Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO team already being reduced

TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

This was posted by CaptLogan on the official forums.  I dont think he realized he let this slip.  How many times did Zinc say that the STO dev team would not be reduced and would be staying on STO and not moving to the other MMO?  Just one more nail in the Cryptic coffin.

So it's not so much polygon budgets, or data budgets, but I'd say that it's mostly because our team is shrinking, and we still have to continue to put out a lot of other content for the future, that it will be really hard for me to get the political pull to get a couple programmers, an FX guy, and myself a couple weeks to make new models for this cause.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

OMG!  You guys should see the fanbois trying to defend this on the official forums.  They are trying to say this statement only applied to the team working on some armor artwork.  Like it takes a whole team to work on the art for one piece of armor.   Others are posting that the C-Store helps the game and every time you buy it helps the devs to create more content so you should buy more stuff so more content can be developed.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

OMG you are so pathetic.

• MeromorphMeromorph Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Talonsin

Just one more nail in the Cryptic coffin. 

People just love to hate this game!   There are so many worse games out there that people just ignore, it's a mystery to me why folks care about STO.   Star Trek doesn't explain it, there have been loads of bad ST games that people don't care about. 

Ironically, the only explanation that makes sense, is that people keep hating on this game because Cryptic actually tries to listen.  Paying attention to the haters makes them feel powerful and encourages them to continue, compared to other games that just ignore them and then they go away. 

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Meromorph

People just love to hate this game!   There are so many worse games out there that people just ignore, it's a mystery to me why folks care about STO.   Star Trek doesn't explain it, there have been loads of bad ST games that people don't care about. 

Ironically, the only explanation that makes sense, is that people keep hating on this game because Cryptic actually tries to listen.  Paying attention to the haters makes them feel powerful and encourages them to continue, compared to other games that just ignore them and then they go away. 

People do love to hate this game, and rightly so!  Its a royal turd lol.  Yes.. yes indeed.. it IS indeed a mystery why people care about this game.  You said it yourself... so what ev man lol.  Sure, a few devs and dstahl posts in the forums.  Good for them.  Communication is always good.

But if they really are listening.. then how come half the highest tier ships are in the c store, and half the playable races are also in the c store?   Anywho.. ill just be waiting for SWTOR.

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

This game is junk and will continue to decline.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

People continue to hate this game because I think more than any other mmo that was supposed to be a major title, this one was the crappiest, and continues to be the crappiest. It's a total rip off, and Cryptic shouldn't be allowed to get away with this scam of a game.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

How many times did Zinc say that the STO dev team would not be reduced and would be staying on STO and not moving to the other MMO? 

A lot of things have been said by Zinc and others that turned out not to be true. Why is this particular instance so surprising? Many knew this would be happening since launch anyway.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

If they had named it something other than Star Trek and removed the ohh so familiar "trek" uniforms and changed the looks of the ships it would have been a hell of a lot more popular. As far as the game plays it isn't that bad actually. But to call it Star Trek simply pisses a lot of people off because it is not true Star Trek canon by no means! Just an opinion...

Although I hate any game that calls itself an MMO when in fact they are just  single player games with a chat box and a monthly subscription. To me this trend must stop. It is pure bullshit!

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Hagonbok

People continue to hate this game because I think more than any other mmo that was supposed to be a major title, this one was the crappiest, and continues to be the crappiest. It's a total rip off, and Cryptic shouldn't be allowed to get away with this scam of a game.

On top of that, and to reiterate, not only is it not good in general, but for the price, especially for those that paid full retail, it is REALLY not good.

Add in the C-store shenanigans and it is not hard to understand the terrible reputation of the game and company.

I wish Cryptic luck (no, not really) in finding new Lifetime (suckers) sub buyers for their next game, or any game in the future.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

No, the reason people hate the game is because it's bad AND it sold well, not that its just bad.  A game selling well for Cryptic means Cryptic stays afloat.

This thread sucks.  Okay, so the STO staff is being reduced?  And?  EVERY company is reducing staff.  SOE just fired 35 people for the heck of it.  A few other companies have cut in the teens.  Economy is rough bro.

• madcraggymadcraggy Member Posts: 26

I think the thing is people could see this fail of a game coming from a mile off and many in beta told Cryptic but they didn't listen all they could and still think of is $$$$.  I feel sorry for the STO players I really do, but the hate I feel is directed towards Cryptic for what they have done and the choices they have made.

Perhaps someone will buy STO and move it forward? :)

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by lethys

No, the reason people hate the game is because it's bad AND it sold well, not that its just bad.  A game selling well for Cryptic means Cryptic stays afloat.

This thread sucks.  Okay, so the STO staff is being reduced?  And?  EVERY company is reducing staff.  SOE just fired 35 people for the heck of it.  A few other companies have cut in the teens.  Economy is rough bro.

Well, when they tell the community that their staff is being reduced in size from an already very small dev team.. that might ring some bells for some people.  Just a thought.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Well, when they tell the community that their staff is being reduced in size from an already very small dev team.. that might ring some bells for some people.  Just a thought.

Nah, they either:

1) Deny the team is being reduced, but shifted to other areas, even though the dev specifically said shrinking and not shifted, or

2) Insist that's normal, which generally is the case, except for when the devs said not that long ago the team wasn't going to be reduced, and ignore the fact a smaller dev team means even less content for a pathetically content-lite game.

It was strange that most people in that thread seemed to gloss over that little nugget, though.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Well really, when you read a lot of the posts on the official forums now you just have to wonder how many of those people are actually Cryptic employees (remember they were infamous for that back in CoH/CoV early days). I mean I know it's possible for that many people to be completely delusional, but ...........

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

This was posted by CaptLogan on the official forums.  I dont think he realized he let this slip.  How many times did Zinc say that the STO dev team would not be reduced and would be staying on STO and not moving to the other MMO?  Just one more nail in the Cryptic coffin.

So it's not so much polygon budgets, or data budgets, but I'd say that it's mostly because our team is shrinking, and we still have to continue to put out a lot of other c-store content for the future, that it will be really hard for me to get the political pull to get a couple programmers, an FX guy, and myself a couple weeks to make new models for this cause.

think this guys statement makes more sense with that one word in red added

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

If there were any justice, Cryptic would be reduced to just Bill Roper, Jack Emmert and a cup

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

For the Klingons, the reduction of the dev team doesn't make one bit of difference.  It's not like they had dialogue with, much less trying to do much for the KDF faction anyways.

For the amount of RESULTS the Klingons have actually received, especially compared to the Federation, is laughable at best.  They say they want to dedicate themselves to bringing the KDF faction up to par with the Federation, but it's all lies.  Smoke & Mirrors.  All you have to do is look at the patches and see where all the attention goes.  You can see where all the new ships go.  Season 2 had been touted a while to be a patch to bring alot of love to the KDF, but the results say otherwise.

Sad to see some of the 'ol KDF players I flew alongside with in PvP following that dangling carrot from Cryptic that's always somehow out of reach.  They won't learn until too late and after they've forked out alot of money over the course of time.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• dirtyklingondirtyklingon Member Posts: 158

i follow STO on fb and lurk on teh forums from time to time, and i have to say what i read on them is hilarious.

one post i read today from a dev i never saw posting while i played(first two months after launch) whined about how they were only allowed to spend a measily 4 hours on a special texture. not sure if this texture was from the c store or not but it's a good indication of the future of this game.

i have watched as lots of new content in a content poor game was released to teh cash shop. i recently loled at the season 2 update description that adds about a week worth of ultra casual play if you have max level toons on both factions.

it seems cryptic tries to listen to the community but only listens to selective portions. key example was death penalty where the majority of ppl that cared were against it but they went back on their previou sstatements and added the DP anyway. sure it was optional but it was still wasted dev time. and then there are the caitians in which 3 people bump and create new threads about the subject until it makes it into the game.

i wonder if STO will make it to the point where i will resub for a month to play for a few hours a day and end up playing all the new content they have created since 6 weeks after launch. will it be six months from now or several years? and will STO still be running in that time?

what's funniest is the brand new LTSers on teh official forums who seem surprised at certain things that have become normal for STO. i'm quite glad i didn't dump teh money on an LTS myself.

KERPLAH!

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I was thinking of playing again...despite my dissappointment with the changes just before and after launch. I figured since I pre-ordered a digital download I might as well get some more use from the game. Now...the reason I purchased a pre-order pack was to be able to play a Joined Trill...don't know why...but just have a certain affection for the idea. I just looked at the c-store...and despite all the ships...which I thought they said would NOT be available...What really pissed me off was now, for a price of course, anyone can play a Joined Trill (as well as Liberated Borg). So..the "special" pre-order offer is not so "special" anymore.

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by BarCrow

I was thinking of playing again...despite my dissappointment with the changes just before and after launch. I figured since I pre-ordered a digital download I might as well get some more use from the game. Now...the reason I purchased a pre-order pack was to be able to play a Joined Trill...don't know why...but just have a certain affection for the idea. I just looked at the c-store...and despite all the ships...which I thought they said would NOT be available...What really pissed me off was now, for a price of course, anyone can play a Joined Trill (as well as Liberated Borg). So..the "special" pre-order offer is not so "special" anymore.

The die hards will never admit it but ever since Cryptic did that and put the other lifetime and preorder bonuses into the c-store a lot of people stopped playing. Whether you sympathize with the anger or not the hate for Cryptic exists because of this and won't ever go away much like NGE. You can't advertise something exclusive to someone if they pay you hundreds of dollars or preorder your unfinished game, then a few weeks later say, yeah ok thanks for your money but now we'll offer your exclusive to everyone else so we can make more money! Cryptic shouldn't have made such a divisive move so early on. By doing it they slit their own throat. It would be shocking if this game ever really recovers. The very people they pissed off were likely people that would have given this game a second or even third chance because they were willing to invest in it up front. Now that a lot of people have the opinion Cryptic ripped them off, not going to happen. Too many people feel what you feel about it and will never return ever just like SWG.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

I love how this is somehow news. I mean you guys do know that it is STANDARD practice for a game after rlease to downsize the development team right?

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Mopar63

I love how this is somehow news. I mean you guys do know that it is STANDARD practice for a game after rlease to downsize the development team right?

a game thats finished. of course its also standard if you game half finished and tanking worse than the titanic.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by BarCrow

What you brought up is just the tip of the iceberg.

Another lesson on Shady Practices 101 is the "Refer A Friend" program a while ago.  The main carrot at the end was the Galaxy X class starship, if you can sucker 5 people to pay for this "game."  That is not an easy feat considering the state of the game, and anyone that can do that (or just buy 5 more accounts themselves? lol) will get the coveted reward.

Let's forget also that Klingon players didn't get an equivalent reward for their Klingon toons.

Anyways, given a bit more time, Cryptic turns around and puts on the C-Store the Galaxy X for all to buy (and it is expensive also).  So, it was a clear FU to the people who REALLY worked hard to sucker more people to play.  They let them put the effort in getting more suckers / subscribers, AND they later put the coveted ship on C-Store to make a killing.  They knew alot of Feds wanted the ship, and they milked every possible angle of the playerbase to get even more money out of their pockets.

And that's just one example from these dirty bast*rds.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

They don't even have to tell us. They are doing what every dev would do when their MMO sucks.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Moretrinkets

They don't even have to tell us. They are doing what every dev would do when their MMO sucks.

...which is to f@ck over all the original supporters. You're absolutely correct.