Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why EQ 2 over EQ 1?

NamicaNamica Member Posts: 71

Simple as that. You see, I'm searching for a new MMO to play after finally finding the ability to say good bye to my friends in WoW (they were the only reason I played for MONTHS).

I played EQ1 a long time ago, lets see, 7 years ago, back when I was 13. Had to quit because my mom made me quit :P I was skipping school to stay home and play my paladin. Hell, I still find myself humming the music from certain zones I liked!

My favorite experience with the game was the exploration, never since EQ did I WANT to explore new areas. Hell, I still have the EQ Atlas, it was the first "book" I read to completion (and now I read all the damned time, ain't that something) I'd read about a zone, about all this awesome lore, and I'd be all giddy when I finnally be able to GO there. I was great.

After playing around on other stagnent MMO (WoW had no sense of exploration EVER, FFXI did, but the exploration felt weird due to the anime backdrop etc...) I think I should go back to my roots. The issue is, after the trials, I really like them both. Chances are, part the love towards EQ1 stems from nostalgia, but it also has that old school feel that just works, not to mention is the more difficult of the two (which to me is a plus)

EQ2 also has nostalgia, checking out places I used to go to and what not, not to mention the combat system being more involved.

So, why would you choose EQ1 over EQ2 or vice versa?

Comments

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Do they both have cash shops now?

• NamicaNamica Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by abbaba

Why are people so damned jaded concerning cash shops that don't effect gameplay ><

• RJEclipseRJEclipse Member Posts: 33

I like EQ2 better than EQ1 these days. The gameplay seems fresher somehow, plus the graphics are a huge bonus. I also like the nostalgia I get from visiting places that were in EQ1, and since they keep adding new zones it stays fresh. I don't think the sense of exploration in EQ2 is the same as it once was in EQ1, but I think that sense more or less went away with Planes of Power. Why risk the dangers walking from Freeport to Qeynos is I can just port there?

Anyways, I think you can still get an equal sense of exploration, if that' what you're looking for, in EQ and EQ2. Just don't use the fast travel systems :)

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Namica

Originally posted by abbaba

Why are people so damned jaded concerning cash shops that don't effect gameplay ><

Every time you encounter a bug, broken content, lacking expansion or anything else, realize that the developer time used to create all the infrastructure for the cash shop could have instead been used to fix the game you are playing.  The sword of ultimate power might not be for sale in the cash shop, but neither was the fix for zoning lag or the new starter city.  Use it or not, the cash shop has already effected gameplay.

That aside, if you are really thirsting for a game that has good exploration then you might want to look into vanguard.  Big open world filled with varied landscapes, cool classes and interesting locations.  I really do not think you are going to find what you are looking for in EQ/EQ2.  It really is the game that EQ2 should have been and one of the few games that will bring back a bit of that old EQ feeling. 

As long as you go into the game with the knowledge that it might be closed down in the very near future, you should be fine. Just don't expect a high level of polish or completely functioning gameplay, but then again you are not really going to get that from the eq series either.