it wasn't always the case.

Cheers -CC

"Lately it occurs to me,

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

Thank you for posting this.   Too much misinformation enters these forums from those who don't actually play the game but think they know how the game is played.  Those who once played really have no idea how much the game has changed.   You are referencing the impact ones armor choice has and many who once played wouldn't know this, as it wasn't always the case.

Cheers -CC

Of course you can run in heavy armor and not rely on your own heals. But! That requires...dun dun dun...teamwork! Many people feel that they can reach a certain skill level and they can beat ANYONE! Wrong. You are very applicable once you have archery maxed, which is very quick, and maybe a melee mastery. This would all take in under one month. Don't go expecting you are an elite character though. You will get rolled, but if you use the proper amount of teamwork and self ability to keep yourself alive and yourself low on enemy radar you can be quite a factor.

I don't understand how people don't get this.

Cheers -CC

Oh god.....I guess you guys never heard of "Enchanting"? Feather enchant your Full Plate (or Infernal if you are richer) and enjoy the extremely low Magical Encumbrance.  And if you still have a little too much encumbrance (30s), use Unburden and now you have 0 Magic Encumbrance! You can cast without any penality!

Also, Conversion spells are NOT affected by Magic Encumbrance. (As of CtS I believe, or earlier patch, not sure).

It's you guys who are spreading misinformation around the forums, get your facts straight before posting on a forum.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

-Deeper crafting system.

I agree... I would say just drop the faction system altogether. There can be races that dislike each other for purely lore purposes.. perhaps you'd get a higher price if you're buying from an unfriendly race, versus a friendly one. But I think that's where it should end. Alliances and politics should be entirely player-driven, regardless of race. The fact that it's not preventing ARACs pretty much renders the current setup pointless anyway.

Just let the players decide the ebb and flow of alliances, politics, power, etc.. Far more interesting that way.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by WSIMike

I agree... I would say just drop the faction system altogether. There can be races that dislike each other for purely lore purposes.. perhaps you'd get a higher price if you're buying from an unfriendly race, versus a friendly one. But I think that's where it should end. Alliances and politics should be entirely player-driven, regardless of race. The fact that it's not preventing ARACs pretty much renders the current setup pointless anyway.

Just let the players decide the ebb and flow of alliances, politics, power, etc.. Far more interesting that way.

According to the previous DarkFall website (Game Description) that is how it was supposed to be. Clans could gain control of NPC Cities and decides who can or can't enter and such. I'm not quite sure why they ditched the idea though.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

Oh god.....I guess you guys never heard of "Enchanting"? Feather enchant your Full Plate (or Infernal if you are richer) and enjoy the extremely low Magical Encumbrance.  And if you still have a little too much encumbrance (30s), use Unburden and now you have 0 Magic Encumbrance! You can cast without any penality!

Also, Conversion spells are NOT affected by Magic Encumbrance. (As of CtS I believe, or earlier patch, not sure).

Quality 1 feather removes 10 points of encumbrance, Quality 2 - about 20.

Armored casting skill removes another 20 points of encumbrance.

Unburden casted in infernal removes another 20 points - because "unburden" itself is affected by encumbrance. And spell effect lasts for about 5 seconds with 30 seconds cooldown. OFC casting time is also affected by encumbrance, so it's enough to cast 2 spells every 30 seconds.

By using Quality 5 enchant (7000g) you can wear bone set + infernal helmet. without penalty. Full infernal set easily reaches 200+ points of encumbrance. As crafted silverbranches become more and more popular (theyril in normal nodes) - heavy armored guys can reliably fight at the distance, and just don't need magic nukes anymore (keened silverbranch is 0.97 damage)

Transfer spells are LESS (http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=227318) affected by encumbrance, but it's still common to fizzle 3 transfers in a row wearing infernal armor. So to use transfer reliably you must add another high quality "Spell Success" enchant on your staff, because "Adept" spell is also heavily affected by encumbrance.

• kcc9889kcc9889 Member Posts: 84

I always hear things like fix the alingment system and make crafting better but I never hear suggestions on what people would like. What is a better crafting system? How could you fix alingment. I agree that these parts of the game are boring/broken, but seriously how can we fix them.

It's you guys who are spreading misinformation around the forums, get your facts straight before posting on a forum.

Enchanting and Transmuting involve rare and "expensive" items as you said, so to bring those in to this discussion is sort of like me saying to a player complaining about losing a fight that he should of had a high level weapon requiring rare ores and it should of been enchanted to add damage and speed as well.    Yes, enchanting & transmuting are helpful on multiple levels but the majority of players are not running around with all their gear enchanted & those who do are risking more and deserve a benefit.   The point is, just because there are ways via high level crafting to lessen the effects of heavy armor, it is not common and this versatility of risk vs reward is an aspect of the game most of us love.

-CC

"Lately it occurs to me,

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Thats my #1 complaint.

Unless you detest healing magic as well, then you can just go melee/archery and be effective.

Thats my #1 complaint.

-CC

Actually, most clans in large fights, especially in sieges, have groups made up of 6-8 Destroyer people with the rest being filled with either "mages" or hybrid melee hitters.

Cheers -CC

Too bad unburden is pretty much useless due to it not lasting a long time anymore. A hybrid mage will use 4-5 (scale boots, scale gloves, scale legs, FP+ helm, and 1 other) pieces of heavy armor, a high level feather enchant, and the rest bone. This combination + stone skin leaves them with 2-3 less physical protection than a person in a full plate set. If the armor sets were complete, that number would be higher.

Originally posted by kcc9889
    I always hear things like fix the alingment system and make crafting better but I never hear suggestions on what people would like. What is a better crafting system? How could you fix alingment. I agree that these parts of the game are boring/broken, but seriously how can we fix them.

Well I have some ideas

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYNanGuEEWawZHp3Y2Jxd183aGZnMzJ2Y24&hl=en

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher