Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing Global Agenda and loving it!!

wahkuwahku Member UncommonPosts: 27

I just picked up a copy of Global Agenda. I'm happy I did cause I now once again have an MMO I'm really enjoying. I was so sick of trying to find an MMO to replace my first true love SWG & WOW. I'm having a blast again in the MMO world. Thanks HiRez  for a fun stable game with great players.

Do Or Do Not, There Is No Try.

Comments

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

It's barely even an mmo.   I played it at launch and got bored extremely fast.  My SWG guild played as well, and they all quit within a couple months.

It's a good shooter, but far from a good mmo.

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

Originally posted by Sabiancym

It's barely even an mmo.   I played it at launch and got bored extremely fast.  My SWG guild played as well, and they all quit within a couple months.

I wouldnt call it an MMO aswell, but still im playing it and having fun :-) And at the end its all what matters. Having fun.

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

To be fair, the game has significantly improved, in terms of content since release. I didn't think it was that good of a shooter, but it was a fun game. Though for a way better experience than the launched product, you could easily spend 7 dollars during a Steam sale and play Team Fortress 2.

Originally posted by Irish

To be fair, the game has significantly improved, in terms of content since release. I didn't think it was that good of a shooter, but it was a fun game. Though for a way better experience than the launched product, you could easily spend 7 dollars during a Steam sale and play Team Fortress 2.

Yep that is true. TF 2 + Futurer = Global Agenda more or less :-)

I prefer future style instead of carton action (im not saying that its aint fun).

EvE doors

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Yep, it's not a full-fledged MMO and the PvE is negligible, but it is quite fun for what it is.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Global Agenda is a rubbish non-MMO game. It held my attention for like 59 minutes. It is absolutely crappage.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Originally posted by chrisel

Global Agenda is a rubbish non-MMO game. It held my attention for like 59 minutes. It is absolutely crappage.

Different taste and diferent opinions. Without it the world would be damn bland.

EvE doors

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Sabiancym

Whether it is a MMO is irrelevant. If it is a good game, play it. There are plenty of people playing online shooters.

• wahkuwahku Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by Irish

I have TF2 but I enjoy GA more tho.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Bought GA last week and it was a very positive surprise and I found the game very addicitve!

I dont care if its a MMO or not, the only fact I care about is that Global Agenda is alot more fun than most MMOs out there and that without a monthly subscription.

Makes me sad to think that people are paying $15/month + microtransactions for a crappy MMO like Star trek when there are great no-sub games out there like GA that blows STO (and many others) out of the water.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• wahkuwahku Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by Papadam

Bought GA last week and it was a very positive surprise and I found the game very addicitve!

I dont care if its a MMO or not, the only fact I care about is that Global Agenda is alot more fun than most MMOs out there and that without a monthly subscription.

Makes me sad to think that people are paying $15/month + microtransactions for a crappy MMO like Star trek when there are great no-sub games out there like GA that blows STO (and many others) out of the water.

LOL it's funny you said that I just dropped my STO sub for GA hahaha and yea GA is addictive!

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

I bought it shortly after launch and after getting 4 characters (1 of each class) to level 10, I sort of lost interest.  But I decided to give it a shot again recently (after all of the news about the sandstorm update) and having a lot more fun the second time around... 

The reason?  I'm actually doing mercenary missions (PvP)!  I was sticking exclusively to PvE up until now, and although I pop back into PvE on occasion, the game is clearly built/caters to the PvP crowd (who like shooters).  The funny thing is - I'm not a PvP'er in other MMO's, but I love it in GA.

Looking forward to sandstorm phase 2 (I think?) when they expand upon PvE and add open world zones.  That's what really put me off when I first tried... all of the instancing.  The only thing on my wish list would be fully open world PvP zones, just like good 'ol PlanetSide.  Now that would be awesome!

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357

Yup, I've recently got back into it too and having a blast the 2nd time around on my lil' Robo, lots of cool toys to play with.

I had a quick dabble with the new open PvE zone on the test server, didn't want to ruin the surprise too much, and it looks quite promising. Looking forward to it's release... image

Originally posted by Kayless

Yup, I've recently got back into it too and having a blast the 2nd time around on my lil' Robo, lots of cool toys to play with.

I had a quick dabble with the new open PvE zone on the test server, didn't want to ruin the surprise too much, and it looks quite promising. Looking forward to it's release... image

How does one connect to the test server?  I've never noticed a server selection anywhere... but I'm at work and can't login now to check...

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by JPTX

How does one connect to the test server?  I've never noticed a server selection anywhere... but I'm at work and can't login now to check...

You access it via Steam.

It's under Library -> Tools -> Global Agenda Public Test Client.

Right click it and start the install and download process. Give it a few minutes to get everything created then quit out of Steam.

Find your normal 'live' GA install folder and copy everything, then find your new 'test' GA install folder that Steam has just created and paste everything in there.

Now restart Steam and continue the install, it will skip 95% of the download and just update the bits it needs for the test server. You've just saved yourself a 9GB download! image

EDIT: Just opened Steam and there's a new 3GB patch today...

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Yeah, the game is so much more fun once you hit 10 and can PvP.  It's basically the game.  Sure, I do pve from time to time, but Merc PvP and all that is so much more fun.

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

I had a lot of fun getting a couple of characters to 15 on the free trial although I agree the game is not really a MMORPG.

The thing that killed the game for me was the community.  After reading city chat for a few days I was truly amazed at how base the community was.  If I had seen the "WoW was the first MMO" troll-bait one more time I could have lost my faith in humanity.

Of course I had the option to turn city chat off and ignore the simpletons and if I'd stuck around and looked I could probably have found a mature group of players to hang with but I don't really want to play a game where I get the impression that 90% of the players can't handle its competitive nature.

Even with such a fun combat system, I'm not gonna play an online game where I ignore the majority of the community straight off the bat.  Add to this the fact that I would have needed to upgrade my comp to give the game its dues and it just wasn't worth the money to me.

The gameplay I experienced was fun though, no doubting that.

Originally posted by Torluk

I had a lot of fun getting a couple of characters to 15 on the free trial although I agree the game is not really a MMORPG.

The thing that killed the game for me was the community.  After reading city chat for a few days I was truly amazed at how base the community was.  If I had seen the "WoW was the first MMO" troll-bait one more time I could have lost my faith in humanity.

Of course I had the option to turn city chat off and ignore the simpletons and if I'd stuck around and looked I could probably have found a mature group of players to hang with but I don't really want to play a game where I get the impression that 90% of the players can't handle its competitive nature.

Even with such a fun combat system, I'm not gonna play an online game where I ignore the majority of the community straight off the bat.  Add to this the fact that I would have needed to upgrade my comp to give the game its dues and it just wasn't worth the money to me.

I turned off city chat last night... SO nice... but the one thing you unfortunately can't (or at least probably shouldn't) do is turn off team voice chat, and that's still a problem.  I get sick of people moaning and groaning on team chat about recons, or saying "WHAT are you DOING?!  GET on POINT!..." to the general group.  

Unless you can be constructive about it, just shut up (is my motto).  I suppose if I get into a good agency at some point, with mature, respectful people, I can just run with them and turn off the team chat...

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Hi Rez put an end to the "WoW was the first MMORPG" trolling a couple of weeks back. A GM came on and dared someone to say it, they did and he suspended them for 1 day. After doing this it has pretty much put a stop to the WoW trolls, have a look at city chat again it's pretty much cleaned up now.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Agricola1

Hi Rez put an end to the "WoW was the first MMORPG" trolling a couple of weeks back. A GM came on and dared someone to say it, they did and he suspended them for 1 day. After doing this it has pretty much put a stop to the WoW trolls, have a look at city chat again it's pretty much cleaned up now.

Takin out the trash LOL!

Hell, I liked the game, whether it's a "traditional" MMO or not. Now that it's completely F2P, I'm really thinking of going ahead and just buying the box. Guys like the OP are pushing me in that direction.

Originally posted by Kayless

Originally posted by JPTX

You access it via Steam.

It's under Library -> Tools -> Global Agenda Public Test Client.

Right click it and start the install and download process. Give it a few minutes to get everything created then quit out of Steam.

Find your normal 'live' GA install folder and copy everything, then find your new 'test' GA install folder that Steam has just created and paste everything in there.

Now restart Steam and continue the install, it will skip 95% of the download and just update the bits it needs for the test server. You've just saved yourself a 9GB download! image

EDIT: Just opened Steam and there's a new 3GB patch today...

Thanks Kayless!

I followed your directions and started patching last night, but saw it was going to take a long time.  Thought maybe I'd done something incorrect, but given that there was a 3GB patch, now I'm not surprised.  I let it run overnight and it appears to have worked, though I'll need to try it when I get home from work later today...

Err... scratch that... today is the wife's birthday... OK tomorrow then... :)

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

yeah, this game has complitely changed, ive been playing since alpha, its a pretty good shooter. sadly though, its not my style. i would recomend this to anyone thats just looking for the action part of an mmo.

• Deckard729Deckard729 Member Posts: 30

I personally just picked up the game and I am having a great time.  It certainly is not your regular MMO style gameplay and it definitely caters to those who like shooters, however it is really alot of fun!  If you're thinking about playing it, I would definitely recommend you go on ahead and take the plunge, just do not go in to it expecting a traditional MMO.