Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which laptop should i buy? need help

flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

Hello, i need help on buying a laptop for gaming in which i have to have because of traveling so a desktop is out of the question.  Many of you on here are much more knowledgeable than me so i am asking for advice.  Here are the 3  i am looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9741729.p?id=1218165344675&skuId=9741729

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=220

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP8690

With the Sager, i think i would get the ati 5870 and the 1920 x 1080 resolution but keep everything else like it is checked so it dont get too expensive. 

One of my concerns with the Asus is the resolution being the lowest out of all of them but not sure if that matters with a 17' screen but does have a better cpu i think and more memory.  i am just not knowledgeable enough so, any advice would be useful. 

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• RanmattRanmatt Member Posts: 16

I was in a similar situation and had my own thread on it http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3418845#3418845 take a look it might help ya decide. I went with the Asus G73JH A-2  stock and havent regretted it. the battery life is about 45 minutes so if your gonna be moving around alot then that will be a drawback but a gaming laptop isnt expected to have all that much battery life and until now they were expected to run bastard hot and required a cooling pad but with this one its quiet and doesnt get hot at all. i dont like the using the touchpad mouse thing it has but ive never liked any of em anyway and if they are still doing the deal where you get a gaming mouse and a backpack with it the mouse is really nice. 

I am Ranmatt

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Just to toss in another option, one that would be cheaper and would consume less power (not a bad thing on the mobile market, as that translates to less heat), is the MSI GX640. It's GPU is a 5850 instead of a 5870, however the mobile 5850 is just a slightly slower clocked version of the 5870, and the GDDR5 version (which the GX640 has) is only about 10% slower (really, check out their respective Notebookcheck pages here and here, the GX640's numbers are in there as the fastest of the 5850 numbers). The mobile 5850 also has only a 37W TDP instead of 50W, so, again, less heat, which means less cooling is required which translates into a lighter notebook. The GX640 is also very compact for travel, with only a 15.4' screen (which STILL has 1680x1050 resolution).

It's not necessarily "better", than, say, the MSI E7405 and it's 5870, but it's another option, and one that might better suit the truly mobile notebook user who still needs gaming power.

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Personally i was going to get that MSI laptop for my deployment, i found it cheaper on amazon though. Heres a link, MSI E7405-080US

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I have the Asus G73-A1 and let me tell you that the 5870 is a fantastic mobile card, and the cooling architecture of the asus with the fan boost with dual cooling (meanign the CPU and GPU are cooled seperately) means this is the first gaming laptop that runs all my games on high-max settings without requiring outside cooling and/or burning my lap. It has met and exceeded all my expectations in a gaming laptop. You will not be dissapointed in any of the G73 models (just keep in mind that the screen quality varies in the models).

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Good picks, definetly the top of this generation.  I would recommend the Acer Aspire AS8943G-6190 $1,399.99.  It has a cheap aura around it and performs about 10% slower then the ASUS G73, but it also has a long battery life for the components.  Its hard drive is also slow, so you might wanna get a second if you get this notebook.

The ASUS and the Acer model I just selected should be the better picks because they use an LED backlight.  This reduces power consumption and increases visual quality.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

The ASUS from BestBuy is a damn good deal. A buddy bought one when it was $1200, but he got a crappy screen.

That the laptop comes with

different screens.

One from some crap brand, the other from LG.

The one from LG is nice,

the other brand is really really bad....

I mean you can see black lines

where each pixel is separated!

It's terrible. The ONLY way to tell is to open up the box and it depends on whether the stickers are on the left side or right side (sorry I forget which image).... other than that the only way to tell is to turn it on and check the Hardware Profile. There is no difference in the model number, or any other distguishing marks on the box. 

On the 4th of July, we went to every-single Best Buy within 20miles of Atlanta, looking for one with the LG screen. The only one that had one had it on display and couldn't sell the display because it was the only one they had. 

So yeah, it's a damn good laptop but have Geek Squad open the box and find out what model the screen is. If the model number doesn't have LG in it, don't buy it. For some reason they increased the price $50 on July 6th for absolutely no reason. The laptop didn't change at all. 

Or there is the same laptop on Newegg for like $1500 or so. It's a little more upgraded and it comes with 2 hard drives. I don't know if that one has the screen brand issue like the one from Best Buy has. 

Edit: I give up on the formatting. These forums suck.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

The sager 8690 is one of my favorite laptops on the market.  Its elegant, powerfull and has everything i guess you can need...Check here if you didnt know about notebookreviews, there are alot of laptops out there for you to chose. 

If you have the cash there is a new x7200 that hasnt released yet, but will soon.  Specs are here .  IT has all the latest tech, you can get a desktop 980extream i7 and two 480m gtx sli nvidia.  ITs a beast! lol...you can even get a 120 hurts screen for 3D.  It also is aparently available with rgb led screen. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Anyone of those 3 laptops will do fine. Just pick the one you like the design best on.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

I want to thank everybody for responding, will be buyin a new computer monday probably

• therock3000therock3000 Member UncommonPosts: 48

out of curiousity, what computer are you planning to get?

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

well still not 100% sure but leaning towards the Asus, i am going to see if i can get the LG screen or if the display model has that screen.