Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did anyone from the NGE team get laid off?

SOE has just had a round of layoffs, including some prominent EQ2 Devs.  Did anyone from the NGE game get laid off?

Or are both developers still on the job?

I can't see them leaving SWG out of the cuts, considering how insignificant it's subscriber base is compared to EQ/EQ2.

Comments

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I have yet to hear of any SWG dev being axed due to this layoff. As it is, I wouldn't be surprised if what SWG staff is left is working on other games and projects in the name off efficiency.

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

you can't lay off people that are part of a skeleton crew.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by PreCU

you can't lay off people that are part of a skeleton crew.

The Vanguard layoffs say otherwise.  That said, I doubt SWG was affected because the contract with LEC likely requires a minimum number of people working on the project, and the SWG team has to be extremely close to that number.  The SWG carcas is already pretty bare...

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

then it wasn't a skeleton crew.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

As if anyone who made the NGE is still working on SWG.... please.

Whats real sad is that SWG is still a solid product. The fact that its mostly dead now is a shame, it could be a lot... Oh well.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

I sincerely doubt the conract with LEC spells out the number of devs SOE must employ.  That said I think the NGE is probably at the bare minumum to keep the lights on at this point.  Most of the talent has either been moved to other SOE projects or left for greener pastures,

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by Valeran

I sincerely doubt the conract with LEC spells out the number of devs SOE must employ.  That said I think the NGE is probably at the bare minumum to keep the lights on at this point.  Most of the talent has either been moved to other SOE projects or left for greener pastures,

I would have to agree with you Valeran, Mostly to DCUO also at SOE Austin is were you will find former talent from SWG.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

Why was this moved to the Refuge?  This is current gameplay discussion.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Whats real sad is that SWG is still a solid product. The fact that its mostly dead now is a shame, it could be a lot... Oh well.

I think it is dead, because it is not a solid product.  Still no collision detection, player avoid battlegrounds due to hacks and bugs, storytelling was left unfinished and the list goes on and on.  Things get thrown into the game half finished and then left in those conditions for enternity.  On top of that certain aspects of the game goes multiple years without so much as a bullet point in a patch note. 

This is a games with the star wars name on it.  If it was a solid product tons of people would play it.  Nothing could keep them away.  The problem is that swg has never been a solid product from day 1. 

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by JestorRodo

I would have to agree with you Valeran, Mostly to DCUO also at SOE Austin is were you will find former talent from SWG.

Some left and joined Bioware on TOR as well.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Daffid011

I think it is dead, because it is not a solid product.  Still no collision detection, player avoid battlegrounds due to hacks and bugs, storytelling was left unfinished and the list goes on and on.  Things get thrown into the game half finished and then left in those conditions for enternity.  On top of that certain aspects of the game goes multiple years without so much as a bullet point in a patch note. 

This is a games with the star wars name on it.  If it was a solid product tons of people would play it.  Nothing could keep them away.  The problem is that swg has never been a solid product from day 1. 

Agree 100%.

At its best, SWG was a brilliantly conceived, poorly implemented game.  To date, it has one of the best crafting systems on the market, which has been made all but useless after the NGE and card game.

JtL... the perfect example of a half finished piece, pretty much left to rot.  Have to wonder if they fixed PvP and multi-player ships, yet... AFTER 6 YEARS.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Robsolf

Agree 100%.

At its best, SWG was a brilliantly conceived, poorly implemented game.  To date, it has one of the best crafting systems on the market, which has been made all but useless after the NGE and card game.

JtL... the perfect example of a half finished piece, pretty much left to rot.  Have to wonder if they fixed PvP and multi-player ships, yet... AFTER 6 YEARS.

You are absolutely correct.  Take your exmaple of pvp and just focus on the galactic civil war aspect of that.  It has underwent so many revamps in some effort to make it relevant to the game or even something players would have interest in.  Over six years later and it is still in a state of disfunction and badly in need of a yet another revamp.

SWG is a game filled with potential that almost never gets realized.  Read the developer notes for what the planetary control/city invasion system was going to delivery.  It sounded really sweet.  Then compare that to what was delivered and how quickly that was abandonded after implmentation. 

It would be laughable, but that would imply that there was some sort of expectation of quality at this point.  It is equally as strange to see how newsworthy and excited the current players get when the developers do something right.  They really do make headlines and cheer when the devs don't screw something up. 

To me at least, that doesn't scream of a solid product, let alone one that has always been solid.

Why was this moved to the Refuge?  This is current gameplay discussion.

Because it feature a negative about SOE  - the layoffs and thus it must be banter for us nasty vets.

Unaware of the Jestor?

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Robsolf

Agree 100%.

I have to co sign here brilliantly conceived, and yes poorly implemented.  This game was never as good as it could have been under it's original build and as a person who actually likes themepark games like WOW and LOTRO the NGE is a horrible game too.  And as of last year there was nothing different about JTL, I went for a trial and somehow managed to find the frame of mind to sub for one month to see what was all new.  I didn't get to see any of the instances they had like Hoth or whatever it was but got to try the thing that made it so WOW like "the Legacy quest" and it was just laughable to say that this really added to the game one quest line period point blank.  And JTL at the time I think may have had one or two new ships in it but it is/was the exact same as when I left right before the NGE.

Writing this post has actually made me have to think twice about playing DCUO.....

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I haven't followed anything about DCUO.  But SOE has that upcoming MMO?  Oh noes...

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Some left and joined Bioware on TOR as well.

Thanks for reminding about that horrid little tidbit!

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• DKWFirstbornDKWFirstborn Member Posts: 32

I don't simply play games that are published by SOE, FUNCOM or Nsoft. Peroid.

Kindest regards,

DKW

• Fireside286Fireside286 Member Posts: 72

Hell they should have been all fired.

I haven't played a game religiously since I quit SWG.  My TK master is the only character in any game I felt like I couldn't do any better. 

I miss SWG....

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

They had all the lay-offs so they could afford Mark Hamill to be a Comic-Con.

Originally posted by Preponerance

Which makes No sense at all because Hamill being tthe Voice of the Joker in many of the better Batman cartoons as well as In  Batman: Arkham Asylum II (2011) and Arkham Asylum is not yet been annouced as the voice of the Joker in DCUO...unless this is the place and time to annouce. Well, it better be or SOE should have their heads examined

Unaware of the Jestor?

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Preponerance

Which makes No sense at all because Hamill being tthe Voice of the Joker in many of the better Batman cartoons as well as In  Batman: Arkham Asylum II (2011) and Arkham Asylum is not yet been annouced as the voice of the Joker in DCUO...unless this is the place and time to annouce. Well, it better be or SOE should have their heads examined

Are you kidding me?

All you kids may know Mark Hamill as the voice of the Joker...but the dude is LUKE EFFING SKYWALKER!!!!

He does great as the Joker, no doubt...but when a company has the DC license and the SW license and they invest more into the most iconic character from Star Wars to do the voice-over in the crappy DC game, you gotta wonder what the hell they're thinking.

They'll pay Mark Hamill to do a quick voice over as the Joker, yet they never forked out a cent for his most famous and infinitely more popular role as Luke?! WTF?!