Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would F2P be better?

SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Here is my point: I do like play Legos but I don't want to play them EVERYDAY!

That's my main problem with Lego Universe, I don't want pay monthly for game that I'm going to play sometimes. I argue that it would be both player friendly and game friendly if core play would be F2P. You could log in, chat, do some small things but you would need to pay to have adventures. Think it as themepark, you can get in but you need to buy tickets to have ride. Ofc you could have subsciption that allows you to use all machines whole month but also having option for those who won't be playing so much.

Comments

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

IMO F2P is never better.  I think LU has enough potential to be a big hitter in the P2P MMO market.  I understand the Lego thing may not be the most appealing at first look, but they will have a ton of freedom to take their product whatever way they want with the Lego theme.

• kyse2kyse2 Member UncommonPosts: 32

f2p would be nice but i think it is going 2 do fine as a p2p i almost pre ordered it and i might do that still :P but not likely seeing as ff14 is coming might go for that over some legos :P

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

My kids are not allowed to play f2p MMO's

Do you want your kids to play in a totally uncontrolled environment with the sole intention of pushing players to spen as much as possible in the cash shop..

Bad things happen in F2p games...

I bet Lego will do everything possible to keep this gameworld free of  any unwanted dangers for my kids, i'd say its some well invested money. P2P all the way

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

HAve they confirmed buisness model for this game?

I hope it wont be forced monthly subscription since that would probably kill the game. Im guesing B2P and some small microtransactions for cosmetics/convinence.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Papadam

I hope it wont be forced monthly subscription since that would probably kill the game. Im guesing B2P and some small microtransactions for cosmetics/convinence.

RPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Beta Testing  (est.rel 10/26/10)

Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Subscription

Desktop Client | System Req: PC Mac

It says so at the top of these boards..............

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by Papadam

RPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Beta Testing  (est.rel 10/26/10)

Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Subscription

Desktop Client | System Req: PC Mac

It says so at the top of these boards..............

Does that mean it has been confirmed?

And that can mean alot of things since alot of games for kids seem to have optional subscription.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I think it could survive as a P2P model, as long as they offer a pricing model along the same lines as Wizard 101.  If the subs were about 9.99$ a month, and offer a family plan of about 6.99$ a month, it could do fairly well.

Actually this game deserves a pricing model like the orriginal Guild wars

And then making extra money by selling DLC...

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

It is really going to depend on how much and how fast they can add new content to the game.  As it stands right now, its nowhere near worth paying a monthly fee for.  There is maybe 20 - 25 hours worth of content (right now)(quests, places to explore and items to collect) but unless they can really step it up and push out the content, I couldn't see anyone paying a monthly fee for 14 hours of gameplay.

At this stage the only thing that will keep players long term is the property building and even then sitting there building your property up for others to stumble along and maybe see it..  well thats not going to keep people interested for an extended period of time.

There are lots of potential for future content additions, but I am getting this feeling that they are going to push it out before theres enough content there and some of the bigger issues (lag) are fixed up.

I think they game would fit perfectly with a Guild Wars style model and then they release mini expansion packs for new islands and such, charging for them or they could package them up 5-10 islands and release it as an expansion to the game.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

My kids are not allowed to play f2p MMO's

Do you want your kids to play in a totally uncontrolled environment with the sole intention of pushing players to spen as much as possible in the cash shop..

Bad things happen in F2p games...

I bet Lego will do everything possible to keep this gameworld free of  any unwanted dangers for my kids, i'd say its some well invested money. P2P all the way

Well said :)

• Lexe01Lexe01 Member Posts: 97

F2P is more expensive than P2P and much more limited and less enjoyable. People say this every day on these forums...pitty nothing is done with this information.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991

Only if you want it to become content lite and unfair for any pvp.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Lexe01

F2P is more expensive than P2P and much more limited and less enjoyable. People say this every day on these forums...pitty nothing is done with this information.

Thats because it's just normal posters being drowned out by the noise of the 'sponsored'  neutral seeming opinion forming sites and the players that have had their opinion already formed.

I would imagine anyone seriously interested in social engineering is watching the F2P vs P2P situation on the net very closely. Its an amazing excercise in transforming how people think and behave in an amazingly short time, just by creating the false reality that it's better for the customer (it isnt) and that it's inevitable and 'just the way things are and will be' (it isnt).

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Actually this game deserves a pricing model like the orriginal Guild wars

And then making extra money by selling DLC...

Actually that what I also meant. So yes you should pay for box, but not pay for playing. I think historialic F2P used to mean that until current crapfest ruined whole idea by giving everything free and trying to trick people with cash shops.

Payed boxes (accounts) + Free playing (no monthly costs) + Cash Shop (for silly special things) + DLC for future content = Big ass $$$

And I still think purely P2P with 10$/monthly ain't gonna work. This doesn't have HC niche audience that can support it and most parents ain't too happy to pay monthly. They should make gift cards for cash shop so parents could buy that and kids can use them (instead of linking credit card to cash shop, epic failure), it works great on Habbo Hotel style kids "games".

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Maybe it's a little early for people to be deciding whether or not this game should go f2p.  it's not even out yet.  Now I am saying this tongue in cheek, but say LU is the greatest MMO you've ever played?  You just don't know yet.  While it certainly may not be I think we should at least let the game come out prior to deciding on this.  In addition while F2P games give me some enjoyment from time to time, the games with unobtrusive CS's are few and far btw.  Despite many F2P fans claims otherwise there's plenty of pay 2 win games out there, and that's not my style.

Steam: Neph

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

I spent the weekend beta testing and my conclusion so far is that there is no way I'll even buy the box if this game has a sub fee. There simply is no way for me to justify it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• HarkkumHarkkum Member Posts: 180

There is still quite some fleshing to be done for the game but I wouldn't outright say that there wouldn't be a pay-to-play market for a game like this. It is rather addictive and gives a number of different mini-game options for different play types. Certainly, there is a bulk of content missing that is crucial for even the most limited release but I guess they are fully aware of that. From the looks of it, they are working on the core functionality first (building, most notably) and then adding more gradually. Hopefully they manage to pull it off as I could see a relatively wide audience for this game if executed properly.