Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Found this little potential jewel of a game, and..

norrinorri Member Posts: 2

It reminds me - vaguely - of how I viewed Tabula Rasa. I loved that game, it was the only real twitch-based MMORPG of it's time, and I adored it, the character customization and all that. Shame Richard Garriot gimped it when the devs couldn't push new content, and he got fired far too late to save it's decline, but.. TERA? It gives me that feeling that I had when I saw Tabula Rasa for the first time. Hope. Twitch-based already confirms to me it won't follow suite with the mouth breathing cretins who can't advance above the Tab key to switch targets and #'s 1-5.

A coy little wink from across the bar, if you will. A devious, yet accepting finger waggle and mouthed 'come hither' leaving it's lips. It's a different game. A break in the usual formula, and not - from what I see in screenshots - going to leave a bad taste in my mouth like Aion very much so did. Now, I could be crazy. I just have a good feeling, and at least somebody is bloody well veering away from the gag-fest that is 1-2-3-4, Tab, 1-2-3-4 enemy kill combination. Not a fan of fantasy, but it's art style alone gives it a more unique feeling compared to rest of the shite peddled in the MMO community.

Comments

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by norri

It reminds me - vaguely - of how I viewed Tabula Rasa. I loved that game, it was the only real twitch-based MMORPG of it's time, and I adored it, the character customization and all that. Shame Richard Garriot gimped it when the devs couldn't push new content, and he got fired far too late to save it's decline, but.. TERA? It gives me that feeling that I had when I saw Tabula Rasa for the first time. Hope. Twitch-based already confirms to me it won't follow suite with the mouth breathing cretins who can't advance above the Tab key to switch targets and #'s 1-5.

A coy little wink from across the bar, if you will. A devious, yet accepting finger waggle and mouthed 'come hither' leaving it's lips. It's a different game. A break in the usual formula, and not - from what I see in screenshots - going to leave a bad taste in my mouth like Aion very much so did. Now, I could be crazy. I just have a good feeling, and at least somebody is bloody well veering away from the gag-fest that is 1-2-3-4, Tab, 1-2-3-4 enemy kill combination. Not a fan of fantasy, but it's art style alone gives it a more unique feeling compared to rest of the shite peddled in the MMO community.

I think I will prefer Rift ...

Tera is just lineage 3 actually (they stole the code and made the lineage 3 dev's have to start over) Tera is gonna be way to grindy I will wager! Plus RIFT looks way cooler!

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

indeed and so far the hands on, that Ive read, only have good things to say about the game, sure this is only at the start of the game, but alone that a MMO can give a good "new game feeling" . well cant say no to that :P

other than combat there is alot of things on their list of features that sounds great, but would have to see how those work out to say if its good fun or not.

as for grind, the english version wont be the same as the korean version at all, sounds En Masse doing alot of work on it to fit the western market expectations.

as for RIFT I dont understand what get ppl so hyped about it, so far just read it  as a full time instance grinding, when released could prove me wrong, but its the main selling point of that game, the rifts, which I would love if they were very rare, but no sounds they rather is all over the place....yay gear come get it !

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

I have played TERA and it is a gamer dream come true. After that i just dont want to look at any other MMO, they seem so boring and pathetic.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Here's a link to about 1500 screenshots,  Looks like the world map is gonna be large unlike aion.

http://popori.ru/blog/screenshots-arts/272.html

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MariouzMariouz Member Posts: 186

and.... quit leaving the damn subject line open ended!

Dont ruin the game by saying its going to be like some other game that you played and failed. Just wait until it comes out and try it out. Hell this game while it is getting all this hype might not even make it to the store so just wait and see if it will be the next big thing for you.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Wow, what's with the Rift lovers all over the forums, isn't Rift gonna be just a fresh WoW?

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Not sure I agree with the lineage comparison, after looking at videos.

It doesnt seem like an MMO, more of an action arcade beat-um-up.

Maybe more like an online Golden Axe remake xD

Originally posted by sadeyx

Not sure I agree with the lineage comparison, after looking at videos.

It doesnt seem like an MMO, more of an action arcade beat-um-up.

Maybe more like an online Golden Axe remake xD

and action part of it is what they really sell this game on, only reason Id be intrested from that point of view is that I keep reading it actually works, that it actually does make you feel like being an active part of the fight, not just pushing buttons as in traditional MMOs, but with directional hit buttons....hm golden axe, now that some nice memories :P   one of the few games Ive played to end heh.

am more worried about community, than anything about this game at this point

• aluucardsaluucards Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by paterah

Wow, what's with the Rift lovers all over the forums, isn't Rift gonna be just a fresh WoW?

Isn't TERA going to be a nicer looking Aion korean grindfest with manual aim? YEP

But...but....Bluehole said they were going to listen to the west.....LOL

I also have no intentions of playing Rift.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by aluucards

Isn't TERA going to be a nicer looking Aion korean grindfest with manual aim? YEP

Grindfest...we have no idea what it's going to be like.  I hope it's not easy mode like wow is and I hope its not like L2.

manual aim...yea it will have manual aim,  and hitboxes for players, npc's, and weapons.

Btw: most people that played wow think aion was a grind.  and I guess that would be true if you came from wow.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

Grindfest...we have no idea what it's going to be like.  I hope it's not easy mode like wow is and I hope its not like L2.

manual aim...yea it will have manual aim,  and hitboxes for players, npc's, and weapons.

Btw: most people that played wow think aion was a grind.  and I guess that would be true if you came from wow.

I have played FF11, WoW, Aion, Lotro, Lineage 2, WAR and AoC to max level and took part in each of their so called engame.

And the two games that were grindfests out of those games were the Korean made ones. Nothing says that will change.

Korean grinders do not do well in the west. Aion is failing hard. The server merges are huge for being less than a year old.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Yea I thought that about APB, it just being a glorified shooter, but the simplicity in it makes it so addictive.

Btw, is Rift the same type of game or did you mean to say TERA ?

• dalestaines1dalestaines1 Member Posts: 107

I have played FF11, WoW, Aion, Lotro, Lineage 2, WAR and AoC to max level and took part in each of their so called engame.

And the two games that were grindfests out of those games were the Korean made ones. Nothing says that will change.

Korean grinders do not do well in the west. Aion is failing hard. The server merges are huge for being less than a year old.

I agree.  Aion was severly hyped, but it's like a F2P but you're allergic to water and you get wings that you can't use. Lame.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by norri

It reminds me - vaguely - of how I viewed Tabula Rasa. I loved that game, it was the only real twitch-based MMORPG of it's time, and I adored it, the character customization and all that. Shame Richard Garriot gimped it when the devs couldn't push new content, and he got fired far too late to save it's decline, but..

First of all, OP, you have no idea how it went down with TR.

The moment they canned RG is when they decided to forgo all additional content in lieu of the stupid clone-based avatars and other useless crap. It's easy to blame things solely on the brain behind the concept, without realizing that the 80+ other developers and the money-hunger publisher will have nothing to do with his vision once he's been milked dry. You can thank "cost efficiency" for the crap that got released after the game launched, not RG.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

for what I understand the rift hype is mainly because of some of the original EQ1/early EQ2 "fixer devs" is on their dev team - so yes will be the "new WoW"  - or EQ2 if you want.  have yet to read something exciting about the game  tho, other than it looks visually great.

Originally posted by sadeyx

Yea I thought that about APB, it just being a glorified shooter, but the simplicity in it makes it so addictive.

Btw, is Rift the same type of game or did you mean to say TERA ?

I give every fairly big name/hyped MMO a try.

But I don't plan on playing TERA long term either, but I was just pointing out that I was not a rift fanboy coming on this forum.
  • OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

I prefer to chalk TERA up to we wont know how good it is till a month after release. I have played it, and it has good and bad points about it. Grinding was not one of those points but neither was it in Aion at early levels. We wont know how it is till we can play the whole game. I will never understand how people think, mainly assuming that everything Korean equals grindy and/or bad but everything in the west equals great and/or next WoW killer yet ends up just as bad as the Korean games. People are already raving about games like Rift and GW2 when they havn't even touched the game more or less seen actual gameplay footage ( meaning stuff not touched up actual normal people playing ). Either way I am looking foward to the newer style of combat that TERA is bringing to the table. Like was mentioned before after playing TERA all other combat seems dull and boring to me now.

Originally posted by Otakun

I prefer to chalk TERA up to we wont know how good it is till a month after release. I have played it, and it has good and bad points about it. Grinding was not one of those points but neither was it in Aion at early levels. We wont know how it is till we can play the whole game. I will never understand how people think, mainly assuming that everything Korean equals grindy and/or bad but everything in the west equals great and/or next WoW killer yet ends up just as bad as the Korean games. People are already raving about games like Rift and GW2 when they havn't even touched the game more or less seen actual gameplay footage ( meaning stuff not touched up actual normal people playing ). Either way I am looking foward to the newer style of combat that TERA is bringing to the table. Like was mentioned before after playing TERA all other combat seems dull and boring to me now.

I would like to point out that no one ever said the Korean games were bad. It is obvious that it is not the preference in the west just by sub numbers and things like that.

Also, could you or someone point out a moderately successful non-grindy Korean made game? A game that has been fairly main stream or at least recognizable. This is a serious inquiry btw not trying to be a jerk.

I would like to point out that no one ever said the Korean games were bad. It is obvious that it is not the preference in the west just by sub numbers and things like that.

Also, could you or someone point out a moderately successful non-grindy Korean made game? A game that has been fairly main stream or at least recognizable. This is a serious inquiry btw not trying to be a jerk.

I could list a few moderately successful Korean games depending on your meaning of the term. Non-grindy lowers the list by a large sum since that is something that they don't mind as much as we do.  Though I could easily list Mabinogi Heroes/Vindictus and Continent of the Ninth to start the list but since they are only succsessful in Korea atm I am sure you don't care but the games take time and money to come out over here. Aion is sucsessful in Korea cause NCsoft listens to them but not to us. Just because a game is not sucsessful in America does not mean it's not sucsessful in general.So it all goes into what your meaning of the term is. Though considering America hasn't made a moderately sucsessful MMO since WoW I doubt we have any right to complain about Korean games.

I could list a few moderately successful Korean games depending on your meaning of the term. Non-grindy lowers the list by a large sum since that is something that they don't mind as much as we do.  Though I could easily list Mabinogi Heroes/Vindictus and Continent of the Ninth to start the list but since they are only succsessful in Korea atm I am sure you don't care but the games take time and money to come out over here. Aion is sucsessful in Korea cause NCsoft listens to them but not to us. Just because a game is not sucsessful in America does not mean it's not sucsessful in general.So it all goes into what your meaning of the term is. Though considering America hasn't made a moderately sucsessful MMO since WoW I doubt we have any right to complain about Korean games.

Once again I need to point out that I never said that some Korean games were not successful. That would be stupid there are plenty that have succeeded maybe not in the west, but success is success there is no disagreement there.

It is my fualt for not clarifying int he first place. Looking for a moderately successful Korean made game that is/was popular in the west that is not a grindfest.

American companies have come out with two very significant MMOs since WoW: Guild Wars and Lord of the Rings.

So if you can name a few Korean games that would be great.

Once again I need to point out that I never said that some Korean games were not successful. That would be stupid there are plenty that have succeeded maybe not in the west, but success is success there is no disagreement there.

It is my fualt for not clarifying int he first place. Looking for a moderately successful Korean made game that is/was popular in the west that is not a grindfest.

American companies have come out with two very significant MMOs since WoW: Guild Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Well, your request is a little one sided. That is like asking for a sucsessful American MMO that is not a quest grind. If you want a korean non-grinding game then I suggest waiting for Vindictus or TERA.

Well, your request is a little one sided. That is like asking for a sucsessful American MMO that is not a quest grind. If you want a korean non-grinding game then I suggest waiting for Vindictus or TERA.

It's not really one sided. I live in the west so obviously I would be more concerned with the west.

TERA and Vindictus may seem like great prospects now, but there is not much evidence that says they will not be grinders.

That is what I was trying to get at. That is why I wanted you to name a Korean game that did not have a huge grind that was fairly popular in the west. It is hard to do, which leads me to believe that is not going to change at this point in time.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

It's not really one sided. I live in the west so obviously I would be more concerned with the west.

TERA and Vindictus may seem like great prospects now, but there is not much evidence that says they will not be grinders.

That is what I was trying to get at. That is why I wanted you to name a Korean game that did not have a huge grind that was fairly popular in the west. It is hard to do, which leads me to believe that is not going to change at this point in time.

The "it has not been done before, therefore it can't be done" is the most overused and fail logic I have experienced IMO.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

The word grind is thrown around a lot these days.  There will always be a grind in games. The degree of grinding is what is important to me and the end result. Aion had a grind but so did WOW.  So I think Tera has the potiental to b e a grindy but will it be fun! That is yet to be seen.